Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 3)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 3)

This thread, which has more than 60,000 views and 1100 posts, has been broken up into three separate threads. This one is just the most recent to spare you from days of reading. If you want to refer to the previous posts, the links are here:

Part 1

Part 2

And now, back to our program which is already in progress:

Originally Posted by curri
My XM 3 month subscription expires on 7/4. Is it too early to renew and try for the $77 deal? I seem to remember reading that I should wait unitl the very end of the initial free offer period.

Thanks.
First... call and make sure they are not going to auto renew you and charge your credit card. Have your radio code and call the customer service number. Tell them you want to let it expire because it's too expensive at full rates.

Then, they might offer you the $77 deal. If so, skip the rest of these steps and take it. If not, hang up after making sure it will not auto renew.

After it cancels, then call in with the script about having gotten a flyer. See the big yellow scan of the flyer posted previously HERE.

SCRIPT FOLLOWS:

Then call the 800-682-4114 number and read the script: "Hello. My subscription to XM Radio has expired but I just got a flyer with a special offer. I would like to take advantage of this offer for $77 for a year.

If they ask for the promotion code, say "zwinback". If they ask for the radio code, give that to them. They WILL ask for it because that's the only way they can turn it on. If you had, in fact, gotten a flyer, it would have your radio code printed on it so have it handy.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I followed the script and it worked like a charm! Thanks Acurazine!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, I called up and said exactly what xpditor said to say. The guy asked for my radio ID and that was it. It is all hooked up and now I just have to go out to my car and activate it with the instructions he gave me.

Thanks allot for you help!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still works...on the phone with them right now.... going to work refresh the radio right now.... woot woot
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 AM
5th Gear

Got mine today... no problem!! THANK YOU
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MBC1965
Got mine today... no problem!! THANK YOU

MBC1965: You're welcome.

And welcome to Acurazine.com and the 3G TL forum.

There's lots more goodies here if you look around for them. Be sure and check out the Garage sticky thread for tons of useful info.

Good to have you in the family.

Dave
Old 07-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

The first time I called, the guy asked me for the code then all I heard was dead silence (other than heavy breathing). Before I knew it, he hung up on me (and yes, I followed the script). I hadn't even given him my name or phone number yet.

So I called again and got a different guy. I followed the same script. This guy didnt even ask for the code. The call took 12 minutes to complete. Got it for $77, and no tax.

NICE!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:14 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor

MBC1965: You're welcome.

And welcome to Acurazine.com and the 3G TL forum.

There's lots more goodies here if you look around for them. Be sure and check out the Garage sticky thread for tons of useful info.

Good to have you in the family.

Dave
Thanks for the Welcome! I've been using forums more and more lately and I'm really glad to find that there is one for Acura. I look forward to sharing info with you all.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Got it first try today, $77 for the next 12 months - thanks to all of you for the other phone number and the script... XM really pissed me off last month, they automatically charged me $271 on June 3rd, several days BEFORE sending a renewal letter (dated June 9th) notifying me that my subscription was about to end and to "call" for new rates for extended period contracts - what BS - they charged me before sending the letter out! I originally had the three months free when I bought the car (March 2004), let the trail period lapse, then got a better deal a few months later on a two year contract, but not as good as this $77/yr deal!!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 PM
hads

Called today. Just said my subscription expired and I got an offer in the mail for $77. No need for any coupon code ... no hesitation on the part of the person on the phone. All they asked for was the radio code and I was off.

A couple of comments ... I had to wait on the phone for about 20 minutes before someone finally got to me and it took a while to get the service reactivated, but it was all worth it.

Thanks to everyone. It worked great.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

All done....sooooooo easy!

That was so easy, I almost feel guilty....NOT!

I tried yesterday, thinking our 3 months expired on 7/1, but it doesn't until 7/10. After being on hold for 30 minutes, I hung up, figuring I'd call back on the 10th.

Got a call from their machine today, telling me to press "0" and renew with no activation fee, and I did, and kept pressing the * key until the automated phone system transferred me to a live body.

Told her I wanted to renew, it wasn't expiring until7/10, no activation fee, and could I get this cool $77 a year renewal rate. No problem. Zipped through, talked about how fabulous my TL is (almost convinced her to go buy one!!!), and they aren't charging my Visa until after the 10th.

How cool is that?

Thanks a bunch for the help!!

Peggy
Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by honda_s2k
I just tried again today for the 4th time. No go!

They have it recorded in their database that I already took advantage of the $77 offer last year.

For those who have been able to take advantage of the $77 offer for a second time, consider yourself lucky... last years customer service rep did not record that information in your customer record.

For those who got it for the 2nd+ time, did you let your contract expire first or were you able to renew at $77 while still active?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got an even better advice for everyone that is currently on "zwinback":

So I just called 800-682-4114 (7:08pm PT) and got a lady in Arizona. I told her that first I want to make sure that the renewal does not automatically occur since I got a letter indicating that this would happen. She immediately took that off.

Next, I said the reason I wanted to take the automatic renewal off is because I will NOT pay a higher ("normal") rate. She said yes, of course, and said that I was still on "zwinback" due to expire on July 9. I said that I would ONLY renew if I got the same rate again ($77/yr). She said, "definitely," I'll sign you up for that right now.

And since my contract was not up yet, she said she would enter this in the system now, and I would get an invoice in the mail. I didn't do a credit card payment immediately for two reasons:

1. If they may charge me wrong, I want to see the paper work first (they do NOT have my credit card on file, and even if they did, they are not authorized to auto renew).
2. I wanted to make sure if anything did go wrong, I could let it expire and have more leverage later.

So, here's what I learned:

1. I'm a current zwinback user and even though my term is not expired yet, I was able to renew at $77/yr.
2. She indicated that she knew I was a current zwinback user, so despite that, she was very open to renewing me at $77/yr.
3. The CSR that helped me works the evening shift, so if you call at the same time that I did, you have a fairly high likelihood of getting her (I can't imagine many people working night shifts on a weekday). She was very nice.
4. The CSR even advised me to wait for the invoice to come in the next few days before paying, to make sure that everything went through the system correctly.

Rock on!!!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLTrance
I got an even better advice for everyone that is currently on "zwinback":

So I just called 800-682-4114 (7:08pm PT) and got a lady in Arizona. I told her that first I want to make sure that the renewal does not automatically occur since I got a letter indicating that this would happen. She immediately took that off.

Next, I said the reason I wanted to take the automatic renewal off is because I will NOT pay a higher ("normal") rate. She said yes, of course, and said that I was still on "zwinback" due to expire on July 9. I said that I would ONLY renew if I got the same rate again ($77/yr). She said, "definitely," I'll sign you up for that right now.

And since my contract was not up yet, she said she would enter this in the system now, and I would get an invoice in the mail. I didn't do a credit card payment immediately for two reasons:

1. If they may charge me wrong, I want to see the paper work first (they do NOT have my credit card on file, and even if they did, they are not authorized to auto renew).
2. I wanted to make sure if anything did go wrong, I could let it expire and have more leverage later.

So, here's what I learned:

1. I'm a current zwinback user and even though my term is not expired yet, I was able to renew at $77/yr.
2. She indicated that she knew I was a current zwinback user, so despite that, she was very open to renewing me at $77/yr.
3. The CSR that helped me works the evening shift, so if you call at the same time that I did, you have a fairly high likelihood of getting her (I can't imagine many people working night shifts on a weekday). She was very nice.
4. The CSR even advised me to wait for the invoice to come in the next few days before paying, to make sure that everything went through the system correctly.

Rock on!!!!!
TL Trance: Actually, you followed what has worked for others above -especially those who are on their 2nd $77 deal.

As to "nightshift CSRs"..... there are several call centers including some in India. You can't really predict which one you're going to get routed to. There's another in Salt Lake City.

As I've said many times before, if you follow the script that has proven to work in your situation, you have a 90% shot of getting it the first time. For the other 10%, just call back and you'll get another person, perhaps in a different call center who didn't burn the toast that morning and who will gladly help you.

And for those who persist on winging it with their own approach, go for it! Good luck and continue to let us know how it works for you. We like to share our experiences.

That said, I have little sympathy for those who make it up as they go along and then come here to complain they couldn't get it....... I can only assume that they didn't take the time to read the postings.

I know that we're getting up there again. Almost 400 postings in this thread and over 700 previous postings before I closed that one and started this one. It's time to do that again: Start a new one and unstick this one. The new one will have a link to this thread and the previous one for those who want the full history.

Doing the math, that's over 1,000 members who have saved a total of about $70,000 on their satellite radio subscription fees.

That's what I call a good "ROI". Acurazine.com is FREE! So, tell your friends about us. You don't have to own an Acura to be a member.

And, if you like this or any other thread and want to rate it, just go up there ^ on the top right and click on Rating>Rate This Thread.

Dave (XP Diddy)
Mega Moderator
Acurazine.com
Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
10th Gear

Thanks

Thanks Xpditor;

I got the 77.00 price, the call center in FLA. didn't even ask for the Zwinback code. No activation fee or anything. Appreciate it.

Jon
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

TLTrance and Xpditor:

Thanks for the update on getting the second year for $77. I pasted your instructions in my electronic calendar for NEXT year. I especially appreciate the info on cancelling the automatic renewal on my Visa.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the deal on the first try, she asked me if I got a letter for the deal, I said yes, told her the zwinback keyword.

She took some time, trying to find that deal in her database, but when she did, she asked for the CC# and I was all set. I asked if there was a tax or anything, she said no, $77 total, won't know until I look at the credit statement.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Just renewed mine for $77.00 for the next 12 mos. w/o any problems.
Mines will be up for renewal on 7/16. My renewal starts 7/17.

Thanks again for posting this info
Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Advanced

hm, i wonder why don't they just let the public know about this? it would probably make more people sign up for XM instead of Sirius.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Thumbs up

great thread
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Renewed on 7/05/06 and it worked like a charm. I didn't even have to give him the zwinback code. Thanks for the info! Otherwise, I would have paid $38.85 for 3 months!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
USED TL'S, READ HERE

just got a used '05 tl the other day private party and called up this morning...was keeping tabs on chicatl's post near the end of thread 2 because she also was trying to activate the trial/promo on a non-new tl.

i called up and asked about the trial 3 month period and the guy told me only the dealer can activate it. called up again and talked to a new guy at the az center and he told me the same thing, then i told him i saw the $77 promo at the dealer. checked w/his supervisor, cancelled the old owner's account and set up a new one for me with the $77 promo, no tax (i'm in CA)...another satisfied acurazine member.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't say it was the smoothest attempt on either part, but got it to work. I had already set up monthly service, so that threw a small wrench in the process. The CSR had to deactivate and reactivate my radio for the promotion to work. Then the CSR was having computer problems. After being put on hold a couple of times so he could speak with a supervisor (team leader, as he called it). Then he took my credit card info and talked me into buying a RoadyXT for $10 + 6 months of service @$42. No activation or shipping. I'll put it in my fiance's car.

Thanks for the great info in this thread.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone heard of this??

I bought my 06 TL back in March. I let the 3-month XM trial expire in May and was going to wait until I actually got the zwinback letter. Instead, I got something saying they would bring me back at a rate of $4.99 per month for the next 3 months. I don't recall if there was a 'coupon code' or anything.

If I could get it for $5 a month for an entire year, heck, that's better than the $77 deal.

Just wondering if anyone else was given the same offer...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Update to post above...

I found the e-mail regarding the $4.99 for 3 months... Again, anyone else see this??

Now that you've been driving without XM Satellite Radio, does your drive seem emptier? Does the commute feel longer? Do the alternatives like standard AM/FM radio seem a bit too predictable and cluttered with commercials? Clearly, you deserve better.

Right now you can reactivate your XM service with more than 170 channels and bring your drive back to life. And, you can do it for less. Sign up today for only $4.99 a month for three months — that's a 61% savings off our normal monthly rate. And we'll also waive the $14.99 reactivation fee.

And when you subscribe, you can also enjoy XM Radio Online over the Internet, at home and at work. That's more than 85 channels of XM entertainment — at no additional cost.

One phone call is all it takes. Just dial 1-800-643-6029 to speak with an XM Listener Care representative. No complicated steps. No hassles and no contract.

So sign up today to hear exclusives like an original music show featuring Bob Dylan, the Oprah & Friends channel (coming in September), and Major League Baseball® play-by-play for every team, wherever you are.

But act now — this 61% savings is only available for a short time!

—Your friends at XM Satellite Radio
Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can get it for a full year at $5 a month. I'll keep you posted...
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

Yes, buried back in the archives of this multi-part thread is the fact that the current $77 / year deal is the formerly $60 / year deal. They raised the price. So, go for the best deal you can get!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
That was just too easy.....Thank for the info Xpididdy...
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

I just re-upped for a second year on zwinback at $77/year. I'll confirm that it worked in a few days. The CS rep (a very nice woman in the U.S.) didn't think that it could be done, but she checked with her supervisor and it was a go.....she was amazed. It did take a few calls, but worth it in the end.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

My XM subscription had expired a couple months ago, and I was going to renew it, but hadn't gotten around to it. Well, I was going on a long car trip, so I called and got the 12 months for $77 deal, just by asking.

2 days later, I get a card from XM, offering...... 12 months for $77. No zwinback code on it, BTW.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Well, the true test as to whether this renewal for $77 worked is today. My online radio subscription is linked to my car subscription, and I'm listening to it right now. So, the renewal went through!

The CS lady said she would give me the extra days between my call and the expiration date, which was yesterday. So, the charge was supposed to be dated today.

Maybe they are offering this $77 deal again because so many people know about it?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
9th Gear

Got the $77 deal just now. The CSR asked me to read the flyer to her, but I finessed my way around that. She was just trying to confirm which deal I was referring to. Perhaps the 3-month deal has the same zwinback code?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
5th Gear

Talking I got the 4.99 deal card

My trial expired on June 15th, today I got the 4.99 no CODE by the way, only Offer Expires on 7/21/2006 and Savings CODE = MY RADIO ID

I decided to call using the script, american guy put me on hold for 2 min, no problem at all 77 for a year.

Gracias Acurazine.!~!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
7th Gear

Just called and extended my 3 month trial for a year at the $77 renewal price. FWIW...Keep the Zwinback code handy, as I was asked for it.

Thanks to everyone for providing this valuable tip.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Racer

I let my $60 plan expire probably about 8 months ago and really wasn't going to renew. But, recently started a new job with a longer comute so figure for $77 it was worth it.

I just called 800-682-4114 and sat on hold for almost 15 mins. Spoke to a rep who said I had to call 800-321-7117 for that promotion. he didn't have the number handy and put me on hold for a couple mins.

I called the new number and with in 5 mins had the call answered. She couldn't hear me too well for some reason but, was able to process the order at $77. I haven't gone out to the car as of yet to activate it though. I think she was also trying to sell me a XM roadie kit for $10 but, every time I asked her a question she couldn't hear me so I told her I wasn't interested. I breifly consider it for use at home but, get most of the channels via DirecTV. Wasn't sure what other catches there might have been since I couldn't really carry on a conversation with her.

Hopefully this time around they actually activate the radio. When I did the $60 deal it took me like 3 days of calls to get them to actually activate the radio.

Wasn't clear if I had to pay tax or not but, will see what they charge me in a couple days.

Thanks for the codes. Maybe the new number is required maybe not.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcondon
Hopefully this time around they actually activate the radio. When I did the $60 deal it took me like 3 days of calls to get them to actually activate the radio.
When I called them it was on the way home from work. When I was finally done with the call I was told to leave the radio on for 20 minutes. Unfortunately I was almost home so just parked and went inside. I used the website (I think it was www.xmradio.com/activate) and put in my radio ID just before I left for work the next day. It took about 10 minutes for the activation to take.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So today I got the bill in the mail and wasn't going to renew my membership, anyway I decided to give this a try "again" for the second time and appears that after almost 25 minutes on hold or being bounced from one customer serv rep to another I was able to lock another year for $77.
Now get this, I'm suppose to go out to my car put the dial on channel 1 for 15 minutes.... , then go to channel 7 until I hear what's on then go to channel 175 and done deal...I haven't done this yet being that I wasn't going to waste anymore time on this tonite, I'll try it on the way to work tomorrow ..and has anyone had to do this??..I don't remember doing this the 1st time??...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by midas69
When I called them it was on the way home from work. When I was finally done with the call I was told to leave the radio on for 20 minutes.

I was already home when I called them. I went out to the car put it on channel 1 with the car in start but, not actually started. Came out 20 mins later and just tuned up and down the dial it was activated and worked fine. I couldnt remeber what channels they said to check (wrote it down but, left the paper inside). Knew it was the 70s so tuned all of them. And 175 was a preset so I hit that one too.

Interesting when I tried to use the other keyfob to lock the doors it wouldn't let me. I had to use the key to lock it.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HEK
Now get this, I'm suppose to go out to my car put the dial on channel 1 for 15 minutes.... , then go to channel 7 until I hear what's on then go to channel 175 and done deal...I haven't done this yet being that I wasn't going to waste anymore time on this tonite, I'll try it on the way to work tomorrow ..and has anyone had to do this??..I don't remember doing this the 1st time??...

They told me different numbers (found my paper). 71 and 75. They are probably on different satellites and want to make sure both are working for you is my guess.

I think they now have 3 birds. They used to have one called Rock and one call Roll.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Yardie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I tried 800-682-4114. no deal. I was able to get this number from the manger, 800-998-7900. Renewed at $77 no problem mon! 2 different call centers.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So today on the way to work I turned the radio to channel 1 and listened like an idiot to the advertisements and promotions to all that XM has to offer for 20 minutes and nothing happened, then did the channel 7 which was playing music and then the channel 175...so does that mean that I'm hooked up now??... , from what I could tell I was still activated before I did this....and doing the steps have "re-activated" my radio??..anyone has an answer??...thanks

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 months (Part 3)