Parasitic Draw Confirmed: BLUETOOTH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parasitic Draw Confirmed: BLUETOOTH!

Ok, just want to give a heads up to anyone else who has become as frustrated as I was before last night.

If you have experienced a parasitic draw which, in my case, caused you to have to jump start your car every morning before heading to work, it might most likely be the Bluetooth module in the headliner console!

After replacing my Optima battery 4 times in 2yrs 2mo(under warranty of course), and after the dealership basically just told me to replace the battery with a factory one, I finally decided to rip out all of my stereo equipment, dvd player, Dom's TvNav2Go, and lighting. With no solution, I was almost to my breaking point and almost ready to sell the car.

Last night I took it to my buddy Jerry @ Christian Brothers and within 45 minutes, he had not only found the problem but had removed it and I was rolling out the bay door! Started up my car this morning as if nothing had ever been wrong. Gonna have to buy you a case of Bud Light Jerry!

So if anyone else has had the battery drain problem, consider this:

Normal draw when the car is "asleep" is around 1/2 amp. The faulty Bluetooth module was pulling between 200-650 amps. It seemed to me that the module would never fully shut off and would keep "waking up".

It can't hurt to try to unplug the bluetooth module before you start shelling out benjamins for no reason.

I hope this will ease the headaches of others like it did for me.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
glad you found out what it was, but its been pretty well documented as a problem here on the forum. you could have found out sooner and would not have to go thru all that you did. nice to be able to start your car though!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I figured it had been explained pretty well before. But between the wife, 2 kids (3rd on the way) and work, I usually don't have time to search the forums. Most times, if I have a problem, I usually have to go with the quickest answer. I just figured it was my own hasty wiring that was causing the problem. Never even thought it could've been the car's fault.