Sound system advice Part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound system advice Part II

Part I is here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/sound-system-advice-806061/

so - I'm a bit discouraged. I went into another local shop (Car Toys) and asked them to architect a system that will do waht I want it to do - louder with more bass but using the stock deck - they didn't have the chance to look at my car since I drove my truck, but they gave me a ball park which I wasn't prepared for - +3,000. cracks me up. everything is a big deal and really really technical and complex. 40% is installation.

ok. I think I am going to throw in the towel and just learn to like the stock system. I cant spend 3K for a system on a car I drive 8 to 12 times a month and hwne I do its a 20 minute commute one way. i can do 1500 maybe 2000 if I absolutely had to, but thats it.

i know this is more of a rant than anything. I am bit a jelous at all of you who know this stuff, can speak the language and can install it yourself. for all of you who have pinged me and offered help I do appreciate it.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
You could cut that budget in half if you bought smart and did it all yourself.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^ can't agree more ... I think it's definitely worth spending the time to doing some research on the concepts behind car audio in general as well as audio equipment ... then some reading on how to install would be the next step (believe it or not, I actually found youtube to be a very valuable source for some basic lessons)

I spent nearly half an year (probably less) gradually spending the time to gain some knowledge regarding ca before I had actual music running from a new setup ... although it took time, you'll definitely feel better in the end knowing you've had the satisfaction of having DIY as opposed to wasting +$3k ... you can purchase different equipment over time as well to help with financials ...

again if you're desperate for improved sound RIGHT NOW ... you can try looking into other installers, but again decent places will charge a premium for their services ...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many DIY posts here to help. You can always as questions and you will get answers, some good some not but i have installed for over ten years (currently work on the manufacture side now) You mention Car Toys are you in the NW.

If you don't drive the car much and have a place to store parts, you can disassemble the car over a period of time and take your time to learn and save big..... if you are anything like my self it isn't the end product it is the journey getting there.

I believe my setup could be had for around $1500-1700 if bought smart. I work at a shop when i did the install but i know there are many great products out there for similar prices.... For reference my install can be seen here.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=carologist

any questions let me know.....
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying used is not everyone, but, check out DIYMA's classified section. For example, if you are looking for oem intergration, you can find Zapco DSP6's, RF 360.2's, Apline products, Bit one's or MS8's for good prices. Most of the guys on that site that have been on the site for awhile take good care of their stuff and sell it well below retail. I only caution you that it becomes addictive.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by tlfreek
Part I is here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806061

so - I'm a bit discouraged. I went into another local shop (Car Toys) and asked them to architect a system that will do waht I want it to do - louder with more bass but using the stock deck - they didn't have the chance to look at my car since I drove my truck, but they gave me a ball park which I wasn't prepared for - +3,000. cracks me up. everything is a big deal and really really technical and complex. 40% is installation.

ok. I think I am going to throw in the towel and just learn to like the stock system. I cant spend 3K for a system on a car I drive 8 to 12 times a month and hwne I do its a 20 minute commute one way. i can do 1500 maybe 2000 if I absolutely had to, but thats it.

i know this is more of a rant than anything. I am bit a jelous at all of you who know this stuff, can speak the language and can install it yourself. for all of you who have pinged me and offered help I do appreciate it.

If your goal really is louder with more bass and the stock deck, that can be done extremely cheap.

If you're not looking for anything that great:

The stock speakers will sound much better and louder with an amp and I've pushed my stock rears pretty hard with 3-4x more power than they're rated for and 3 years later they're fine.

Get something like a JL 10W3 in a ported or sealed box. You can run a 5 or 6 channel amp that will power both the front and sub. You're talking under $600 if you do it yourself. If not, most places will do an install like that for $100-$200.

If you find that you don't like the stock fronts on an amp, worst case you blow $200 on an aftermarket set of comps and you would have to get the amp anyway so no money is wasted in the upgrade. I really like the Image Dynamics CTX65cs in the under $200 category.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
$3,000!?? What the hell did they piece together for you?...3 sets of Dynaudio's, a DD 95? lol. Like IHC stated, if getting loud is your primary concern...that's not a problem with a 1/3 of that budget. Granted you won't win any competitions, etc but seeing how you don't drive all that much it'd be stupid to invest a ton of money into it. Check craigslist, DIY classifieds, etc and buy used if you have to. 1 ported 12, a set of components, and a decent 4-channel and be done. Even if you got that installed you be under 1G.