Carologist Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carologist Stereo Install

Hey guys how is going. well my stereo wasn't cutting it so I'm starting the install process today.
Here is the plan.

Sound deadening
dice ipod/aux adapter
video/ back up cam input to the nav screen
Image Dynamic xs65 comp for the front
Image Dynamic ctx 6 for the rears
JL audio 8"w3v2
JL audio xd 6/600 amp
cache coe 8
i simple is76 for ipod video
back up cam

factory locations for every thing and no loss of space in the trunk is the goal plan to be done by this Friday.

Will post pictures tonight when i get home (might be late)

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 07-01-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Well? How's it going so far?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Update

Ok heres and Up date with pics have more so if there is some that that you wanted to see in particular i can post more.

Still left to complete
Front Speakers
Rear Speakers
Sub and enclosure
Some Sound Deadening

For the Pics

My Gear

My Fuel

After and Hour and a half I had the every thing out but pretty much the dash to apply sound damping

Sound Damping in

Back Up Cam IN

Nav to Tv Box In (it is mounted on the back of the support held in place with two zip ties)

in the Factory Amp location
Signal Converter/ Line Driver Taking the signal direct from the deck and boosting the out put voltage to about 4.5v. this unit can bump it up to 9 but i think that is a bit high

Crossovers mounted. and some of the wiring

Wiring is alway fun

The Amp is in and yes i have a bout 1/2 inch clearance from the trunk arm

the ipod video switch in the upper cubby. the ipod video cable will be also in here (might make some cool later but kinda need to get my car together before the fourth

I will post more pictures of the front speaker install and the sub enclosure as i do them I hope by friday night it will be complete. Questions and comment are always welcome, I have been doing stereo and alarm remote start stuff for 15 years, so i can definitely answer some questions

Last edited by carologist; 07-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
cache coe 8

Didn't know too much about this Cache COE 8 LOC. Only found a few ebay/online shop entries on Google. Looks like this is a very handy & easy to use LOC.

I'm thinking about getting the RockFord 360.2 because it has 6 channels + the option to fine tune the system by adjusting the EQ on a computer via the Bluetooth connection.

But I'm also thinking about keeping the system simple with a good quailty LOC. Keeping the options open here.

Understood that there is a price difference between this device & the 360,

1) how's the built quality of this device?
2) Most importantly, signal quality? very clean?
3) I'm just wondering how well this device works compared to the 360. Any idea?

Thanks for taking the time to post & sharing your experience,
Cheers.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced

I work at a stereo shop and i got the cache piece for less than 100 bucks.
I have used a few of them with good results.
In my case i am using this more as a 6 channel line driver. I am taking the low 1ish volt out put from the stock deck and bummping it up to 4.5 ish but the coe8 can out put 9 volts. The Cache Coe8 is pretty much a copy of an Audio Control LC8.

I had my day off yesterday and was able to get alot done. plans for today get the fronts and rears hooked up and playing and finish the sound deadening.

At this time i am still trying to figure out the enclosure for the 8" JL sub. Debating if i can do a wood box or if i will need to go fyberglass(hope not make my car smell)

Last edited by carologist; 07-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
all that sound deadening adds to much weight to the car. Not that i dont have it myself but i guess there is always a negative side to everything . good luck with the install.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Advanced

i think i am only adding about 60-70 lbs of sound deadening. Worth it IMO for a quieter ride and more audio headroom volume
Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice progress so far!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Advanced

tonight i was able to get the front four speaker wired up and playing.

the COE8 is not a line driver as i though and i dont need it at all. i could have run the out put from the head unit direct to the amp how ever i am going to try and find a 6 channel line driver with a eq so maybe a 360.2 or some thing in the future if i sm not pleased with the sound
Old 07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carologist
tonight i was able to get the front four speaker wired up and playing.

the COE8 is not a line driver as i though and i dont need it at all. i could have run the out put from the head unit direct to the amp how ever i am going to try and find a 6 channel line driver with a eq so maybe a 360.2 or some thing in the future if i sm not pleased with the sound
Interesting. I assume the ID amps you have have an input plug for you to connect the stock HU signal wires to it. Curious to see if you will plan to get the 360.2 to improve SQ, if needed.

Keep us posted. Thanks for the info. Helps me to form a big picture of what I'm gonna do with my sound system.

Cheers.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work so far. i'm actually in the middle of my own install as well. i'll be posting the whole deal soon enough so people can pull ideas from what i've done and critique. i'm going to steal your idea for the video switch, never thought about putting it there :-). keep up the good work and keep those pics coming.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Update:

coe8 is working as planned i had a summing switch on the amp turned on.... opps
the video switchs is in a great location easy to use and out of sight.

it has been a while and the mid bass is incredible.. LOVE IT.

I have not had time to finish my sub inclosure so still no word on the sub.
the sound deading helped quite it down a bit more in the car, probably improved sound but did it all at the same time.

the is76 I simple video ipod adapter has some noise trying to figure that out still should have run a common ground wire when every thing was apart. will run one when the rear comes apart to finish the sub enclosure. and some lines on the screen from some thing on the back up cam, not horrible but it shouldn't be there.

need to finish the tweeter covers... still just no time... changing jobs and got two kids...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Interesting. I assume the ID amps you have have an input plug for you to connect the stock HU signal wires to it. Curious to see if you will plan to get the 360.2 to improve SQ, if needed.

Keep us posted. Thanks for the info. Helps me to form a big picture of what I'm gonna do with my sound system.

Cheers.
those are ID cross overs i have just the one jl amp. xd600/6 sounds great and no over heating issues. however i am not running the sub at all yet, no enclosure yet..
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Didn't know too much about this Cache COE 8 LOC. Only found a few ebay/online shop entries on Google. Looks like this is a very handy & easy to use LOC.

I'm thinking about getting the RockFord 360.2 because it has 6 channels + the option to fine tune the system by adjusting the EQ on a computer via the Bluetooth connection.

But I'm also thinking about keeping the system simple with a good quailty LOC. Keeping the options open here.

Understood that there is a price difference between this device & the 360,

1) how's the built quality of this device?
2) Most importantly, signal quality? very clean?
3) I'm just wondering how well this device works compared to the 360. Any idea?

Thanks for taking the time to post & sharing your experience,
Cheers.
Build quality is great. seems to be a copy of the audio control lc8
No Nosie from the coe8 at all in my istall or any other install that i have done
the 360 is a processor the coe8 is more of a signal summing and line driver with an aux in no sound processing capabilities. I have an rta machine at work will try and play around with it today a bit to see if i can get a good read out for you guys to see how this setup responds
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Don't know why I didn't receive an email when you replied. Was reading this post:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/sound-system-advice-part-ii-808804/

and clicked on the link you posted and learned that, hey, you replied to my posts!

Didn't mean to ignore your replies. Thanks for all the info Carologist!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced

No worries. It took some time to finish the trunk the way I was happy with.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Is the system finished? Can we see updated pics?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced

The Audio Side of the system is finish. I am currently working on an Ipod Dock in the factory tape slot and possibly a holder for an ipod to control the video feed to the screen. Every thing looks factory except the sup box. Pictures below....

Just waiting for a nice day to finish the Trunk linner
Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The Audio Side of the system is finish. I am currently working on an Ipod Dock in the factory tape slot and possibly a holder for an ipod to control the video feed to the screen. Every thing looks factory except the sup box. Pictures below....

Im not sure what im looking at? I see the piece coming down but....im not still not sure lol
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Advanced

that is the box the sub is facing up though the factory sub location. The enclosure is below and drops down behind the rear seat to get it the volume needed. I have only lost about 3 inches the the forward most part of the trunk and it increases closer to the rear deck. It is hard to see it in the picture. It was design a stealth install and if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice job on the install. Is the box for the sub two sections? It looks like it splits in the middle.

Also, where you mounted your amp, do you think a McIntosh MC431 would fit in that location?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM

that is the box the sub is facing up though the factory sub location. The enclosure is below and drops down behind the rear seat to get it the volume needed. I have only lost about 3 inches the the forward most part of the trunk and it increases closer to the rear deck. It is hard to see it in the picture. It was design a stealth install and if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know.
Any details on this box? Exact measurements, cubic ft, how many subs etc? Im interested in what you did.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

The box is a wood fyberglass inclouser. One 10" jl w3 v2 sub with about 200watts goign to it. the box space is about 5 to 10% larger than the reccomended sealed enclosure.

The box parralles the rear deck tray and then follows the back seat to the floor (3/4" mdf) comes out from the seat about 3" or so. The sides are mdf as weel and the face that you can see in the pictures is wood and fyber glass. The box is mounted to the x bracing where the rear seat is and through the deck tray. I will have to draw a picture and then post that, this is a box that is better seen than described. FYI this box does require heavy modification of the rear deack tray to fit....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

I am interested in replacing my factory amp with something like the XD600/6 myself. Is there anyway you could post a wiring diagram of this install. I am curious how you ran the center channel and sub signals to the 6 channel amp. I assume channel 1 is FR + FL, channel 2 is RR + RL, and channel 3 is Center and Sub? If this is the case then how are you able to adjust frequencies on the sub and center independently of each other. I may be missing something completely and hope that i am

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by CarologistFB
The box is a wood fyberglass inclouser. One 10" jl w3 v2 sub with about 200watts goign to it. the box space is about 5 to 10% larger than the reccomended sealed enclosure.

The box parralles the rear deck tray and then follows the back seat to the floor (3/4" mdf) comes out from the seat about 3" or so. The sides are mdf as weel and the face that you can see in the pictures is wood and fyber glass. The box is mounted to the x bracing where the rear seat is and through the deck tray. I will have to draw a picture and then post that, this is a box that is better seen than described. FYI this box does require heavy modification of the rear deack tray to fit....
Thanks for the info. I would defiantly like to see a picture or schematic of some sorts.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMagik
I am interested in replacing my factory amp with something like the XD600/6 myself. Is there anyway you could post a wiring diagram of this install. I am curious how you ran the center channel and sub signals to the 6 channel amp. I assume channel 1 is FR + FL, channel 2 is RR + RL, and channel 3 is Center and Sub? If this is the case then how are you able to adjust frequencies on the sub and center independently of each other. I may be missing something completely and hope that i am

Thanks!
Channel 1 = FL
Channel 2 = FR
Ch 3 = RL
CH 4 = RR
CH 5 = Center
Ch 6 = Sub

Most people leave the center channel powered from the stock amp, most audio installs wont utilize the full potential of a center channel unless you do what CarologistFB has done or will be listening/viewing DVD's.

This can help you:
http://www.the12volt.com/Default.asp?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Advanced

I do have the xd 600/6 but I have channels 5 and 6 bridged for the sub and no center. I believe it is running at about 70 watts x 4 and 250ish x 1 . I was thinking of running it as a three channel amp but those speakers are quite efficient and defiantly don't need to.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Advanced

So about the crude Drawing and its way it has found its way to the web......

But this might shed a bit more light on how this fits in the car.....

I hope this helps sorry i don't have better dimensions. I don't have my original plans any more. but every sub would need some thing different and i do remember alot of it was fit then trim. I hope that helps....
Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM

So about the crude Drawing and its way it has found its way to the web......

But this might shed a bit more light on how this fits in the car.....

I hope this helps sorry i don't have better dimensions. I don't have my original plans any more. but every sub would need some thing different and i do remember alot of it was fit then trim. I hope that helps....
Thanks !
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Nice work man!

The Audio Side of the system is finish. I am currently working on an Ipod Dock in the factory tape slot and possibly a holder for an ipod to control the video feed to the screen. Every thing looks factory except the sup box. Pictures below.... (removed pix from quote to save loading time for the others)
Just waiting for a nice day to finish the Trunk linner
This is IMPRESSIVE man! This is exactly what I want to achieve. Having everything installed with a stock LOOK!

I have more to think about now damn it! My biggest problem is to fit the old school Orion HCCA 12" DVC into the truck w/o sacrificing trunk space + spare tire, and, be able to use the plastic trunk liner like the way you do...

Back to the drawing board for me. Thanks for da inspiration!!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

How in the world did you get the 600/6 to go in that location? I am in the middle of an install and can't figure out a way to get it to stay in that spot....

HELP!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I hope everything works out ok (carologist). Cutting the rear deck in that area is not a good thing on a unibody car. You've got the weight of the car on the shocks nearby and almost nothing in the middle to take the lateral stresses. Think about it as removing the front strut bar but worse. It doesn't seem that bad since it's not an actual "frame". I'm curious if you can feel a difference.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Good point

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I hope everything works out ok (carologist). Cutting the rear deck in that area is not a good thing on a unibody car. You've got the weight of the car on the shocks nearby and almost nothing in the middle to take the lateral stresses. Think about it as removing the front strut bar but worse. It doesn't seem that bad since it's not an actual "frame". I'm curious if you can feel a difference.
I thought about the same thing too indeed. Do you feel any difference in terms of handling Carologist?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlakMagik
How in the world did you get the 600/6 to go in that location? I am in the middle of an install and can't figure out a way to get it to stay in that spot....

HELP!
The 600/6 is behind the left panel in the trunk. You might be thinking of the factory amp location , that is where i have my cache loc8. it is much thiner than the 600/6. I hope that helps.

I thought about the same thing too indeed. Do you feel any difference in terms of handling Carologist?
None, however i don't drive very spirited. I have other toys for that. Look at this way. if i removed the sub enclosure i would stiffing that area again, but the box has been secured to the cross bracing and the rear deck tray itself, acting as part of the car. This though did cross my mind but i have not noted any ill effects.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=carologist;12743176]The 600/6 is behind the left panel in the trunk. You might be thinking of the factory amp location , that is where i have my cache loc8. it is much thiner than the 600/6. I hope that helps.

I am actually trying to mount the amp in same spot in the trunk that you are...i just don't see a clear angle to mount it properly is all. Where exactly did you screw the amp into. I guess if you could snap a few shots up close of the amp in that location would help me out TREMENDOUSLY!

Thanks in advance,
Blak.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

I am at work right now but i will look threw the pics that i have and see what i can find to post for you..... I did use a heavy dudy back strap to make stand offs to mount the amp to/ with. The amp it vertical and clears the trunk arm less than an Inch.... If you have a larger amp the right side of the trunk might have more usable room to work with as the fuel filler is not there.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Ok these are the only pics that i have for the Mounted Amp. I hope that this will help you. If you have any questions i we try and help the best i can.

I used three pieces of back strap(heaver dudy) to mount the amp and then just one screw.

Another angle you can see one of the straps well in this pic

This is showing the clearance between the trunk arm and tha mounted amp it is about 3/8" I was shooting for about 1/2"

I hope this helps...

Last edited by carologist; 03-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Racer

interesting mounting location.... i like it.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ I wish I could have hidden my amps that way (Maybe I can), instead, mine is like this:

Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced

there are issues that might arise from amps mounted in confined spaces. The Amp I am running is completely tunned to not over drive any speaker in the car and is runniong a total of . and i haven't had any over heating issues threw one summer so far. there is limited space behind the panels so larger amps might not fit to well. about 430 watts. 60x4 and 250ish for the sub. But Looking at your install, I would probably just make a false wall to hid/protect your amps and such. But to each there own. Nice Setup BTW Simple and easy.

Quick Reply: Carologist Stereo Install