Need help putting together my dream audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:36 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help putting together my dream audio system

Well, I probably just opened up a forum for a whole lot of arguing, but oh well. I would like to here everyone’s opinion. So here it is, I am trying to put together my dream system for my 05 TL, but I have been out of car audio since about 1990 and the manufactures that used to be good then, pretty much suck now, so I need your help. We will start with what I have in the car right now. I will say I am unhappy with the way things sound right now, and I want to change everything out, with the exception of the speakers, which I think will work great. The Diamond Audio, and Kicker sub, I think have the potential if the rest of the system is upgraded.

Current system
Stock head unit followed by an Audio Control LC6
Bypassed the stock amp (from what I have read, this was the first mistake)
S600a Diamond Audio 6.5 components (front)
D361I Diamond Audio 6.5" Coax (rear)
XTS3.5 Soundstream 3.5" Coax (center) (fits beautifully, I just elongated the mounting holes on the speaker. I highly recommend) As a matter of fact I have an extra one if anyone wants to buy it.
S10L7 Kicker 10" (sub)
Phoenix Gold R9.0:5 5 Channel Amp Front (Bridged 2 channels for front, 1 for
sub)
Phoenix Gold R5.0:4 5 Channel Amp (Bridged 2 channels for rear, 1 for
center)

Head Units?
Eclipse AVN7000 Head Unit, DCU105 5.1 Processor, and the IPC-106 I-pod interface.
Alpine IVA-W200 Head Unit, PXA-701 5.1 Processor, and the RUX-C701 Controller

I have been looking into the above head units and I am leaning towards the Eclipse, but I would be willing to pay up to $2000 for another unit that might sound better than these. My only requirements are 5.1 channels and a sound processor of some kind (equalizer, time delay…), a way to hookup my I-Pod even if it is through some RCA’s (I prefer a direct connect, but scrolling through the folders better be quick, none of this takes 5 minutes to get from A-Z) Navi would be nice, but not required. I would be willing to have a better sounding unit that did not come with Navi, then to sacrifice sound quality with Navi. Any thoughts on some other units?

Amps?
I do not even know where to start here. I have an old amp that would work for the center channel, so all I would need is 2 other amps, one 4 channel and one sub amp.
80w x1, 150w x 4, and 600w x1

Anything else you can add to the discussion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a silly question. Why would you pay extra money for the Navi, only to get an aftermarket head unit which disables the Navi? (Or does it?). You could've saved a couple thousand dollars and got a non-Navi TL, THEN get the dream audio system.

It seems that you know what your doing though. You know all the speaker sizes and amps you need, so your set. Brand name speakers are a matter of opinion really. There's really not a big difference between brands such as Sony, Pioneer, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, etc. Just make sure you have enough power from your amps to give your system some juice.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Reconnect the stock amp.
2. dump the LC6
3. Install a rockford fosgate 3sixty after the stock amp.
4. Your done
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

I stopped looking at audio equipment for a while now since I've gotten my TL, but it sounds like you really know what you're doing. I'm not up to date with the new stuff, but here are my personal favorites,

head unit: Alpine
highs/mids: Dynaudio/Focal
subs: JL Audio
EQ/crossover: Audio Control
amps: PPI/Phoenix Gold
Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Pain
1. Reconnect the stock amp.
2. dump the LC6
3. Install a rockford fosgate 3sixty after the stock amp.
4. Your done
completely...

I personally have the 3sixty.2 and it's absolutely great... Changed the audio system completely...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Ac Man
Just a silly question. Why would you pay extra money for the Navi, only to get an aftermarket head unit which disables the Navi? (Or does it?). You could've saved a couple thousand dollars and got a non-Navi TL, THEN get the dream audio system.

It seems that you know what your doing though. You know all the speaker sizes and amps you need, so your set. Brand name speakers are a matter of opinion really. There's really not a big difference between brands such as Sony, Pioneer, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, etc. Just make sure you have enough power from your amps to give your system some juice.

I guess I should have noted....I have a NON Navi TL
Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneyc77
completely...

I personally have the 3sixty.2 and it's absolutely great... Changed the audio system completely...
And its just an amp?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, It's a signal processor made to correct the OEM HU equalization.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you guys feel about the 3sixty vs. the JL cleansweep??
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't switch out the head unit. The TL headunit is pretty clean. SQ comps have been won using the stock HU. The $2,000 is better spent getting the best amps possible...zapco, macintosh, nakamichi (sp?) to name a few. IMO the amps are the heart and soul of a system. So, get the best you can afford and build your system from there.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 3sixty as well and it's awesome. I have JL Audio amps and Boston Acoustics speakers and the sound is incredible. I would dump the LC6 and get a 3sixty. Keep the whole integrated thing happening with the stock head unit. You might regret getting rid of it.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:38 AM
7th Gear

Ok tomorrow (Saturday) I am going to hook the stock amp back up if it doesn't rain. As far as the Rockford 3sixty.2, did you place this unit in the trunk and run speaker wires from the stock amp to this processor, or did you find a place under the dash to mount it, and run RCA's back?

I am currently looking into the...

Zapco Competition C2k-4.0x 4x100W (4ohms) $1309.99
Zapco Competition C2k-3.0X 1x665W (2ohms) $969.99

I also thought about getting Qty2 C2k-2.5x 2x150W (4ohms) 2x$779.99 in order to match my speakers perfectly. But I do not know if I have the space for 3 amps + the center channel amp. I use my whole trunk for work sometimes.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FattyB
Ok tomorrow (Saturday) I am going to hook the stock amp back up if it doesn't rain. As far as the Rockford 3sixty.2, did you place this unit in the trunk and run speaker wires from the stock amp to this processor, or did you find a place under the dash to mount it, and run RCA's back?

I am currently looking into the...

Zapco Competition C2k-4.0x 4x100W (4ohms) $1309.99
Zapco Competition C2k-3.0X 1x665W (2ohms) $969.99

I also thought about getting Qty2 C2k-2.5x 2x150W (4ohms) 2x$779.99 in order to match my speakers perfectly. But I do not know if I have the space for 3 amps + the center channel amp. I use my whole trunk for work sometimes.

I like the direction you are going. However, the C2K's may be overkill...I've been told that you need someone who really knows how to tune those amps to get the most out of them. They need a lot of tinkering. Have you gone to the Zapco web-site? They have a great forum where you will get quality feedback on setting things up to meet your goals. I have the DC Reference series (one step down from the C2K's) with Zapco competition speakers...I've never heard a system so good in a car.

I am currently running three amps, DC1000.4 which give me one channel each to my tweeters, a DC650.6 2 channels are bridged to my sub and then one channel each to my mids, and a DC360.4 which is run with two channels each to my two center channel speakers (we added an extra speaker). My set-up is for SQ and it is extremely pure sounding.

Because the power is so clean, I was able to overpower my speakers to get the most out of them without burning them up. Initially, I had under powered them and I could tell there was a lot left in them. More "CLEAN" power is better with the right speakers. Definitely match the power to the speakers.

Also, trunk space is real important to me as well. They were able to squeze everything in under my rear deck. I have plenty of room in my trunk, enough to store two sets of golf clubs easily or luggage for three on a week long trip. My hosting web-site is down, but I will post pics later.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 AM
7th Gear

Wow, at first glance no one sells the DC Reference. Just the C2K or the Reference. I will keep looking. As for the C2K I would not mind tinkering with the amp, and at this point money doesn't matter. I just want the best sound I can get. Anybody have any opinions on the Diamond Audio speakers? They sound like the have potential, but I can't really tell with the way my setup sounds right now.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I've heard of them....if money isn't an issue, then here is a list of components I've seen in other competition vehicles. DynaAudio, Alumapro, IDQ, Treo, MB Quarts, Rainbow, DLS Focal, Digital Design, Dayton. I'm running Zapco speakers and they are excellent!! Pretty new though, so I haven't seen any independant reviews.

Here's a link to my install. Sense then, I have upgraded the center channel using a dc360.4, a zapco cm 8.100 4'' midbass, and a zapco km 8.50 2'' midrange. It really completed the package.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145700
Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Cool IT'S great that you want to ditch some of the factory crap.

Originally Posted by FattyB
Well, I probably just opened up a forum for a whole lot of arguing, but oh well. I would like to here everyone’s opinion. So here it is, I am trying to put together my dream system for my 05 TL, but I have been out of car audio since about 1990 and the manufactures that used to be good then, pretty much suck now, so I need your help. We will start with what I have in the car right now. I will say I am unhappy with the way things sound right now, and I want to change everything out, with the exception of the speakers, which I think will work great. The Diamond Audio, and Kicker sub, I think have the potential if the rest of the system is upgraded.

Current system
Stock head unit followed by an Audio Control LC6
Bypassed the stock amp (from what I have read, this was the first mistake)
S600a Diamond Audio 6.5 components (front)
D361I Diamond Audio 6.5" Coax (rear)
XTS3.5 Soundstream 3.5" Coax (center) (fits beautifully, I just elongated the mounting holes on the speaker. I highly recommend) As a matter of fact I have an extra one if anyone wants to buy it.
S10L7 Kicker 10" (sub)
Phoenix Gold R9.0:5 5 Channel Amp Front (Bridged 2 channels for front, 1 for
sub)
Phoenix Gold R5.0:4 5 Channel Amp (Bridged 2 channels for rear, 1 for
center)

Head Units?
Eclipse AVN7000 Head Unit, DCU105 5.1 Processor, and the IPC-106 I-pod interface.
Alpine IVA-W200 Head Unit, PXA-701 5.1 Processor, and the RUX-C701 Controller

I have been looking into the above head units and I am leaning towards the Eclipse, but I would be willing to pay up to $2000 for another unit that might sound better than these. My only requirements are 5.1 channels and a sound processor of some kind (equalizer, time delay…), a way to hookup my I-Pod even if it is through some RCA’s (I prefer a direct connect, but scrolling through the folders better be quick, none of this takes 5 minutes to get from A-Z) Navi would be nice, but not required. I would be willing to have a better sounding unit that did not come with Navi, then to sacrifice sound quality with Navi. Any thoughts on some other units?

Amps?
I do not even know where to start here. I have an old amp that would work for the center channel, so all I would need is 2 other amps, one 4 channel and one sub amp.
80w x1, 150w x 4, and 600w x1

Anything else you can add to the discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Ok first I have a 07 TL TYPE-S 6 SP Manual w/nav

I've kept the head unit with the nav and all had the nav upgraded to also play DVD'S & Games Via a play station .

But I got rid of all the fatory speakers and with all JL Audio here is the list of speakers and amps I put in my car I hope you like what you see.

Bro just like the other member said what brand you go with is most parts a personel likeing of a produt. I went with JL Audio Speakers with Rockford Amps from what I been seeing at car shows that when in their sound class.

I am pushing well over 3500 watts in my car and oh with alot of dynomat a must to add to your dream systeam.

Ok here is my list of goodies Bro

2 JL 13 W-7
1 Rockford 2000bd amp for subs

2 pairs of JL ZR 6 1/2'S for the doors

2 Rockford 400.2 mid & high amps

wire kit for all the stuff

complet trunk dynomat kit with custom leather to make it look classy

alots of blue neon lights for the trunk area

I am forgetting something but I cant remember what it is if I remember what it was I will let you know .

as of this message I am thinking about adding a bigger altenator 200+ should help reason being with this much Juice I am pushing My battery dose not last that long if I am lucky 45 mins so to have this work I need to either add more batteries or go to a bigger altenat

or.(sorry mis spelled)

I hope this help some for you bro if you need more help there are many of us that will do our best to help you out.

Chongbo

P.S. for your info going all JL Audio speakers sounds great but you will spend some money for them for example just the subs by themself cost 850.00 each and the ZR'S Cost 650.00 each amps costs 1200 for the big amp and the smaller two cost 300.00 each and the dynomat for the doors,floor headliner,trunk, cost 1500 so as you can tell it was not cheap going this way buy with 5 shows already under my blet in my area and 2 nopi shows I placed in the top 3 in all the shows except for 1 not bad I think.

hey if anyone could tell me a good camra to buy so I could post photos of my car could you get back with me I am looking for 10pix or larger

thanks
chongbo
Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chongbo

I've kept the head unit with the nav and all had the nav upgraded to also play DVD'S & Games Via a play station .

But I got rid of all the fatory speakers and with all JL Audio here is the list of speakers and amps I put in my car I hope you like what you see.

Bro just like the other member said what brand you go with is most parts a personel likeing of a produt. I went with JL Audio Speakers with Rockford Amps from what I been seeing at car shows that when in their sound class.

I am pushing well over 3500 watts in my car and oh with alot of dynomat a must to add to your dream systeam.

2 JL 13 W-7

I am forgetting something but I cant remember what it is if I remember what it was I will let you know .

as of this message I am thinking about adding a bigger altenator 200+ should help reason being with this much Juice I am pushing My battery dose not last that long if I am lucky 45 mins so to have this work I need to either add more batteries or go to a bigger altenat

or.(sorry mis spelled)

I hope this help some for you bro if you need more help there are many of us that will do our best to help you out.

Chongbo

P.S. for your info going all JL Audio speakers sounds great but you will spend some money for them for example just the subs by themself cost 850.00 each and the ZR'S Cost 650.00 each amps costs 1200 for the big amp and the smaller two cost 300.00 each and the dynomat for the doors,floor headliner,trunk, cost 1500 so as you can tell it was not cheap going this way buy with 5 shows already under my blet in my area and 2 nopi shows I placed in the top 3 in all the shows except for 1 not bad I think.

hey if anyone could tell me a good camra to buy so I could post photos of my car could you get back with me I am looking for 10pix or larger

thanks
chongbo
Did you try doing the big 3 upgrade? It may not completely solve your problem but it will help. Also when you say the battery doesn't last more than 45 minutes are you playing the system with the car off?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

No I had not tried out the big 3 upgrade & yes the...

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Did you try doing the big 3 upgrade? It may not completely solve your problem but it will help. Also when you say the battery doesn't last more than 45 minutes are you playing the system with the car off?

No I did not yet try the big 3 yet fill me in more on what this can do to help me out and yes I have the engine off when It only last for about 45 mins on the battery?

chongbo
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Big 3 is good b/c of the amount of draw your putting on you car... its good to beef up the wimpy stock wires w/ to at least 4 gauge wire. You would need a second battery if your looking for key off playing time. For audio help I always go to diymobileaudio.com, those guys have a boatload of knowledge are very helpful, check it out when u get a chance.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueAc
Big 3 is good b/c of the amount of draw your putting on you car... its good to beef up the wimpy stock wires w/ to at least 4 gauge wire. You would need a second battery if your looking for key off playing time. For audio help I always go to diymobileaudio.com, those guys have a boatload of knowledge are very helpful, check it out when u get a chance.
Those power cables from the Starter and Alt are 4 gauge already in our car... I went to upgrade them and noticed it... so I left them alone... the ground from the battery is also a decent size and it's just like 4 inches...

I don't think the Big 3 is really necessary... what he does need is probably an extra battery in the rear...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow...I clicked on this thread to get some tips for upgrading my system, but everything here is competition standard components (and money!). I just wanted to get a nicer, cleaner sound from my system with more oomph. Guess I should've paid attention to the dream system sign on the door fellas! But great systems!

Oh yeah, Chongbo - Get the Nikon D80. People may tell you to get a higher end camera, but really, if you're not a pro - the D80 is all you need. It's not point and shoot by any means, but you can point and shoot and get excellent pics. The real experience comes from playing with it! Then get lens from there!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chongbo

2 JL 13 W-7

or.(sorry mis spelled)

Chongbo

thanks
chongbo
Dpends on how much you want to spend. My wife just got a SLR from Dell for $800 lens included.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14256

Here's a link to a website that will give you all the info you'd ever want on different types of cameras
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html