Remote start using FOB

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
06 TL tricks are for kids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start using FOB

ok has anyone have the DYI on using a remote start but still being able to unlocking your car with the FOB???

exactly how it is done??
Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 AM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1, I'd like to know too. I did some searching and it seemed that a member had figured it out but didn't want to pass this knowledge on to anyone for some reason...I became annoyed and stopped reading.

Anyone have any suggestions for remote starts that use the factory 07-08 switchblade key? I can live with the keyless entry not working while car is running...
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll need a piggy back system;

ie - factory alarm stays as is, but you tap into the door locks, and upon something like the 3rd or 4th lock pulse from the fob, it activates the components you added - remote start
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
06 TL tricks are for kids

yeah i currently have a viper 130XV remote start and it works good, but i'm trying to use the FOB.. so i dont have to have the extra remote.... IF anyone out there that has done this project help fellow TL owners out. PLZ :-)
Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would also like to know.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

Did a quick search and it is possible to use the factory key fob on a remote starter system but there are some drawbacks which may not be suitable for everyone. The main drawback is that most factory key fobs have a very short transmit range. Anyone every test the acura key fob for distance? If it's as short as most others, then I'm not sure what the point would be to remote start a vehicle when you are almost at the vehicle. Anyway, here is a sample product that is supposed to accomplish this task.

http://www.hornetcarsecurity.com/Pro...?ProductID=808

Remote Start Upgrade Module

"The Valet 561T Remote Start Upgrade Module can be added to any security or keyless entry system that has an auxiliary output. With features such as Parking Light Flash and Defroster Output, this is the ideal module for those who want to add the convenience of remote start to their current system."

I guess the question would be, does the acura keyless system have an auxilary output? I have read on other forums where this Valet561T unit was used on Honda's successfully using the factory key fob.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
For all of you who are auto, this is possible. For us 6MT drivers, it's not practical. However, for all auto drivers, if you do use the OEM key FOB to enable remote start, you'll have to actually insert your key to unlock the door, as the OEM key FOB will be be rendered inoperable while the vehicle ignition is on.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

would it harm our cars if we bypassed the ignition wire? put the remote start in between the ignition switch and the car.. i understand there are chips and stuff the car checks for when it turns over, will it be okay if this wire is bypassed?

as i understand, when the computer gets the signal ignition is on, it turns the keyfob receiver off.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I wonder if you can program the car to unlock the doors upon startup (in Park) for 5AT? Since you can program when your car is locked and not locked. Then when you use the remote start, it also unlocks the car. Hence not having to unlock the car manually with the key in the door.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

When I remote start my 06tl, the doors unlock and the factory alarm led no longer flashes. I didn't try to open the door to see if the car would still alarm, but I'm assuming if the alarm led is off, the alarm is also off which seems a little odd. Means the car is running, doors unlocked and no alarm? I know they can't drive it but still?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

Correction to my previous post. When I remote started the car, the doors relocked and the factory alarm shut off. The doors did not unlock as I previously stated.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
New shoes on my

So does anyone know if that Valet 561T is capable of running with our system? I have an '08 so I don't feel like having an additional key fob along with my giant key, and I also don't feel like going back to a normal key plus keyfob. I really don't mind about the short range of the remote (starting from my front door, 15 feet away) and unlocking with the key (doens't bother me). Thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Any system is compatible with the TL -- you'll just need a transponder bypass....

The trigger for "add-on" remote starters is the lock or unlock pulses at the lock motor or unlock motor, or the lock/unlock wire.

The Valet system will work. But once the car is running, the BECU is disabled (body electronic control unit) and it will not allow your OEM keyfob to open doors or trunk.

Good luck trying to find the ignition input to the BECU to add a bypass relay to defeat this during remote starts.

Some r/s units have a high pitch sound receiver that you can attack to the inside of the windshield and using a series of taps in a certain sequence, you can unlock/lock your car. DEI may have something similar.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Instructor

I remember reading this last year, The wire that sends a 12v signal back to the system which kills the remote door unlock is a yellow wire. If you cut (or disconnect) this wire, the remote unlock still works fine.
Thats all I remember, as the member that had this working wouldnt share much info.

I would love to have this work with factory FOB, even with short range. Someone please figure it out and post a DIY!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

If you have a repair manual -- look at the electrical diagram for the BECU and trace back a wire that reports 12 volts when the ignition is on -- split this wire, and use a relay that's triggered to open the circuit (i.e. "fake out" the Acura system to believe the car is off) when the remote start is engaged, ... you can use the GWR (-) wire from any remote starter brain.

ok.. i'll do it:

Page 22-156 of the service manual: Keyless Entry Receiver:

Remove the dashboard lower cover (at the driver's knees) and you'll expose the region under the driver's dash where this reciever sits;

There is a FIVE pin plug, but only pins 1,2,3, and 5 are used.

Pin 3 is YELLOW... it's the ignition input to the keyless receiver.

It carries 12 volts (+).

you'll need to SPLIT THIS WIRE, and wire it to an SPDT (single pole dual throw) automotive 30 or 40 amp relay as follows:

85: 12 volts (fused) +
86: Ground while running (-) aka (GWR) wire from r/s brain
87: open (i.e. do not attach anything to this
87a: attach the receiver side of split yellow wire
30: attach to other end of split yellow wire

Therefore, when r/s is engaged, the circuit to this yellow wire is OPEN .. i.e. it tells the Acura receiver that the car is still off as there is no 12 volts to input to the receiver.. therefore your doorlocks still work.

Then, when GWR is no longer giving a (-) signal.. the yellow wire is re-engaged and the door locks won't work with the keyfob.

Oh, and this should solve the problem of being unable to pop your trunk while the car is running, as well.

Cheers

Last edited by PeterUbers; 12-01-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

oh, and what's up with members on this forum "not sharing info"...??

that's ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

I was the one who requested info on getting the trunk to open with the remote starter key fob while the car was started with the remote start. I cut the yellow wire as directed but if the car was remote started, the trunk still would not unlock. I resolved this problem by using a relay to output directed to the trunk solenoid but the factory alarm would go off when I opened the trunk. I resolved this by reconnecting the yellow wire that I had cut. Now everything works fine. I never tried the door locks during my testing as I was only interested in getting the trunk to open.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
oh, and what's up with members on this forum "not sharing info"...??

that's ridiculous.
Yea, he got a lot of flack in that thread for holding back. Most people gave up at that time..

Anyway, thanks for the info. I wonder if this is the same on the 07's.. I might look at my manual later tonight.
Now someone make a DIY!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nalek
Yea, he got a lot of flack in that thread for holding back. Most people gave up at that time..

Anyway, thanks for the info. I wonder if this is the same on the 07's.. I might look at my manual later tonight.
Now someone make a DIY!
Just checked the 2007 manual, Wire is the same, pin 3, yellow.

DIY PLEASE!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Dealer installed the DEI 561T Valet for me. So far this is how I use my sequences:

Unlock - Lock - Lock = Remote Started w/ doors locked (can trigger alarm if you miss the Unlock)
Lock - Unlock - Lock = Remote Started w/ doors locked (safer to use, you can see lights indicating you have locked the car)
Unlock - Lock - Lock - Unlock = Remote Started w/ doors unlocked

The sequence must be exact. If you miss the unlock sequence initially, the alarm will go off.

Once the car is running, I can't unlock the doors using the FOB. I still want to try that yellow wire (Pin 3) everyone is talking about.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

LOL!

Sounds like a lot of work .. but if that's what you want, that's what you want. Enjoy your remote starter.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I have a somewhat simple (maybe stupid) question. I dont have any experience about remote starters. I do have confidence installing stuff on my car, but this is more just curiosity on how it works.

With the 07+ TL's that have the "One Touch Starter", the basically all you have to do is tell the starter to go, and it senses when the car is started and all that stuff, Is TACH sensing really needed for these cars? I would assume all you'd have to do is send 12 v down the starter line (with the key bypass), and the car should start just fine.

Am I completely wrong? Or is this just a feature that is just overlooked in the world of Remote Starts?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
06 WDP TL Owner

TACH sensing is required for the remote start module to 1) to let the unit know that the engine is running and to stop cranking, and 2) if you step on the gas without the key and the rpm go over a certain limit, it shuts the car off.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2009 TSX, I am assuming the situation is very similar in the TSX, I just have to find the proper wires to tap into.

Has anyone tried the relay on the yellow wire to see if the trunk and doors still work while the car is remotely started? I wanted to know before I go ahead and try this.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nalek
I have a somewhat simple (maybe stupid) question. I dont have any experience about remote starters. I do have confidence installing stuff on my car, but this is more just curiosity on how it works.

With the 07+ TL's that have the "One Touch Starter", the basically all you have to do is tell the starter to go, and it senses when the car is started and all that stuff, Is TACH sensing really needed for these cars? I would assume all you'd have to do is send 12 v down the starter line (with the key bypass), and the car should start just fine.

Am I completely wrong? Or is this just a feature that is just overlooked in the world of Remote Starts?
How do you think "Push button start" works... it uses tach sensing on some level to know when to stop cranking... same w/ remote start

Sadly.. and improperly installed remote starter unit will often overcrank.. to the point where you will hear this hideous overgrinding of the car's starter after the car has already been started... That's why voltage sensing is so much inferior to tach sensing.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Racer

is anyone going to do a write up on this? PeterUbers?? you seem to know what you talking about.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Racer

aslo can anyone suggest a good transponder bypass???
Old 12-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, PeterUbers. Thought if I added ya to my contact's list, I'd be able to PM ya. Guess this site doesn't have this option. Anyway, I've owned my '08 TL for less than 24 hrs and I'm looking to upgrade. Got a question about the Compustar setup you have. Are you using the keyfob that came with the system or can it be configured to the OEM keyfob?

Fred99x, I was looking into the Valet 561T Remote Start Upgrade Module. Do they have anything that combines the remote start with a car alarm system both utilizing the OEM keyfob?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ciscopath
Hey, PeterUbers. Thought if I added ya to my contact's list, I'd be able to PM ya. Guess this site doesn't have this option. Anyway, I've owned my '08 TL for less than 24 hrs and I'm looking to upgrade. Got a question about the Compustar setup you have. Are you using the keyfob that came with the system or can it be configured to the OEM keyfob?

Fred99x, I was looking into the Valet 561T Remote Start Upgrade Module. Do they have anything that combines the remote start with a car alarm system both utilizing the OEM keyfob?
Hey ciscopath;

Compustar provides a large 2-way (2wssr) and small (OEM style) 1-way (1wssr) keyfobs that i use. I use the two way to remote start so I have confirmation of remote start-age... and the one-way to unlock/lock... i don't use the Acura keyfob that much but it still dangles on my keychain for spring/early summer weather when i don't use the remote starter to warm up or cool down my ride. The Compustar CANNOT be configured with the OEM keyfob.

remember.. if you use the OEM keyfob, you need an ADD-ON remote starter brain and you give up distance/range.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

anyone know any good shop or member in socal that can install this?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im pretty sure you can take the fob apart and just have only the key with the chip, like the valet key, and then just get a new alarm/remote start so then you will only have 1 fob
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced

I have two questions to add to this thread.

1.) Would it be possible to install a push button start from a 2009 acura into a 2007 or 2008 TL? In otherwords, replace the entire key fob and ignition system to one of the new ones...

2.) Are people against the option of using an aftermarket keyfob and alarm altogether which means you still only carry the new keyfob with your existing key. This way you don't have two key fobs... Is the only reason this isn't being discussed because of the obvious cost difference? Just checking...
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V
Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajbiggie
I have two questions to add to this thread.

1.) Would it be possible to install a push button start from a 2009 acura into a 2007 or 2008 TL? In otherwords, replace the entire key fob and ignition system to one of the new ones...

2.) Are people against the option of using an aftermarket keyfob and alarm altogether which means you still only carry the new keyfob with your existing key. This way you don't have two key fobs... Is the only reason this isn't being discussed because of the obvious cost difference? Just checking...
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V
1. Would it be possible? Not easily, and you'd be the first to try it. I have experimented with RFID and push button start in my own 2004 TL, using a Nissan Altima push button starter button (thanks to a member of the12volt.com and all his efforts in designing this system), but the work was waaay more than what it was worth. So, simple answer, is no. If you want details, be prepared to be very frustrated, but i can provide you details.

2. I have NO IDEA why people are so afraid of having a big keyfob (the 2-way paging keyfob) and the mini-keyfob (from the remote starter manufacturer, like compustar's which I carry) .. and still insist on being able to use their Acura OEM keyfob ..

I say, ditch the Acura keyfob, and use the mini Viper or mini Compustar keyfob and carry the 2-way paging keyfob around with you in the winter when you want to make sure the car started. With the mini-aftermarket keyfob, you'll be able to unlock and lock doors in the TL (but not pop the trunk which it's remote started)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
1. Would it be possible? Not easily, and you'd be the first to try it. I have experimented with RFID and push button start in my own 2004 TL, using a Nissan Altima push button starter button (thanks to a member of the12volt.com and all his efforts in designing this system), but the work was waaay more than what it was worth. So, simple answer, is no. If you want details, be prepared to be very frustrated, but i can provide you details.

2. I have NO IDEA why people are so afraid of having a big keyfob (the 2-way paging keyfob) and the mini-keyfob (from the remote starter manufacturer, like compustar's which I carry) .. and still insist on being able to use their Acura OEM keyfob ..

I say, ditch the Acura keyfob, and use the mini Viper or mini Compustar keyfob and carry the 2-way paging keyfob around with you in the winter when you want to make sure the car started. With the mini-aftermarket keyfob, you'll be able to unlock and lock doors in the TL (but not pop the trunk which it's remote started)
Thanks for that feedback. One quick question. I recently after typing that post realized that the physical key is attached to our key fob which is why the complaints. Sorry about the brain lapse. Could I get like a Compustar or other manufacturer 2-way and just attach my seperate valet key to it and be good to go? Or are there RFID chips in the big keyfob with the key attached that I'll need. I figure with the 2-way I don't need my factory key fob, only the metal key, so I should be able to just use the valet key no??
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
New shoes on my

You should be able to use the valet key, but you won't be able to open your trunk, lock your glove box, etc.

I see that alot of people recently bought 07-08 switchblade keys for their 04-06 TL's, so it would lead me to beleive that the 04-06 key should work in 07-08 TL's as well. I might just get a normal 04-06 key, and program and cut that key, use the fob from whatever alarm\remote start system I get, and do away with the 07-08 switch blade.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mglax13
You should be able to use the valet key, but you won't be able to open your trunk, lock your glove box, etc.

I see that alot of people recently bought 07-08 switchblade keys for their 04-06 TL's, so it would lead me to beleive that the 04-06 key should work in 07-08 TL's as well. I might just get a normal 04-06 key, and program and cut that key, use the fob from whatever alarm\remote start system I get, and do away with the 07-08 switch blade.
Now you're talking! I love that idea! What does an 06 key cost? Do I just get them from the dealer or third party? Will having this 06 key let me do all the things above that you said the valet key would provide limitations to previously?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

Can someone point me in the right direction, i cant seem to find the receiver. Is it left or right front or back and what is it near? Thank You.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry for bringing up an old post. i recently installed an add on remote start to the factory fob using an avital 4003 and a dball2. everything works well except the obvious factory remote is non functional when remote started. i found the keyless module with the yellow wire, cut it and wired up the relay and still no good. i even tried using the remote with the wire just cut and no results. any advice would be much appreciated..
Old 02-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone ?
Old 02-17-2015, 01:20 PM
5th Gear

Remote start sounds cool, but one of the joys of my 08 TL type S is turning that ignition and immediately letting go of the key fob. Luv that feeling every time!

Quick Reply: Remote start using FOB