Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Anyone know if we can fit a single 15" in our trunk?? With a box that is. My current box is 14" tall, but most 15" boxes are right around 16". It looks like it'll fit...but I dunno. Might just got with a single 15 or 12 sealed as I don't need $600 worth of sub for SQ lol
If you ever do those 12W6s IB you're going to be pissed you didn't do it sooner. As much as I love the IB15s, I would still do 2 or 3 12W6s if the opportunity was there.

I'm sure the 15s would work in a box with a slight angle.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
I'm still amazed over your setup IHC.
Thanks. I wish the GF felt the same way. I still need to post the finished pictures. The last ones look like a hack job.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts

It's funny how they understand our reasoning for these things but still shake their heads at us for doing them. At least she still lets you tinker..
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

It's funny how they understand our reasoning for these things but still shake their heads at us for doing them. At least she still lets you tinker..
Only because I have every other Friday off and 5 days off every 6 weeks. If I attempt to work on the car when she's home on the weekend it becomes a her vs the car contest in which case I'm always the loser. It's so bad that I sneak out to the car to do some tuning on the stereo while she's in the shower. I managed to hide the $1,600 midranges from her for 2 months and when she finally saw them I convinced her they were $70 which still didn't go over well. I got the ok to do the IB setup on the basis we could carry more stuff in the trunk especially for our future kids lol.

To top it all off I'm considering selling the entire audio system as a package, probably for half of what I paid for it because I want to go racing again and I know better than to even bring up spending money on the GN without getting rid of everything I have right now. She's pushing for a ring and kids and if I don't get the GN to where I want it before that happens, I might be waiting another 18 years before spending that kind of money on a car again. The only thing I have going in my favor is my parents' house is nearby so I have a place to send packages.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Only because I have every other Friday off and 5 days off every 6 weeks. If I attempt to work on the car when she's home on the weekend it becomes a her vs the car contest in which case I'm always the loser. It's so bad that I sneak out to the car to do some tuning on the stereo while she's in the shower. I managed to hide the $1,600 midranges from her for 2 months and when she finally saw them I convinced her they were $70 which still didn't go over well. I got the ok to do the IB setup on the basis we could carry more stuff in the trunk especially for our future kids lol.

To top it all off I'm considering selling the entire audio system as a package, probably for half of what I paid for it because I want to go racing again and I know better than to even bring up spending money on the GN without getting rid of everything I have right now. She's pushing for a ring and kids and if I don't get the GN to where I want it before that happens, I might be waiting another 18 years before spending that kind of money on a car again. The only thing I have going in my favor is my parents' house is nearby so I have a place to send packages.
Or perhaps spend a night or too! Ha
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Got The Midas Touch

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
She's pushing for a ring and kids and if I don't get the GN to where I want it before that happens, I might be waiting another 18 years before spending that kind of money on a car again. The only thing I have going in my favor is my parents' house is nearby so I have a place to send packages.
Yep kids drain the wallet quickly, part of the reason I have Maximo's instead of Supremo's for my front stage lol. Have the kids and ditch the ring, it will allow you to have the products shipped straight to your door (although it might take more time to save the funds).
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM

I managed to hide the $1,600 midranges from her for 2 months and when she finally saw them I convinced her they were $70 which still didn't go over well.

I found a great deal on a home audio sub.. paid $100.. I still got the business.

..I know better than to even bring up spending money on the GN without getting rid of everything I have right now. She's pushing for a ring and kids and if I don't get the GN to where I want it before that happens, I might be waiting another 18 years before spending that kind of money on a car again. The only thing I have going in my favor is my parents' house is nearby so I have a place to send packages.

I'm a little too familiar with this process. I still get complaints for misc car parts I have in the garage and a nordictrack I haven't sold / gotten rid of yet (bought it from a friend when he lost his job, paid too much ). Whenever I ask to get something.. it's "sure, when you sell the nordictrack"

I'm glad I don't have a project car. I might trade in the MDX for something less practical.. but as most men.. I'm not the financial planner and unfortunately a GT-R doesn't fit the financial plan. I'd settle for a boosted Volvo and $200 in my pocket at this point.

Once kids come into the picture.. it's not just the money, but also your time that goes down the drain. It's a good trade-off though and I know you won't regret it. I would suggest to finish the GN and travel wherever your better half wants to go before kids though. Because after.. it's a done deal.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
These last few posts are WAY to familiar haha. My girl doesn't mind that I buy these things, but this is without kids and I'm still in school. I'm sure things will change with kids, payments, a ring, etc. That's why I'm trying to get away with putting something cheap and simple that will sound good into this car. That way I won't need to change it later on when kids come into the picture.

I REALLY want to do IB with these w6's, but if I can get a bit of money for them then I might just sell them. Maybe just run a single high powered 12 sealed and call it a day. I'm not even utilizing the power for the 12w6's. The gain is ALL the way down on my PDX and I'm at -8db on the 360.2 for the sub. I just don't like overly loud bass anymore as it's kiddish and just drowns out the other 99% of the frequency.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Got The Midas Touch

Once kids come into the picture.. it's not just the money, but also your time that goes down the drain. It's a good trade-off though and I know you won't regret it. I would suggest to finish the GN and travel wherever your better half wants to go before kids though. Because after.. it's a done deal.
Oh yes time to do things is almost nonexistent. It took me 5 months to gather all the equipment and finally finish installing everything. It sucked having only the sub hooked up to the amp then hooking up my tweeters and having no midrang/midbass in the front for two weeks until I finally had the time to cut my doors up to install the woofers. I STILL am not done deadening the doors but no time to take the car apart.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

^ How do you feel about a single 12" in the TL? Does it fill out pretty well?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

NO! The only thing that will work is a pair of 12W6s in IB.... kidding.

If you decide to sell them, let me know, I might be interested in a pair.

I have 4 SBP15s on the way. You're welcome to one or two of those. I got a little carried away and impulse bought.....twice.
The following users liked this post:
MOS805 (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Got The Midas Touch

It's not bad I feel like its enough for me, it definitely can't hang when compared to some friends but my goal was having good clean sound as opposed to blowing the doors off. Currently the front end starts drowing out the sub as I turn the volume up but that is more of a problem of not enough power to the sub currently, when I get a new amp it should fix this problem but at lower volumes it blends with the front stage very well.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Got The Midas Touch

NO! The only thing that will work is a pair of 12W6s in IB.... kidding.

If you decide to sell them, let me know, I might be interested in a pair.

I have 4 SBP15s on the way. You're welcome to one or two of those. I got a little carried away and impulse bought.....twice.
On that I do wish I could find at least one more IDQ12 for a good price (got mine for $60) but that is so I can feel more comfortable in considering doing an IB setup I don't want to do 1 12" IB and not be satisfied with the output and kick myself for doing it.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MOS805
On that I do wish I could find at least one more IDQ12 for a good price (got mine for $60) but that is so I can feel more comfortable in considering doing an IB setup I don't want to do 1 12" IB and not be satisfied with the output and kick myself for doing it.
Output will be about the same as sealed as long as you use a subsonic filter at 20-30hz. Without the filter, the extra efficiency of the IB setup will make it really easy to hit the mechanical limits on the low notes. If you have plans to go IB in the future, as long as you have 100w available to each sub you shouldn't have to worry about upgrading the amp.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

If you ever do those 12W6s IB you're going to be pissed you didn't do it sooner. As much as I love the IB15s, I would still do 2 or 3 12W6s if the opportunity was there.

Well shoot me a PM if you think you want them. I don't know how I feel about shipping subs (never had to), but I might have to with this market. Looks like I'll have my PDX and Sundown up for sale too
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

I'll PM you in the morning, I can't click on the button from my phone. In this economy, I couldn't sell mine for $300 for the pair both on here and on DIYMA. Maybe you will have better luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah, I figured that might happen.i don't "need" to sell them so they might be going IB soon enough. Maybe I'll just suck if up and keep it. Some damn good subs! I had an idea of going IB & mounting the amps and processors upside down on some MDF/whatever that would be bolted to the rear deck. I've been trying to find pictures of something like this but I'm not having luck. Could look pretty stealth & it'll plug up that rear deck even more
Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got tired of having to remove my large box when Vacation time came around each year for luggage space. This weekend I decided to get a Kicker Comp sub an make this box. 8" kicker was on sale for $40 so I still get a little bit of thump on Vacation. Some MDF, foam padding, black "leather", 4 hours and bingo. The grill is for protection from luggage --used spray on touch up paint and a TON of clear coat to match the grill to car color.

Attached Thumbnails Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-vacation-sub-setup-small-pic.jpg   Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-top-view-port.jpg   Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-uncovered-before-installed-trunk.jpg  

Last edited by youngbrian; 07-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
nothing too fancy but i like the way it turned out.

picked up some MDF, traced out template for trunk beauty panel, cut the MDF to size, wrapped in matching charcoal carpet, used 3m adhesive spray to hold it down. wrapped another piece of MDF for an amp rack which is in the spare tire area. wraped another piece of MDF as a trunk tray to hold up the beauty panel and sub/box. screwed in 4 pieces of wood to hold the sub box in place behind the beauty panel. used second skin damplifier on the rear deck, entire trunk, and front door panels.

system includes the following...

-massive ck6 front components/tweeters
-JL 12w6 in sealed box (larger than factory size)
-JL 500/1 for sub
-JL 300/2 for components
-LOC
-line driver
-various wiring

Name:  image-96.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  image-97.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  image-98.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  image-99.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  image-101.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  image-102.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  image-103.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  image-104.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  image-105.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  image-106.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  photo-1877.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  photo-84.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  photo-83.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  127.8 KB
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Looks good Aaron! Your next 2 things...

1. Take out the ski-pass plastic. Seriously takes 3 minutes. Remove the top part of the back seat and it's 2 screws. Done.

2. Build a box that's long, but not as deep and gain back 10" or so in your trunk! The 12w6 loves 1.5cuft just like my IDmax......and I've got the box dimensions for 1.5cuft AFTER sub displacement. Takes up hardly any room at all. Basically like IB (maybe an inch deeper or so), but enclosed. Lemme know if you want to give it a whirl. Seems like you can get the MDF and cut it. Sealed box is more simple than a lot of the stuff you've done so far so I'd definitely think about it
Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

SB.. why no IB setup?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
BANNED

Looks good Aaron! Your next 2 things...

1. Take out the ski-pass plastic. Seriously takes 3 minutes. Remove the top part of the back seat and it's 2 screws. Done.

2. Build a box that's long, but not as deep and gain back 10" or so in your trunk! The 12w6 loves 1.5cuft just like my IDmax......and I've got the box dimensions for 1.5cuft AFTER sub displacement. Takes up hardly any room at all. Basically like IB (maybe an inch deeper or so), but enclosed. Lemme know if you want to give it a whirl. Seems like you can get the MDF and cut it. Sealed box is more simple than a lot of the stuff you've done so far so I'd definitely think about it
1.) ski pass is removed! these are pics from many months ago.

2.) will the different sized box make the sub sound different? or just save me space? plus then the beauty panel i made will be obsolete because i'll have to make one that pushes farther forward in the trunk.

but...i'm interested whatcha got?

SB.. why no IB setup?
sorry man...i started doing this before i knew anything about IB.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
1.) ski pass is removed! these are pics from many months ago.

2.) will the different sized box make the sub sound different? or just save me space? plus then the beauty panel i made will be obsolete because i'll have to make one that pushes farther forward in the trunk.

but...i'm interested whatcha got?

Nope, no sound change. I'm not sure how big the one you have right now is, but I think I remember you saying it was like 1.4 or something. The one I have is 1.62cuft before the sub and it's only 10" deep. You might be able to make yours little more shallow (8-9" deep) and a little taller since the vented pole piece on the back of the sub isn't as large as the IDmax. I dunno...I'll have to have a look at the w6 again and let ya know there.

You would have to redo the beauty panel, but I'm sure you could just cut the existing one and re-wrap it. Shouldn't be too difficult lol.

sorry man...i started doing this before i knew anything about IB.
If you're going to do a new box, IB is another valid option too. Either one will be great
The following users liked this post:
SharksBreath (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by youngbrian
I got tired of having to remove my large box when Vacation time came around each year for luggage space. This weekend I decided to get a Kicker Comp sub an make this box. 8" kicker was on sale for $40 so I still get a little bit of thump on Vacation. Some MDF, foam padding, black "leather", 4 hours and bingo. The grill is for protection from luggage --used spray on touch up paint and a TON of clear coat to match the grill to car color.
Sorry about the bad links. Let's try again.

Vented the top

Here's what it looked like before install and before protective grill added.

Not too bad for a "backup" configuration when trunk space is needed.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Nice and snug!

I have to say that Kicker, though it didn't have much of my respect, has lost it ALL now. If some of you didn't know...they're now going to sell in Wal-Mart.

...yeah.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
nothing too fancy but i like the way it turned out.

picked up some MDF, traced out template for trunk beauty panel, cut the MDF to size, wrapped in matching charcoal carpet, used 3m adhesive spray to hold it down. wrapped another piece of MDF for an amp rack which is in the spare tire area. wraped another piece of MDF as a trunk tray to hold up the beauty panel and sub/box. screwed in 4 pieces of wood to hold the sub box in place behind the beauty panel. used second skin damplifier on the rear deck, entire trunk, and front door panels.

system includes the following...

-massive ck6 front components/tweeters
-JL 12w6 in sealed box (larger than factory size)
-JL 500/1 for sub
-JL 300/2 for components
-LOC
-line driver
-various wiring

You stuffed the stuff in a small enclosure, but lost half your trunk space.

..i don't get it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Nice and snug!

I have to say that Kicker, though it didn't have much of my respect, has lost it ALL now. If some of you didn't know...they're now going to sell in Wal-Mart.

...yeah.

, that's just sad LOL. Now I don't feel so bad about putting the cover on it. Now ... what to replace the decal with ... hmmmm
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
You stuffed the stuff in a small enclosure, but lost half your trunk space.

..i don't get it.
you quoted my entire post, but offered no advice or help.

..i don't get it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM

I think eggy is wondering why you installed the beauty panel.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM

duhh.. for beauty.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Team Owner

This will probably come up as a bunch of red Xs since I can no longer apparently post pictures on this site but here goes.

10" midbass, 3.5" midrange:

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
BANNED

I think eggy is wondering why you installed the beauty panel.
yeah just to hide everything and keep it enclosed. when you open my trunk i don't want you to see amps, wires, sub boxes, etc.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Fixed it for you IHC:

Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-cy9a3.jpg

Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-wjdxd.jpg

10" midbass, 3.5" midrange:
Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)-huonx.jpg
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 AM

I thought I had the dirtiest TL on the site.. I think we tie.

The wife actually washed it last week.

I make sure it's clean where it counts.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

I thought I had the dirtiest TL on the site.. I think we tie.

The wife actually washed it last week.

I make sure it's clean where it counts.
It had just rained that day and most of that was run off from the roof. But yeah, it used to get washed twice weekly and once it was paid off it gets washed monthly if that.

Thanks for the pictures, what did you do? Nothing has changed on my part, they work on every other site but acurazine...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM

It had just rained that day and most of that was run off from the roof. But yeah, it used to get washed twice weekly and once it was paid off it gets washed monthly if that.

Thanks for the pictures, what did you do? Nothing has changed on my part, they work on every other site but acurazine...
The firewall blocks certain sites that were acceptable before. I think it's part of IB's new privacy and policy update. Tinypic, Imgur, Imageshack still work. You can take your original photo link url and paste it into the URL field for those image hosts.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
That door must be really heavy with all that Dynomat. Inaccurate is going to flip his sh*t when he sees this
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
you quoted my entire post, but offered no advice or help.

..i don't get it.
Advice?

Uh, lose the beauty panel.

Put the sub in the right box.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Advice?

Uh, lose the beauty panel.

Put the sub in the right box.
the sub is in the right box. i was told to get that exact box from 5 different audio guru's on this forum. sized larger than JL specs call for.

why lose the beauty panel? it hides everything and makes the trunk look nice.

i'm not in this for the trunk space, i'll drive the SUV if i want to haul things.

Quick Reply: Post Pics Of Your Trunks (Systems)