New Cirlinca Solo 2.0 creates near perfect DVD-As

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Young Again!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Cirlinca Solo 2.0 creates near perfect DVD-As

Adobeman’s DVDA GUI and ADOBMANIZER are absolutely delightful contributions to the TL community. That he selflessly dedicated the time, knowledge and effort for no other reason than to share with us is a perfect example of what the Internet used to be all about: people helping people, sharing knowledge and skills. I, for one, am very grateful to him. I have enjoyed myriad of CDs that were converted from stereo to quasi-DVD-A 5.1s. A bit of attenuation is about the only thing that was noticeable, IF you are really finicky.

Now, however, we have a rather inexpensive (the price of 2 DVD-As) solution that brings us closer to the ability to create almost professional-sounding DVD-As from a variety of sources.

Just as I was looking for a plug-in for Foobar2000 to upmix some of my 2-channel CDs (found Steve Thomson’s V.I. Stereo to 5.1 Converter), it occurred to me that I ought to look at Cirlinca’s site to see what the Beta guys are up to. Lo’ and behold, they did exactly what I was looking for. They created a simple interface that is basically a Swiss-knife for producing the kind of sound you want to hear coming out of your ELS system. Now that Solo is a VST host, the sky is the limit.

This is what the new version of HD-Audio Solo Ultra v2.0 can do:

Remastering to high-definition and surround 5.1
------------------------------------------------------
Import music tracks from computer files, CD or DVD-Audio discs (non protected, non MLP). If they are in stereo, convert them to surround 5.1. and/or upsample them to high-definition up to 24bit/192kHz for enhanced clarity and details. Export to DVD or files.

1-Click conversion
---------------------------
The 1-Click function will let you remaster an entire CD directly to a high-definition surround DVD in a few clicks : set input drive, set remastering parameters, go. Or you can convert from folder to folder just as simply.

DVD-Audio / DVD-Video authoring
----------------------------------
Author DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or universal (both) discs with music up to 24bit / 192 kHz or surround 5.1. Add pictures to each track for slideshow effect. Configure the channels of a track into two groups of different resolutions (DVD-Audio) for optimal disc space use.

VST plug-ins support
-------------------------
Cirlinca's VST enabled applications act as a VST host capable of accepting most VST plug-ins (1) for processing on the fly. There is a huge library of commercial and freeware VST plug-ins, ranging from audio effects to spectrum analyzers.

I tell you, guys and gals, that the whole thing is so simple a caveman can do it. ;-) I “produced” several DVD-As from a variety of sources and several types of music. Without exception, to me, the result was indistinguishable from any commercial DVD-A I bought (and bought them all). The DVD-As played like champs in the TL. I am in hog-heaven. Finally my serious collection of prog rock and jazz will be heard as if I was listening in a concert hall.

Do take a look. I have absolutely no financial interest in Cirlinca. I am only interested in sharing what I consider a golden find with the TL community that has helped my many times since I bought my TL in 2004.

Cirlinca's download page explains everything quite well and offers up a free trial.

Kind regards to all and joyous listening.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
cool i was in the middle of putting together a playlist for a new dvd-a
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvda's
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AJ, thanks for posting. I downloaded the free trial and played around a bit. For my purposes ('08 TL) the program is somewhat pricey at $65 for the relatively few disks that I might make.

However, I do like the program and it was very easy to create a 5.1 channel DVD-A from existing stereo music. I've been impressed during my limited listening tests, although some tracks seem better than others. Upsampling didn't seem to add much clarity. The 5.1 disks sound much better than the PLII option, which I don't care for, and keep off.

A few points to note. Because the '08 plays MP3 disks and shows the track info, etc., I find the DVD-A lack of info a negative. Yes, the sound is better overall, but I can fit about 100 high quality MP3 files on a CD, but only 30 or so 5.1 tracks on a DVD. Given that listening in a car has limitations due to road noise, etc, I'm happy with the MP3 disks, so I can't see converting everything to 5.1. For a few favorite albums, it's great.

I would encourage others to download the free trial that lets you create a maximum of 5 full disks within 30 days. Play around and see how you like the program. Also, you can make 700mb or smaller disks which don't count towards the 5 disk limit. The program has a lot of flexiblity as to how you create the surround channels. I only used the default VST option. Perhaps, someone who owns the program can suggest some settings that are optimized for the TL.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Yes, thank you for posting this. I need to give this a try.

2009 Kansas City Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/
Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 AM
10th Gear

"A few points to note. Because the '08 plays MP3 disks and shows the track info, etc., I find the DVD-A lack of info a negative. Yes, the sound is better overall, but I can fit about 100 high quality MP3 files on a CD, but only 30 or so 5.1 tracks on a DVD. Given that listening in a car has limitations due to road noise, etc, I'm happy with the MP3 disks, so I can't see converting everything to 5.1. For a few favorite albums, it's great."

DVDA's offer you 99 Songs per group; 9 groups available. Max size ~8.3GB.What did you do that you were only able to get 30 or so songs on the DVD
Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08pearlwhite
DVDA's offer you 99 Songs per group; 9 groups available. Max size ~8.3GB.What did you do that you were only able to get 30 or so songs on the DVD
I began by importing WAV files into the program. Next, in order to get 5.1 surround sound, I selected the VST V.I. option for all files.

The process of adding the surround information greatly increases the file size, hence only 30-35 songs on a single sided DVD+R.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Originally Posted by AJRozsa
Adobeman’s DVDA GUI and ADOBMANIZER are absolutely delightful contributions to the TL community. That he selflessly dedicated the time, knowledge and effort for no other reason than to share with us is a perfect example of what the Internet used to be all about: people helping people, sharing knowledge and skills. I, for one, am very grateful to him. I have enjoyed myriad of CDs that were converted from stereo to quasi-DVD-A 5.1s. A bit of attenuation is about the only thing that was noticeable, IF you are really finicky.

Now, however, we have a rather inexpensive (the price of 2 DVD-As) solution that brings us closer to the ability to create almost professional-sounding DVD-As from a variety of sources.

Just as I was looking for a plug-in for Foobar2000 to upmix some of my 2-channel CDs (found Steve Thomson’s V.I. Stereo to 5.1 Converter), it occurred to me that I ought to look at Cirlinca’s site to see what the Beta guys are up to. Lo’ and behold, they did exactly what I was looking for. They created a simple interface that is basically a Swiss-knife for producing the kind of sound you want to hear coming out of your ELS system. Now that Solo is a VST host, the sky is the limit.

This is what the new version of HD-Audio Solo Ultra v2.0 can do:

Remastering to high-definition and surround 5.1
------------------------------------------------------
Import music tracks from computer files, CD or DVD-Audio discs (non protected, non MLP). If they are in stereo, convert them to surround 5.1. and/or upsample them to high-definition up to 24bit/192kHz for enhanced clarity and details. Export to DVD or files.

1-Click conversion
---------------------------
The 1-Click function will let you remaster an entire CD directly to a high-definition surround DVD in a few clicks : set input drive, set remastering parameters, go. Or you can convert from folder to folder just as simply.

DVD-Audio / DVD-Video authoring
----------------------------------
Author DVD-Audio, DVD-Video or universal (both) discs with music up to 24bit / 192 kHz or surround 5.1. Add pictures to each track for slideshow effect. Configure the channels of a track into two groups of different resolutions (DVD-Audio) for optimal disc space use.

VST plug-ins support
-------------------------
Cirlinca's VST enabled applications act as a VST host capable of accepting most VST plug-ins (1) for processing on the fly. There is a huge library of commercial and freeware VST plug-ins, ranging from audio effects to spectrum analyzers.

I tell you, guys and gals, that the whole thing is so simple a caveman can do it. ;-) I “produced” several DVD-As from a variety of sources and several types of music. Without exception, to me, the result was indistinguishable from any commercial DVD-A I bought (and bought them all). The DVD-As played like champs in the TL. I am in hog-heaven. Finally my serious collection of prog rock and jazz will be heard as if I was listening in a concert hall.

Do take a look. I have absolutely no financial interest in Cirlinca. I am only interested in sharing what I consider a golden find with the TL community that has helped my many times since I bought my TL in 2004.

Cirlinca's download page explains everything quite well and offers up a free trial.

Kind regards to all and joyous listening.
Need a MAC program

Originally Posted by darcar
AJ, thanks for posting. I downloaded the free trial and played around a bit. For my purposes ('08 TL) the program is somewhat pricey at $65 for the relatively few disks that I might make.

However, I do like the program and it was very easy to create a 5.1 channel DVD-A from existing stereo music. I've been impressed during my limited listening tests, although some tracks seem better than others. Upsampling didn't seem to add much clarity. The 5.1 disks sound much better than the PLII option, which I don't care for, and keep off.

A few points to note. Because the '08 plays MP3 disks and shows the track info, etc., I find the DVD-A lack of info a negative. Yes, the sound is better overall, but I can fit about 100 high quality MP3 files on a CD, but only 30 or so 5.1 tracks on a DVD. Given that listening in a car has limitations due to road noise, etc, I'm happy with the MP3 disks, so I can't see converting everything to 5.1. For a few favorite albums, it's great.

I would encourage others to download the free trial that lets you create a maximum of 5 full disks within 30 days. Play around and see how you like the program. Also, you can make 700mb or smaller disks which don't count towards the 5 disk limit. The program has a lot of flexiblity as to how you create the surround channels. I only used the default VST option. Perhaps, someone who owns the program can suggest some settings that are optimized for the TL.
DVD AUDIO sound > mp3, by far! Not even close.

Also, 07's also show the info for mp3's
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by 08pearlwhite
"A few points to note. Because the '08 plays MP3 disks and shows the track info, etc., I find the DVD-A lack of info a negative. Yes, the sound is better overall, but I can fit about 100 high quality MP3 files on a CD, but only 30 or so 5.1 tracks on a DVD. Given that listening in a car has limitations due to road noise, etc, I'm happy with the MP3 disks, so I can't see converting everything to 5.1. For a few favorite albums, it's great."

Like you said above, DVD-Audio discs are all about the high quality sound in a surround sound format. If it increases the file size-so be it. This format is not designed to put lots of music on a disc-it's about putting high quality recordings on the disc. If people want a lot of songs on a disc, burn a straight set of MP3 songs on a disc and forgot the quality.

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I made one DVD-A with 99 songs. Boy do they sound great!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have enjoyed myriad of CDs that were converted from stereo to quasi-DVD-A 5.1s.
This is the key comment from the OP, quasi DVD-5.1, it's not 5.1 channels coming from mp3's or cd's. Just keep in mind that while the quality and headroom of DVD-A is the best format at this time for mobile audio, it's not true 5.1. What some of us are trying to locate, on the mac mind you, is a 5.1 DVD-audio extractor that will maintain it's AC3 format and enable us to burn back to 5.1 DVD-audio, with lossless quality of course.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
This is the key comment from the OP, quasi DVD-5.1, it's not 5.1 channels coming from mp3's or cd's. Just keep in mind that while the quality and headroom of DVD-A is the best format at this time for mobile audio, it's not true 5.1. What some of us are trying to locate, on the mac mind you, is a 5.1 DVD-audio extractor that will maintain it's AC3 format and enable us to burn back to 5.1 DVD-audio, with lossless quality of course.
Yep. Some of the "simulated" or "quasi" 5.1 sounds pretty good, depending on the source, but it is not nearly as good as commerically mastered 5.1.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Grrrrrr.. Unless you are demuxing WAV or FLAC.... there is no point of of turning lossy crappy mp3 into DVD-A.

But this program is interesting. I love the sound of DVD-A.. I wish there was a store who would sell them locally.. It's quite pricey to make a nice collection via online retailers

I'd buy a whole set. I'm sure most music stores can't sell these discs..so they may as well give them away cheap.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
AVB for President!

I'm a bit lazy to search, but was Adobeman's DVD-A GUI ever updated to prevent having to make the ISO twice due to the sector offset required (I believe it was sector 282)? This effectively make the DVD-A iso image creation process take twice as long. If not, does Cirlinca get around this issue altogether?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I too lazy to look also, but in the Mac process you only mac the ISO file once, unless you want to alter your playlist or add songs, then you have to create another ISO file.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Ezv
Intermediate

what kind of dvd's are we supposed to use for burning? i tried a dvd-r and it didn't seem to play in the car? any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

Dvd-R work fine in Acura TL's. My question is this though. I see the different groups you can make with Cirlinca's software but I do not see how to move to the next group while playing in the car? My TL is without navi if it makes a difference.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DurtyRice
Dvd-R work fine in Acura TL's. My question is this though. I see the different groups you can make with Cirlinca's software but I do not see how to move to the next group while playing in the car? My TL is without navi if it makes a difference.
Uhh i believe press the SCAN and REPEAT button at the same time and hold it there for a second or so. then it should go to the next group.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Ezv
Intermediate

i'm wondering if i'm doing it wrong or what? I burned the dvd but when i put it in the TL, it doesn't read anything and spits it back out
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Ezv
Intermediate

i used Nero to burn a data iso dvd, could that be the problem? i see some ppl have used deep burner? i guess i'll try that, see if it works
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Instructor

I don't understand. I have tried a CD to dvd-a burn and both times it said that there was a disk error and it aborted. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Advanced

I was successful burning Staples brand DVD +R. You can write to disk from within the Solo program, which is what I did. There is an option to write to an ISO file, but I never tried that.

I reached my limit of 5 DVD-A disks. All burned fine and played without a problem in the TL.