PLEASE HELP!! With after market install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP!! With after market install

Hi everyone! This is my first post but i have been reading on this forum for quite sometime now. I have not really found a straight answer to my question so I will ask it on this post. Please help me as I am really really excited in getting this install done and I want to do it myself. What I am trying to install is a 3sixty.2 after the after market amp. My question is that I am not sure which (on the stock amp) is the connector that comes directly from the head unit??? I am afraid I may cut the wrong wires. I understand that there is a black connector and grey connector but not really sure which connector comes from the head unit and which connector goes out the the stock speaker. I will be installing diamond audio speakers to replace the stock speakers. The sub... I have not yet decided. I also have along with my 3sixty.2 a 5.1 amp from alpine (mra-f350). Now I must also let you folks know that this is my first attempt in installing an audio system. So please is someone could draw me up some sort of schematic on how I would hook up my system. For example: from head unit to stock amp, then to my 3sixty.2 after the stock amp then from there to my 5.1 alpine amp and my not yet baught mono sub amp and then to the speakers. Please please help me. I know many of you are really excellent at this sort of thing. Thanks to all of you in advance.

oops... By the way I have a 2006 acura tl fully stock and this is my first upgrade and don't want to butcher her and regret it.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced

i dunno if you want to use the 5.1 after the stock amp, i would think you would take out the stock amp completely, and replace it with the 5.1. below is a link from deathtotoasters' install. i think it is very complete, and following it you shouldnt have many problems at all

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=diamond+audio
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Kataklyzm,
Thanks for the reply and the link. I have read that threads many times over and over before I even started this thread. The thing is... I would hate to purchase another item such as the matrix which is basicaly a line output driver. The stock amp will act as a line output driver feeding a nice clean strong signal to my 3sixty.2. I wanted to start on this project this past weekend but I have not done so because I have not had much luck with replies to my question. I just wanted to know which (on the stock amp) is the connector comming from the head unit so I would know which is the right output to cut. As I have mentioned before this is my first time doing an audio install and I was hoping with the help of the knowlegable people in this thread I would have no problems doint this on my own. I'll just hang on for a few more days and If i get no replies to my first post I will have to just pay for an installer to do this for me. Also I have read a post by "jptl04" and I was more interested in how he had done his install. Very similar to what I am doing. But I was I wanted to know more on exactly how he connected (using the stock wiring from the stock amp) everything. Pictures would be great. He did show pictures of the connector and what he soldered but not necessarly how he connected the wires from the stock amp to the 3sixty. So if you see this post "Jptl04" Please help. Or anyone out there. I am soooo anxious I think I will just have to cough up the money for someone to install it for me at an audio shop. I'm just so worried it doesn't get done the way I like it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced

the grey connector(20 pins) is the output from the head unit TO the amp. the smaller black connector (14 pins)is the amp TO the speakers. wish i could help you with the 3sixty.2, but i dont even know what that looks like =P deathto toasters also mentioned that the wires on the grey connector are already wrapped/twisted in pos and neg pairs, so you just gotta strip about 6 inches up the line.

on another note. i am curious if you would even NEED an audiocontrolmatrix. is the power output from the head unit so low that you wouldnt be able to directly plug it into the amp? someone chime in, as this also was the first car i have worked on that had a factory amp for the speakers.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Okay... Thanks for the reply Kataklyzm but I just want to confirm that what you are actually saying is (according to deathtoasters post on his install) that the way it goes is: Head unit to grey connector then to the stock amp then black connector and to the speakers??? Cause from the impression I was getting from "jptl04" install under the thread name "my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!" is that he took the signal after the stock amp for his 3sixty and from his pictures he shows a grey connector. So from his (jptl04) install I understand it that it's: Head unit to black connector then to stock amp then grey connector to the speakers???? Which is correct?? Someone? Anyone? Confirm which is which so I don't cut the wrong wires. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced

it makes sense to me that the grey connector (20 pin) is the head unit and the black (14pin) is going to the speakers. seven speakers @ two wires each, and i believe the subwoofer has its own amp? (not 100% sure on that) after reading jptl04's install, he said AFTER the amp, but has the grey connector, deathtotoasters, jptl04, feel free to chime in anytime, as i will start this project soon too and would like to know. maybe it has something to do since jptl04 left the stock amp in it seems and deathtotoasters took it out completely
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Yes please someone clear this up. Which connector comes directly from head unit to the stock amp? Anyone who is 100% certain please let us know. As it stands now "deathtoasters" install says that the grey connector comes from the head units output and goes into the stock amp input. But seeing the pictures and from reading "jptl04" install it seems that I understand it to be that he took the signal from the stock amp to connect to the 3sixty and he is showing a picture of a grey connector with a caption indicating that the grey connector comes from the stock amp output and to the speakers???? SOMEONE please please clear this up. I'm even more confuse now then before reading all this tutorials.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

i have be reading some threads and trying to understand the whole Line Driver thing.. I notice someone used an "audiocontrol matrix" 6 channel. I looked around and found that those are about $150 or so.. is there any difference in the brands, cuz i found one for $25 and its planet audio.. I guess I was just curious if it matters what pre amp driver i use since im going to go with a good after market amp anyway.. here's the link if anyone else wants in.. its brand new

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-6-C...ayphotohosting
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced

well, if you go cheap anywhere in the lineup, chances are, you'll notice the difference, the 3sixty.2 i believe has a bluetooth EQ with 100+channels of equalization from what i read(i could be wrong) i now have enough posts to PM, so i'll pm death and jp and see what they say
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
if your gonna use the 3sixty take the signal from AFTER the stock amp 14 pin grey connector. they go to the 3sixty high level inputs. the amps connect to 3sixty and then speakers to the amps. DO NOT cut the big black and white wire from the grey connector
Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Instructor

jptl04,
Is there a difference between colors of connecter in our stock amp? I have an 06 tl (non- navi type) and if i'm not mistaken you have an 07??? Did you read deathtoasters post on his install cause it seems he says that the connector output going to the stock speakers is the black connector. And if you don't mine. Please Please Please take a pictures of how you got your system hooked up from the stock amp to the 3sixty.2 and then to your amps. But I would not mine just a pic of how you hooked up your stock amp to your 3sixty. I know it's alot to ask cause it's tuff getting panels off of our cars but if you could please it would help much. Also I do have a question about your system. Since you have a set up that is very similar to what my set up will be... Do you have problems what so ever with your system? I have read several others seeming to have problems with the 3sixty. Alot of question since I am planning on getting started this weekend. But since I am so questionable about it I was already considering paying a car audio installer just do it for me already I hope you would be able to assist me with this cause I really want to do it myself so I don't have to worry about anyone else butchering my baby. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by PowerCommander
jptl04,
Is there a difference between colors of connecter in our stock amp? I have an 06 tl (non- navi type) and if i'm not mistaken you have an 07??? Did you read deathtoasters post on his install cause it seems he says that the connector output going to the stock speakers is the black connector. And if you don't mine. Please Please Please take a pictures of how you got your system hooked up from the stock amp to the 3sixty.2 and then to your amps. But I would not mine just a pic of how you hooked up your stock amp to your 3sixty. I know it's alot to ask cause it's tuff getting panels off of our cars but if you could please it would help much. Also I do have a question about your system. Since you have a set up that is very similar to what my set up will be... Do you have problems what so ever with your system? I have read several others seeming to have problems with the 3sixty. Alot of question since I am planning on getting started this weekend. But since I am so questionable about it I was already considering paying a car audio installer just do it for me already I hope you would be able to assist me with this cause I really want to do it myself so I don't have to worry about anyone else butchering my baby. Thanks in advance.
sorry bro this is one of the last pictures i took of it before it got junked

pm me i'll try to help you out since i'll be doing a similar install in my new 2007 type-s
Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Woah!!!! So sorry to see that.... Hope you're okay and whom ever else might have been with you at the time. I did not know you got in a wreck. Thanks for trying to help out.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jptl04
if your gonna use the 3sixty take the signal from AFTER the stock amp 14 pin grey connector. they go to the 3sixty high level inputs. the amps connect to 3sixty and then speakers to the amps. DO NOT cut the big black and white wire from the grey connector
Hey... What is the big black & white wire on the grey connector???? I don't have my service manual in front of me....

Thanks....

PS: How's the new car???
Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Hey... What is the big black & white wire on the grey connector???? I don't have my service manual in front of me....

Thanks....

PS: How's the new car???
PowerCommander im 100% sure it's the grey 14 pin connector. you can see it in my install pics . big black and white wires are power and ground. there should be no collor difference between 04-06 connectors. i did exactly what you want to do TOOK THE SIGNAL FOR THE 3SIXTY AFTER STOCK AMP.

rodneyc77, IM LOVIN THE TYPE-S!! gonna be putting on my wheels and suspension (tien ss w/ edfc) next month. then i'll start on my system.