Remote Start / Alarm / OEM compatibility / LCD Screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote Start / Alarm / OEM compatibility / LCD Screen

hey guys....im just so shocked about how much ive learned from this forum....like i would have to say that its rediculous what i know compared to what i knew last year. when i first bought my TL...i bought it before i came to this site...i didn't even know what horsepower was. one thing im looking to improve my knowledge about is the remote start/keyfob area. i really want a a viper remote start/alarm with the LCD screen..the 500 dollar set. but i don't know where to begin, or whats worth what, what the 500 dollar set compares to the 200 and 300 dollar remote start set.

i did a lot of searching and found a few other companies that make remote starts like COMPUSTAR, OMEGA MAXX, VIPER, PRESTIGE...but im thinking about going with viper as they have the best name and the cool LCD screen. but i didn't find much on the forums for the 3G TL's....

i was wondering if any remote starts work with the DRIVER 1 and DRIVER 2 settings in the car, thats one thing i really don't want to lose....i saw a thread a while back that an acura dealership installed a remote start in the 3G TL where you press the lock button twice and hold it down and the car will remotely start.

please any input...recommendations....long info...short commments, anything would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
hey guys....im just so shocked about how much ive learned from this forum....like i would have to say that its rediculous what i know compared to what i knew last year. when i first bought my TL...i bought it before i came to this site...i didn't even know what horsepower was. one thing im looking to improve my knowledge about is the remote start/keyfob area. i really want a a viper remote start/alarm with the LCD screen..the 500 dollar set. but i don't know where to begin, or whats worth what, what the 500 dollar set compares to the 200 and 300 dollar remote start set.

i did a lot of searching and found a few other companies that make remote starts like COMPUSTAR, OMEGA MAXX, VIPER, PRESTIGE...but im thinking about going with viper as they have the best name and the cool LCD screen. but i didn't find much on the forums for the 3G TL's....

i was wondering if any remote starts work with the DRIVER 1 and DRIVER 2 settings in the car, thats one thing i really don't want to lose....i saw a thread a while back that an acura dealership installed a remote start in the 3G TL where you press the lock button twice and hold it down and the car will remotely start.

please any input...recommendations....long info...short commments, anything would be greatly appreciated
Here is a nice website for car alarms forum;
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...pics.asp?FID=3

I tried to search for this feature in their forums but did not find any info.

While it's true that Viper has a good name, their marketing practices leaves a bit to desire.

If you buy it from any source other than one of their authorized dealer you get no warranty.

If the installation is not done by one of their authorized distributor the warranty if voided.

For warranty validations like this, there are plenty of other car alarm manufacturer that are applying the same policies as Viper.

If you are thinking about having it installed, you can find an authorized distributor in your area and I'll add a big pile of wisdom based on experience here;

Who ever they direct you to, check their creditials and ask for references and do check their previous install before handing them the keys to you pride and joy.

A few year ago, I was directed from Directed Electronics (The Main Corporate Name of the brand holder for Viper and other ) to one of their authorized dealers to install a remote start/alarm combo on a brand new 2000 Honda Odyssey EX (the one with the electric sliding doors). Even if I could have done the job myself (I used to do it severall years ago) II selected to go that route to retain the warranty.

Their dealer assure me that they could program the remote to activate the sliding doors remotly like the Honda Keyfobs that came with the van.

The results, they detroyed one of my OE keyfobs, broke the steering column cover, the sliding doors would not work with the remote start/alarm keyfob. About 8 months later, I got stranded downtown Montreal @ 4:45 PM on a Thursday night with the alarm that refused totally to disarm with the keyfob. So I open the door , tried to disarm with the valet switch option to no avail. Call thedealer who tried to help me but still no results, and since they wired the starter defeat, the van would not start.

It was a good thing that I knew were the alarm brain was located under the dash. I grabbed the main harness plugged into the alarm brain and pulled it. Finally victory, I could start my van and no more sirens operating.

The dealer replaced the alarm brain that same night but told me that Viper would not even replace it or repair it for them, they would have to bite the bullet for the cost of the main module.

THe installation quality of that dealer was a real rat's nest that I had to repair when I trade my van later on.

With this experience, I got charged $1000 for the remote start/alarm combo and install and go a really bad install and all this after I got referred there by Directed Electronics.

Best regards and good luck with your quest.

frenchnew
Old 09-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to retain the DRIVER 1 and DRIVER 2 settings is to use maybe an AUX channel on the new fob to select driver 2. I wired up my Compustar to apply DRIVER 1 settings when I disarm the car, but I'm the only one who drives the car so it's ok. To get it to apply DRIVER 2 settings, you could wire up an AUX channel to select DRIVER 2 settings after you've unlocked the car. I don't know of any alarm keyfobs that emit a different signal or activate a different wire automatically based on which one you use.

I only have experience with Clifford and Compustar alarms. The Clifford I had on my Prelude was awesome! The only problems I had were with the smartwindows. Besides that, it worked flawlessly for 5 years. I installed the Compustar on my car and once I had it connected properly, it works almost flawlessly. Sometimes I press unlock and it doesn't unlock, I have to do it again. Besides that, it's all good. I think it might be because I've wired the unlock wire in two different ways. I'm going to play with it this weekend.

I would say that unless you're super comfortable taking apart the electronics of your car, get a dealer to install the system. If only to retain the warranty on the brain. When I had my car in pieces and wires hanging all over the place, I was freaking out a bit. :P
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
check this one out

http://www.wristdreams.com/archives/000639.html