Non navi to navi help!!!! :O

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Non navi to navi help!!!! :O

Hey guys,

let me start of by saying that ive been on acurazine for about 2 years now and i love all the threads and helpful stuff that i read throughout the site. This is my first thread on acurazine and i hope its a successful one

Ive never performed any mods to date on my car other than getting winter tires :S. i know, its about time :P

So, i have a 2005 NBP Acura TL non-navi model.

I am getting a good deal on all that is needed for the navigation mod. (nav unit, upper console, dvd tray etc.) for about $1100 all inclusive (wire harness, gps antenna etc etc) Could all you just point me in the right direction and any helpful hints and tips would be much appreciated?

Its gonna be and 3 of my buddies; theyre all really informed on mods. Theyve all done audio installs (something that is similar to what i wanna do) on their cars (2003 g35 and 2006 Mazda 3)...so im confident they know what theyre doing. is this mod hard? Can it backfire? whats the hardest aspect?? :S

i know ppl on here have done these mods so if anyone could help me out, itd be tons of help. Promise to post pics along the way ...

thanks guys...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

check out this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/04-tl-acura-tl-non-navi-08-navi-conversion-739375/
I am looking for harness and cables for a Navi system. Where did you get yours? thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I made a STEP by STEP DIY for this: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/im-soo-excited-just-completed-my-non-navi-navi-conversion-diy-included-747456/

Please post any questions in that thread.. This install is easy as long as you buy the harness.. I see that you are getting your harness.. alot more work if you pull the oem harness.. u can either replace all the harnesses in your car with the navi harness.. or you can pull out all the navi wires from the harness and run those wires OR buy the one I talk about in my thread..

see my thread for info on where to get the harness from..
Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 AM
9th Gear

Is doing this set up cheaper than just doing the car PC setup? I have been looking at finding a TL with factory NAV but thought the car PC would be cheaper and more versatile.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it depends on the parts u buy for your car pc.. it could go either way..
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I myself have an 06 tl that was a non navi base and decided to go with the 07-08 navi and had the entire factory harness from the car and gutted it for the wires i needed. WAS A MAJOR PITA! Your finger tips will be hurting and it will take quite some time to separate them all. Had i gone with the 04-06 navi it wouldve been MUCH easier. I also had to find an 07-08 hfl unit which took me about 3 mons (u can use the current hfl 04-06 non navi with the 07-08 but u wont get all the features and i wanted this 100% complete) after i finished the navi install itself. once i got it i had to cut the 06 hfl connector off the car and strip the ends of the wires and solder them to the correct wires of the 08 hfl unit (FUN doing inside the car and glad i thot to use a couple rags to cover the navi screen and consoles for hot flying tiny bits of solder and flux) anyhow its 100% complete and works awesome with my 3g tmobile iphone. uploaded all my contacts etc... very awesome but id prob never do it again.

Just for ref, when i had my pontiac grand prix gxp with a 6 disc in dash changer radio to add the navi was SO SIMPLE compared to this... run 1 wire from the computer under the hood for the vss to the radio connector, add the gps antenna, reinstall the radio, reprogram vin to radio and voila u have navi 100% complete! O and to add the voice command all u had to do was run 2 wires from radio to the xm reciever that was conveniently mounted behind radio! plus the dvd drive for the navi was built into the radio as well!! it had 2 drives... u hit the eject button the screen comes down(motorized) then u have the one drive for music cd's and mp3's and then the dvd drive for nav disc. Oh and you could copy every single nav update that came out w/o fail!!

I know its apples to oranges but just to give u an idea of the difficulty level of adding the factory navi to the TL... 1,000 times more difficult along with having to tear out like 75% of your interior and run 6.8314 million wires(if you are using a factory harness)

anyhow sorry for the story book post but im at work on my day off and thot id type this up while my work is drying! Now back to work!!

Last edited by Mjakaz09TL; 03-13-2010 at 07:39 AM.