Other iPod Interfaces: DLO Homedock Deluxe and Griffin TuneCenter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Other iPod Interfaces: DLO Homedock Deluxe and Griffin TuneCenter

I saw this while browsing around Best Buy. Has anyone seen this?

The DLO Homedock Deluxe $149.99

From the manufacturer's website:

Quick Facts
* Easily connect your iPod to your Home Stereo & TV
* View and navigate iPods music directly on your TV screen
* Watch and control iPod's Movies in DVD quality resolution on TV
* Works with dockable, click wheel iPods - including iPod nano, Video iPod, 4G iPod and iPod mini
* Plays iPod videos on large screen TV via AV connection or S-Video
* View picture slideshows with music on your big screen TV
* Control everything from the sofa with the included 18 Button Remote Control
* Fully Powers and Charges iPod while in use
* Includes all necessary cables incl. AC Power Adopter and AV Cable

Seems like this would work with Dom's TVandNav2Go and PIE X3/Blitzsafe Aux.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would work in the car. The only problem is that it's kind of bulky and you still have to use an infrared remote. I had considered installing this in my car at one point. There is also another one from Griffin and Valor very similar to this. The one from Griffin seems like the best solution. It's cheaper, smaller, has ethernet support for internet radio, and the interface looks better. Here's a link to it: Griffin TuneCenter
Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish I knew about this before I did the mediagate thing. I really don't watch videos at all.........

I would definately use this though. Maybe I'll but one and sell my mediagate and HD to cover the costs.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Masterpoolcat, thanks for the link to the Griffin one. I can see why you like it better!

From the manufacturer's website:
The TuneCenter is currently backordered.
You may still order a TuneCenter and it will ship when it is available.
It's tempting...

Do you know if the Griffin TuneCenter locks the iPod when it is docked? I asked about the DLO one and the Best Buy employee didn't know.

lembowski, dude, its so easy to change your mind. There's always something newer and better coming out. Thats just the nature of electronics. I use my mediagate everyday to listen to my music and only when I need to entertain myself (while waiting for someone to arrive) or my passengers do I use the video feature. So far, it suites my needs. If you do decide to sell it, I'm sure there will be interest for it on here.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
Do you know if the Griffin TuneCenter locks the iPod when it is docked? I asked about the DLO one and the Best Buy employee didn't know.
That I can't tell you. I can see why it would be a benefit if it didn't. Scrolling through my iPod with a remote would take for ever! I am almost tempted at purchasing either or to see how well they work.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Masterpoolcat
That I can't tell you. I can see why it would be a benefit if it didn't. Scrolling through my iPod with a remote would take for ever! I am almost tempted at purchasing either or to see how well they work.
I here that alot. If you just make your list in smaller more managable folders it isn't hard. I have artist cd's, a new rap mix, not house mix, rock mix and I keep them all updated with what I want to hear. This makes scrolling through the folders easy, at the max I put 20-25 songs in each folder.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Trucki!!

lembowski, dude, its so easy to change your mind. There's always something newer and better coming out. Thats just the nature of electronics. I use my mediagate everyday to listen to my music and only when I need to entertain myself (while waiting for someone to arrive) or my passengers do I use the video feature. So far, it suites my needs. If you do decide to sell it, I'm sure there will be interest for it on here.
Yeah I know, I'm a electronics junkie. I just bought my a second laptop yesterday just t play with. I'm addicted. How much do you think I can get for the media gate and the HD together?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Why don't you wait until you see if the Griffin or DLO devices meet your expectations? I remember a few weeks ago you were drooling over the Drive+Play.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Trucki!!

Why don't you wait until you see if the Griffin or DLO devices meet your expectations? I remember a few weeks ago you were drooling over the Drive+Play.
I've always liked the drive + play. Thats what I was planning on first until I saw the mediagate. Can't wait to see if Masterpoolcat or anyone for that matter gets one. I might just go to fry or somewhere tha sells them and see if I can give it a test drive
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Instructor

I'm with you lembowski. I am also a tech junkie. I'm planning on trying to install the Griffin and still maintain the steering wheel controls for the ipod. It shouldn't be too hard to do.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you guys want more info about ipod products and etc. go to www.ilounge.com you can find reviews for just about anything and more
Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the link VelfarreClubber !

Below are direct links of the reviews from iLounge:I quickly read the reviews and it seems that so far, both still have glitches that need to be fixed.

Masterpoolcat should buy the Griffin and lembowski should buy the DLO and then give us a review on how it works in the TL!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Trucki!!

Thanks for the link VelfarreClubber !

Below are direct links of the reviews from iLounge:I quickly read the reviews and it seems that so far, both still have glitches that need to be fixed.

Masterpoolcat should buy the Griffin and lembowski should buy the DLO and then give us a review on how it works in the TL!
Why does he get the cheaper one? But seriously I've read the reviews, and there is no where to plug a RF antena. So that means it has to be out in sight. I might have to wait this out alittle and see what comes out in the next 6months to a year.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Old 10-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
But seriously I've read the reviews, and there is no where to plug a RF antena. So that means it has to be out in sight.
Not necessarily. You could use something like this:

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/ext...html#TE-LFUNIV
Old 10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

^

Lembowski and I (and others) went through this once already with the Mediagate. In summary, it wasn't fun.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
VIP

I have the DLO and it works great. The ipod does not lock onto the unit, it just plugs in and rests against a support on the base. I am considering installing this as well in my RL, but I am thinking about dismantalling the base and figuring some way to create a more compact unit without the bulky base.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by skiunow
I have the DLO and it works great. The ipod does not lock onto the unit, it just plugs in and rests against a support on the base. I am considering installing this as well in my RL, but I am thinking about dismantalling the base and figuring some way to create a more compact unit without the bulky base.
Where did you install it? I'm assuming it doesn't have an IR cable so you can hide the unit. Take a picture please
Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
VIP

I said I was considering intalling this in my RL
Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I think you misunderstood datmrman. He was wondering, when it is docked in the cradle, if it lets you control the ipod through the click wheel. Please let us know if it does! My plan was also to dismantle the base and somehow relocate the ir sensor.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
VIP

It does alow you to control the ipod with the click wheel. The base is nice and heavy and their is the ir sensor on it but when I dismantle it I hope to be able to relocate the ir sensor so I can use it as well.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Thats great! Thanks for the info skiunow.

If the DLO does not lock the iPod and you can control everything from the iPod AND you can find an iPod connector extension cable THEN is there really a need to use the remote?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Trucki!!

Thats great! Thanks for the info skiunow.

If the DLO does not lock the iPod and you can control everything from the iPod AND you can find an iPod connector extension cable THEN is there really a need to use the remote?
I think it would be awkward to operate the ipod while looking at the screen. I dunno just sounds wierd. I would rather use the remote. I just wonder if the Drive + Play brain unit could display its info on the navi screen instead of the screen that comes with it. It would be nice to use that little knob that it has. I need to ask that zax guy to see what the outputs from the brain are.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Ipod extension cables do not exist. The ipod connector has 30 pin connections on it. Most of them are not used at once. Manufacturers decide which pins they are going to utilize (usually between 2-6) and then create the cable for their product. Creating a generic extension cable with 30 wires in it would be too thick of a cable for general use.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
VIP

Why would you need an extension cable if you were using the remote and the navi display? You would plug the ipod in and forget about it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Trucki!!

Why would you need an extension cable if you were using the remote and the navi display? You would plug the ipod in and forget about it.
Because it is ran off IR and for the remote to work the base has to be in clear view of the IR eye. Making it unusable if you try to hide the base in say your glove box.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
VIP

That is why I said I was dismantaling the bawse and relocating the ir eye.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Granted the sensor could be relocated.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Also, navigation with the iPod is a lot quicker and easier than with a remote. This is why I asked about the DLO locking the iPod screen.

My plan is to plug in the iPod, have the display pop up on my navigation screen, and control the music with the iPod. No remote, no infrared sensors.