Rear camera installed... (lotsa pics) 3G Garage #I-154

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
wow looks great...... full cost??? time, looks long with removing the rear seats
$132 for the camera
$125 for dom's box in the groupbuy forum
$100 for pnp harness
$15 for shipping

$372 and it took me a whole day. (9am to 6:30pm, no lunch, no break.)

Since now I know what to do. It should take me less than half that time.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Question do you know if you Camera stay on all the time? (like Dom's Unit)
Or do it only turn only when you put the car in reverse
Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's
You could go either way. When it came time for me to decide I decided to only power the camera when in reverse. No point to power the camera on all the time.

I set it up so the camera's power lead taps into the other backup lamp.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyc
You could go either way. When it came time for me to decide I decided to only power the camera when in reverse. No point to power the camera on all the time.

I set it up so the camera's power lead taps into the other backup lamp.
Thank for the info Man
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge your interest for groupbuy

kenny_c, this is an awesome find. Seems like the individual you bought yours from on eBay is in short supply. I am trying to source these things so that we, too, can use one of these tiny cameras.

See here for a very similar, slightly smaller camera that I'm trying to work out a deal on:
click link
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
where does the DB9 cable go?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

DB9 goes into the TVandNAV2Go box. (video switcher box)

Courtsey of 05_Acura_TL...

Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's
If youre not using the second input from Dom's unit, you can buy a y-splitter for like $3 so you can have the camera "on", all the time on screen when you flick the switch.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Hi Everyone. Here is the last E-mail I got...

"We sincerely appreciate your interest in our product. $110 plus shipping is the best we can do at this time. As you can see from Kenny's installed. The quality of this camera is the best on the market. Minimum illumination is 1.0 LUX, which is why you can still see with only the reverse lights on. This is the same quality as what Eclipse is offering for their Double Din Navigation unit with the rearview camera option. Their retail price is $499. You are paying fraction of the cost. Please see attached file for detail specs.

We will have 30 units in 2 weeks. We will offer this special price to all Kenny's referal at any quantity. "

So it looks like $120 (including $10 shipping) is the best we are going to get on this camera. If you look up 4 posts ITL is trying to get a similar camera at a better price. Let's see what the best price he could get us is and then decide if we should buy from Wendy.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Instructor

I agree with others, this cam has been tested (and I like the black) so I would probably go with it over the silver one. At least they are throwing in shipping.

I think the longer nose on the black one might actually help it get a better view since we are shoving it so deep into the lip. I would like to see someone have the silver one ITL is trying to get hooked up. I am curious on the fact that the silver on has such a better viewpoint (150 degrees). The screenshots look good on the black one, wonder how much better they would look with the silver one.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced

It sounds like she is trying to jack up the price now since she is the only one has it on ebay.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by palmultiacura
I agree with others, this cam has been tested (and I like the black) so I would probably go with it over the silver one. At least they are throwing in shipping.

I think the longer nose on the black one might actually help it get a better view since we are shoving it so deep into the lip. I would like to see someone have the silver one ITL is trying to get hooked up. I am curious on the fact that the silver on has such a better viewpoint (150 degrees). The screenshots look good on the black one, wonder how much better they would look with the silver one.
my
-true the black would look better, but it won't even be visible so the silver is not really any loss. The bottom of the trim above the plate is silver anyway...
-The long nose is only 3mm longer than the silver camera. I don't believe 3mm will make a world of difference. Other than that, they're the same size so it should be well hidden.
-Though kenny's pic does show a good view on the monitor, I'm willing to try out the wider angle to get more perception and real estate.

Overall, I am very impressed with the quality and brightness of kenny's camera pics, especially at night- that's the dealmaker for me. I can't imagine a wider angle looking worse

Originally Posted by kin12345
It sounds like she is trying to jack up the price now since she is the only one has it on ebay.
Exactly. My "estimated" $115 equals the $80 I was quoted + $20 shipping guestimate from Taiwan + $15 guestimate to your door. Once I find out the minimum order quantity and price of shipping, I'll let you guys know. I can't imagine it being more than $115ish.

not to even mention this is a $600+ option on most cars, if it's even offered. I'll happily add it to the auto-switched input on my carpc. If anyone in the Atlanta area is interested, you could probably convince me to install one to your navi unit using the TVandNav2Go box, as I've got prior experience with it. I can't wait to get this thing in my car
Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Last time I checked, the eclipse camera is $239. And this is from a nationally known online/catalog dealer, NOT from ebay and is manufactured from a major brand name. Then again, $100 is a $100. I just dont want her to think it is $400 difference.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Pro

DB9 goes into the TVandNAV2Go box. (video switcher box)

Courtsey of 05_Acura_TL...

ok, where does the other end of the db9 cable go to?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
ok, where does the other end of the db9 cable go to?
that the video signal wires going to and from the navi unit
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
Exactly. My "estimated" $115 equals the $80 I was quoted + $20 shipping guestimate from Taiwan + $15 guestimate to your door. Once I find out the minimum order quantity and price of shipping, I'll let you guys know. I can't imagine it being more than $115ish.
Sounds good. I'm a little confused on the shipping from Taiwan. Are you thinking that it would be $20 per camera from Taiwan? If they are all shipped together it would be much much less than that. If you meant individually shipped, then why the $15 guestimate to our door? I'm just wondering, not trying to doubt you. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how many we need to meet the minimum.

Originally Posted by palmultiacura
Last time I checked, the eclipse camera is $239. And this is from a nationally known online/catalog dealer, NOT from ebay and is manufactured from a major brand name. Then again, $100 is a $100. I just dont want her to think it is $400 difference.
I agree with the Eclipse costing $239... I don't know where she got $499. Maybe she forgot who she is dealing with (acurazine members)!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rbf351
that the video signal wires going to and from the navi unit
ahh ok.....anyone know if dom's unit draws too much power to attach it to the power on the navi unit in the back?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kenny/all,
As others have discovered, I believe your camera is a Misumi from Taiwan. I downloaded the spec sheet for the three cameras that have the same shape/mounting as yours. All three have exact specs w exception to the angle of view. Each are offered in either mirror image and PAL/NTSC. The below part numbers are for Mirror image / NTSC.

Black MS AC24R-N / ONLY 70 degrees of view

Silver MS AC14R-N / 130 degrees of view

Silver MS AC44R-N / 150 degrees of view

I have requested pricing and shipping from Misumi for the Silver MS AC44R-N.

If you would, set up some cones/markers to verify that your camera actually is 150 degrees of view vs the 70 (black model vs silver). Should be pretty easy looking at the/your picture/monitor with markers set up on opposite sides of the bumper in excess of 120 degrees. With 150 degrees of view and your mounted location you should easily see both bumper corners etc.

Thanks again for all of your posts,pictures and install instruction. You've definitely set the bar for camera install/placement.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I could try that tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by pikabb
Sounds good. I'm a little confused on the shipping from Taiwan. Are you thinking that it would be $20 per camera from Taiwan? If they are all shipped together it would be much much less than that. If you meant individually shipped, then why the $15 guestimate to our door? I'm just wondering, not trying to doubt you. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how many we need to meet the minimum.
no doubt, I was just trying to pad it a little bit so some wouldn't be disappointed when I got the real numbers. I really have no clue about the Taiwan shipping...it IS on the other side of the globe, after all. Of course they would be cheaper if shipped together I have a feeling we're going to meet the minimum with no problem.

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Each are offered in either mirror image and PAL/NTSC.

I have requested pricing and shipping from Misumi for the Silver MS AC44R-N.

With 150 degrees of view and your mounted location you should easily see both bumper corners etc.
I don't think PAL is even used in the US.

Pricing has already been requested for the silver 44R by several here ($78-80). It would seem to me that the more quotes requested might artificially raise the price if they seem to believe demand is increasing for these things...just a thought

I, too, don't believe kenny's camera looks like 70 degrees. it seems quite a bit wider, but nowhere near 150. Can't wait to see what his results are, though I'd prefer a view a bit wider than what his has shown.

No reply as of yet.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

ok so I was bored...

well, since I just ate and no good tv on...

I try to be as scientific as I can with the pictures and measurement.

Since fisheye lenses tend to be at the widest angle at the middle of the picture. I lined up 2 known object at the middle of each side of my screen.

In addition, due to the fact that the camera is pointing downward and my measurement is purely 2 dimensional. I believe the angle in the picture would be just a little bigger than actually is.

I also try to take these pictures straight down. Well, most of them anyways.

Well, here they are...

Does anyone have a protractor? I don't think it's 130 but it's definitely more than 90.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
Pricing has already been requested for the silver 44R by several here ($78-80). It would seem to me that the more quotes requested might artificially raise the price if they seem to believe demand is increasing for these things...just a thought.
I totally agree with you. Everyone just needs to hang tight and wait and see what ITL can get for us. After I requested the quote from Wendy (for the eBay camera) other members E-mailed her telling her that they want the best prices and such, and now she will not go any lower than $120 shipped no matter how many we buy. It looks like we are going to do much better than that here. This camera (although silver) does look very good and thanks to Kenny we are finding out even more about how it compares. Lets just hope for the best and see what ITL hears.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Pro

someone needs to buy the other camera 44R and hook it up and show us the results!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pikabb
I totally agree with you. Everyone just needs to hang tight and wait and see what ITL can get for us. After I requested the quote from Wendy (for the eBay camera) other members E-mailed her telling her that they want the best prices and such, and now she will not go any lower than $120 shipped no matter how many we buy. It looks like we are going to do much better than that here. This camera (although silver) does look very good and thanks to Kenny we are finding out even more about how it compares. Lets just hope for the best and see what ITL hears.
I had requested quotes last Sat. on several of their cameras. Misumi was one of the first sites I looked at. They quoted me $78 for the 44R-N earlier this week as well. Thats why when I saw Kenny's photos I figured they were the same. I doubt a legitimate manufacturer would start telling people different prices due to several quote requests..... Poor business for anyone other than ebay....... What I have yet to receive from my last request is shipping costs etc.

Kenny,
what you need to do is lay out a pattern like you have with the center/"V"point falling just under the bumper/car below where the camera is installed. Then look at your nav screen and see how much of the angle is actually viewable throw the camera etc.. If your camera has a 130 degree horizontal view and you place your pattern at 130 degrees you should see the entire length etc of your pattern on the nav screen. Try that and take some screen shots for us. From what I could tell from your original "install" screen photos, it didn't really look like it exceeded 100 or so... Hopefully Wendy off of Ebay didn't sell you the black Misumi AC24 / 70 degree camera yet advertise it as the 130/150 degree view.....

Thanks again
Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I can't do it without a protractor. The tape measure / pole are at the edge of the screen. I was careful with my measurement.

I don't believe my camera is only 70 degress viewing angle. If any thing, the manufacturer will probably overrate the spec rather than under it. Another factor is that the screen might not display the full resolution and could possibly reduce the viewing angle.

If I have to chose between 70, 130, or 150 degrees. Chances are my camera is "rated" at 130 degrees.

With that said. I am looking forward to see what a 150 degree camera looks like on the screen.

I will do some more measurement tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:52 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

ok.. did some thinking regarding the angle of the camera relative to the field of view. I think I overlooked some factors when taking measurement tonight.

I will do it again tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
05 TL

Cant you paint the silver camera black?

I'm in whatever the color is... Better than then 170ish for the Pioneer.. Plus its a clean install. Great pics.

So when are you going to install a dvd player so I can see the pictures
Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I used a differnt method this time to measure the field of view

I measured the distance shown on the display from left to right.

leg a = 127"

Then I measured the distance between leftmost viewable point to the camera lense.

leg b = 84"

Then right most viewable point to the camera lense.

leg c = 78.75"

For people who took trig at school one can determine all three angles if one knows the length of all three legs.

For the rest of us who forgot there is the triangle calculator.

180 - 37 - 40 = 103

The "real" field of view for my camera is 103 degrees. Which is extremely close to my measurement from last night.

Well... that's all I got! :surrender
Old 03-09-2006, 11:02 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Don't quote me on this, but I recall that camera field of view is measured diagonally. I didn't do the math, but 103 degrees horizontal is about 130 degree diagonal.

Kenny, great work. The pictures from the previous page- are they actual camera captures?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

nope... they are from my digicam.

I used a different measuring method last night and came up with relatively close answers.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does that top trim above the license plate come standard with the TL's?? or is taht aftermarket stuff?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

The aluminum trim is standard...

man, every time I see how well that camera is hidden I get chills.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro

I measured the distance shown on the display from left to right.

leg a = 127"

Then I measured the distance between leftmost viewable point to the camera lense.

leg b = 84"

Then right most viewable point to the camera lense.

leg c = 78.75"

For people who took trig at school one can determine all three angles if one knows the length of all three legs.

For the rest of us who forgot there is the triangle calculator.

180 - 37 - 40 = 103

The "real" field of view for my camera is 103 degrees. Which is extremely close to my measurement from last night.

Well... that's all I got! :surrender
are you figuring it out from the top of the screen or the bottom? I'm pretty sure its supposed to be the bottom
Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

actually right at the middle of the screen. My theory is that wide angle lense have the widest field of view at the middle of the screen.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Pro

actually right at the middle of the screen. My theory is that wide angle lense have the widest field of view at the middle of the screen.
check the measurement at the bottom, i think thats what they are rated at
Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I can't measure at the bottom. All I see is my bumper.

I'm also done measuring and calculating. :surrender
Old 03-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Smile

I'm also done measuring and calculating. :surrender
We appreciate you being the guinea pig All we need to know is that it is a good cam that gets the job done. I am still a little jealous that you're done and I have yet to begin my project!

Has anyone spliced into the center console acc outlet? I was exploring inside my console and found that the bottom comes out... I really don't want to run a wire all the way to the fuse box if I don't need to.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Hey Kenny, awesome install man.

For those those going to do this, its possible to run the power wire to the fuse box without removing the rear seat. I suggest removing the trunk cosmetics that cover the speakers. Run the power wire up there to get it over to the driver's side. You would then have to pop off the plastic trim between the rear seatback and the door opening. Then just fish the wire through where the other bundle of wires goes through. Then you would have to run the power wire under the plastic trim on the driver's side all the way to the fuse box.

This might save some install time. I haven't removed the rear seat yet, but it looks to be a pain. I ran the remote wire for my amp the way I described, and it was fairly easy. If I do this camera mod, I would probably just tap into the remote wire on my amp for power.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Thanks for the compliment!

It probably will cut at least an hour off my time if I knew about that!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

so kenny you got DVD-to-Navi done too ?

also did you get the P-n-P harness from Dom too ?

Quick Reply: Rear camera installed... (lotsa pics) 3G Garage #I-154