New CarPC Front End

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool New CarPC Front End

Guys,

We've just released our new CarPC windows based front end, Shotgun!.

If you're running a CarPC setup, please feel free to give it a go and drop us a few lines with impressions, suggestions, or otherwise.

http://www.drivendynamics.com/shotgun.html

Thanks!
Collin

Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
looks hot!!! I was wondering when it would become available. I'll give it a test run on my current PC (which is not installed in the car yet).

Im still working on an install project myself, just waiting for funds, and assistance on planning the dashboard modifications.

see this thread ---> https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/yet-another-carpc-project-06-tl-644782/

cheers!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
http://www.drivendynamics.com/shotgun.downloads.html
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
[ownloaded and tested. looks great, and works as advertised. love the interface. very professional and very clean and elegant. I have to say a notch up from the other GUI's out there. I like Road-Runner, but some aspects of the GUI need some work. I like the consistancy and overall "polish" of the user interface, buttons look great, text looks great, layout looks great. you guys definitely spent some time on making this a very pro look and feel.

the only comment I have so far is: not sure I understand the purpose of the main screen "clock" image in the middle. it looks like it should be an analog style clock, but I don't see anything going on there and the config options don't address anything regarding the main middle image. looks like just a space-holder at the moment?

cheers.

Last edited by holografique; 09-07-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks man, Im gonna give it a try tonight!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by holografique
looks hot!!! I was wondering when it would become available. I'll give it a test run on my current PC (which is not installed in the car yet).

Im still working on an install project myself, just waiting for funds, and assistance on planning the dashboard modifications.

see this thread ---> https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644782

cheers!
Nice! We're currently adding a host of other features; GPS tracking, skinability, and Car2Car chat. (For stationary use ofcourse.)

Hit me up if you need any help/tips/tricks with the hardware install as well. Looking out for the final product.

Collin
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Racer

[ownloaded and tested. looks great, and works as advertised. love the interface. very professional and very clean and elegant. I have to say a notch up from the other GUI's out there. I like Road-Runner, but some aspects of the GUI need some work. I like the consistancy and overall "polish" of the user interface, buttons look great, text looks great, layout looks great. you guys definitely spent some time on making this a very pro look and feel.

the only comment I have so far is: not sure I understand the purpose of the main screen "clock" image in the middle. it looks like it should be an analog style clock, but I don't see anything going on there and the config options don't address anything regarding the main middle image. looks like just a space-holder at the moment?

cheers.

Thanks for great feedback! You hit the nail right on the head! The main screen image is just a place holder... We were trying out some different options for a speedometer, or a clock, or some other stat readouts, but scrapped the idea and just added a track readout at the last minute - definitely not the best choice, and definitely not as revised as it should be.

We'll get back on that work out something more useful and streamlined. The track scrolling in the top bar also needs some work.

Thanks for taking the time to give Shotgun! a whirl. We'll definitely keep at it.

Collin
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Thanks man, Im gonna give it a try tonight!!
VMT,

About that playlist issue. I think we figured it out - Can you try that same 1400 song list in Windows Media Player directly? Chances are you'll see the same crash due to a file type error.

Drop me a line when you get a chance. Also, if you can send over that music.m3u file directly we can debug.

Thanks!
Collin
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers.
The Clock lookin thing is supposed to display track info such as track # and track position "2:39/4:30". If you're playing XM it will display the current channel number.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM
"Advance"

Ok I did erased the music playlist but Im now getting another error...so I did reinstall shotgun.

1 thing, I need to reload explorer.exe after that error...it would be better if there was an error than we can get easier access to the OS.

After reinstalled, loaded a 200 files ...same error !!?? didnt stop there...

Resinstalled the software again...but I know now that I can delete all playlist and the shotgun.ini

OK...since I had trouble with audio I decided to test the software a little further...

Internet: I see a white background, and even if I type my address on top, still nothing. But, If I choose a site from favorties (star) it works perfectly.

Applications: Nothing to say, apps.ini...so simple!! its not all the apps that crop or fit the screen like solitaire tho

Audio: When I simply add ONE file into the playlist and come back to the audio player it create an error...but the music is playing ..when I click ok to the error message the software crash same error..maybe its my mediaplayer version..I'll try updating it ...

Video: The video loads, but It creates a fatal error process in background....I think its my Divx version again.....

Could you post a basic requirements in you TOP post...it would be nice for future users!

Thats it for tonight...hope this help
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Racer

Thanks for checking back in!

I think all the Audio and Video player issues are related to your Windows Media Player version. It needs the new DLLs. What's your Media Player version? 11 is what we need. Remember on the download section of the site I have Media Player 11 and .NET 2.0 listed as required. I guess we need to implement a check in there for WMP. Noted!

Also, the Explorer bar is hidden at start, and unhidden at Exit or Minimize. Problem is if it crashes the way its doing right now there's no way to excute a call to unhide. This could be avoided by implementing the WMP check.

As for the Internet screen, remember, you can't "type" anything in the address bar. By design its mean to be used with the OSK, aka touch only input. So to enter a website you'd touch (click) that address bar and then type in your site using the OSK.

Check out your media player version and let me know. Already noted all the bugs and added to our to be fixed list. Much much appreciated.

Collin

Ok I did erased the music playlist but Im now getting another error...so I did reinstall shotgun.

1 thing, I need to reload explorer.exe after that error...it would be better if there was an error than we can get easier access to the OS.

After reinstalled, loaded a 200 files ...same error !!?? didnt stop there...

Resinstalled the software again...but I know now that I can delete all playlist and the shotgun.ini

OK...since I had trouble with audio I decided to test the software a little further...

Internet: I see a white background, and even if I type my address on top, still nothing. But, If I choose a site from favorties (star) it works perfectly.

Applications: Nothing to say, apps.ini...so simple!! its not all the apps that crop or fit the screen like solitaire tho

Audio: When I simply add ONE file into the playlist and come back to the audio player it create an error...but the music is playing ..when I click ok to the error message the software crash same error..maybe its my mediaplayer version..I'll try updating it ...

Video: The video loads, but It creates a fatal error process in background....I think its my Divx version again.....

Could you post a basic requirements in you TOP post...it would be nice for future users!

Thats it for tonight...hope this help
Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
"Advance"

OK that was my mistake, didnt have the WM11 installed since Im using winamp.
I really want 2 help you with this so I'll just try every features and every single buttons...lets begin

MENU:
------
Center display: when the firts song in the list is playing it starts at #0 instead of #1..just to let you guys know
Play button doesnt do anythink could be transformed in a PAUSE when music is playing

AUDIO
------
No major issue, loading is quick.
Button Add (favorites) : I didnt know it was for favorites at first, but its working!!!!
Button Rem : No problem there
Button SEARCH: great features if you wanna search into the playlist, very nice
Button Load: PERFECT!! it adds what you wanna add to the CURRENT playlist...and keeps the fav. list
Button Fav. list: PERFECT!!
Button Play: it stops the song if it was already playing and rewing it ?? is this normal ?? Could be great here again to offer the PAUSE options when the music is ON
Control Buttons: No problem with Back and Next + volume controls

VIDEO
-------
NO comments !! Simply perfect, I'll just have to test the full screen in my car but its NICE....

INTERNET
-------
Works GREAT, now that I know how to use it LOL

DVD
-----
What version of DivX do I need to install, it freezes everytime for me.

Thats enough gor now

Vmt
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Racer

Thanks again man. You're feed back is invaluable.

We definitely need to document some of the lesser known features. Like the Play button, for instance, has three functions; Play, Play to a scrolled song, AND Pause the pause though you have to hold the button for 2 seconds. I know, thats our bad for not documenting. I think I'll add a marker of some sort on the multi function buttons. Noted!

Also, the center display on the main window is going away, its just there as a place holder. I'm thinking maybe a cool looking clock or a Speedometer readout if you have ODBII hooked in.

Also, will change the Add button to a "Star" icon so signify a favorites type function... or something of that sort. We just added that feature and haven't worked out the interface too much.

Lastly, DIVX; I usually recommend the CCCP pack. Check out the downloads page at the very bottom for the link. Depending on the movie yuo might still need a different codec though. --- I still haven't found the right one that will get my Fight Club rip to play.

Check that out though.

As always - Thanks!

Collin

OK that was my mistake, didnt have the WM11 installed since Im using winamp.
I really want 2 help you with this so I'll just try every features and every single buttons...lets begin

MENU:
------
Center display: when the firts song in the list is playing it starts at #0 instead of #1..just to let you guys know
Play button doesnt do anythink could be transformed in a PAUSE when music is playing

AUDIO
------
No major issue, loading is quick.
Button Add (favorites) : I didnt know it was for favorites at first, but its working!!!!
Button Rem : No problem there
Button SEARCH: great features if you wanna search into the playlist, very nice
Button Load: PERFECT!! it adds what you wanna add to the CURRENT playlist...and keeps the fav. list
Button Fav. list: PERFECT!!
Button Play: it stops the song if it was already playing and rewing it ?? is this normal ?? Could be great here again to offer the PAUSE options when the music is ON
Control Buttons: No problem with Back and Next + volume controls

VIDEO
-------
NO comments !! Simply perfect, I'll just have to test the full screen in my car but its NICE....

INTERNET
-------
Works GREAT, now that I know how to use it LOL

DVD
-----
What version of DivX do I need to install, it freezes everytime for me.

Thats enough gor now

Vmt
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
"Advance"

A simple helpfile with some topics that explains how to install and use the software features with all requirements. That would be the best !! but a beta version is a beta version and Im sure this will come with time and updates ...

I'll do some more intensive testing later this week since I have a FREE WEEK !!

keep up the good work!

Vmt
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A simple helpfile with some topics that explains how to install and use the software features with all requirements. That would be the best !! but a beta version is a beta version and Im sure this will come with time and updates ...

I'll do some more intensive testing later this week since I have a FREE WEEK !!

keep up the good work!

Vmt
We're still working on documentation. Thanks for testing, let us know what you find.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:12 PM
"Advance"

No problem man, I know its a lot of work !!

I just got some more time today to test the rest. The DVD and navigation screen is working perfectly.

SUGGESTIONS:
--------------
IGuidance
-The settings options is a nice feature but I think it should be relocated since it could be hiding some route or some iG options.
-When I press the full screen iG option, there's no way I can get back to normal view. The full screen is not scaled to the ShotGun resolution...here's what Im talkin about, I can't see the + and the fullscreen button so I can go back to normal view.

-Just one more suggestion on the Menu screen, it would be great to have the Volume % somewhere.

Thats it for today !!!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
"Advance"

I took some time to create a "Toy" skin for ShotGun....I'll try to do another one more professional ....I just wanted to play with it :P I hope there's no problem with that ???

I dont think I'll push for this one, I'll simply do another one with different colors and reflections!!

Vmt

Last edited by VmtSquad; 09-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Racer

I took some time to create a "Toy" skin for ShotGun....I'll try to do another one more professional ....I just wanted to play with it :P I hope there's no problem with that ???

I dont think I'll push for this one, I'll simply do another one with different colors and reflections!!

Vmt

Noted: IG Tool Bar relocation, Vol Indicator, BUG: IG FS Scaling

Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Racer

Vmt
No problem with the skin creation, infact it would be a great addition at any point. Much apprecaited. Those things take way too much time to create. Even the simple ones!

Any teaser shots?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
"Advance"

sorry I forgot to post the picture lol

Like I said this one is tomuch "toy" kids lookin...Im gonna have to work on it and make it look professional....and also Im gonna have to work on other colors like red, darkblue, orange and green...

Also another suggestion, I think that a section "Settings" could let people choose their skin and Font....also choose between logos and writing for buttons...

Last edited by VmtSquad; 09-18-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Racer

sorry I forgot to post the picture lol

Like I said this one is tomuch "toy" kids lookin...Im gonna have to work on it and make it look professional....and also Im gonna have to work on other colors like red, darkblue, orange and green...

Also another suggestion, I think that a section "Settings" could let people choose their skin and Font....also choose between logos and writing for buttons...
Yo, thats tite! Definitely keep up with this. I would be all for properly crediting and placing the final up on our site - if that flys with you, ofcourse.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by theklassic
Yo, thats tite! Definitely keep up with this. I would be all for properly crediting and placing the final up on our site - if that flys with you, ofcourse.
Also, don't forget that you can always use this same skin in a host of other CarPC front ends (that are skinnable.)

Your final product surely won't go to waste!