Need Replacement for Wendy's Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Need Replacement for Wendy's Camera

Mine is starting to glitch on me. White screens or lines... occasionally it works though...very strange. I suspect moisture or something got in there...

Does anybody have a good replacement for the old wendy's camera? Kinda hoping for the same connectors so it can be a simple swap out.

Links would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
RAR

Found this one...looks promising, anybody have one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coate...5267QQtcZphoto
Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Isn't that a keyhole camera though?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Mine is starting to glitch on me. White screens or lines... occasionally it works though...very strange. I suspect moisture or something got in there...

Does anybody have a good replacement for the old wendy's camera? Kinda hoping for the same connectors so it can be a simple swap out.

Links would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I am in the same boat as you. Same problems with the camera (although half of the time mine totally blacks out). Wendy has an updated camera that uses a different connector. I E-mailed her about it and the new connector allows you to drill a smaller hole through the trunk and she does not carry the old style connector anymore.

I was about to give up and order the new one and change all of the wiring, so if you come up with anything else, let me know. I'm going to look into the one you just posted. Thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
^^ You got a link to that camera?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
^^ You got a link to that camera?
Wendy's New Camera
Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try ebay Item number: 190218231825... was going to order it until i saw this post with wendy's new camera. now i dont know which to get. what do you guy think? its only $29.99 + $16.99 shipping. on the other hand wendy's cam has been well knowed in this site.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine is doing the same thing!!! my girlfriend says my car is poltergiest when it does it

but hey it lasted close to 2 years, she doesn't sell the same camera anymore? I just don't want to take everything apart again!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine too...
Looks like 2 years and thye give up the ghost...
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by jswong
try ebay Item number: 190218231825... was going to order it until i saw this post with wendy's new camera. now i dont know which to get. what do you guy think? its only $29.99 + $16.99 shipping. on the other hand wendy's cam has been well knowed in this site.
Not sure what to expect from something that cheap...then again wendy's cam conked out on me...but at least the camera quality and viewing range was great.

I'd check the view range of that cheap camera first...

Thanks for the link to the new wendy cam. Could have sworn I was looking at this recently, but lost the link.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leedogg
Not sure what to expect from something that cheap...then again wendy's cam conked out on me...but at least the camera quality and viewing range was great.

I'd check the view range of that cheap camera first...

Thanks for the link to the new wendy cam. Could have sworn I was looking at this recently, but lost the link.

Yeah thats what i was thinking....thanks...lucky for me this post poped up befor i bought that cheap cam...... thanks for the advice and also the link
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Trucki!!

what was wendy's ebay name?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Advanced

by the way you think zingers will have a group buy for wendy's new cam?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Advanced

its swm902
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just so you all know, wendy still offers a nine dollar discount if you tell her that you found her ebay auctions off of acurazine. I just bought this camera for my tsx. Worried about the moisture issue, I bought some GE silicone sealant and put it on the holes and the edges of the camera lens. I'm not sure it will prevent eventual water leakage, but it can't help. I blue taped the lens and just carefully put the clear silicone around the edge where it meets the camera body. Once the silicone dries, all the little pieces that went too far into the center of the lens can be easily removed with a good, new razor blade.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

I Just Bought One From Cartoys For 60.00. Was An Audiovox Just Like The Picture You Have Posted. It Works Great! Has Mirroring Capabilities And All, Just No Mounts, I Didt Need Them Anyhow. Go For It!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by Jottle
Just so you all know, wendy still offers a nine dollar discount if you tell her that you found her ebay auctions off of acurazine. I just bought this camera for my tsx. Worried about the moisture issue, I bought some GE silicone sealant and put it on the holes and the edges of the camera lens. I'm not sure it will prevent eventual water leakage, but it can't help. I blue taped the lens and just carefully put the clear silicone around the edge where it meets the camera body. Once the silicone dries, all the little pieces that went too far into the center of the lens can be easily removed with a good, new razor blade.

Thanks, I just sent her an msg and got the $9 credit. Forgot about that credit lol
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Hmm, I was just wondering about future camera replacements myself. The only problem I've had so far is the is that I got a lot of interference when the cold cathode wires touch the camera wire. Some rerouting of the wires and all was good. I've had mine on for a year now.

Has anyone mounted there camera with 3m tape or equivalent instead of drilling holes?

Btw, it looks like wendy is still selling the old camera but there's only 35 min left on the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL...m160236020309&

Also have any of you tried out the Pioneer one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-ND-BC2-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I read about a TSX having that one put on.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Buda
Hmm, I was just wondering about future camera replacements myself. The only problem I've had so far is the is that I got a lot of interference when the cold cathode wires touch the camera wire. Some rerouting of the wires and all was good. I've had mine on for a year now.

Has anyone mounted there camera with 3m tape or equivalent instead of drilling holes?

Btw, it looks like wendy is still selling the old camera but there's only 35 min left on the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL...m160236020309&

Also have any of you tried out the Pioneer one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-ND-BC2-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I think I read about a TSX having that one put on.
There's a lot of discussion about this over in the tsx forum. "Reach" compared the pioneer and Wendy's cam. In his opinion, they are about the same quality. As for the 3m tape, I'm going to try this on my tsx. In the backup cam DIY thread in the tsx forum there are people who have used 3m trim molding tape with no problems. I even think some people used doublesided 3m foam tape, but I wouldn't trust that stuff to stick through car washes etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Mine too...
Looks like 2 years and thye give up the ghost...
Wow. Mine too. I thought it was because it was from the strong water pressure of my gas station's touchless carwash.

This looks like the same camera to me.

Anyone have experience with those cheaper cameras with infrared?

edit:
Just saw your link Buda.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Any updates on this?

Wendy is telling me that both of her backup cameras ("smallest" and "super small") use a new wiring connector that has a mini plug similar to a headphone jack. Has anyone ordered one of these newer versions and has been able to connect it to Dom's TVandNav2Go (via some type of adapter/cable)?

I am hoping to replace my camera soon.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by datmrman
Any updates on this?

Wendy is telling me that both of her backup cameras ("smallest" and "super small") use a new wiring connector that has a mini plug similar to a headphone jack. Has anyone ordered one of these newer versions and has been able to connect it to Dom's TVandNav2Go (via some type of adapter/cable)?

I am hoping to replace my camera soon.
I have the new camera (the one with the lens embedded into the body), and it has the miniplug. While I haven't installed it yet, the camera will work with a regular rca cable. So you should have no problem connecting it to dom's unit. All you need is a male or female rca cable and you're good to go. The miniplug from the camera connects to a female rca patch cable that also has the positive and negative power wires for the camera.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Starcraft II addict

I have the new camera (the one with the lens embedded into the body), and it has the miniplug. While I haven't installed it yet, the camera will work with a regular rca cable. So you should have no problem connecting it to dom's unit. All you need is a male or female rca cable and you're good to go. The miniplug from the camera connects to a female rca patch cable that also has the positive and negative power wires for the camera.
Can you post up a pic of the connections you are referring to on the camera as well as additional cabling needed that you have?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

This is the response from Wendy:
Camera comes with an adapter that has power wires and female RCA plug. The only difference is the new adapter comes with a shorter length cable. In other words, you cannot use any of your existing wires on these cameras but the wiring and the connection to your monitor is the same.
That said. I've just purchased the newer super small camera. I'll keep everyone posted on how the install went.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Starcraft II addict

^-- Awesome! So at worst if the cable is to short we just get an extension cable
Old 05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro

Can you post up a pic of the connections you are referring to on the camera as well as additional cabling needed that you have?
Sure.

The black plug is the end of the mini cable that is connected to (comes straight out of) the camera. The black plug goes into the red mini plug. The red and black wires connect to the power. That yellow plug just plugs into any old rca cable you have lying around the house. These are the same ones you use to hookup vcrs and the like. Then you plug the end of the rca cable that you used into your dom's unit or similar rca jack. Everything pictured here comes with the camera. You still need to buy your own regular rca cable. Here's a link to one on radioshack:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You may want to find one that's shielded though.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Pro

Ditto the question about using 3m trim molding tape instead of screws. I bought some of that red backed 3m molding tape but it doesn't look like it's strong enough. I'm surprised this stuff is supposed to hold moldings on. Has anyone on here used it? Do I need to heat it up to get the best tackiness?

Here's a pic:

Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Starcraft II addict

Thanks for the pic Jottle!

Ditto the question about using 3m trim molding tape instead of screws. I bought some of that red backed 3m molding tape but it doesn't look like it's strong enough. I'm surprised this stuff is supposed to hold moldings on. Has anyone on here used it? Do I need to heat it up to get the best tackiness?
I've used that 3M tape for mounting several items. You get a clean dry surface at a proper temperature range and that stuff is very strong. I have used a blow dryer before to heat up the surface slightly before installing it and that can help, just don't over do it.

I use the 3M tape to install the inverter for my first install of the cold cathode license plate lights. When the inverter went bad, I could get it off the inside of the trunk lid and the 3M tape held it there so well. That sucker is still in there as I can't get it out.

I has just wondered myself about people using the 3M for the install as the surface area for mounting is so small.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Pro

Thanks for the pic Jottle!
I has just wondered myself about people using the 3M for the install as the surface area for mounting is so small.
I'm going to try it with a small 1 inch piece with my camera. I just don't know what other tape to use. 3m makes permanent foam tape for automotive applications, but this is a big no-no if I ever need to remove the camera or want to NOT destroy my paint. Then there's regular old double sided foam mounting tape, but I highly doubt that stuff is water resistant. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for any other tape that would work well without damaging the paint. The body molding stuff is good because it will come off eventually with enough work.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Trucki!!

Guys I installed the new type-s tails and in order to do that I to remove and reground my camera on the bolt on the back of the tails. Since I did that yesterday evening my camera has stopped giving the poltergeist flicker. So for all you guys out there try fiddling with the power/ground wires. I think mine just came undone from getting bounced during normal driving. I've used the camera atleast 10 times taday and nothing! Everything is back to normal

I will give it a few more days and if it doesn't start again I'm calling it a win
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Aquarian 2006 TL 6M

Has anyone tried any of the license plate cameras with the infrared night vision? How does wendy's came look at night? I want to make the mod, but unsure on the camera type
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Safety Car

That said. I've just purchased the newer super small camera. I'll keep everyone posted on how the install went.
Here is the update on my install.

Swapping out the old wires for the new was pretty straight forward. I played it safe and kept the small camera connector on the right trunk arm so that future replacements would be easy; I would just need to disconnect and replace the camera (rather than rewire the connector -- assuming, of course, the connector stays the same).

The newer version's wires are short, but enough to work with. There is no longer a bundle of slack left over as with the previous model. The only thing I used that did not come with the camera was a 6 foot video RCA cable. This was used to connect from Dom's unit to the new connector cable (See Jottle's picture).

I didn't think ahead and ordered the newer super small camera. Well, since the lens is recessed into the camera body, when mounting in exactly the same location/angle as my previous camera, the view was obstructed by the license plate holder. (WaterBearrrr, this is a night shot of the camera in action. I did have lighting from the garage though.)

Fortunately, I was able to settle things with Wendy, and now I have the newest camera with the protruding lens and things are back to normal.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

im having the same issue with mine recently..had it now for a little less then 1 yr, im getting the white lines and occasional fuzz/blurr with mine
Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Camera died from water for me... Do we require NTSC or PAL? will PAL work? I order this but it came in as PAL. not looking forward to the return to HK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=005
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PsychFish
Camera died from water for me... Do we require NTSC or PAL? will PAL work? I order this but it came in as PAL. not looking forward to the return to HK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=005

The bigger issue is that it's a cmos camera. The image quality will be far worse than the wendy cam. You may want to consider reselling it on ebay if the image quality is not up to your standards.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
My camera also does the ghosting thing sometimes but other times it is crystal clear. So I guess it is a problem with this camera afterall, I was wondering what it was. It doesn't bother me now but is this a sign that it's going to conk out soon? It was good for about 6 months. It's been acting up for about 9 months now.....still works though.

As good as Wendy's camera is, the backup camera on my mom's ES350 is sooo much more clearer and blows it away.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Trucki!!

I put a Boyo license plate camera on about 5 months ago and I should have done it from the start. Install was 10 times easier, and the camera's resolution is 10 times clearer in my opinion. Wendy's camera's are sh*t.......
Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Lembowski, you have pics of your install or an eBay link for the Boyo cam?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by funcman
Lembowski, you have pics of your install or an eBay link for the Boyo cam?
No istall picks as it is the same as the install for all the others with running the wires to the DOM unit. With this one since it is a license plate frame you don't have to worry about drilling and grinding anything to make the camera fit some where. Boyo has many different models, but I bought the vtl120 which is a black frame camera. You can search ebay as I'm sure there are plenty there
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
RAR

Here is the update on my install.

Swapping out the old wires for the new was pretty straight forward. I played it safe and kept the small camera connector on the right trunk arm so that future replacements would be easy; I would just need to disconnect and replace the camera (rather than rewire the connector -- assuming, of course, the connector stays the same).

The newer version's wires are short, but enough to work with. There is no longer a bundle of slack left over as with the previous model. The only thing I used that did not come with the camera was a 6 foot video RCA cable. This was used to connect from Dom's unit to the new connector cable (See Jottle's picture).

I didn't think ahead and ordered the newer super small camera. Well, since the lens is recessed into the camera body, when mounting in exactly the same location/angle as my previous camera, the view was obstructed by the license plate holder. (WaterBearrrr, this is a night shot of the camera in action. I did have lighting from the garage though.)

Fortunately, I was able to settle things with Wendy, and now I have the newest camera with the protruding lens and things are back to normal.
Just an update, I did end up getting the newer wendy cam. I've had it for a few months now and so far so good. I didnt like how it was fairly recessed up there, so I added some washers so it would stick out more and you wouldnt see the top of the license frame.

Quick Reply: Need Replacement for Wendy's Camera