QUESTIONS/Chat REGARDING 3G TL AUDIO/DESIGNS/INSTALLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Yeah I know, just trying to talk to you, Momo and Tomlinsonj all at once lol

I would think 10-12 would be plenty for that job. Might have a few left over in case you want to go a little heavy on the deadening or if you put it all back together and have a pesky rattle somewhere. Should be like $35 shipped
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
figured I'd chime in...
went with some cheap ebay stuff, it works, but when applying on vertical or upside down surfaces, when the sun beats them the stuff falls off. SUCKS, cause it's super sticky. I had it stored in the attic too, so when I did my fiancee's trunk lid EVERY piece fell off!

Go with the good stuff....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
figured I'd chime in...
went with some cheap ebay stuff, it works, but when applying on vertical or upside down surfaces, when the sun beats them the stuff falls off. SUCKS, cause it's super sticky. I had it stored in the attic too, so when I did my fiancee's trunk lid EVERY piece fell off!

Go with the good stuff....
I agree fully! I honestly always felt, "Pay for what u get." On the flip side of that, this goes for most cases then others. But we are not talking about the 1st 3-5 active ingredients in your TYLENOL vs GENERIC or some food/groceries. We are talking about our car who in most cases expresses our passion and character. And I that note, I rarely skip corners on my TL and I am not starting know when it comes to AUDIO.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Well, I started the other way, being frugal and foolish and wasting money having to buy the crappy stuff and then REbuy the good stuff. For some things, there's no big difference in generic, but for a lot , there's a reason it draws a premium cost.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had any problems with toxicity,smell or anything. It stopped the rattles for me and everything sounds good to me. I'll upgrade deadening in the future.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by UA6Momo
I haven't had any problems with toxicity,smell or anything. It stopped the rattles for me and everything sounds good to me. I'll upgrade deadening in the future.
Cool... Just be careful and be alert. Sounds like some homework was done before commenting.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I've got an IDmax 12 coming on Monday and I'm planning to do an IB install too. I've been messaging Trunk Monkey over at DIYMA about this, but I figured that I should post my questions in this thread so the info can be useful to other people.

I'm sure this will become apparent as soon as I start the install, but I was wondering which side you stick the baffle through. Do you go through the trunk or do you take the braces off and go through the passenger compartment?

Also, will the sub need to be recessed in the baffle so the surround doesn't hit the back seat or is there enough clearance? If it needs to be recessed do I need a third layer of MDF or can I recess it in the 1st (front) board and screw it into the 2nd (back) board?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by rich20730
I've got an IDmax 12 coming on Monday and I'm planning to do an IB install too. I've been messaging Trunk Monkey over at DIYMA about this, but I figured that I should post my questions in this thread so the info can be useful to other people.

I'm sure this will become apparent as soon as I start the install, but I was wondering which side you stick the baffle through. Do you go through the trunk or do you take the braces off and go through the passenger compartment?

Also, will the sub need to be recessed in the baffle so the surround doesn't hit the back seat or is there enough clearance? If it needs to be recessed do I need a third layer of MDF or can I recess it in the 1st (front) board and screw it into the 2nd (back) board?
With the Max, you probably want to double up on the 3/4" MDF. I did one hole for the sub to top mount and one larger hole that fit around the outer diameter with both pieces screwed and glued together. If it's a single 12" you can leave the braces in and attach the baffle to the braces, this is probably the preferred method, it's what I did with my 12W6. Doing it this way gives you 3/4" minimum clearance and it ends up being a lot more than that when installed. Put it in from the trunk.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

My IDMax is better than your IDmax! Hope this guy packs em well!

Oh and IHC.....that's guy said that he'll pay me Monday b/c he had it forwarded to his parents address, which are out of town until Monday. Daddy will put the check into his little account and then.....FINALLY! he'll pay up. Done dealing with that guy. If I didn't BS the packing then I would have never seen a refund. Fedex said it was good enough, but trust me...it was god awful. DO NOT do business with its_bacon12 on DIYMA
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
With the Max, you probably want to double up on the 3/4" MDF. I did one hole for the sub to top mount and one larger hole that fit around the outer diameter with both pieces screwed and glued together. If it's a single 12" you can leave the braces in and attach the baffle to the braces, this is probably the preferred method, it's what I did with my 12W6. Doing it this way gives you 3/4" minimum clearance and it ends up being a lot more than that when installed. Put it in from the trunk.
Cool. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
My IDMax is better than your IDmax! Hope this guy packs em well!
Ha! Well mine was more expensive so therefore it must be better.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Good question. I was going ti eventually ask the same when I start my install. Being that I have the IDQv312 What would be the preferred method regarding the baffle. Layer with a recessed panel or one hole and mount like Mono above pic shows?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM

there's easier...measurable
there's cheaper...measurable
then there's better...subjective!

You'd have to hear 2 systems side by side to see how you prefer it!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

there's easier...measurable
there's cheaper...measurable
then there's better...subjective!

You'd have to hear 2 systems side by side to see how you prefer it!
That has nothing to do with the question regarding recessed baffle panel or straight baffle mount. Some speaker may require a dept for suspension travel or sound performance while another may not. And that is why I asked in part of the other genglemans inquiry. Side by side sound test? Idk...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Yeah I know, just trying to talk to you, Momo and Tomlinsonj all at once lol

I would think 10-12 would be plenty for that job. Might have a few left over in case you want to go a little heavy on the deadening or if you put it all back together and have a pesky rattle somewhere. Should be like $35 shipped
any help on how I go about (amt.) ordering what I need for the trunk and deck lid? Like I said, I have the doors in control and want to start soon. But I am lost to what to order and how much...I know Jerry helped me at one point but that was by text and since deleted. Maybe I will hit him up later.

But the the stuff (sds) u recommended sounds good and I checked the out on their website.

Last edited by JayVee; 04-13-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Maybe I will give em a call later.

Here is their website for anyone else that may need it:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM

You asked what is better...allz I was saying is that when it comes to stuff like this you'll get a different opinion from everyone that responds to that question!

I'd stick with that SDS stuff...sounds good, or the second skin. I think Dynamat is just more well marketed and mainstream.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

You asked what is better...allz I was saying is that when it comes to stuff like this you'll get a different opinion from everyone that responds to that question!

I'd stick with that SDS stuff...sounds good, or the second skin. I think Dynamat is just more well marketed and mainstream.
+1 Ima check out the SDS.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

There should be an email on the SDS website. Don will get back to you pretty quickly. I would just send him an email saying you want however many CLD tiles & your address. He might ask you what for, etc so he knows you're ordering what you need and the right amount.

Did you get enough to do your door card? The plastic door panel I mean? If not, I'd add 6 more (3 per side is what I have on the door card).
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

There should be an email on the SDS website. Don will get back to you pretty quickly. I would just send him an email saying you want however many CLD tiles & your address. He might ask you what for, etc so he knows you're ordering what you need and the right amount.

Did you get enough to do your door card? The plastic door panel I mean? If not, I'd add 6 more (3 per side is what I have on the door card).
sorry Lost me on the "Door Cards" But I do have the CASCADE door kit and the additional Door Speaker kit recommended by Jerry. (pics a few pgs back) Same as he used on his AMAZING AUDIO Build thread.

But I am def going to send a message regarding purchase details for the remaining job.

Last edited by JayVee; 04-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Not sure if we're talking about the same guy but I HATE the owner of SDS. Nothing against the product or the business but the owner is garbage. Hopefully I'm thinking of the right person lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Racer

Here are some pictures of my IB install from this weekend. The IDmax is coming to today along with some black carpet to cover the baffle.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Looks good man!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Racer

Looks good man!
Thanks! Are you putting a false floor in yours? I've still gotta figure out what to do with my amps. Right now, they're just sitting on the floor taking up space:

Here's how it looks from the front:

I hit a few snags while putting it in. The hole I cut was too small so I had to sand it down with the dremel until it fit. Also, the surround was touching the back of the seat so I wedged a couple of my son's building blocks in between the seat and the baffle to give the speaker some clearance:

Trunk Monkey, the speaker arrived in good shape. He doubled boxed it and it looks and sounds great.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Sweet! Good to hear!! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow. Need to order a 4-channel today or tomorrow too. Need to call Audison and figure out wtf was wrong with my amp too! Ugh lol.

Looks good though! How do you like the sound so far? Obviously you haven't had much play time, but still. I know when I had mine going and it wasn't very loud, it blended beautifully. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up another IDmax and go IB...just for IHC lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! Are you putting a false floor in yours? I've still gotta figure out what to do with my amps. Right now, they're just sitting on the floor taking up space:
I'm going to do a false floor but I'm still trying to figure out how to go about it. Here's how I have my amp, processor and crossovers set up for now.

Attachment 115832
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Racer

Sweet! Good to hear!! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow. Need to order a 4-channel today or tomorrow too. Need to call Audison and figure out wtf was wrong with my amp too! Ugh lol.

Looks good though! How do you like the sound so far? Obviously you haven't had much play time, but still. I know when I had mine going and it wasn't very loud, it blended beautifully. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up another IDmax and go IB...just for IHC lol.
Thanks! The amount of output is incredible. Much more than I will ever need. Two would be ridiculous. You should definitely try IB. It was a fun little project and pretty cheap too. I used my Dremel for the mounting holes and a regular old hand saw for the rest. So far I've run just one auto-tune with the PXE and I think it will blend pretty good as soon as I turn the level down to a reasonable setting. I've been too busy blasting the bass so far

I'm going to do a false floor but I'm still trying to figure out how to go about it. Here's how I have my amp, processor and crossovers set up for now.
Cool. You'll have to post some pics when you're done. I think that's probably the route I'll eventually take.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Hey NIEBUR3/Jerry, is there any way u can post pics of the rear IB panel from the trunk area of your finished set up? I see these ^ set ups above and want to get more ideas to a clean IB panel from the trunk perspective or POV... or any one else with the set up for that matter also. Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Wow, this is coming together VERY nicely. I'm so tempted to do this...I remember that Matt once told me that my Audiobahn were VERY effecient and might be good in this setting.

J.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
^^Here you go! I have a false wall that has had a lot of wood cut out so it does not interfere with the airflow!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Wow, this is coming together VERY nicely. I'm so tempted to do this...I remember that Matt once told me that my Audiobahn were VERY effecient and might be good in this setting.

J.
HELLZ YEAH! DooooooEeeeeet!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Jerry, you're not allowed to help out...your builds are untouchable by us mortals and do nothing to help us.

Jay...my sealed enclosure that I modified is pretty small for 2 12's and sits back about as far as the rear of my subs would if I had the IB...We'll see...maybe one day.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by niebur3
^^Here you go! I have a false wall that has had a lot of wood cut out so it does not interfere with the airflow!

That's what I am talking about! Super CLEAN! How is it u place the beauty panel securely? Is id screwed down on the side or top/bottom?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is what is cut out on the back side. Is it press fir with those little boxes I made next to the sub. No screws at all !

Here is another one I did. Since the panel is press fit in around the magnet, I took large chunks out of the beauty panel. The panel can be made with either 1/2" or 14" mdf.

Pic with the seat down.

Last edited by niebur3; 04-17-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Team Owner

We're going to have to start an infinite baffle club on azine. We went from one (Neel) to quite a few in just a couple years. Glad to see more people doing this. I was waiting on some friends to arrive in an empty parking lot today outside of the car and had the music cranked. I then opened the trunk and it got much louder, much more so than a box. It's actually pretty cool if you were somewhere where you wanted music outdoors.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Here is another one I did. Since the panel is press fit in around the magnet, I took large chunks out of the beauty panel. The panel can be made with either 1/2" or 14" mdf.

Hey Jerry, I noticed on this pic the amps are upside down. Is that OK? Seems some ppl have commented toward others who have done the same about the amps holding heat and not able to stay as cool when mounted right side up. Is this true? I also considered mounting my amp & MATRIX upside down but the whole idea with a beauty panel is opening new possibilities

Last edited by JayVee; 04-18-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JayVee
Hey Jerry, I noticed on this pic the amps are upside down. Is that OK? Seems some ppl have commented toward others who have done the same about the amps holding heat and not able to stay as cool when mounted right side up. Is this true? I also considered mounting my amp & MATRIX upside down but the whole idea with a beauty panel is opening new possibilities
Good eye! These are ARC Audio KS Series Amps. The heat sink is in the bottom of the amp, so it can be mounted either way. You will have the trunk springs in the way and your heat sinks are probably on top, so it would be a bad idea. (This was a Chevy Malibu and had struts to lift the trunk mounted in the frame on the outside of the trunk opening.)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Good eye! These are ARC Audio KS Series Amps. The heat sink is in the bottom of the amp, so it can be mounted either way. You will have the trunk springs in the way and your heat sinks are probably on top, so it would be a bad idea. (This was a Chevy Malibu and had struts to lift the trunk mounted in the frame on the outside of the trunk opening.)
I figured...But wanted "EXPERT" advise
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Just thought I'd share a little more from that malibu build....

Here are the kicks, before!

After:

And with tweeters mounted!

And with grill in the car:

Just for some more ideas!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I hate you I said IDEAS... Not FLAUNT YOUR SKILLZ AND THROW SHIT IN OUR FACE WHILE AT IT...lol

...flawless as always. Thanks for sharing ...not really ...lol