Remote Start "Problem"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start "Problem"

Sorry if this has been asked before, the search feature is not functioning. I just had a stand alone remote start unit installed in my 2005 TL (cant remember the brand). The problem is when the car is remote start, the radio turns on. I have had remote starters installed in the past on other Acuras and didn't have this problem. Is there something the installer did wrong? Or is there something that can be done to correct this. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when did u have it installed? find out the brand. who did the installation? its ideal to take it back to that person who u had installed it to fix that.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anything connected to the accessory wire in the ignition harness will turn on because the remote starter has an accessory cable to be connected for specific functions to work when it turns on.....some cars monitor the accessory cable and if it doesnt turn on while cranking the motor, something can go wrong.....i dont think thats the case with the TL...Im just giving you a heads up.......if u dont want it to turn on make sure its off before you shut the car down....otherwise when you bring it back to the installer it will cost u more money to single out accessories that u want on n off when the car is turning on.....UNLESS your remote starter unit has channels...then you can single out accessories with relays...but even then....more $$$$ more work

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 02-23-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
06 WDP TL Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The radio should not turn on with the remote start. I'm thinking the installer either accidentally or possibly on purpose connected one of the accessory wires.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

if the accessory wire off of the ignition harness turns on the radio....its supposed to turn on.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

the 2 acc wires are black/red acc1 and white/red acc2
Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
5th Gear

Brand

The brand of the remote start is Viper, I believe the 160XV. I would like for the AC/Heat to have power, but not the radio. Is there something the installer should know about acc1 and acc2? Is that the issue?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

off the top of my head I cant tell u which wire does what, but in a few hours when i get home ill tell u what wire is connected to what accessories.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

Tripnbeats is correct on the 2 acc wire colors. Most shops will hook up both acc wires when doing remote start. On most vehicles, it is neccesary to do this so that all ignition and acc circuits have power upon the start command. Viper recommends connecting both wires. You would need to find out if the radio is on one circuit and the ac/heat is on the other, but you also need make sure there is nothing else on that circuit that needs power before disconnecting it. The Chevy trucks had a problem blowing transmissions if you killed that 3rd acc circuit and did the remote start! Would be interesting to know though!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
5th Gear

Unhappy

In addition, I have to turn off the remote start in order to unlock my doors with the factory remote (wont work with the engine running). Is there any way for the factory remote to work while the remote start is active?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Safety Car

then whoever did it didnt tie into your wiring correctly.....that its supposed to unlock your doors as well as start your car when you press the unlock button
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 AM
4th Gear

2004 -2008 Acura Tl Wiring Diagram Printer Friendly
Version
Listed below is the vehicle specific wiring diagram for your car alarm, remote starter or keyless entry installation into your 2004 -2008 Acura Tl . This information outlines the wires location, color and polarity to help you identify the proper connection spots in the vehicle. Please be sure to test all of your wires with a digital multimeter before making any connections. More information on using a multimeter and testing wires please see our Technical Support Area.

PART COLOR LOCATION 12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS STARTER BLACK/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS STARTER 2 N/A IGNITION 1 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS IGNITION 2 N/A IGNITION 3 N/A ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLACK/RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 WHITE/RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS KEYSENSE N/A PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) RED/BLACK (-) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH, UNDER STEERING COLUMN COVER PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) RED/BLACK (+) @ LARGE WHITE PLUG ABOVE FUSEBOX POWER LOCK PINK/BLACK (Negative (-)) @ GREEN PLUG ON LEFT SIDE OF FUSEBOX See NOTE *1 POWER UNLOCK PINK/BLUE (Negative (-)) @ GREEN PLUG ON LEFT SIDE OF FUSEBOX See NOTE *1 DOOR TRIGGER GREEN/RED (-) Requires #R30-H Relay @ GREEN 5-PIN PLUG BEHIND FUSEBOX DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER TRUNK RELEASE YELLOW/GREEN (+) Requires #R30-H Relay IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, HARNESS to REAR of VEHICLE SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A HORN GREEN/YELLOW (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS TACH Any wire NOT BLACK/WHITE or BLACK @ ANY IGNITION COIL WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A BRAKE WHITE/BLACK (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL FACTORY ALARM DISARM BLACK/RED to WHITE (-) @ DRIVERS DOOR MODULE IN DRIVERS DOOR ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, REQUIRES 791 BYPASS MODULE AND EXTRA IGNITION KEY TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER EXTRA INFORMATION NOTE *1 THESE WIRES WILL TEST ONLY WHEN USING THE PASSENGER DOORLOCK SWITCH.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
then whoever did it didnt tie into your wiring correctly.....that its supposed to unlock your doors as well as start your car when you press the unlock button
I understand that, but does anyone know the correct way to wire the system so that the factory lock/unlock works while the engine is running with remote start?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

did u run a bypass module or no??? if you didnt depending on the pulse the remote starter gives out you either need 2 relays or just connect the wires directly. the 2 wires that u need to look for in the fuse box plug thats green is

Power Lock pink/black (-) green plug, left side of fuse box
Notes: These wires will meter when using the passenger door lock switch.
Power Unlock pink/blue (-) green plug, left side of fuse box
Notes: These wires will meter when using the passenger door lock switch.

so whats going to occur is when you probe the cables your going to have 12volt running to the line.....when the button is pressed the line becomes negative.... and your locks go up n down so if your remote starter module is negative pulsed you can just tap into the line without issues because its only a tiny 200mA pulse that sets it off... so thats of....BUT you also need the remote starter to disarm the stock alarm so it doesnt go nuts when it opens the car.

Factory Alarm Arm blue/white to white/red (-) driver door module in door
Factory Alarm Disarm black/red to white (-) driver door module in door

those wires are in the drivers door so the panel needs to come off and wires need to run out.....very thin ones.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I think that one of the issues is that the factory transponder stops working once it senses ignition (car started).
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

rodney what i did on my car was use 2 bypass modules for remote start and alarm... and i dont know if thats the case....i just tapped all the lines and went about my day...i didnt bother playing around with wires to figure certain things out.....if it is the case then the oem alarm should shut down alone with no probs once the car is on and you can overlook the alarm wires...but again im not 100% sure about that
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

but def goodlookin....now if theres a prob we can figure it out from another angle.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Your factory keyfob WILL NOT WORK when your car is started... whether it's remote started or started manually with your key.

Has NOTHING to do with incorrect wiring of your remote starter.

The BECU antennae is disabled when the car is running
Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thehustleman
Sorry if this has been asked before, the search feature is not functioning. I just had a stand alone remote start unit installed in my 2005 TL (cant remember the brand). The problem is when the car is remote start, the radio turns on. I have had remote starters installed in the past on other Acuras and didn't have this problem. Is there something the installer did wrong? Or is there something that can be done to correct this. Thanks in advance for your help.
um, so shut your radio off when you leave your car. Why is this a "problem??"

Next time your remote start, radio is off, no big deal.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM
5th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
um, so shut your radio off when you leave your car. Why is this a "problem??"

Next time your remote start, radio is off, no big deal.
The problem is because I have an aftermarket head unit with television/dvd display. It looks very 'inviting' with the car running and a movie playing on the screen. Like most people, I turn my radio off with the ignition switch. Does anyone really power down their head unit? Besides, in my other Acuras (2 Legends, RL) there was no power to the head unit until I turned the key, the heat/AC were active however.

Thanks for the clarity regarding to the oem remote not functioning when the car is running.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

hustle did they install the unit with a bypass module or did it the old school way???
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thehustleman
The problem is because I have an aftermarket head unit with television/dvd display. It looks very 'inviting' with the car running and a movie playing on the screen. Like most people, I turn my radio off with the ignition switch. Does anyone really power down their head unit? Besides, in my other Acuras (2 Legends, RL) there was no power to the head unit until I turned the key, the heat/AC were active however.

Thanks for the clarity regarding to the oem remote not functioning when the car is running.
Have your installer snip one of the accessory wires -- one controls the heater, one controls the radio -- problem solved.

Does anyone really power down their radio?? Yes, I do when I know i'm parking in the flipping cold weather and want to "prepare" my vehicle for optimal remote starting -- get used to it:

1) i turn the radio off
2) i set my blower to max speed and set the temp to high
3) i turn my heated seats to high
4) i turn on my rear mirror heater switch
5) I then turn off the car and get out and lock it.

get used to having a remote start .. sorry you have a thief-magnet radio, kinda makes yer car a little more vulnerable now that it's remote started as well, huh?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

the white/red is the radio one....from what i remember when i looked in the electrical schematic.