Replacement Amp Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement Amp Help!!

Looking to replace my factory amp in my 07 TL. I saw another post with a rockford fosgate plug and play replacement, that fits in the original location (passenger kick panel). If anyone knows where I can either find that amp, or either another amp with some more power that can fit in that location, it'd be a huge help. Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts
IIRC, that "plug and play" replacement amp was a deal where someone would take your old (and possibly busted) amp and "recycle" some of it by hybridizing a RF amp with the stock amp's connectors. This isn't a terrible idea, but it isn't cheap and it has its drawbacks. For one, it's only a 4-channel solution, meaning you have to amp the sub yourself and you lose the center speaker (including the nav voice). Also, it looks like the OP isn't offering it anymore.

For upgrading a working system, your options are thus:
- Just add an outboard sub and dial back the bass in the mains to reduce intermodulation distortion
- Replace the stock amp with a trunk-mount, which means lots of extra wire and effort, plus you need extra channels for the center channel and sub. This is the best option for maximum audio quality, though.

Or, if you're just trying to replace a broken stock amp because it's lost power or makes noises:
- Buy a new stock amp (04-08 all used the same amp even though the parts numbers differ slightly). eBay is your friend here. I've seen the 07/08 PN go for as cheap as $75.
- Repair your existing amp as described HERE. It's not too difficult, but requires a little soldering knowledge. Total parts cost is only like $20, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by chefboyardee:
mcmguti (02-20-2015), ramsey1166 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefboyardee
IIRC, that "plug and play" replacement amp was a deal where someone would take your old (and possibly busted) amp and "recycle" some of it by hybridizing a RF amp with the stock amp's connectors. This isn't a terrible idea, but it isn't cheap and it has its drawbacks. For one, it's only a 4-channel solution, meaning you have to amp the sub yourself and you lose the center speaker (including the nav voice). Also, it looks like the OP isn't offering it anymore.

For upgrading a working system, your options are thus:
- Just add an outboard sub and dial back the bass in the mains to reduce intermodulation distortion
- Replace the stock amp with a trunk-mount, which means lots of extra wire and effort, plus you need extra channels for the center channel and sub. This is the best option for maximum audio quality, though.

Or, if you're just trying to replace a broken stock amp because it's lost power or makes noises:
- Buy a new stock amp (04-08 all used the same amp even though the parts numbers differ slightly). eBay is your friend here. I've seen the 07/08 PN go for as cheap as $75.
- Repair your existing amp as described HERE. It's not too difficult, but requires a little soldering knowledge. Total parts cost is only like $20, though.
Thanks a ton!