Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?

My dilemma is that my CD player broke. People that im looking from buying typically have non-navi CD players. Is there an issue with putting a non-navi cd player in a car that has a navi in it?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
You need to match the code on the tape deck door. It will be something like 1tb0, 1tb2, etc. Otherwise, it is not likely to work.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Racer

I found this thread which is a bit of a let down

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/cd-units-difference-between-navi-non-navi-756728/
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Get your head unit type and search on eBay. I got a replacement radio on there for about $300 shipped from OEM car stereo, or something like that. Mine was a 1TB0.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jda123
Get your head unit type and search on eBay. I got a replacement radio on there for about $300 shipped from OEM car stereo, or something like that. Mine was a 1TB0.
Was yours a navi model? I cant really find much info on 1tb0 vs 1tb2. Is it simply non navi vs navi?

Found this thread with a bit more info

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...php?p=11351183
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Racer

Ok, a bit more info

04-06: 1TB0,1TB1,1TB2,1TB3
07-08: 1SB0,1SB1,1SB2,1SB3

Still no idea what they mean.

The numbers are to signify a particular "run" of radios with a certain software version, hardware version, etc.
from https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/face-plate-tl-radios-790432/#post13446052

Last edited by Sutitan; 04-06-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Racer

Sure enough, there it is. I didnt find a picture posted anywhere on acurazine, so I just kind of went out to look for it. Ive owned this car for 8 years and ive never noticed the writing. you never see it from the drivers point of view. Anyways, looks like im 1tb0.
Attached Thumbnails Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-img_20120406_150638.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Racer

Alright. I feel as if im about to begin to go into uncharted territories. There are to many uncertainties. Ive seen people reference face plate numbers and ive seen other people reference acura's part number. Even then, it seems like a toss up. the only way I can be 100% sure is if I were to find a 2004, 1TB0, headunit from a navi car. In a age of rapidly failing Acura TL CD players, its getting a bit trickier to track them down.

So here's my logic. I know my CD player has failed. Everything else works. I have a working function 1TB0 faceplate, and function logic/computer part of the headunit. Nothing else matters. I have a headunit that I bought (which arrived with broken mounts), which has a 1TB2 faceplate, and is from a non navi model, and is presumably working. This means the CD player works. Anyone see where im going?

Im just going to swap the CD players. If the faceplate contains the hardware/software as is believed, then swapping the CD Player should change absolutely nothing. Pins will remain the same. Function will remain the same. Nothing should change besides the fact that the CD player has been replaced with a working one.

Alright, so lets start.

Heres the headunit, with its faceplate removed. As its rumored, the faceplate determines software hardware configuration.
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-hiqwyl.jpg

I had a real pain determining how to remove this thing. There are an obvious two screws on the bottom, and a bunch of obvious, easy to remove clips, but i was on the verge of snapping it off. I realized there was a felt like tape on the top. I felt around with some pressure from my nail, and i found a little hole. I stuck my screwdriver in and whala! There are two screws under this felt on equal opposite sides.
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-53febl.jpg

At this point, there was just a metal bracket attached to the cassette player/cd player combo. 4 simple screws and that was off.
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-mwjb0l.jpg

Now all I needed to do was separate the CD player from the cassette player. There are 2 screws on the left and right side, and there are 3 in the back. They are pretty obvious, since most of them just have brackets that are attached just to the cd player. So here it is. the CD player freed from the lower unit! The ribbon cable you see is typically connected, but I snapped the picture after I figured out how to remove it
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-rojuul.jpg

Its kind of hard to see, but the ribbon cable snaps on to these two little poles just sticking out of the PCB. its not soldered and there is no real connecter. It just sort of pops in and out.
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-gr62wl.jpg

Final and sort of pointless pic. Its basically just the bottom part. I believe that this and or the face unit contain the critical parts in terms of software and hardware. I believe the CD player is pretty much universal and can just be swapped. Hopefully im right and ill just be able to swap the CD player out for my broken one
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-myjeol.jpg

I wrapped up my CD player nice and tight in a few garbage bags to prevent as much dust as possible from entering the unit. the last thing I want is a working CD player the fails due to dust on the lens.

I dont plan on actually removing my head unit any time soon. Ive never removed my center console, and it seems to be a bit of a daunting task. Im going to wait till I have a bit more free time so I can complete it properly in one swoop. Ill keep everyone updated with my progress whenever it happens next.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (03-23-2023)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Racer

This has been a great conversation with myself. I cant believe no one has had any input.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
auto-s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for a really good and detailed write-up. I read it even though I don't have navi.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Racer

Decided to take look up some of the IC's that I could see.

Heres the back of the faceplate. Its got a bit of electronics, but only 1 IC. the rest are just discrete components
Possible to replace Navi Radio w/ Non Navi Radio?-bxiarl.jpg

that chip comes back as: "1/3 Duty LCD Display Drivers with Key Input Function" Heres the data sheet
http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd...LC75853NE.html

I couldent really find to many IC's without tearing apart the bottom half of the unit, so I just found one near the front by the cassette insert. The data sheet came up as "PLL Frequency Synthesizer for Electronic Tuning". As irrelevant as it seems, its kind of a relief. Its a simple chip used for the radio tuning. This means the radio and cassette function are both on the bottom half. This is further evidence that the CD player is a seperate unit. Here is the data sheet for that chip. http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd.../LC72135M.html
Legend2TL (03-23-2023)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You were having a conversation by yourself because you kept posting posts after posts within a few hours.......
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Racer

I could just keep my thoughts to myself, but I feel they would do alot better out here on a forum. Makes it easier for me to keep track of it and I might help someone out in a few years. Im just trying to write my thoughts as they come. I was hoping someone would say something relevant along the way, but I guess not alot of people know.
Legend2TL (03-23-2023)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Did you get a different radio to work with the 1TB0 faceplate? You will get a lot of responses if you do.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jda123
Did you get a different radio to work with the 1TB0 faceplate? You will get a lot of responses if you do.
Depending on how bored I am, I might try out a few configurations.

I currently have faceplates, 1tb0, 1tb2. the units are from a 04 Navi, and an 06 non navi I believe. Ill try out the 1tb0 with the 06 unit and the 1tb2 with the 04 unit. hopefully I can come to some sort of conclusion.

Again, this wont happen for another month. Im a student and this semester is coming to and end. Ill jump on it right after finals.