Nonfactory Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nonfactory Navi?

Hi, just got a 06 TL. My first car. Love it.
Didn't get the navi on it or the ipod accessory...
I find out after I buy the car that I can buy an ipod adapter that's better than the factory one since it does everything that the factory one does and it also comes with an auxillary input as well and it only cost $110, with a y cable that cost $40, and it will cost $75 to install it... total that's a lot less than $1300 that the dealer was asking for the factory ipod accessory.
Now, I'm wondering if there is a nonfactory navi system that I can put into my TL that would be cheaper and better with perks.
I didn't get the navi in the first place because I already had a gps system on my pocket pc...and didn't think $2000 was worth having my car talk to me on those lonley nights. Actually, I don't even know what the factory navi does that nonfactory ones would not be able to emulate. Only thing I realize that the factory navi can do is that you can ask it where the airport or gas station is and it will guide you there and what not. What else does it do? Has anyone tried putting in a non-factory navi system with better features?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the club.

You already have a GPS with your pocket PC, is there anything wrong with considering using it with your car?

I got a 2005 with the factory NAV because I was told that coverage for my area is almost non-existent and I have been using a pocketPC GPS based systems for almost 4 years now and did not see any advantages of spending an extra $3000CDN for it and having the car parked with it at the Airport while I away on business trips where I could use the GPS.

I have been using Pharos Ostia Navigation software and found that it provided very good coverage for the area I travel the most (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Prince Edward Island in Canada).

Also the yearly updates are very affordable at $50 USD.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

frenchnew

Originally Posted by ilpark
Hi, just got a 06 TL. My first car. Love it.
Didn't get the navi on it or the ipod accessory...
I find out after I buy the car that I can buy an ipod adapter that's better than the factory one since it does everything that the factory one does and it also comes with an auxillary input as well and it only cost $110, with a y cable that cost $40, and it will cost $75 to install it... total that's a lot less than $1300 that the dealer was asking for the factory ipod accessory.
Now, I'm wondering if there is a nonfactory navi system that I can put into my TL that would be cheaper and better with perks.
I didn't get the navi in the first place because I already had a gps system on my pocket pc...and didn't think $2000 was worth having my car talk to me on those lonley nights. Actually, I don't even know what the factory navi does that nonfactory ones would not be able to emulate. Only thing I realize that the factory navi can do is that you can ask it where the airport or gas station is and it will guide you there and what not. What else does it do? Has anyone tried putting in a non-factory navi system with better features?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Cruisin'

Hey, fast reply. My wife hates it when I travel this forum since I keep finding new ways to spend money. I hope you are not having similar problems.

My pocketpc is fine at finding addresses and what not. I guess I don't get the perks of being able to push a button and tell my car, "I want pizza!" and my car tell me, "well, you can take a left at the next block...etc" I actually have to stop the car and fiddle around with my pocket pc...
Not that I'll be upgrading my TL anytime soon....
but I was wondering if there are any cool non-factory nav system out there that is cheaper and better than the factory...
I wonder if I'll lose my ELS 5.1 kick-butt sound system if I replace my current dashboard with an in-dash nonfactory navi system. Not that I really take advantage of it since none of my favorite bands make DVD-A it seems like.
I was looking at the navi system like the ones below, but they seem expensive and pretty much the same as the factory navi.

Eclipse 7" HD DVD/Navigation In-dash Receiver (AVN7000)

AVN design: Audio, video and navigation all reside within the same unit, without extra receivers. The AVN 7000 has a hard disk which allows it to handle navigation tasks, as well as entertainment such as DVD-Video and CD, simultaneously—without any interruption.

Color screen: The AVN 7000 features a motorized, full-color widescreen TFT display with touch-navigation technology. Split screen displays, variable map scales and multiple search modes make this GPS receiver one of the easiest to use.

Monitor angle/slide adjustment: The AVN 7000 allows you to adjust the monitor's angle and slide position for better visibility. Choose between forward and backward slide positions, and one of seven tilt angles.

20GB hard drive: This unit features a built-in 20GB hard drive dedicated to navigation.

Voice-prompted guidance: The GPS receiver makes audible prompts as you drive to your destination, so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Massively compatible: This receiver is compatible with CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA, DVD, DVD-R and DVD-RW. It's SIRIUS satellite radio and HD radio-ready as well, and even packs in a standard AM/FM radio.

High quality audio: This receiver is equipped with a 7-band EQ and listening position selector.

TV tuner-ready: You can tune local over-the-air TV stations on the AVN 5500 when the unit is connected to the optional Eclipse TVR105 TV tuner unit.

5.1 surround sound: The optional DCU105 enables surround-encoded program material, as well as upmixing two-channel material, making audio and visual performances simply stunning.

Heightened security: The Eclipse Security Network, or ESN, provides an extra layer of security to your investment. You can use a memory stick or CD to set up your receiver's security.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few threads on here with same question but no real responses. Common answers seem to be
1. convert your non-nav to nav (by buying all the parts)
2. carPC/carputer
3. some popular aftermarket headunits/portable gps

You can find a few threads on 1 and 2 via search. As for 3, check out this one as a good example: CLEAN IVA-W200 Install

IMO the factory nav + Dom's TVandNav2Go video interface is very hard to beat.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 AM
3rd Gear

Hey, fast reply. My wife hates it when I travel this forum since I keep finding new ways to spend money. I hope you are not having similar problems.

My pocketpc is fine at finding addresses and what not. I guess I don't get the perks of being able to push a button and tell my car, "I want pizza!" and my car tell me, "well, you can take a left at the next block...etc" I actually have to stop the car and fiddle around with my pocket pc...
but I was wondering if there are any cool non-factory nav system out there that is cheaper and better than the factory...
I wonder if I'll lose my ELS 5.1 kick-butt sound system if I replace my current dashboard with an in-dash nonfactory navi system. Not that I really take advantage of it since none of my favorite bands make DVD-A it seems like.
I was looking at the navi system like the ones below, but they seem expensive and pretty much the same as the factory navi.

Eclipse 7" HD DVD/Navigation In-dash Receiver (AVN7000)

AVN design: Audio, video and navigation all reside within the same unit, without extra receivers. The AVN 7000 has a hard disk which allows it to handle navigation tasks, as well as entertainment such as DVD-Video and CD, simultaneously—without any interruption.

Color screen: The AVN 7000 features a motorized, full-color widescreen TFT display with touch-navigation technology. Split screen displays, variable map scales and multiple search modes make this GPS receiver one of the easiest to use.

Monitor angle/slide adjustment: The AVN 7000 allows you to adjust the monitor's angle and slide position for better visibility. Choose between forward and backward slide positions, and one of seven tilt angles.

20GB hard drive: This unit features a built-in 20GB hard drive dedicated to navigation.

Voice-prompted guidance: The GPS receiver makes audible prompts as you drive to your destination, so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Massively compatible: This receiver is compatible with CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA, DVD, DVD-R and DVD-RW. It's SIRIUS satellite radio and HD radio-ready as well, and even packs in a standard AM/FM radio.

High quality audio: This receiver is equipped with a 7-band EQ and listening position selector.

TV tuner-ready: You can tune local over-the-air TV stations on the AVN 5500 when the unit is connected to the optional Eclipse TVR105 TV tuner unit.

5.1 surround sound: The optional DCU105 enables surround-encoded program material, as well as upmixing two-channel material, making audio and visual performances simply stunning.

Heightened security: The Eclipse Security Network, or ESN, provides an extra layer of security to your investment. You can use a memory stick or CD to set up your receiver's security.
Just make sure that you do not void your warranty when you install aftermarket accessories. It might cost you more in the long run. I believe the Navi unit is worth the additional $2K because I look at it as a safety feature...I do not have to look away from the road just to listen to "CD 5 track 17".... especially since I have a kid.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Cruisin'

The W200 looks niiiiiiiice.
Next car that I get will be a TL with a navi.
I plan to buy TLs from now till the day I die.
I think you are right Tiffney, the $2K is a good investment.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got rid of the wife problems a long time ago (even before marriage!)

Different NAV software for the pocket PC offers point of interest.

As far as giving voice commands, Microsoft has a specific software available for that see; http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...d/default.mspx

I never used the POI features but know that around here the OEM Nav systems would be more problems because of all the french street names.

As far as changing the head unit for a GPS enabled one, it is feasible but you would loose some of the functionality of the steering wheel controls.

On top of that, the Hands Free Link module is connected to the head unit.

Best regards

frenchnew

Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Cruisin'

I am also in the same position as I did not purchase navi in my car. After a few days I was starting to regret it because I wanted to know where I could get chinese food but just yelling at the audio screen made me look dumb. Then I began to realize that I could build myself a more powerful navi system through the use of a carputer. It would be easy to install, cheaper then purchasing navi out right and if I every sold the TL ( which I doubt in this lifetime) I could take it with me.

I have put a lot of research into this carpc and I estimate that I can build a system with an 8" lcd touchscreen, the pc iteself, and the mounts for +/- $1000. I would have the ability to play DVDs, use navigation like MS Streets/Trips or Garmin software, play mp3s, hookup to the internet, watch tv, burn dvds and cds, basically be able to do anything a high end laptop could do by building something so that I would save money and learn something in the meantime.

There are many choices out there for people who did not purchase navi you just need to chose the best route for yourself whether it be price, style or convience. The choice is up to you.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Cruisin'

Dude, that would be awesome!
The only thing is, would your computer be able to utilize the 5.1 system in the car? That would be the frosting on top of the cake!!! I spoke with a guy in circuit city and he was very pessimistic about utilizing all the speakers in the TL...
Starcraft...in my TL..... What a combo.....

Navigation wouldn't be the most important thing if you had a computer in the TL....
Navigation on my Pocket PC is just fine. My friend has that microsoft talking thing. It's pretty nifty! I have just been too lazy to install it on mine yet... IF my posts seem like rambling...it's because I always type these up late at night....when my mind is wandering about quite a bit....
But hey, that's when I"m truly honest.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to look at the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. I have first hand experience with this unit and I must say it blows away any other aftermarket system I looked at or tried.

Go to www.pioneerelectronics.com and read about it. It's worth your time.

I installed this unit in my wife's Aviator. Here are my impressions vs. the Acura factory nav. The Acura unit has a much more sophisticated VR system. The Pioneer unit has it...and it works...but it's not as seamless as the Acura. Other than that, I don't find any other advantages to the Acura unit. The Pioneer supports TV, Bluetooth, 5.1 surround, rear camera, sirius or xm radio...your choice, ipod adapter, etc. But the single greatest nav feature of the Pioneer is the ability to utilize XM navtraffic. If you're in a city that supports it, it's a lifesaver and a HUGE benefit. It has saved my wife sitting in a lot of traffic jams in just the few weeks she's had it. The Pioneer is also hdd driven and the entire unit is contained in the head unit. You can rip up to 400 cds to the hdd. It uses a different companies database for navigation and POI than the Acura. Both have their good points and bad points. The nav screen on the Pioneer is much better. It is a very good display (and so is the Acura's) but there is more usable information on the Pioneer. The Pioneer also announces the street for your next turn...unlike the Acura where you have to either look at the map or go to the list to see it. The Bluetooth on the Pioneer works perfectly with our phones LG VX8300 Verizon. There are some of the smart phones that are having compatibility issues...especially with OBEX. That seems to be a carrier issue as much of anything. Regardless, those issues should be cleared up by Pioneer as they are working closely with manufacturers to ensure compatibility with all phones. Steering wheel controls are easily integrated to the Pioneer through a PAC module. I can even mute the Pioneer....something I can't figure out for the life of me with the Acura. The Pioneer uses Gracenote....which might mean something to you guys but I have no idea what that is! LOL

Last but not least...the Pioneer is EASILY modded for full use of all features while in motion without the use of gimmicky relays, parking brake wire, etc that try and fool the unit into thinking it is in motion. Those don't work with this unit as it has internal components that recognize it's in motion. This uses a factory procedure that was built into the unit. And yes, you can even watch movies while driving if you're that foolish.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

Dude, that would be awesome!
The only thing is, would your computer be able to utilize the 5.1 system in the car? That would be the frosting on top of the cake!!!
Yes you would be able to use your 5.1 in the car. You would have to disable your XM on your TL and splice the cable. Run RCA cable to your audio output to the computer and there you go 5.1 surrond. Search the forums there are posts that will help you also if you go to www.mp3car.com there is a lot of info there.

You can also put in good quality sound card into your carputer that would have even more capability then the onboard sound.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
FYI, most aftermarket audio solutions you see on here (Blitzsafe, USA Spec, PIE) only supports 2 channel audio.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Mofo

$1300 for the ipod accessory?!?!?!?!??!??
Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

carPC was the way for me....I have 3 navigation systems mostly for show, though, b/c I mainly use only one of them. Check my threads or see my sig.