New TL-S Owner - iphone question (and I searched!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL-S Owner - iphone question (and I searched!)

Hey everyone - loving the new 2008 TL-S... Carbon Bronze Pearl. Insane car.

I did search and read extensively last night, but I still have a couple of iPhone related questions.

1. Anyone having problems dialing out where you have to wait for the person to pick up and then switch to HFL?

2. Audio integration: this Peripheral unit on ebay says (and according to the youtube video) looks like it will give me iphone and xm text, however it says not compatible with XMnavtraffic. What's the verdict?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

3. Simple question: when using the phone, you lose display of navi or audio, correct?

Thanks in advance for all the great info and I look forward to being a part of the forum.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by MarkJRoseLaw
Hey everyone - loving the new 2008 TL-S... Carbon Bronze Pearl. Insane car.

I did search and read extensively last night, but I still have a couple of iPhone related questions.

1. Anyone having problems dialing out where you have to wait for the person to pick up and then switch to HFL?
I have the IPhone 3G and I've never experienced that problem. Once connected to the car, I can use the car controls to start calls.

2. Audio integration: this Peripheral unit on ebay says (and according to the youtube video) looks like it will give me iphone and xm text, however it says not compatible with XMnavtraffic. What's the verdict?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=
Currently, the Peripheral unit works only on car prior to 07-08. They are working on a new harness for the 07-08 model but if it comes out, it won't be till April.

3. Simple question: when using the phone, you lose display of navi or audio, correct?
No, you don't. You can still use the Navi and/or Audio screens.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by voidtrance
I have the IPhone 3G and I've never experienced that problem. Once connected to the car, I can use the car controls to start calls.
Right - I can voice dial. I meant like once I pick a contact in my phone and dial, it won't come through the HFL until the person on the other end picks up. Is that the case for you as well?

Originally Posted by voidtrance
No, you don't. You can still use the Navi and/or Audio screens.
What am I doing wrong then? I get a call and I get the blackish screen telling me which button to hit to answer the call, I'll answer, and that screen stays on my display. Is there something I should do/change?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Yes I'm having the same issue.. its F'n annoying... you don't hear the HFL during the dialing process and the phone ringing, only when they pick up. I gotta keep watching the phone to see when the counter starts and then immediately press the HFL link button on the iphone and then say watsup. I dont nkow why this is either.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced

Yea exactly - I'll just have to hit HFL on the iphone once I see that it's connected - that also works instead of using the voice commands.

How about with the nav display? What am I doing wrong that when I answer a call, the black phone screen still stays up and my nav or audio screen is not visible?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Had a slight pull to the right in my 1 day old TLS and the dealer was great. Replaced both front wheels and tires. So far, great service from Delray Acura.

I see the ipod/iphone integration issue is a hot one. I guess I'll keep an eye on it until Peripheral updates their cable/unit to support the 3g iPhone and the 08 TL-S that has XM nav-traffic.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

I believe the dialing issue isn't really an issue. Its more like a privacy feature. For example, your in the car with a few passengers and need to make a private call, you then would dial through the phone it self and it would connect as if you were making a normal call without any bluetooth. Otherwise, you dial through the car via voice dial/phone book which would go through the speakers. I know that dialing through the car you have to upload your phonebook and if you want to do voice dialing for your "most dialed" numbers you have to set it up which sucks which makes dialing through the phone easier.

so in short,
you dial through the phone it goes through the phone.
you dial through the car it goes through the car.

after connecting you can switch sources
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
^^ Yeah but there should be a way to permanently set it to one source is what the gripe is about. Also I have no clue why the navi or audio is not visible when your HFL is active, you might have a defective HFL unit. Might want to ask the dealer about that.

Do you have any iPod integration kits installed right now? If you're interested look at my iPhone setup which I think is a few threads below this one.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
3GTLS

I know that I can hear the ringing when I use my HFL. However, I only use the steering wheel controls. I hit the talk button, say "Dial <name>", the car confirms, I say "Yes", the car says "Dialing..." and then shortly after, I start hearing the ringing tone.

Now, that I think of it, I can hear the ringing tone even if I use the navigation (for example, when I dial a restaurant that I have found on the navi).
Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
3GTLS

What am I doing wrong then? I get a call and I get the blackish screen telling me which button to hit to answer the call, I'll answer, and that screen stays on my display. Is there something I should do/change?

Thanks for your help.
Oh, now I know what you are talking about. I was confused between making a call and receiving a call.

When I receive a call, I think I get the same behavior. I'll have to check...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM

I had the same problem.. but found an alternative solution..i transfer mine phone book to nav unit and then whenever i have to make call i use nav phone book.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ikm19
I had the same problem.. but found an alternative solution..i transfer mine phone book to nav unit and then whenever i have to make call i use nav phone book.
me too
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Advanced

I have a ton of contacts so it seems a little cumbersome to dial through the nav phonebook. I can just deal with switching after the person answers.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Advanced

[quote=Elegant TYPE S;10444925] Also I have no clue why the navi or audio is not visible when your HFL is active, you might have a defective HFL unit. Might want to ask the dealer about that.quote]

Well I get that answer instructional screen and if I hit cancel, I get my navi display up, but I don't seem to be able to get my audio display up... not that it really matters if you're on a phone call. Just curious really. I think it's functioning normally - just trying to figure it all out.

I'll check out your iphone setup now.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 PM

I have a ton of contacts so it seems a little cumbersome to dial through the nav phonebook. I can just deal with switching after the person answers.
You can use search option.. and it does work great while driving too...

Has Data Connection ever worked on iPhone 3G...

Last edited by ikm19; 01-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Advanced

Has Data Connection ever worked on iPhone 3G...
Not yet for me, however I have started receiving those "welcome" messages now from Acuralink.. so I think it's connecting through something.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Not yet for me, however I have started receiving those "welcome" messages now from Acuralink.. so I think it's connecting through something.
I think they bounce those through XM not cellphone, cuz you'll get those even without having a phone paired.

As for dialing, i ended up transfering my phonebook to the navi, because the dialing from the phone was a pain to re-sync.

I was not able to get the data thing to work through the iPhone, but i think you need to jailbreak and then use a tethering app to hook it up that way.