Need some help with planning a system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help with planning a system

Hello all, first time poster. I love this site! I've spent the last three days reading all the FAQ's about these awesome cars, you guys have one of the better car forums that I have seen, very knowledgeable.

Anyways, I'm looking for some advice on speakers, subs and a amp. I'm looking to replace the stock system with something a bit better but keep everything looking stock. I need to use the majority of my trunk for golf clubs or atleast the portion closest to rear of the vehicle(only place that really fits my bag). I'd like to use a 10" Image Dynamics sub but don't really know about the rest of the system. My budget would be around $800 or lower if possible. I know that's not a lot of money but I'm hoping that would get me a good start. I want to keep the stock HU also. So I guess what I'm looking for is speakers replacment suggestions along with a amp and if there is a better sub then one of the Image Dynamics I would be open to that as well.

Anyone know a good shop around the Pittsburgh area that could install the system?

I was an installer YEARS ago but don't really have any desire to gut this car and put in this system.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

I should add I'm only concerned with sound quality, not SPL. Also, my sons car seat takes up the middle of the back seat.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Which image dynamics sub are you referring to?

An sq setup is hard to do on the cheapz

That 800 alone would probably go to processing which is a must and sound deadening.

Last edited by eggyhustles; 02-17-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

I'm not sure which ID sub. As dumb as it sounds I've always wanted to use an ID sub, no real reason. I'm open to other suggestions for the sub. I'm not looking for competition quality SQ just an upgrade from the stock speakers, I should have clarified sorry.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Drifting

For now this is what you'll need

Loc(temp solution)
Components
4 channel amp
small 8"-10" sub sealed

Phoenix gold rsd65cs
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6952-rsd...er-system.aspx

Aurasound rpm plus 10"
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8999

Mb quart onx
http://www.caraudiodeals.com/onx4125-p-4281.html

This is a good starting point. In the future, get some deadening and a processor and you'll have a nice sounding budget setup.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Your $800 will go a lot further if you dust off your wire strippers and take some time to look for parts/supplies. Think about this and let us know if you are willing.

I fear that if you buy retail and pay for install that you will end up with cheap coax and a prefab sub solution installed by somebody who you might not want touching your car.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

I would be willing to dust them off now that I think about it. I'm concerned with the placement of the sub. I like the look of the sub in the back corner of the drivers side trunk but I don't want to lose that trunk space for my golf clubs. What would you guy suggest for a box? I sucked at building boxes so that is out of the question. If I were to do the install what speakers and amp would you guy pick?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Have you considered infinite baffle?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I use the back drivers corner for a fiberglass box and I can get 4 bags in mine. They have to sit diagonal though. I can drop my bag in and take a picture if you want.

My favorite economy component sets are ID CTX and Boston Pro 60. There are no shortage of good ones, most of which I have not heard, so listen to some if you can. I have an older Fosgate 800a4 that I would use for this, but I am sure that somebody could suggest a more modern amp that could do the same thing (that MB Quart that eggy linked looks like it would fit the bill nicely). I would buy enough sheets of mat to deaden the doors, get some medium quality LOCs and a dual 4-gauge amp kit (just in case you use 2 amps). If you have enough left over, then deaden the trunk too. If you cannot make a sealed box for a 10, then send me a PM and I can whip one up and mail it to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jda123
Your $800 will go a lot further if you dust off your wire strippers and take some time to look for parts/supplies. Think about this and let us know if you are willing.

I fear that if you buy retail and pay for install that you will end up with cheap coax and a prefab sub solution installed by somebody who you might not want touching your car.
Originally Posted by jda123
I use the back drivers corner for a fiberglass box and I can get 4 bags in mine. They have to sit diagonal though. I can drop my bag in and take a picture if you want.

My favorite economy component sets are ID CTX and Boston Pro 60. There are no shortage of good ones, most of which I have not heard, so listen to some if you can. I have an older Fosgate 800a4 that I would use for this, but I am sure that somebody could suggest a more modern amp that could do the same thing (that MB Quart that eggy linked looks like it would fit the bill nicely). I would buy enough sheets of mat to deaden the doors, get some medium quality LOCs and a dual 4-gauge amp kit (just in case you use 2 amps). If you have enough left over, then deaden the trunk too. If you cannot make a sealed box for a 10, then send me a PM and I can whip one up and mail it to you.
Thanks! Could you post a pic of a bag in your trunk? I would just like to see how it fits. It sounds like a fiberglass enclosure in the corner would be the best bet. Where is the best place to get one? Could you suggest a good LOC and amp kit? Also, what ID sub would you suggest for a fiberglass enclosure like the one that you have? Leave the center speak and rear 6.5"s alone? Are these the components you are talking about? Link

Sorry for all the questions, it's been too damn long since I have done this stuff!

Thank you guys!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

A fiberglass box is going to kill your budget unless you make one. I got mine from a place called Audio Integrations. Most take 12s, not 10s. I have seen ones that take 10s on ebay. There is a member on here uncald4 that makes them too. Even though they are expensive, they are invaluable if you want usable trunk space and don't want to do infinite baffle.

Yes on the components. I think that they (CTX for $210 shipped on ebay from woofersetc outlet) sound nice for a silk tweeter. Only you can decide if you want a fabric or metal tweeter.

The only ID sub that I have ever had was an IDMax and I thought that it was really nice. More expensive though. Others will have better opinions on ID stuff.

Stinger SGN12 ($16 each shipped on ebay), or the like, would work for cheaper but decent LOCs. You need something that can handle more than 30 watts to use of the sub or you can/will fry the resistors in the units. You need two of them. Don's spend any more than that on LOC and save for a processor later on.

I would leave the stock rears alone. Upgrading the center speaker is a good idea. I just bought Boston S35 3.5" 2-way and they sound a LOT better even for a cheap speaker... the issue is that you buy them in pairs, but somebody on here will buy the other one if you list it in the BM.