New 07 TL-S Navi - spinning outta control

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Space for Rent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New 07 TL-S Navi - spinning outta control

My new TL-S Navigation has started misbehaving! The car less than 1 month old.

Monday, I start the car and no nav at all...blank screen. Granted, it is cold outside. So, I drive a little bit and finally restart the car to get nav online.

Tuesday, Nav goes into reboot cycle over and over and over until I restart the car to get it back online.

Wednesday, I'm driving down the freeway and the whole nav screen is spinning, with North icon spinning, this continues for 40 minutes, my whole commute home.

Today, same map/gps spinning problem, except it did it all 3 different times I drove the car. If I zoom out to 5 miles, the map stops spinning, but now doesn't show XMTraffic.

I've read through the Garage but didn't run across this problem. Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:46 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you see Toto the dog fly by while it is spinning?

Yes...that is the first I have heard of this problem whatsoever....
Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Do you see Toto the dog fly by while it is spinning?

Yes...that is the first I have heard of this problem whatsoever....
Lol ... "There's no place like home!"

Sounds like you got some evil trolls in your system, dude. Take to the stealer! You got 3+ years to make it better b4 you have to pay!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Gotta..

Your car probably meet the hardware problem...
My 07 TL-S is working fine even parking outside (-30c, but the whole system just work very slow before engine warms up.)
you should contact the dealership and see what's going on.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by KmanianTSX
Lol ... "There's no place like home!"

Sounds like you got some evil trolls in your system, dude. Take to the stealer! You got 3+ years to make it better b4 you have to pay!

I would have already took it back to the dealer! Highly recommend!! Especially being so new.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Space for Rent

No ToTo, but as fast as it spins, I don't think I could duplicate it by doing donuts in the parking lot. LOL.

The dealer is definately going to fix it, I was just curious if anyone has encountered the Navi-vertigo syndrome or not. In reading the TSB, I don't want them to replace the Nav hardware with refurb. I'll insist upon new replacement parts.

Broken stuff already, I'm hoping this isn't a sign to come.... I've read some of the other horror stories, although isolated, still made stop and think about the purchase.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced

My '07 TL-S Navi rebooted on me a couple of nights ago. Only once and I'm down here in Florida so cold temperature was not an issue. However I have noticed that on my car icon on many roads will be right next to the road (running parallel not deviating off) not on "top" of it going in on direction and right on the road going in the opposite direction. My '06 TL Navi did not have this problem, so eventhough the two navi systems are a little different, I'm figuring it is not a database issue.

Run N. Gun please keep us informed as to your navi issue and it's fix.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Davan
Your car probably meet the hardware problem...
My 07 TL-S is working fine even parking outside (-30c, but the whole system just work very slow before engine warms up.)
you should contact the dealership and see what's going on.
-30c?! Negative 30 degrees Celsius? I'm pretty sure that's not the temperature where you live, unless you live in Antarctica.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Space for Rent

Oh, I'll keep you all up to date. I figure it is best to document and share these kind of experiences to see if there is a trend.

Friday - Drove the car twice so far, and both times Navi is just starts spinning away about 5-10 minutes after I start driving. I may try to take a video with my wife's camera and post it for all to see, over the weekend.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
2007 NBP TL

I feel your pain. This is the biggest reason i got rid of my 2006 passat. within the first 3 months, the navi started working when it wanted to. multiple dealers give me the same BS answers.....i understand technology glitches, but it was ridiculous.

Hope this is just an isolated incident...Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Gotta..

Originally Posted by brettallica
-30c?! Negative 30 degrees Celsius? I'm pretty sure that's not the temperature where you live, unless you live in Antarctica.
yes you hear it right, I live in Alberta, Canada. once the snow storm coming the

temperture drop like hell. So many cold place in Canada lol~my city is already warmer than Monitoba...
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Gotta..

Originally Posted by Run N. Gun
Oh, I'll keep you all up to date. I figure it is best to document and share these kind of experiences to see if there is a trend.

Friday - Drove the car twice so far, and both times Navi is just starts spinning away about 5-10 minutes after I start driving. I may try to take a video with my wife's camera and post it for all to see, over the weekend.
I felt you have bought a blemished TL-S...the best way to recover it is to change a brand new Navi system BUT dealership has to PAY IT ALL!

Good luck, post video and let us see what's happened
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Got VTEC?

It's just the DVD, get a new one and it should work fine.

Matt
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Space for Rent

Originally Posted by MTVtec
It's just the DVD, get a new one and it should work fine.

Matt
I'd like to think that, but the DVD wouldn't control the GPS, but rather the other way round? My guess is since the car doesn't know what direction I'm travelling, the issue is with the GPS. The DVD just provides maps based on location and direction. My directional finder is borked. Again - just my guess. We'll find out next week.

I'm with you, DAVAN. I expect it all to be replaced (new) at their cost. BTW - that's frickin' COLD!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

take it back to the dealer ... there is definitely something wrong
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Space for Rent

Originally Posted by TouringAltimaLuxury
take it back to the dealer ... there is definitely something wrong
Roger that. I'll drop the car off next week when I'm back in town.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
sounds like the navi drive in the trunk has gone bad. dealer will have to replace it with a new one most likley because not to many drives have to be changed, and also this is a new edition of it, so many damaged ones aren't floating around.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by rocketguy
However I have noticed that on my car icon on many roads will be right next to the road (running parallel not deviating off) not on "top" of it going in on direction and right on the road going in the opposite direction. My '06 TL Navi did not have this problem, so eventhough the two navi systems are a little different, I'm figuring it is not a database issue.

Run N. Gun please keep us informed as to your navi issue and it's fix.
On my 06, I've sometimes seen the car-arrow icon next-to a road and driving parallel to it, instead of on it. It's only for a few roads, which I figured was a map-database issue for those roads. I figured if the GPS was mis-calibrated it would be wrong for everything.

On the other hand, I thought I read elsewhere that the NAVI might use a mix of inertial-guidance and GPS so if it can't see a satellite (i.e. in a tunnel, in a garage) then it guesses where it is.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Though mine is not spinning, it has started to reboot 3-4 times in the past week. Any ideas?

I installed Sirius last Friday and drilled a hole in lower compartment for antenna wire. I hope Acura dealer doesn't say that voids my warranty on the radio/navi system.

3 reasons I can think of:
1. I loosened or frayed a wire while drilling or fishing wire through for antenna.
2. Weather dropped in the past week to 20's. It has rebooted typically 1-5 minutes after starting the car.
3. Quality issues with system and GREMLINS
Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Advanced

ya, i'd say it's a bad disk and it corrupted the system somehow.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

manufact. Problem, that sucks man, Take back to dealer you have warranty
~Jason
Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Advanced

-30c is -22F. The equation to convert Celsius to Farenheit is 32+(-30x1.8). That's some kind of cold where you live man.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by reisb
Though mine is not spinning, it has started to reboot 3-4 times in the past week. Any ideas?

I installed Sirius last Friday and drilled a hole in lower compartment for antenna wire. I hope Acura dealer doesn't say that voids my warranty on the radio/navi system.

3 reasons I can think of:
1. I loosened or frayed a wire while drilling or fishing wire through for antenna.
2. Weather dropped in the past week to 20's. It has rebooted typically 1-5 minutes after starting the car.
3. Quality issues with system and GREMLINS
You don't think they'll try to say my warranty's void do you?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Space for Rent

Reisb - No, I don't think so, but I'm not the dealer. Good luck.

Quick update - Every day the Nav is fubar'd, either spinning or doesn't boot, reboots, etc. I have an appt to get it fixed tomorrow morning. I'll update the thread after I get it back.

I finally uploaded the videos of the spinning Navi if you guys want to see them:

short video: http://www.wydebeam.com/shaunpressle...l/MVI_0097.zip 17MB

Longer video: http://www.wydebeam.com/shaunpressle...l/MVI_0097.zip 79MB
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Space for Rent

UPDATE: Here is what I found out from the dealership - They said the gyros are obviously broken, since the car thinks it is making a constant right turn, which is why it spins and can't find north. They are replacing the Navi unit. They had to order it from the factory.

Interestingly enough, in response to my question about how long it would take to repair, I was told "not sure. We've never seen or had to replace one of these new units before." He said this was a new model for 2007.

I'm waiting on a call, when the part arrives.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Good luck with that.

I had a similar response in regards to my XM not playing when I start the car. "We haven't seen this before. We talked to tech support and they said to order a new XM head unit. We'll call you when the part comes in" I called them last Wed. because it had been a week already.

"It's not here yet." Do you know how much longer it should take? "We're at the mercy of Acura parts, but I wouldn't think it would be too much longer"

Still no call. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks. Glad my car is still mobile or I'd be without for weeks apparently!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I would have held em up for a loaner. That would have given them motivation to get the part in ASAP as it is costing them money. Right now....not costing them one dime to make you wait for the part.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Space for Rent

My service guy has become a good friend of mine, so I believe him when he tells me something. He requested overnight delivery of the part, so I wasn't worried about them dragging it out.

Good news: The new Navi unit arrived this morning and is ready to be installed
Bad news: I can't drop the car off until Monday. Oh well, more news then.

Side note: When I asked him (again) for an ETA for install today, he said the techs have never replaced one of these new Navi units, so he told me to give them some time to figure it all out and share info with each other.

More info to come.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Space for Rent

The Navi system was replaced this afternoon in about 2 hours. I'll pick it up in the morning and fill everyone in, tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Space for Rent

Final update: The Navigation unit (i.e. DVD Player) was replaced yesterday afternoon and today I drove the car without any nav problems. The navi is behaving normally now.

The service mgr did tell me that this is the first new 2007 Navi unit that has been replaced at their dealership and said the swap was pretty simple.

Anyways, the system seems to be back to normal, but only time will tell for sure. If anything changes, I will update this thread.

Thanks!