Replace Music Link with USA Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Replace Music Link with USA Spec?

How hard would it be to replace the Music Link in my '06 TL with the USA Spec. I got the dealer to install the Music Link for almost nothing, but am really disappointed with it. So the cable and everything is already installed for the Music Link, how hard would it be to swap the units?

-Eric
Old 01-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
From what I've read, the Y-adapter used by the MusicLink can also be used for the USA Spec PA11-HON2 to retain XM. The PA11-HON2y has its own Y-adapter, but I'm not sure if its attached to the main unit or not.

Either case. its simply unplugging one and replacing it with the other. Its getting to the plug and locating a good mounting location thats more difficult.

Good luck with the switch.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
From what I've read, the Y-adapter used by the MusicLink can also be used for the USA Spec PA11-HON2 to retain XM. The PA11-HON2y has its own Y-adapter, but I'm not sure if its attached to the main unit or not.

Either case. its simply unplugging one and replacing it with the other. Its getting to the plug and locating a good mounting location thats more difficult.

Good luck with the switch.
"From what you've read..."? Can you confirm this, and if so, where? I'm planning the same switchover (when I get the updated firmware from USASpec to resolve the "skip" issue) and also wish to retain XM; just replacing the brain/box would save me quite a bit of the effort, obviously. I presumed I would have to replace the whole works (box, cables). If the MusicLink cable is pinned out the same, that would be fabulous.

Thanks for any add'l substantiation you might be able to provide...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Either way you'll have to take the center dash and console apart to do the install. So if you fell taking the console apart is simple then this will be simple. As many times as I have taken the console apart this is a more than easy task for me, so I would say its a cake walk. Also you'd just remove the Musiclink entirely and install the USAspec like a new install. The new USAspec has the "Y" harness so you can retain XM. Goodluck
Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski
Either way you'll have to take the center dash and console apart to do the install. So if you fell taking the console apart is simple then this will be simple. As many times as I have taken the console apart this is a more than easy task for me, so I would say its a cake walk. Also you'd just remove the Musiclink entirely and install the USAspec like a new install. The new USAspec has the "Y" harness so you can retain XM. Goodluck
I've read on these forums that the back of the radio can be accessed by just removing the driver's side kick panel. Can you be more specific as to "your cakewalk"? Some of us (me!) are not as handy/fearless as others in taking apart the dash/console components.

Thanks...
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Trucki!!

Well if your hands are that small try it. I couldn't access it that way. My cakewalk consists it only takes me 5 minutes to take the console apart now. Its easy really.

Also you don't know where they put the Musiclink unit, so you will have to take it apart
Old 01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Well if your hands are that small try it. I couldn't access it that way. My cakewalk consists it only takes me 5 minutes to take the console apart now. Its easy really.

Also you don't know where they put the Musiclink unit, so you will have to take it apart
Once again (and I'm not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful, promise...I really do appreciate any/all help here), "It's really easy" does not provide enough info to the mechanically-stupid (i.e., ME!). Can you be specific as to the steps you followed (or load some photos)? As in, "I removed thus-and-so clip to dislodge thus-and-so piece, etc."

Thanks....
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by drat19
Once again (and I'm not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful, promise...I really do appreciate any/all help here), "It's really easy" does not provide enough info to the mechanically-stupid (i.e., ME!). Can you be specific as to the steps you followed (or load some photos)? As in, "I removed thus-and-so clip to dislodge thus-and-so piece, etc."

Thanks....
Ok dude, Here is your thread where your questions were already answered
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=install

Now if you followed the link, you'd get here
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/17-oem-cl-type-s-rims-sale-145820/

Now if you look for DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install
takes you to
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139696
Go to step 6 for directions on console

All you have to do is search alittle man, this is all directed from a thread you started
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So does this void the factory warranty? From what I heard they will no longer cover electrical problems. Is this true?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Ok dude, Here is your thread where your questions were already answered
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=install

Now if you followed the link, you'd get here
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145820

Now if you look for DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install
takes you to
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139696
Go to step 6 for directions on console

All you have to do is search alittle man, this is all directed from a thread you started
Fair enough...I thought maybe you had some more/new insight to add to those, was all. I'm doing everything I can to build up the confidence to do this job myself.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Trucki!!

Fair enough...I thought maybe you had some more/new insight to add to those, was all. I'm doing everything I can to build up the confidence to do this job myself.

Thanks again.
yeah its something that even if you took your time it shouldn't take more than 2hrs to do. if you don't feel up to it you do have the option of paying a local shop to do it.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
"From what you've read..."? Can you confirm this, and if so, where? I'm planning the same switchover (when I get the updated firmware from USASpec to resolve the "skip" issue) and also wish to retain XM; just replacing the brain/box would save me quite a bit of the effort, obviously. I presumed I would have to replace the whole works (box, cables). If the MusicLink cable is pinned out the same, that would be fabulous.

Thanks for any add'l substantiation you might be able to provide...
Lembowski has answered many of your questions. Thanks Matt!

The Y-adapter is simply a cable that has one connector that goes plugs into the back of the head unit and splits out two ends (for two connections). You will plug the original XM harness to one end and the MusicLink/USA Spec to the other. If you didn't have the Y-adapter, you could only have ONE connection (for MusicLink/USA Spec and lose XM). If the Y-adapter cable is separate from the MusicLink brain, nothing is stopping you from removing the MusicLink brain and connecting the USA Spec brain to it. Right?

As Lembowski stated, you have to open up certain pieces to run wires and mount the brain. Moreover, the newer USA Spec PA11-HON2y has an included and attached Y-adapter, so you should remove the MusicLink's y-adapter for a clean install anyway.

You can double check my statements by reading the threads on the USA Spec and MusicLink. There are too many posts for me to find them for you, but a search is the key. You can also start by looking at the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ. I've included links to all the audio interfaces in there.

About the warranty issue. It's a hit or miss. If the dealer can prove that your installation caused a malfunction, then it could void your warranty. Other than that, you're in the clear. With the USA Spec, it's basically plug and play: you don't need to connect any power wires; just plug the unit to the back of the head unit. IMO, its pretty safe.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Lembowski has answered many of your questions. Thanks Matt!
My thanks again, also.

The Y-adapter is simply a cable that has one connector that goes plugs into the back of the head unit and splits out two ends (for two connections). You will plug the original XM harness to one end and the MusicLink/USA Spec to the other. If you didn't have the Y-adapter, you could only have ONE connection (for MusicLink/USA Spec and lose XM). If the Y-adapter cable is separate from the MusicLink brain, nothing is stopping you from removing the MusicLink brain and connecting the USA Spec brain to it. Right?
Agreed. My question re re-utilizing the existing MusicLink cable was: Do we know that the pin-outs on that cable are the same as that of the USASpec?

As Lembowski stated, you have to open up certain pieces to run wires and mount the brain. Moreover, the newer USA Spec PA11-HON2y has an included and attached Y-adapter, so you should remove the MusicLink's y-adapter for a clean install anyway.
I'm inclined to agree with you on this...which renders my other question about the cable pin-outs moot. Of course the advantage to re-utilizing the MusicLink cable would be one less cable to run/reach/unplug/plug. Decisions, decisions...

You can double check my statements by reading the threads on the USA Spec and MusicLink. There are too many posts for me to find them for you, but a search is the key. You can also start by looking at the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ. I've included links to all the audio interfaces in there.
Been there, done that, and I appreciate. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread/discussion, I thought maybe there would be some new intelligencia added, was all. I've opened up dashes on other cars I've owned and have done stereo replacement/upgrades in the past, but I'm a complete coward about it until I do it the first time on a car I don't already know. So I'm ALMOST ready to get over it on my TL. ALMOST.

About the warranty issue. It's a hit or miss. If the dealer can prove that your installation caused a malfunction, then it could void your warranty. Other than that, you're in the clear. With the USA Spec, it's basically plug and play: you don't need to connect any power wires; just plug the unit to the back of the head unit. IMO, its pretty safe.

Good luck!
Sigh, if you look at the other thread about the "skip" issue, we just got our first report that the replacement unit/firmware may not have the solution yet. So we'll see if it's even worth it to attempt this install, yet.