remove Bread Crumbs from the Navi MAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Computer Techie Geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb remove Bread Crumbs from the Navi MAP

have you noticed that rarely once in a while while NAVI takes it sweet time to wake UP and initiate its sattelite link, it keeps tracking you (offline) on the map, which can be usually accurate.

This might work very well if you are just parked in your garage at your home, so the moment you come out, the satellite link is established. In my case, I park my car in a covered garage, which is 9 stories high. I have to take long circles to come down to ground for my GPS to see the light of the day/sky.

So by the time I come down, the Navi has had no GPS link established with satellites, however it tries its best to put me on roads around the block of my building, guessing I would be driving there.

Now here is where NAVI does some wierd stuff rarely. It will assume my position on something with its guessing algorithm, and even after I come out it thinks it knows where I am (which is wrong like a block off). So I continue driving, and it makes it appear as if I am driving OFF ROAD, over buildings, like James BOND in a flying CAR, or swimming. It soon starts dropping BREAD CRUMBS on the map so I can trace my flight back. This continues for a while till it figures out OOPS.. and since that point ON it has me exactly located and bread crumbs stop.

The problem has been that near my house, and even near Holland Tunnel NYC (where I would obviously loos gps signal), it had dirtied the map with bread crumbs all over the place.

Over time the MAP just started looking wierd with white dots all over the place. And it always seems to remember them. (more than a month in my case)

SO here is what I did to clean them up.

1. go to Navi Setup screen, (i think screen 2)
2. Choose Turn OFF Track Off Road Routing.
3. Come back to the MAP to see all clutter gone.
4. just go back to setup screen again and turn Track Off road routing back again.

Just something i figured i'd share with the community. Any of you'se have similar drama.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every now and then i experience it, usually when i set a destination in my driveway before the gps knows where i am exactly. Best thing to do is just drive on the road you know you need to be on, and it will correct itself. I've only experienced it coming out of my driveway, no where else.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I do have the same bread crumbs... and use the same way to clean up...
Old 03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to do that this evening. I have the same issue with the parking garage at work. The first time I saw them crumbs, I didn't realize they were the bread crumbs as they're rather big. Now that I've had it happen enough, the map near my office looks like a white bird exploded on it and left feathers everywhere.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2007 with nav and I wind up with all these little white dots all over the screen. Rarely on roads - they are typically around parking lots and such. Not circles, but white dots.

Are those breadcrumbs?

I tried posting a picture, but setting the picture to public on Flickr and copying the 'grab the link' simply gives me a red X if I use the 'insert image' feature.

Thanks!

Mo
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Yes, those are the breadcrumbs.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^ Thanks, bud. Now I know how to get rid of them. Marring up my pretty little screen...