Problem with Handsfree Link

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Handsfree Link

Concerning the HFL, wouldn’t you still get the voice prompts whether a Bluetooth phone is in the car or not when you press the buttons on the steering wheel? If I remember correctly I was able to get the voice prompts with no Bluetooth phone in the vehicle. However lately the “Handsfree link” menu keeps showing booting up and does not allow you to access the menus or get the voice prompts.

Took it into service @ Valley Stream Acura and the service consultant thinks that a Bluetooth phone must be in the car in order for you to get the voice prompts. What do you guys think?

I did a search on the site and found out that people have encountered this problem with the screen reading "Booting Up" but could not find any answer whether it works with no BT phone in car or not.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never tried it without a phone. What are you trying to do without a phone?

The only problem I've ever had with the HFL is that sometimes my phone doesn't want to disconnect from the car after it's off which is weird. But that's only happened a couple of times.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Advanced

I just want to determine if there's a problem with the Handsfree link because of the message. I'm getting a bluetooth phone and want to address this situation beforehand.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Racer

The Handfree module is bad, they will need to replace it. I had the same problem in April. System would just display "booting up" no matter what.

Some had luck disconnecting the battery and letting evertthing reset but the Dealer I went to said it might come back.

The system does talk with no phone connected, how else do you link the phone the first time.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Advanced

handsfree

Thanks. That's what I thought but some of these service consultants are not too knowledgeable about this.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Racer

I have not phone attached and can talk to mine. Get it replaced.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Racer

Well, from a logical standpoint, you would HAVE to be able to talk to the system with no bluetooth phone in the car. How else would you ever get the damn thing paired up with your phone? As far as the system is concerned (up to the point where you have the phone successfully paired), there is no bluetooth phone in your car. Yeah, beating this point into the ground, but get it replaced The service consultant is full of sh*t.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is nothing wrong with ur hands free
before I got my phone it would just sit on the booting up message
now that i have a phone paired with the car u get the menu.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acur8ly
There is nothing wrong with ur hands free
before I got my phone it would just sit on the booting up message
now that i have a phone paired with the car u get the menu.

But that's the point how do you get the menu if it just stays on "Booting up"?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Advanced

I just got a call from the service consultant from Acura of Valley Stream and of course he gives me some bull about there being a newsletter out from Acura and according to them a Bluetooth phone must be present for them to test it. I tried explaining to him that I don't even get the voice prompts which I was able to do whether the phone was present or not but he maintains that according to this newsletter there have been problems with this feature and the phone needs to be present. A bunch of bull in my opinion. No wonder I didn't buy my car from Acura of VS.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are u using the phone button or the Mid control buttons. Using the phone button it will let you in but mid buttons just send you to the booting up screen
Old 08-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acur8ly
Are u using the phone button or the Mid control buttons. Using the phone button it will let you in but mid buttons just send you to the booting up screen

I use the phone button (on the steering wheel) and there is no response - there should be a voice prompt.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, there should be the voice prompts if u use the phone button. I tried it out on my way from home this evening.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced

I just picked up the car from the service department and what a waste of time he maintains that I have to have the bluetooth phone present for them to fix it. I'm just gonna take it to another Acura dealer.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Racer

Tell them to go fly a kite. That's like them saying you shouldn't complain about a missing spare tire until you get a flat tire.

Just inform them you don't have a phone but was trying to link up a friend's and it would not respond. or find a new service department
Old 08-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by criss
Tell them to go fly a kite. That's like them saying you shouldn't complain about a missing spare tire until you get a flat tire.

Just inform them you don't have a phone but was trying to link up a friend's and it would not respond. or find a new service department

That's what I intend to do. By the time I picked up the car the service department was closed and I had to get my car from the sales department. Now think about it for a second wouldn't it make sense for them to have a bluetooth phone/device on the premises to troubleshoot a feature that uses that technology?

My guess is the guy looked up some bulletin that documents that this problem has crept up in other TLs so he just wrote that on the notes. How easy is it for the guy to walk to a demo TL in the dealership and press the HFL phone button and see that he gets a voice prompt?

I intend to call the service manager tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind.