New DVD-A's - worth it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Go Giants!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New DVD-A's - worth it!

I just purchased 5 new DVD-A's from DVD Empire. I've got to say that the sound of these is incredible. The best (w/o a doubt) sound quality and fullness I've had in a car. I purchased:

T-Rex - Electric Warrior
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Foreigner - Foreigner
Queen - A night at the Opera
Yes - Fragile

All good, all worth the time and IMO the $.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:49 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
..............all good ones! (For "older", classic titles)
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe i saw the best of eagles in dts cd format. there is a section in virgin mega store just for dts surround audio cds. i'm sure the surround sound is decoded the same as those dvd audio discs.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
If you really want to show off what your stereo can do, look for the recording of the 1812 Overture on the Telarc label. I've got a copy on SACD that sounds incredible at home, so I'll probably buy a DVD-A copy for the car.

So far I've picked up four DVD-As: "Pet Sounds," "Brian Wilson Live at the Roxy," Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," and "Venus and Mars" by Wings (which is a DTS disc). They sound really good and I've picked up some sounds that I hadn't heard before in the stereo mixes; the only really annoying thing is that on "Venus and Mars" the tracks are all in the wrong order (as compared to my 30-year-old LP). The tracks on "Rumours" are rearranged slightly too, but that's because they added "Silver Springs" to the album. No new tracks on "Venus and Mars," and no explanation for changing the running order.

I think I'm gonna have to buy one of those universal CD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A players for home. The number of formats is starting to get ridiculous. Anyone have a universal player and, if so, which one do you have?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got a Denon DVD-2200 that works quite nicely. I still listen far more in the car though; the thing about surround music at home is you have to stay stationary to keep the image, and that's a lot easier to do while driving.

Mike
Old 09-01-2004, 04:53 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
If you really want to show off what your stereo can do, look for the recording of the 1812 Overture on the Telarc label. I've got a copy on SACD that sounds incredible at home, so I'll probably buy a DVD-A copy for the car.

So far I've picked up four DVD-As: "Pet Sounds," "Brian Wilson Live at the Roxy," Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," and "Venus and Mars" by Wings (which is a DTS disc). They sound really good and I've picked up some sounds that I hadn't heard before in the stereo mixes; the only really annoying thing is that on "Venus and Mars" the tracks are all in the wrong order (as compared to my 30-year-old LP). The tracks on "Rumours" are rearranged slightly too, but that's because they added "Silver Springs" to the album. No new tracks on "Venus and Mars," and no explanation for changing the running order.

I think I'm gonna have to buy one of those universal CD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A players for home. The number of formats is starting to get ridiculous. Anyone have a universal player and, if so, which one do you have?
The reason for changing the track order is rooted in the 1970's. This DTS CD (as well as many others) was created from the Quadraphonic Master Tape that was used to master the quadraphonic 8 track tape that Apple issued in the 1970's. A stereo 8 track had 4 "sides", a quad 8 had 2.

In order to balance the time on each "side" of the tape so that there would be an economy of tape (and no long silence at the end of the shorter side), songs were "moved" to create an equal distribution of music on each side of the tape.

Another example of this is the Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle" DTS CD. The song "Mercury Blues" is faded early in comparison with the stereo album/CD. This is because the song was faded early on the Quad 8 to get the times equal on the original tape!

Ancient trivia - right here at ATL.com!

:-jon

www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums
Old 09-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Advanced

The best "sounding" DVD-A I've heard so far is Beck's Sea Change. And I think it is a great disc as well.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Racer

I dont care how old you are, but you all must atleast rent (if there is such a thing) Reanimation - Linkin Park. It is their remixed album of Hybrid Theory, and its amazing!! None of that mono crap that they somhow spliced into 6 channels.... definatly a must
Old 09-05-2004, 08:29 PM
9th Gear

The best sounding DVD-A's I've heard are the 2 newest Steely Dan Discs
Old 09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Neogeek
I dont care how old you are, but you all must atleast rent (if there is such a thing) Reanimation - Linkin Park. It is their remixed album of Hybrid Theory, and its amazing!! None of that mono crap that they somhow spliced into 6 channels.... definatly a must
I agree! Reanimation is AWESOME. Even if you do not particularly like linkin park, there are so many other artists that do covers of the songs it is like a whole new album. The setup of the DVD is great, the channel spliting is done very well, and the listener gets the full surround sound effect. Outkast's stakonia was a real let down, it sounded just like the normal cd with no surround effects.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Yanks in '08!

i will definitely check pick up a copy of this.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Racer

good... when you get the dvd... just listen to track 20 first crank it up... that will get you in the mood. it isnt the best mixed song for 5.1, but for some reason in my car just gives me the goose bumps... the rest of the dvd is great too.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Linkin Park sounds awesome! so far not many titles im intrested in but the thing that really caught my eye was "the chemical brothers" i got to buy that soon
Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by calpon
I can't get enough of "Everything Must Go". It simply sounds clean in all channels. That is simply the best DVD-A I've heard.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:32 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

If you like the Steely Dans, you should also get the 2 Donald Fagen DVD-A's, "The Nightfly" and "Kamakiriad". Excellent tunes and mix.

As far as Linkin Park goes, that's one I bought without ever hearing them, and quite frankly I liked it a lot! One thing about getting into a "narrow" format, you sometimes try things that you normally would not buy, and end up actually discovering new things!

I again would suggest the Procupine Tree and Flaming Lips DVD-A's to people who may not even know who these people are. If you are in your 40's or so, you grew up with music like this, however, in todays lousy radio you would never hear anything new.

If you like music and want to try something new, get these two along and you will be suprised!

:-jon
Old 09-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I again would suggest the Procupine Tree and Flaming Lips DVD-A's to people who may not even know who these people are. If you are in your 40's or so, you grew up with music like this, however, in todays lousy radio you would never hear anything new.
I agree both of these are good.

I still like DVD-A's better than my $5 per month XM. XM seems a lot like cable to me - 200 channels and nothing on.

Mike
Old 09-08-2004, 05:50 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by svtmike
I agree both of these are good.

I still like DVD-A's better than my $5 per month XM. XM seems a lot like cable to me - 200 channels and nothing on.

Mike
Exactly - and having your collection of DVD-As (and burning your own, for that matter) is like having a Tivo! Always something you want to listen to.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Just ordered 4 DVD-A's myself in anticipation of the the arrival of my TL. I ordered:
1. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
2. Santana - Supernatural
3. George Benson - Breezin
4. Grover Washington Jr - Winelight.

Can't wait to play them
Old 09-12-2004, 08:15 PM
7th Gear

Hey, Folks,

What are the best sites for online ordering of DVD-As?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I won't speak to "best," but I rather like the following two sites for ordering music generally:

Acoustic Sounds at http://www.acousticsounds.com

Music Direct at http://www.amusicdirect.com (notice the "a" in the URL)

The listings at Acoustic Sounds are easier to use, although lately I have been chuffed with Music Direct because I got a really good deal on a Rega turntable from them last month.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Try this site Digitial Eyes and also AIX Records. You can also check UMG to see what was released by Universal.

My favorites in no particular order:

Everything Must Go - Steely Dan
Winelight - Grover Washington
Hotel California - Eagles
Guitar Noir - Laurence Juber
Reanimation - Linken Park
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
10th Gear

Steve Stevens - Flamenco.A.Go.Go

This will really twist your head...

Steve Stevens - Flamenco.A.Go.Go

I never get sick of this DVD Audio. Simply fantastic!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Linkin Park sounds awesome! so far not many titles im intrested in but the thing that really caught my eye was "the chemical brothers" i got to buy that soon
I don't think there is a Chemical Bos. DVD-A. You may have seen the DVD video Singles 93-03. Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole would be great on DVD-A. I just picked up The Crystal Method DVD-A and have been pretty disapointed in the music. So far the best Electronic music DVD-A I have is Tipper Surrounded. The music is pretty good, although one song is a blatant Aphex Twin rip off. Aphex on DVD-A would be AWESOME!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

good... when you get the dvd... just listen to track 20 first crank it up... that will get you in the mood. it isnt the best mixed song for 5.1, but for some reason in my car just gives me the goose bumps... the rest of the dvd is great too.
Personally, I use the first 30 sec. of track #2 to demo the DVD-A on this disc. It uses the surround sound very well.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Instructor

els is a great stereo, but the problem is that at no point is any passenger in the "center" so yeah it's tough to get the full 5.1 feature. it also sounds better IMO from the backseat which i almost never sit in
Old 09-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calpon
i didn't know they issued them in DVD-A? I love those albums. now i just need to trade my 00 for an 04 so i can listen to them on those drives...
Old 09-14-2004, 10:50 PM
2005 WDP TL

Hey guys....I picked up Ryan Adams -- Gold on Dvd-a, I had only heard one of his songs and loved the disc completely. It jams.......just my .02.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Any Steely Dan or Donald Fagen DVD-A will sound outstanding. They do a terrific job of recording the music, so DVD-A will make it sound that much better.

It's the old "gargage in, garbage out" expression. I love Lynyrd Skynyrd, but the DVD-A live recording was a waste of money. The live source they used was mediocre, at best.

greg
Old 09-16-2004, 03:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by automata
I don't think there is a Chemical Bos. DVD-A. You may have seen the DVD video Singles 93-03. Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole would be great on DVD-A. I just picked up The Crystal Method DVD-A and have been pretty disapointed in the music. So far the best Electronic music DVD-A I have is Tipper Surrounded. The music is pretty good, although one song is a blatant Aphex Twin rip off. Aphex on DVD-A would be AWESOME!!!
Crap you just got me confused! but i know it was a dvd-a album for sure
Old 09-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Racer

I got one of the first copies of Blue Man Group's "The Complex" this week. It is far and away the best DVD-A that I've heard, both in sound quality, use of the surround sound effects, and in just plain great music.

I've also got:
Sammy Hagar - hallelujah - must buy for a hager/van hagar fan
Telsa Live - not bad, great songs and sound, but the lead singer's voice is shot
Clapton/King - Riding with the king - was the best DVD-A I've heard until The Complex
Who - Tommy - also very good, sounds amazing in DVD-A

I've borrowed Queen's Night at the Opera, I'd rank it behing King & BMG.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

New Frank Zappa DVD-A disc is out, if you are into it............

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...6&postcount=10