Speaker/sub upgrades with stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaker/sub upgrades with stock amp?

So I'm mainly looking to upgrade my '07 TL-S sound system to be a bit more refined. It already sounds pretty decent, but I (mainly) don't like the semi-weak bass and some rattling from the sub.

I was hoping to upgrade the speakers/sub in the TL, but preferably with using the stock amp.

So I did some searching in the forums and found some pretty useful info. It sounds like a lot of people have been having good luck using Polk db651 (and db651s; what's the difference?) to replace the door and rear speakers. Infinities have also been suggested, but I'm not sure which way to lean (I've had good luck with Polks in the past though).

However, I heard conflicting views on whether it's worthwhile to replace the rear speakers (sounds like only if you care about the rear passengers). And it seems like replacing the front center speaker is useless as well. I was hoping I could get some clarification/verification of this.

My other issue is upgrading the rear sub. I want a stock look, so I'm not really interested in having 12's+ in a massive box. It works for some people, and I've been there done that. I'm not looking for anything that's going to shake the car apart or give me a heart attack, just something that provide some decent bass.

I'm curious whether there's a decent sub that can replace the stock one without much trouble that can still work off the stock amp. It seems that in most threads I've searched, people are using an extra amp; will the stock amp just not handle any more power?

Sorry if I overlooked any threads that already covered these specific questions. I appreciate any help.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

To simplify my questions:

1) Polk db651 vs Polk db651s vs Infinity XXX?
2) Ignore replacing rear deck and front center speaker to cut costs?
3) Is it worthwhile replacing the sub with the stock amp (and which sub)? Or do I basically have to invest in an extra amp to hear/feel any sort of difference?

Hopefully this will make it easier/cleaner to go through my questions. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
There was a thread on the specs of the stock amp.
IIRC, I dont think it is that powerful.

you might want to research free air moving subs.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a suggestion : don't do what you are thinking of doing. Trust me, I'm in the middle of upgrading the entire stereo (well, mostly) in my car, and if I knew what I knew now, I'd have done some things different.

1 - I wanted to be able to play mp3s from my player, I had a 2000 maxima and used the tape deck adapter, worked great. It sounded like crap with my 05 TL (I was shocked). It just didn't sound right, like it was missing bass, so I got a 10 inch sub installed in a box into the trunk. Sounded much better in terms of bass, but the front speakers still sounded bad, so I...

2 - got the front speakers and tweeters replaced, figuring that should fix it. 325 bucks. No difference in sound. Didn't get the amp put in (I don't know a damn thing about car audio, so don't laugh), said I would do it later. Like I said, no difference in sound.

Got the iSimple installed so I can connect my mp3 player. 150bucks , 80 to install. All good right? Nope. Now the damn stereo isn't loud enough. I figured I might have lost maybe 20% of loudness. Bass sounds good, clean, because of the sub. iSimple sounds MUCH MUCH better than the tape adapter. Front speakers quality is fine, but they just aren't loud enough.

I don't want to shake the street or rattle my car, but when I want to listen to Biggie or Metallica or whatever driving down highway doing 70 with the windows down, I want to be able to hear it, and I'm barely hearing it when I do this.

So, now it's off to get the amp installed to power the front speakers (my car audio guy explained to me that it's the fronts that are important, don't even touch the back fill speakers, put in a small sub for decent bass and good speakers up front and a crossover and amp and i'll have good clarity and loud volume.. after doing some research, he is correct, that is the pros do it). I'll probably bring it in on tuesday to do the amp to the front speakers.

All told, I'm going to be down about 955 bucks, but this is the last thing I need. If I have more volume up front, I"ll be fine. If I could do it over again, I'd get an amp to the front speakers first, as it seems this can make a perceiveable difference in sound while changing the speakers and not the amp will not make much of a difference, and get the iSimple. I'd add better front speakers and the sub later.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cross-Hair, I'd suggest you look into an Infinity Basslink. I have one and it makes a big difference in the bass. I'm happy with the sound now. Fits nicely in the left corner of the trunk. There are few threads about it. Here's a recent one.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=basslink
The following users liked this post:
Anthracite'04 (12-21-2014)
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You're setting yourself up for failure keeping the factory amp to power an aftermarket sub. You will be very disappointed. It is VERY weak and you will likely lose output by having it push an aftermarket sub.

I would suggest the Infinities if you're going to be using the stock amp. They seem to be a little more efficient than the rest.

There are many subs/boxes that won't take up a lot of trunk space. One very interesting one recently was a member's use of a shallow sub in a bandpass firing through the passthrough. It took up very little room, required less power for the same volume level and from what I hear sounds fantastic. I've never been as happy as I am with my own bandpass setup but that's for another thread.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it wise to get audio for a after market amp before the oem amp or after? I'm about to install this stuff in my 2005 TL.

1) JL HD900/5 amp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=537

2) JL 10W6v2 Sub Woofer
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

3) JL XD-PCS2-2B Power Connection Kit http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...l.php?cat_id=9

4) JL HD-RLC Remote Volume Control
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...hp?page_id=253

5) JL XB-BLUAIC2-18 RCA wires
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...r=91628/1451.0

6) JL XB-BLUAIC4-18 RCA wires
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...LUAIC4-18.aspx

7) JL SGR-10W6V2 sub grill
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zUM4ZQG...GR-10W6v2.html

Joe’s 2005 TL Audio pg 2-2

8) JL CleanSweep CL441dsp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?page_id=211

9) JL CleanSweep CL-SSI
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=387

10) JL XD-CLRAIC2-SW (x’s 2) RCA to Speaker Wire Plugs
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...l.php?cat_id=5
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cross-Hair
So I'm mainly looking to upgrade my '07 TL-S sound system to be a bit more refined. It already sounds pretty decent, but I (mainly) don't like the semi-weak bass and some rattling from the sub.

I was hoping to upgrade the speakers/sub in the TL, but preferably with using the stock amp.

My other issue is upgrading the rear sub. I want a stock look, so I'm not really interested in having 12's+ in a massive box. It works for some people, and I've been there done that. I'm not looking for anything that's going to shake the car apart or give me a heart attack, just something that provide some decent bass.

I'm curious whether there's a decent sub that can replace the stock one without much trouble that can still work off the stock amp. It seems that in most threads I've searched, people are using an extra amp; will the stock amp just not handle any more power?

Sorry if I overlooked any threads that already covered these specific questions. I appreciate any help.
I have the exact same questions as you so thank you for making this post and saving me the time write it. I think the stock stereo is awful and I just wanted something simple to make it sound a little better. Maybe replace a few front speakers and add a small sub in the trunk. My wife's Hyundai Sonata sounds like it has a better stereo system (well maybe not, but for a luxury car the TL's stereo is pretty weak).
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You're setting yourself up for failure keeping the factory amp to power an aftermarket sub. You will be very disappointed. It is VERY weak and you will likely lose output by having it push an aftermarket sub.

I would suggest the Infinities if you're going to be using the stock amp. They seem to be a little more efficient than the rest.

There are many subs/boxes that won't take up a lot of trunk space. One very interesting one recently was a member's use of a shallow sub in a bandpass firing through the passthrough. It took up very little room, required less power for the same volume level and from what I hear sounds fantastic. I've never been as happy as I am with my own bandpass setup but that's for another thread.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but it seems like you're saying two contradictory things.

If he's able to get similar volume with less power, shouldn't this be possible with a drop-in sub using the stock wiring (using same or less power?). Or is a free-air sub never going to be as good a sealed one?

I just don't want to spend a TON of money trying to upgrade the system with 4x speakers, 2x tweeters, center, amp, sub(s), box. So I'm trying to find an efficient solution.

I'm trying to keep the total budget under ~$500 (self-installed), and want to see if it's even worth it or if I basically have to go big or go home...
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Cross-hair, did you ever get your ideas materialized?

to answer your question above, the reason why he was able to get similar volume with less power is because his bandpass box is very efficient.
Free air, won't allow you to do this.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
9th Gear

I have an 04 TL and all I did to the sound system was install the iSimple ipod hookup, and installed the system from my old car (JL 12W7 with a 1,000 watt Kicker Amp). I dont know how loud you want your stock speakers to push but my car sounds phenominal with my stock speakers and aftermarket sup/amp. I have heard that its possible to tweek the stock amp that powers the front and rear speakers to make them louder but I haven't done much research on that because i enjoy the way it sounds now.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
9th Gear

Well I know exactly what you are trying to do because I am doing the same. I have replaced the stock speakers in many of my vehicles and never used an amp for anything other than the subwoofer. On your install trust me when I say you will be happy using Infinity Reference or Kappa series speakers front and rear (make sure you get 2 ohm). The 2 ohm will match your stock setup because your factory speakers are also 2 ohm. I have read the same threads saying that replacing the center channel did not do much. I have to disagree. I changed my center channel speaker to a Infinity Reference 3032cf. It definitely made a difference. I used to have center channel set at +5, now at +1. I am changing front and rears with Infinity Reference. Its not to say that the others who have given you advice thus far wrong. They are correct, using an amp is preferred and will sound the best. But like you, I am going to use existing stock amp and I guarantee will sound much better than stock. If still not satisfied you can then add an amp. Take small steps.