Need Sub Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Sub Replacement Help

Ok I curently love the bass in my car, but I am still one of those people who needs more oomph in their car. I have looked at the rear deck in my car to see if i could take it off and check out what I have... well that didnt work. I know the stock sub is 8" and was wondering if i could put anthing bigger (10 or a 12) in that spot?

Also if all that failed with the 10 and 12, would i notice anything better with using somthing like a JL 8 inch woofer?

I talked to my local Tweeter sales rep and he said that he would take the sub line out and amplify it with 500 watts but said until they open up the rear deck to take a look and see what they can work with, a box woul be the normal thing to do. I cant take up any of my trunk space since i use all of it almost every day.

I had the installer check out the other day if there was any way to work around it, but he said that there arnt many options except to use the sub out.

I did notice the aperrant risk that with the extra bass, the whole car will start to rattle, but the guy at tweeters said that it wouldnt be too much of a problem since the only big rattles in my car are the speaker brackets (hooked up this massive bazooka tube today that was being installed in this other guys car) and the brackets can be replaced with something more secure.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I needed more oomph too and I got to Memphis M3 12's installed with a Memphis 1500 watt amp along with MB Quartz components all way around with a 500 watt Memphis amp powering them. Sounds unbelievable.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey.. that is all i know also. that we have an 8" sub.. and i always wondered whatt would happen if we switched for another one without changing anyhting. and i was told that maybe the stock power wattage wasnt enough to power an aftermarket sub that handled more power. Causin DISTORTION later on messing up the sub's coils. in that sense, i think its best what they told you. Put a performance sub(8") still, because i doubt you can put a larger one.. and place a small amp with about 300 watts to no more than 500 watts. Let us know what they tell you after, and watt i was going to do was buy a BAZOOKA sub that is pre amplefied. didnt take up much space...
Old 07-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Racer

did you have them installed in a TL? also do you have a pic or can you describe where you put all these components? seems to me like you dont have much of a trunk left
Old 07-14-2004, 02:39 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
I needed more oomph too and I got to Memphis M3 12's installed with a Memphis 1500 watt amp along with MB Quartz components all way around with a 500 watt Memphis amp powering them. Sounds unbelievable.

Can you specify more on this please. Watt happens now with the 5.1 sorround sound? I know you might say (forget that, we have been with 2 channels radios since forever) but just cusious u know... and also, i guess you put this 12 in the trunk in a box right? This guy(neogeek) was trying to replace the stock sub.. and how was all this done? using factory wires? thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
hey.. that is all i know also. that we have an 8" sub.. and i always wondered whatt would happen if we switched for another one without changing anyhting. and i was told that maybe the stock power wattage wasnt enough to power an aftermarket sub that handled more power. Causin DISTORTION later on messing up the sub's coils. in that sense, i think its best what they told you. Put a performance sub(8") still, because i doubt you can put a larger one.. and place a small amp with about 300 watts to no more than 500 watts. Let us know what they tell you after, and watt i was going to do was buy a BAZOOKA sub that is pre amplefied. didnt take up much space...
thanks GunnmeTaLCURA04 for the reply... well they wanted me to put a 15 with a box, which i didnt like at all... well i will come back to them with my idea on what they could do with an 8 and an amp...
Old 07-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Racer

also does anyone one know how to take the rear deck cover off? I was thinking about the JL W7 driver but to me ti looks like there would be some cutting invovled and i want this to stay as OEM'd as possible...
Old 07-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Instructor

I put in a 10JLW7 into my TL it sounds great. Go with a JL it puts some serious punch into the TL.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

ok, i am not too sure about how the acura TL sub is mounted or much about the acura tl sub, but I do know about car audio.

Chances are the Acura TL sub is a free-air sub, i.e. it does not have a box around it. MOST aftermarket subs you buy are going to require a box, and so they will NOT fit into the current location of the 8" OEM sub. The ONLY option you have is to install a box with a sub in it and most likely an amplifier (as most good subs require 250+ watts RMS). So to install a JL AUDIO W7 that would require a Box with about .875 cubic feet interior volume. And I am 99% sure that the current sub does not have that large of a box if it even has a box.

As for fitting a sub in the OEM location, I doubt there is any free-air sub you can find to fit in there that will give you any more bass then what you are currently getting.

If you are willing to spend the $$ you can ask your installer to get creative and find a nice looking place for the box and make a fiberglass one so it takes up an unneeded corner or part of your trunk, but that will be expensive!

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Racer

somi: can you please be more specific with how you set things up (pic would be great to), since i do need help with all this any detail that you encountered along the way would be a great help

oguju- ughh lol that almost ruined my day... Well I can't do anything to my trunk, but what i am thinking is Acura wouldnt put in the best sub made for free-air type enclosures, and hoping that if the JL isnt the one to go with since it requires a box, if there are any reputable good manufactures that make performance free-air subs...
Old 07-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

i dont know too much about free - air subs or who makes them, but u may be able to find a decent one...i think kenwood might make one, im not sure though.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

Ive opened my rear deck ther is 0 room to work w/. Your better offf putting some 12s in an enclosure in your trunk and leave the 8" open. That would sound the best. I dont know if anyone makes any slim 8" woofers but there is NO way your gonna fit a 12 or a 10. Good luck. Im doing the same too. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Neogeek
also does anyone one know how to take the rear deck cover off? I was thinking about the JL W7 driver but to me ti looks like there would be some cutting invovled and i want this to stay as OEM'd as possible...
You get to the rear deck through the top of your trunk. There are some pushpins there to remove. There is some deadening material and you can barely see the bottom of the 8". Good luck!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oguju
ok, i am not too sure about how the acura TL sub is mounted or much about the acura tl sub, but I do know about car audio.

Chances are the Acura TL sub is a free-air sub, i.e. it does not have a box around it. MOST aftermarket subs you buy are going to require a box, and so they will NOT fit into the current location of the 8" OEM sub. The ONLY option you have is to install a box with a sub in it and most likely an amplifier (as most good subs require 250+ watts RMS). So to install a JL AUDIO W7 that would require a Box with about .875 cubic feet interior volume. And I am 99% sure that the current sub does not have that large of a box if it even has a box.

As for fitting a sub in the OEM location, I doubt there is any free-air sub you can find to fit in there that will give you any more bass then what you are currently getting.

If you are willing to spend the $$ you can ask your installer to get creative and find a nice looking place for the box and make a fiberglass one so it takes up an unneeded corner or part of your trunk, but that will be expensive!

Good luck.
EXACTLY. Your gonna need a box. Thats what im doing. My guy is custom making me a box and putting it in the left corner of my trunk . he says he has material to make the job look stock. I was referred to him and everybody says hes the best in all of Oklahoma. also, do not put it in the right corner because thats where the nav unit is. Im putting my XBOX on top of the Nav Unit and held in place by a rack.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Can you specify more on this please. Watt happens now with the 5.1 sorround sound? I know you might say (forget that, we have been with 2 channels radios since forever) but just cusious u know... and also, i guess you put this 12 in the trunk in a box right? This guy(neogeek) was trying to replace the stock sub.. and how was all this done? using factory wires? thanks
Nothing happens to 5.1 it will all be the same. 5.1 is just like stereo w/ a few extra speakers and a woofer. They all are sent distinct channels to play if you do 5.1, it may sound even better w/ Afetrmarket speakers. Im planning on going w/ Infinity Kappa Perfects in all the speakers and one 12" in an enclosure in the trunk w/ the 8" open to circulate the sound. It will still look stock cuz the grill will be there. im planning on doing this in a about a month when some more money is freed up.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Advanced

amplifier

Where is the amplifier located in the 04'? I'd love to replace that first thing! I owned a 01'maxima before the tl and both of these cars have no volume. Great sound in the tl, but you can just sit and spin the volume all you want and it only goes so high. That sucks cuz not everything is recorded at the same level.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Racer

footwell of the front passenger
Old 07-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Racer

thanks eggroll

Well As much as i want to put a box in there, I really cant sacrifise any room, The only place where I could think of putting it is in the front right of the trunk, where I guess that navi units go in Navi TL's, but since I dont have any room I might as well use it, although I dont see how I could get much room.

Is there Anyway I can make it detachable? like putting brackets on the back of the rear seat in the trunk, and when I need em I can unhook the box... I guess anything is possible. I can get 3 12" L7 kickers with a box and Rockford Fosgate Amp for 500 bucks, i would just need to find a good place to do all the bracket shit.

Well thanks for the help While I really want to stay stock and not touch my trunk space, I believe making it take-outable would be fine also
Old 07-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

thanks eggroll

Well As much as i want to put a box in there, I really cant sacrifise any room, The only place where I could think of putting it is in the front right of the trunk, where I guess that navi units go in Navi TL's, but since I dont have any room I might as well use it, although I dont see how I could get much room.

Is there Anyway I can make it detachable? like putting brackets on the back of the rear seat in the trunk, and when I need em I can unhook the box... I guess anything is possible. I can get 3 12" L7 kickers with a box and Rockford Fosgate Amp for 500 bucks, i would just need to find a good place to do all the bracket shit.

Well thanks for the help While I really want to stay stock and not touch my trunk space, I believe making it take-outable would be fine also

brackets are easy to install, just make sure every place you have a wire connection you use some sort of quick connect. But be careful 3 12"L7 in a box not even including the amp will weigh like 150+ lbs if the box is anything more than 1/2" MDF which it should be (3/4" probably). You are gonna scratch up your rear bumper moving that thing in and out if you do it alot.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
Nothing happens to 5.1 it will all be the same. 5.1 is just like stereo w/ a few extra speakers and a woofer. They all are sent distinct channels to play if you do 5.1, it may sound even better w/ Afetrmarket speakers. Im planning on going w/ Infinity Kappa Perfects in all the speakers and one 12" in an enclosure in the trunk w/ the 8" open to circulate the sound. It will still look stock cuz the grill will be there. im planning on doing this in a about a month when some more money is freed up.

smart guy, I had infinity all around in my 2000 civic si which got stolen a couple weeks ago :'( They have got to be the best sounding highs you can get (Infinity Perfect 6.1 components), and I had the Kappa 6x9 in the back (aren't nearly as good but that was the best they had). I also had a infinity perfect 10.1D in the rear for a 10" woofer it was clean but not deep bass like you would get out of a JL. I would recommend a 10 or 12" JL Audio W6V2 in the rear, those are sweet clean deep bass. And JL Audio amps all the way around, they aren't the best but they are damn nice (300/4 for insides, 500/1 for sub). By the way whoever jacked my car, since I have to drive around a FREAKIN KIA right now. Hopefully I can get a TL once the damn insurance $ comes through...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Racer

thanks eggroll

As I have learned from the guy that will be doing this for me....ANYTHING is possible. for examp, the guy is taking apart my XBOX and taking the control ports and hardwiring them to my dash! under the Stereo system where the little compartment is. So I can basically blug a controller into my dash and play. Im getting the infinties all around, another XBOX for the car, 2 7" alpine monitors,3500w Fosgate Amp, Eclosures, motorized rack, Remote key fob that does customized crap, some super loud alarm system that will make you go deaf if you stay for more than 6 seconds in the car or something. He quoted me $5000 worth of equiptment for $3500 and $3000 in labor!!! so a total of $6500. That seems extravagent for labor. But he says that its about about right considering it should take a couple days for him to do all this. Im still considering it. hope to do it next monthish. But I Dunno .
Old 07-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Racer

well i guess hes gota make a living somehow, and if hes the best, then he can charge whatever he wants... lol why are you doing all this stuff to your TL when you were thinking about selling this to your sis and goin with the M3?

Anywho seems like you have alot of stuff cut out for you. Let us know how everything turns out if you decide to go through with it.

I will wait myself till I get back to Cali, and see what kindve deals I can get from my local installer shops (they better give me a good deal, i pay for there rent with all the business I bring them)

Im thinking more now on 2 12" wether they be Infinity, JL Audio, or Kicker first, as stage one. stage two is getting two xboxs linked together and each on there own 7" Alpine monitor behind the headrests with the wireless controllers... ahh im dreaming
Old 07-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Racer

Im not getting an M3 anymore. My parents and I decided its smarter to invest my money than to spend it on something that depreciates exponentially. Im planning on saving up and buying a used SL600 in 5 years. Hopefully with some decent savings I can have it by the time im 21 .

BTW the guy that did mine says do not do wireless! He says its response time is kinda slow and you will be using AA batteries out the wazoo. He said if your plannin on keeping the TL for a while it would be smarter to hardwire the remots to the bottom of the arm rest. I also wanted to do 2 XBOXs cuz im a big HALO nut and if theres only one its impossible to play cuz it splits the screen. BUT 2 XBOXes take up too much room and power so I guess Ill just have to stick to games like Tekken.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:40 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

6000!!!!! tahts alot of money. i got an alpine V12 amp and a Hollywood Excursion amp 1400 watts one channel 1 ohm stabble .. i have 2 12 kicker solo;s L7's.. and 4 tweeters.... now i got all of this from my old car. i have been siting on this for ever.. since i didnt want to make this car vibrate and all the weight. so i was thinking on just putting 1 L7. But my dilema is the Alpine. now i am guessing that our radio system has an amount of channels right now so that the 5.1 soround sounds when DVD A is on.. so how will this alpine that is a 4 channel amp work? i did plan to replace all the speakers even the center speaker, and tweeters. but it seems as if i were to do this and put this amp, that basically that i would be using the 2 front channels of this amp to power the (center, tweeters and doors in front) and other 2 channels for 2 on rear. BAss will be with my other amp. the Excursion... i am not really sure this would work. i think we are in need of at LEAST a 5 channel amp for HIGHS.. that way.

left door with left tweeter
right door with right tweeter
Center
Left Rear
Right Rear

and sub with amp alone..

can someone advice me on this.
\

currently i had this system like this.

Alpine V12 4 channel amp. 500 watts. with Built in Cross over. HIGHS...

1 channel to front LEFT door speaker + front LEFT tweeter.
1 channel to front RIGHT door speaker + front RIGHT tweeter.
1 channel to rear LEFT speaker
1 channel to rear RIGHT speaker

Hollywood Excursion Amp. 1400 watts. 1 channel 1 & 2 ohm stabble

2 Kicker Solo Barics L7's

With a Pioneer Premier Radio CD DEH - P-930 50x4

the only thig that bohters me on the TL is the CENTER SPEAKER. watt to do..

by the way.. anyone in miami, if this set up doesnt work . I AM SELLING EVERYHING WITH CABLES, FUSES, EVEN SCREEWS IF U WANT.. FOR 500.00

THEN SEE WATT I CAN DO..

I SAY IN MIAMI BECAUSE I AM NOT SHIPPING 100LBS BOX WITH 2 12'S AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO DRIVE OR PAY FOR ALL SHIPPING.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Racer

That was a question I had. Anyone know what kind of speaker the center channel is? The guy that was doing my installation said he would have to open it but I didnt want him to yet. So anyone know off hand?