Need recommendation for IPod interface installation for 2008 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need recommendation for IPod interface installation for 2008 TLS

Hi,
I'm just about to purchase a new TLS. The lack of a built in IPOD interface is disappointing, but looks like there are some options. I've read many posts in here about DICE/USATech.

I'm in the Bay Area. Can anyone point me to a repair shop that will install one of these interface kits (DICE probably)? I'm going to lease my car, so I'd like to make sure that existing functionality isnt damaged..

Any pointers will help.

thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro

If you answer the following questions it will be easier to make a recommendation. Will you use the XM that will come with your car? Do you want text from the ipod? If you want text from the ipod are you ok with losing it from the xm? What are you going to do with the interface when your lease is up? Are you concerned about cost?

Anyone can install it, best buy, circuit city, any local audio shop, or you - it's pretty easy. I have the USASpec unit, I love it. No text though. But it is less expensive than the dice. I think that you will find that people who have dice will recommend dice and people who have usaspec recommend that. It's pretty simple. From what I have gathered from all of the threads I have been a part of they are both good options, just depends on what you want.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fish008
I I have the USASpec unit, I love it. No text though. But it is less expensive than the dice.
so is that the main difference, Dice allows for text from the Ipod or XM and USASpec only allows text for XM?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

If you answer the following questions it will be easier to make a recommendation. Will you use the XM that will come with your car? Do you want text from the ipod? If you want text from the ipod are you ok with losing it from the xm? What are you going to do with the interface when your lease is up? Are you concerned about cost?

Anyone can install it, best buy, circuit city, any local audio shop, or you - it's pretty easy. I have the USASpec unit, I love it. No text though. But it is less expensive than the dice. I think that you will find that people who have dice will recommend dice and people who have usaspec recommend that. It's pretty simple. From what I have gathered from all of the threads I have been a part of they are both good options, just depends on what you want.
I'd like to use XM that comes with the car. Text is interesting, not necessary.

The key is to not cut wires/holes or anything. After the lease, I will simply remove the interface. It isnt more than a $159 loss is it?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by blkaspec
so is that the main difference, Dice allows for text from the Ipod or XM and USASpec only allows text for XM?
Dice has text but you have to choose whether you want the xm text or the ipod text, not both. USASpec has no text option. The way they hook into the head unit is different.

Originally Posted by dhruvgupta
I'd like to use XM that comes with the car. Text is interesting, not necessary.

The key is to not cut wires/holes or anything. After the lease, I will simply remove the interface. It isnt more than a $159 loss is it?
If you want the xm and want to know what channel/song is playing (text) then buying the dice doesnt make any sense. The dice unit is $144 and the USASpec is $110. You will not have to drill any holes or cut any wires with either unit. It is simple plug-and-play.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
So, not to engage in self-promotion of my own thread or anything ( ), but here's a thread with some installation information.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Dice has text but you have to choose whether you want the xm text or the ipod text, not both. USASpec has no text option. The way they hook into the head unit is different.

If you want the xm and want to know what channel/song is playing (text) then buying the dice doesnt make any sense. The dice unit is $144 and the USASpec is $110. You will not have to drill any holes or cut any wires with either unit. It is simple plug-and-play.
I'm sorry - I meant to say that I'd like to be able to control the IPOD from the steering wheel and car controls. I'd like to preserve my XM as well, including the song titles etc. Is that achievable with DICE?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Pro

I'm sorry - I meant to say that I'd like to be able to control the IPOD from the steering wheel and car controls. I'd like to preserve my XM as well, including the song titles etc. Is that achievable with DICE?
I know for a fact that the USASpec unit can be controlled by the steering wheel and head unit controls. From what I understand the DICE will also work with the steering wheel and head unit controls too. Given that you want to preserve the full function of the xm I would just buy the USASpec. It is less expensive and doesn't involve plugging anything into the xm plug. Plus if you buy the USASpec at least you have something that displays on the screen when the ipod is playing - you won't get that with the DICE with the xm plugged in. At least with the USASpec you get to see a track number and time. Just my
Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

I know for a fact that the USASpec unit can be controlled by the steering wheel and head unit controls. From what I understand the DICE will also work with the steering wheel and head unit controls too. Given that you want to preserve the full function of the xm I would just buy the USASpec. It is less expensive and doesn't involve plugging anything into the xm plug. Plus if you buy the USASpec at least you have something that displays on the screen when the ipod is playing - you won't get that with the DICE with the xm plugged in. At least with the USASpec you get to see a track number and time. Just my
Thanks for your advice. USASpec is what I'd go with. I am not too comfortable with the idea of installing it myself. Need to find a shop in the Bay Area..
Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Instructor

I'm in the same boat, looking for it all for iPod integration.

I emailed this company here:
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/homepage.aspx

They replied and said they will offer full iPod integration for the 2008 Acura TL in about 1 month.

This is another option: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10496

I emailed them as well. They took their time to get back to me but stated this product has been tested and works with 2008 acura TL's without nav. Has not been tested in non-nav TL's. They seemed kinda of shady because when I asked who made the unit they said they couldn't say.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
I'm in the same boat, looking for it all for iPod integration.

I emailed this company here:
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/homepage.aspx

They replied and said they will offer full iPod integration for the 2008 Acura TL in about 1 month.

This is another option: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10496

I emailed them as well. They took their time to get back to me but stated this product has been tested and works with 2008 acura TL's without nav. Has not been tested in non-nav TL's. They seemed kinda of shady because when I asked who made the unit they said they couldn't say.
New companies are well and good but I would be concerned with making my car the test car. Obviously new companies bring new ideas and better specs on paper than existing products but how those play out in the real world is a different story entirely. Nearly every TL on here with an ipod integration module uses either the DICE or USASpec module. Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Instructor

New companies are well and good but I would be concerned with making my car the test car. Obviously new companies bring new ideas and better specs on paper than existing products but how those play out in the real world is a different story entirely. Nearly every TL on here with an ipod integration module uses either the DICE or USASpec module. Just a thought.
Yea, but the other 2 options don't work for me. Both of those units mentioned are not what I would call full iPod integration. Besides, peripheralelectronics is not a new company. And it's not like installing one of these newer units is going to ruin my TL. The way I look at it is as long as they offer a unit which has been fully tested and works, why wouldn't it work in another TL? I'd be happy, they would be happy and life goes on.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Yea, but the other 2 options don't work for me. Both of those units mentioned are not what I would call full iPod integration. Besides, peripheralelectronics is not a new company. And it's not like installing one of these newer units is going to ruin my TL. The way I look at it is as long as they offer a unit which has been fully tested and works, why wouldn't it work in another TL? I'd be happy, they would be happy and life goes on.
Well - might make sense to wait a while and see what happens then! Would be good to see some postings on this product in this forum.. Where do you go to install these things?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Instructor

I plan on ordering this unit from autotoys.com; http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10496

Once it's installed I will report back. The car audio place I work with said they have had "issues" with peripheralelectronics in the past, so he is suggesting I do not use their products.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro

I plan on ordering this unit from autotoys.com; http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10496

Once it's installed I will report back. The car audio place I work with said they have had "issues" with peripheralelectronics in the past, so he is suggesting I do not use their products.
So if your local audio shop says that they are a problem why are you ordering it? If it was that good everyone on here would use it. I applaud you for trying something new and making your car the test car though. But remember that just because some website says that is works doesn’t mean it will work as they say – or at all. I have a tree that grows money – interested in buying one?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Instructor

So if your local audio shop says that they are a problem why are you ordering it? If it was that good everyone on here would use it. I applaud you for trying something new and making your car the test car though. But remember that just because some website says that is works doesn’t mean it will work as they say – or at all. I have a tree that grows money – interested in buying one?
The audio shop I use suggested not using PE stuff, not what's listed on the autotoys website. And no thanks, I already have a tree that money grows on.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ttribe
So, not to engage in self-promotion of my own thread or anything ( ), but here's a thread with some installation information.
My car is a lease. I'd like to avoid cutting any notches. What would be the best option to run the wires for the USASpec unit? Opinions ?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 PM

My car is a lease. I'd like to avoid cutting any notches. What would be the best option to run the wires for the USASpec unit? Opinions ?
There's only one cut to make, it's about a 1/4 inch (if that) and it's in a plastic piece which sits underneath the "rubber mat" at the bottom of the storage area below the arm rest. 1) it won't be noticeable (or even visible); and 2) I think the dealer is likely to be much more concerned about a door ding or a scratch (something on the outside) than something buried inside this storage compartment. Really don't think it would be an issue.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Pro

You won't have to cut anything if you put the ipod plug in the bin just below the radio. There is a whole in the back that you can feed the wire through while you're doing the install, you have to get to the back of the radio anyways. Plus that is an easier install.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Cruisin'

You won't have to cut anything if you put the ipod plug in the bin just below the radio. There is a whole in the back that you can feed the wire through while you're doing the install, you have to get to the back of the radio anyways. Plus that is an easier install.
thanks - this makes sense!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm just curious, can you point me to a picture of that hole you're mentioning? When I was rooting around back there, I couldn't find a hole. It seemed to be totally sealed to me and it looked like I was going to have to drill.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro

Here is the best that I could do without taking my car apart. Hope it helps. I can't remember but with the door closed I think the slit/hole is bigger. Again this is the top storage bin just below the radio/tape/CD player. I guess it is more in the middle than the back. Sorry I must have misremembered (new word thanks to Roger Clemens).
Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

^^ Okay, I see what you're referring to; I was thinking too narrowly and actually looking for a "round" hole that the cable would set down into. Cool.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this was very helpful, thank you!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Any update? How'd the install go? Everything working as expected?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

If I do not use the XM but want text, what do you guys recommend? I have a 2008 TL-S.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aznfrenchboyca
If I do not use the XM but want text, what do you guys recommend? I have a 2008 TL-S.

Thanks.
I currently do use XM and want text...any way?? I might not keep using XM if I can get text from Pandora somehow working.