Replacing OEM sub with AfterMarket sub...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I have to say it, and this is as an installer, the factory TL system is very lacking. Sound quality is good, but not near enough sound, nor bass. Free air subs are something of the past, don't use them. If you are looking for good tight bass without having to worry about having to much bass, you will want to use a 10" sub in a sealed box. If you want more bass and don't mind giving up trunk space, go with a square port box with either a single 12" or dual 10's. If you are just wanting a ton of bass and really don't care about the trunk at all then go with 2 12's in a square port box.

I have two eights right now in a sealed box, it's more bass then factory but not enough for me. I was playing with the box design, so I am going to take it up to a single 12. Here is a link to a thread of my current box. Sub Box Link

But please don't try to do a free air!!

Jason

I have to agree with this guy! A 10' or 12" in a sealed box, preferably an JL Audio W3 or Orion.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Racer

Also make sure that your Hands Free Link System is not interrupted by the uninstalling of the Factory system.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nhousepro
Also make sure that your Hands Free Link System is not interrupted by the uninstalling of the Factory system.

Simple, use the factory head and all speaker channels!

edit- I don't think that having the sub disconnected will be a problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Man that thing small...just once I'd like to see a car manufacturer put in a decent system stock so people don't have to replace everything...maybe make it an option, but something.

KoP - measurements would be appreciated...maybe there's something out there that will be a good replacement.

The amp measures 5 1/2W X 7L X 1 3/4 H

All processing and equalization is done by the HU. The HU does equalization to correct for car acoutics, speakers and give the desired sonic signature of designer, Elliot Scheiner.

Building a sealed box around the stock sub location would be very difficult since the seat belt anchors, rear speakers among other things that are located in this area. There is also a metal crossmember that runs along the back trunk area that would have to be addressed. Just too many things to try to seal even before you build the box. I looked at all alternatives before I did my install. Hate to say it but the best way to go is a seal box for a 10 or 12 if you want accurate bass. I went with a sealed 10.

Finallygotmine:

Here is a link to my install. Keeping the stock HU and replacing the amp,speakers, etc has given me an amazing boast in SQ. There are signal processors such as the cleansweep and the 3sixty that can correct for HU stock equalization. The stock HU is actually very good, it's the amp and speakers have to be upgraded for better sound.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133822

Here's a link to some amp equalization measurements done by JL Audio

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118874&highlight=cleansweep
Old 04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Military Enforcer

so all you need is loc's after the stock amp and you can leave it hooked up to an aftermarket amp?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 PM
4th Gear

i was looking into doing the same by installing an 8 inch sub where the oem one is located. JL audio made a sub that is called the IB4 it is now discontinued. I'm sure you could probably find this sub on ebay or maybe even you local jl authorized dealer but i know for a fact that is the sub that fits right into the oem sub port without any slicing and dicing
Old 04-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For those concerned about space, what about aperodic membranes? They have virtually no box and from what I remember, provide excellent sound quality.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rpatel10
i was looking into doing the same by installing an 8 inch sub where the oem one is located. JL audio made a sub that is called the IB4 it is now discontinued. I'm sure you could probably find this sub on ebay or maybe even you local jl authorized dealer but i know for a fact that is the sub that fits right into the oem sub port without any slicing and dicing
Thats the sub I have installed in my car. Provides decent bass
Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by King of Pain

All processing and equalization is done by the HU. The HU does equalization to correct for car acoutics, speakers and give the desired sonic signature of designer, Elliot Scheiner.

Building a sealed box around the stock sub location would be very difficult since the seat belt anchors, rear speakers among other things that are located in this area. There is also a metal crossmember that runs along the back trunk area that would have to be addressed. Just too many things to try to seal even before you build the box. I looked at all alternatives before I did my install. Hate to say it but the best way to go is a seal box for a 10 or 12 if you want accurate bass. I went with a sealed 10.

Finallygotmine:

Here is a link to my install. Keeping the stock HU and replacing the amp,speakers, etc has given me an amazing boast in SQ. There are signal processors such as the cleansweep and the 3sixty that can correct for HU stock equalization. The stock HU is actually very good, it's the amp and speakers have to be upgraded for better sound.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133822

Here's a link to some amp equalization measurements done by JL Audio

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118874&highlight=cleansweep
KOP,

Where did you find out that the stock HU does equalization ? If that is definitely true it would be interesting to find out what frequencies are being boosted/cut. I have my bass and treble controls both set on +3 for all my listening.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by itsjac
Thats the sub I have installed in my car. Provides decent bass
What amp did you add on the sub? And did you put the sub where the stock one once was?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Pain
Thanks for the info.

With regards to a removable box, that's what my last set up was. The amp was more or less permanently attached, but the sub box had two wires running to it..disconnect those and you could just pull the box out.

My main concern with this set up again is the fact that the box + amp is heavy and weighs down the rear of the car (which as you know is already lower than the front)...I do not want to intensify this effect. I could easily take one of my subs and put it in a new, light weight box, which combined with the amp, wouldn't be too heavy (and be removable). Could I just disconnect the wire from the stock amp to the sub and run it to my amp? Or would I need some device in between to cut down the input strength?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lembowski
What amp did you add on the sub? And did you put the sub where the stock one once was?
Yes put the sub in the old space and used a jl 250/1 Amp
Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Banned

What other JL subs can we use? I can't seem to locate the JL 8IB4
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

I emailed JL and they indicated that the only "free air" subs they currently make are the marine units. Elemental Designs makes an 8" than can run free air or sealed. Check the thread on "sealed box in stock location". https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143388
Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ComptechTL
What other JL subs can we use? I can't seem to locate the JL 8IB4

I have a JL 8IB4, with the original box that it came in that I'm not using and willing to sell. PM me for details if you are interested.

(clarification: by "box" i mean packaging, not an enclosure)