RAZR V3m for Verizon—a few questions on customizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Question RAZR V3m for Verizon—a few questions on customizing

"Search" didn't help with these, so I apologize for starting yet another RAZR thread.

Verizon lets you get a new phone at a discount after two years, but you have to use the benefit within six months of eligibility or you lose it. So I went to the Verizon store across the street from my office yesterday and got a RAZR for free (after a $50 mail-in rebate). My father has had a RAZR for a while and likes it quite a bit, which was part of why I got that phone; it also fits nicely in the armrest.

I'm moving up from a v710 I purchased two weeks after the TL, and my questions relate to some things I did with that phone that I can't figure out how to do on the RAZR. If anyone can help me with these, I would be very grateful!

(1) On the v710 I was able to set up two shortcuts using a method that user "Iceneedle" posted on this forum some time back—I hit "OK" and then "1" to turn off Bluetooth and "OK" and then "2" to turn it back on. This is extremely useful for saving battery power when you leave the car and don't need the Bluetooth on—it's far faster than going through the menus (which is so far the only way to do this that I can find on the RAZR). Is there a way to create shortcuts using this phone?

(2) Is there a way to set the RAZR to a 24-hour clock without hacking the phone? All the info I can find using Google is incomprehensible stuff about "seem editing" and "MSU"; I can divine that this involves hacking the phone and I don't want to go to that much trouble. (I do NOT have a "Time and Date" option under any of the setup menus.)

(3) When I paired the phone to the TL this morning and tested it with my home phone, I found that on an incoming call I'd hear both the cell phone ringtone and the HFL ringer. Not a big deal, I suppose, but is there a way to get the RAZR to silence its ringer when connected to a Bluetooth device?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the razor for almost two years now, and I had the same issue as your #1. I have Cingular - so there may be some differences, but here goes...

I reprogramed one of the soft keys so that it displays the bluetooth option from the main screen. I hit that button, and it takes me to the btooth menu. I click on handsfree, and a message comes up that says "Bluetooth power is off, temporarily turn on?" I click yes. Then the HFL automatically connects.

It stays active for about 5 minutes after you disconnect from the car. So if you were to gas up, and turn the car back on, it will auto connect again. More than 5 minutes, , and you have to go through the three click process. But it does save on the battery though... Hope this helps.

I cannot do your #2 on my phone.

My phone does not ring when connected to the car. Try enabling AUTO handsfree in the car setup profile.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks. A three-click process works, as it was a two-click process on my old phone. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
RIP Dime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a V3m, and to answer your first question, if you push down on the navigational pad, then push select, and yes, it will turn the power on and the car will automatically pair with the phone. In addition, I have my default blue tooth power off. Therefore when I get out of the car and go inside, the phone disconnects and the bluetooth power is automatically turned off.

#2 I can't do, haven't really tried

#3 I always keep my phone on vibrate, so it never rings. I also have the lady inform me that "I have in incoming call" instead of the ring. The ring scares the crap out of me if I'm not expecting it.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Thanks. In playing with after reading urbaita1's reply I discovered the aspect about the down arrow. This is more or less as convenient as the macro I had on the old phone.

Guess I'll just get used to the 12-hour time. I practice law and have trained myself to use 24-hour because it's easier to keep track of one's hours worked on a matter and because it's unambiguous. Oh well.........

Thank you both.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
#3 If you can change your headset profile, then just turn the ringer off. That way, when the RAZR connects to HFL (and switches to the headset profile), the ringer will be off. This is doable on my Sony Ericsson, not sure about the V3m.

I am very tempted to lock this thread, but it seems like your questions are almost answered.

BTW, posts regarding electronics not relevant to the TL should be posted in the general Audio & Video forum.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by datmrman
BTW, posts regarding electronics not relevant to the TL should be posted in the general Audio & Video forum.
I figured that since I was configuring it for use with the HFL that questions 1 and 3 fit here and that others probably had had the same issue at some point. Sorry.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
No worries. Hopefully other members have found solutions to your problems.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM

#1 is definitely solved, #2 is unsolved but is really insignificant, and #3 I will try when I get to the car later. #3 is somewhat minor other than that it's weird to have the HFL ringing while the cell phone is in the center armrest bellowing out "Pick up your fucking phone!" (the ringtone I set for my brother—which DOES in fact work with the HFL, oddly enough).