Rear fill, stationary vs driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Rear fill, stationary vs driving.

I know no rear fill is the best for SQ while youre sitting there with the engine off and car parked. I've had my rear speakers disconnected for a long time and recently got bored and hooked them up. While driving, with the rears just loud enough to tell they're on, they seem to cover up a lot of the road and tire noise back there. I would almost say it sounds better with just a little sound back there with the car in motion.

Anyone have opinions on this, primarily the SQ oriented guys? It's definately louder this way.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Very good perception, my thoughts exactly....mm
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I know no rear fill is the best for SQ while youre sitting there with the engine off and car parked. I've had my rear speakers disconnected for a long time and recently got bored and hooked them up. While driving, with the rears just loud enough to tell they're on, they seem to cover up a lot of the road and tire noise back there. I would almost say it sounds better with just a little sound back there with the car in motion.

Anyone have opinions on this, primarily the SQ oriented guys? It's definately louder this way.
I agree totally, I understand why a lot of the SQ guys don't like rear fill (soundstage, imaging and all that), but it is a car and they are meant to be driven. With some rear fill, like you said barely loud enough to hear, to me it adds more depth when driving due to it drowning out road noise and crap like that from a moving car.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its a catch 22 because i totally agree that it will be louder and cover more inside the car with rear fill. I think that depending on your front stage set up and amplification u can get away with just components up front but in a real world driving situation and wanting volume id go with rear fill. Thats kinda where im at myself wondering if i want to do rear fill. My other car is a 4 door 92 h22a-t accord and my last car was a 2003.5 mazdaspeed protege' that i traded in for my TL and both are kinda small compared to the TL so just running a front stage was ok. Ive used the 3sixty.2 on a few customers cars and Ill be running a 3sixty.2 in my car and depending on if I run my component in active or not i might just mute the rears if i do a comp and turn it them back on for normal driving. I think if the front stage is tuned well and time alignment is set correct that a lil rear fill cant hurt for normal driving just for added volume.

Last edited by Eiswritsat; 08-10-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R you worried about road noise or getting good quality sound?

Internal resonances and road noises can be corrected with the right amount of damping material in the trunk, doors, rear shelf and under/around the rear seat area.

It really comes down to what you like and what is acceptable to your ears.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Well...the real catch 22 is as follows: your front sound stage should be comprised of QUALITY components with equally as capable power source to match. Should this notion be followed, your assertions, at present, would stand otherwise.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Six Sigma BB
Well...the real catch 22 is as follows: your front sound stage should be comprised of QUALITY components with equally as capable power source to match. Should this notion be followed, your assertions, at present, would stand otherwise.
I'm not lacking power as others can attest to. I don't want to have to listen to it at insane levels to drown out the rest of the noise. I'm very pleased with the sound quality too. To get any better than these would require a lot more money which I'm not willing to spend just yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Not where I should be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of letting the stock amp run the rear fill, while running the front doors through my Cleansweep to my aftermarket amp. I figure if it sounds like crap I can always remove the rears or replace the speakers with better units and power off the same aftermarket amp, but I'd rather us that power for the fronts only. I want to avoid getting a second amp.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ML²
I'm thinking of letting the stock amp run the rear fill, while running the front doors through my Cleansweep to my aftermarket amp. I figure if it sounds like crap I can always remove the rears or replace the speakers with better units and power off the same aftermarket amp, but I'd rather us that power for the fronts only. I want to avoid getting a second amp.
I did that for a while and it was fine like that. The sound quality definately goes up when you amp the stock speakers. I was going to replace the stock rear ones about a year ago but I amped them first and I'm totally satisfied with them. If you put the crossover point at 120hz, you won't believe how loud they will go.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm not lacking power as others can attest to. I don't want to have to listen to it at insane levels to drown out the rest of the noise. I'm very pleased with the sound quality too. To get any better than these would require a lot more money which I'm not willing to spend just yet.
Well, that being the case...enjoy the rear "fill". It's your call, my man.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you, I prefer the sound with the fill, I have mine set just loud enough that I can not isolate the speakers with my ears.