Need help making DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Need help making DVD-A

Hey guys,
So i've been trying to make a new dvd-a for my 3g tl, but i'm having some issues.
First off is I can't use adobeman's GUI on windows 7 64bit. for some reason it just keeps crashing. I found a copy of circlina dvd-a solo. It works pretty well but keeps crashing. I found some ways to give this program administrator functions, and such. I spent 3 hours tinkering with this program and now am able to burn a dvd-a, but my TL stil wont play it. Says DISK on the screen and spits the dvd out. What am i doing wrong? I've made dvd-a's before and never had a problem till i switched os's on my computer.

does anyone know how to set this program up correctly? These are the settings i have so far:
sampling rate 44 khz
bits 16
channels 2
run time 3:44
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced

anyone? 30 views but no responses lol...ok so i got adobeman gui to work on my laptop, but now i need to convert half of the mp3's from 48000khz to 44000...any ideas? I had a program to do this a long time ago i just don't remember what it was called...
Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have windows 7 with the new Nero and it burned it well, but i was using Blue bottom CDs... A friend gave gave me some clear bottom ones and it played

If the DVDs are the same as before, did you ensure the disk was finalized?
The following users liked this post:
NJAcura2004 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by giggity
I have windows 7 with the new Nero and it burned it well, but i was using Blue bottom CDs... A friend gave gave me some clear bottom ones and it played

If the DVDs are the same as before, did you ensure the disk was finalized?
I'm pretty sure everything is set where I need it to be. So I was able to get adobeman's GUI to run on my laptop(win 7). And I had to convert some files so they were the proper format. I used Format Factory, free and easy to use. Most of the songs were at 48000 hz and they need to be at 44100 hz.
So I did all of that and now it actually creates the ISO image for me...but when I go to the directory program fles(x86)/adobeman's dvda gui/images....the ISO file is not there...I'm still looking around for it IDK maybe it's stuck in the temp files....
So that's where I'm stuck at now...Have the ISO image made but can't find it..
Old 04-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Ok I found the ISO image it was being hidden by stupid windows...gonna try to burn it
Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I use windows 7/64 and it works fine for me.

...my computer is a beast though lol. But seriously, if it's crashing then something else is wrong
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I use windows 7/64 and it works fine for me.

...my computer is a beast though lol. But seriously, if it's crashing then something else is wrong

got it to stop crashing....

i burned it and still get DISK error message on my radio...gonna try burning it at 4x speed...it was on max speed idk if that matters...i'm making the discs exactly as i can remember i made them 3 years ago..

and the ISO is in FLAC format..should I change the format?

Last edited by NJAcura2004; 04-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced

[quote=Trunk Monkey;13719803]I use windows 7/64 and it works fine for me.

monkey,
Any tips? I burned the image at 4x speed and it still says DISK error and ejects.. I noticed that it says Disk instead of DVDA when reading...I think maybe my ISO isnt formatted properly.

also im trying other recorders..trying windows imgae burn then maybe ill download since nero isnt working

Last edited by NJAcura2004; 04-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I think the formatting should be in WAV, not FLAC. I use FreeMusicConverter to convert all my FLAC files to WAV/41000hz so they go on the program with no hassle. It's a really easy and nice free program.

You should be able to burn it directly from the GUI...
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced

I think the formatting should be in WAV, not FLAC. I use FreeMusicConverter to convert all my FLAC files to WAV/41000hz so they go on the program with no hassle. It's a really easy and nice free program.

am I missing a step bc all adobe lets me do is create the ISO not burn it..I think this might be the mistake i'
m waiting for a new batch of file conversions to finish..
i changed the bit rate from default to 32 kb/sec for my second try.
and thanks ill try WAV.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced

so how do I burn it from adobeman's gui? it says making iso after in converts and sets up the iso...but it just writes it to an iso file in the directory that i have to use nero or windows to burn and i guess they're not burning it the way my TL wants to read it lol. Ive tried 4 different formats and im waiting for the wav iso to build so i can try that

any help you can give for actually burning the disk through the gui would be helpful
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Wait. You're right. GUI makes the ISO and I burn it with IMGBurn

I'll try it out right now and maybe make a simple walk through. I don't have any audio in my car right now so I can't tell if it's working...I guess if it starts to read the disc then it worked.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced

I'll try it out right now and maybe make a simple walk through. I don't have any audio in my car right now so I can't tell if it's working...I guess if it starts to read the disc then it worked.
ok thanks that would be great! I definitly think it's the way the disc is getting burnt. I've made 6 different disks so far and they all say "Disk DISK" when i pop in in the radio. My other ones that I made a long time ago immediately read "DVD-A" on the screen

I'm also going to download IMGBurn..I've been using Nero 10 ultra and windows image burn with no success

Last edited by NJAcura2004; 04-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced

no luck with IMGBurn..same DISK message..gonna try making an ISO without reformatting the files
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Are they 44100hz WAV files?? Just add the files to the GUI from your computer hard drive and it will make an ISO. Find that ISO in the Adobeman files on your hard-drive. Open IMG-Burn and use the "write image to disk". Open the ISO you made and burn it. That's all I did.

Sounds like your files aren't formatted in WAV/44100hz
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Are they 44100hz WAV files?? Just add the files to the GUI from your computer hard drive and it will make an ISO. Find that ISO in the Adobeman files on your hard-drive. Open IMG-Burn and use the "write image to disk". Open the ISO you made and burn it. That's all I did.

Sounds like your files aren't formatted in WAV/44100hz
some of them were 48000 but adobe told me to convert them or delete. so i converted all of them to 44100 wav and then put them back into adobe. after making the Iso i used image burn and still does not play. keeps saying DISC DISC on my tl's radio screen. I don't know what's going on but i don't think it's seeing the disc as a dvd-a it thinks its an unfomatted or unsupported disc type

When I convert them what should the bit rate be set at? I have the choice of default, 32, 64 and so on unitl 320

Last edited by NJAcura2004; 04-21-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I use 320, WAV, 41000hz
NJAcura2004 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced

I use 320, WAV, 41000hz
Last night my friend gave me a few blank dvd-r discs she had laying around. I burned the ISO exactly as we have gone over and it worked! Reads all 99 songs and doesn't click or skip. And the only difference is that I used memorex dvd-r and she gave me panasonic..I think I'll have to double check once the rain dies down. We're getting hit with a nor-easter mini-hurricane type storm.
So Anyway I'll try to make a couple more after The weather clears up and I can go buy different dvd-r discs. I have heard that certain manufacture discs won't read in the TL. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yeah I've had a few issues with some disc manuf. Glad it works now
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having an issue when I try to create the iso image using the script. It will begin the first pass, and get stuck on a particular song and will not respond. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Then that file is likely corrupted or incorrect for the GUI.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced

So I successfully created a DVD-A disc that plays in my TL using the Cirlinca software. Question is, do i still have to convert the mp3/wma/m4a files to wav files or does the software do that automatically??
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Seatown1two
I'm having an issue when I try to create the iso image using the script. It will begin the first pass, and get stuck on a particular song and will not respond. Anyone else have this issue?

Whenever it gets stuck and freezes on a song, remove that song or you could try to convert that song to the right format.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I used Adobeman's GUI last night; added all the songs to folder one and ran it. It converted all my MP3's to WAV files and then created an ISO file.

I right clicked the created ISO file, saw an option to burn the disk, did that, disk works great in the car.

Now to make 5 more!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Renescent
I used Adobeman's GUI last night; added all the songs to folder one and ran it. It converted all my MP3's to WAV files and then created an ISO file.

I right clicked the created ISO file, saw an option to burn the disk, did that, disk works great in the car.

Now to make 5 more!
Unless your original information was lossless, you're still listening to a mp3. Can't restore lost information. Just in case you didn't know and wanted WAV/FLAC. Some say you can't tell....but I definitely can.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Can u make these dvd-a same like mp3 like put music in folders??
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

Im using circlenca trying 2 put my music in folders by albums can n e 1 help??
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless your original information was lossless, you're still listening to a mp3. Can't restore lost information. Just in case you didn't know and wanted WAV/FLAC. Some say you can't tell....but I definitely can.

Yeah, I know but my hearing is pretty shot from ear infections as a kid and time in the military... I was just happy to get the disk to play in the car. 6 disks, 85 songs a disk + my iPhone for podcasts and more songs? I'm thrilled.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Is dvd-a sound quality better??? Just wondering......
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by phlames
That doesn't lend itself to a simple answer.

A DVD-A you buy in the store or (more likely) order online from a place like Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct will most likely sound better than a CD of the same material because the DVD-A is capable of playing back higher-resolution material.

A DVD-A you burn yourself won't necessarily sound better than a CD because the sound quality will only be as good as the material you burn to the disc. If you're using the lossy-compressed .MP3 files that are inexplicably popular these days, then your DVD-A will not sound any better than those .MP3s. If you're using .WAV files you ripped from a CD or recorded yourself, the DVD-A will sound the same as the .WAVs. You can create a DVD-A directly from .FLAC if you have the right software (Cirlinca's software can do it; that's what I use). In all these cases, of course, it won't sound any better or any worse than the original files you use to create the DVD-A.

You can burn high-rez material to a DVD-A if you have it. I've purchased some 24-bit/88.2-kHz .FLAC copies of Rolling Stones albums from HDTracks.com and then burned the .FLAC files directly to DVD-A. In those cases the DVD-A blows away the CD versions of the same material. (I usually play the .FLACs at home via a Logitech Squeezebox Touch.)

I guess a good way to think of it is a comment I saw once about how back when CDs first hit the market in the 1980s, a lot of people were misled into thinking they're inherently superior to LPs (because the people who believed that typically had cheap turntables) and the same people then somehow assumed that anything on CD had to be good. Obviously, that's not true: Bad music is still bad music, no matter the format. Poorly-recorded music isn't going to start sounding great just because you put it on a DVD-Audio.

I view the ability to burn my own DVD-A discs as being primarily a matter of convenience: A DVD has about 7 times the data capacity of a CD, so if you burn CD-quality audio to a DVD-A, you can in theory fit around seven CDs on a single DVD-A (depending, of course, on the amount of material on the CD). So consolidating some CDs onto DVD-A for use in the TL is a way to take a lot more music on a lot fewer discs. It won't sound better nor worse than the CDs, but it will take up a lot less space in the glovebox or the little shelf underneath the stereo. (I store the DVD-As in CD/DVD sleeves I buy at Staples. They protect the discs and they take up way less space than jewel boxes.)
phlames (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Renescent
Yeah, I know but my hearing is pretty shot from ear infections as a kid and time in the military... I was just happy to get the disk to play in the car. 6 disks, 85 songs a disk + my iPhone for podcasts and more songs? I'm thrilled.
Haha I hear ya on that

I think of it as 6 DVD-A's at 4GB of material each equals roughly 24GB of data. GOOD STUFF! And the fact that the data can be lossless is just lovely..

Originally Posted by phlames
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
That doesn't lend itself to a simple answer.

A DVD-A you buy in the store or (more likely) order online from a place like Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct will most likely sound better than a CD of the same material because the DVD-A is capable of playing back higher-resolution material.

A DVD-A you burn yourself won't necessarily sound better than a CD because the sound quality will only be as good as the material you burn to the disc. If you're using the lossy-compressed .MP3 files that are inexplicably popular these days, then your DVD-A will not sound any better than those .MP3s. If you're using .WAV files you ripped from a CD or recorded yourself, the DVD-A will sound the same as the .WAVs. You can create a DVD-A directly from .FLAC if you have the right software (Cirlinca's software can do it; that's what I use). In all these cases, of course, it won't sound any better or any worse than the original files you use to create the DVD-A.

You can burn high-rez material to a DVD-A if you have it. I've purchased some 24-bit/88.2-kHz .FLAC copies of Rolling Stones albums from HDTracks.com and then burned the .FLAC files directly to DVD-A. In those cases the DVD-A blows away the CD versions of the same material. (I usually play the .FLACs at home via a Logitech Squeezebox Touch.)

I guess a good way to think of it is a comment I saw once about how back when CDs first hit the market in the 1980s, a lot of people were misled into thinking they're inherently superior to LPs (because the people who believed that typically had cheap turntables) and the same people then somehow assumed that anything on CD had to be good. Obviously, that's not true: Bad music is still bad music, no matter the format. Poorly-recorded music isn't going to start sounding great just because you put it on a DVD-Audio.

I view the ability to burn my own DVD-A discs as being primarily a matter of convenience: A DVD has about 7 times the data capacity of a CD, so if you burn CD-quality audio to a DVD-A, you can in theory fit around seven CDs on a single DVD-A (depending, of course, on the amount of material on the CD). So consolidating some CDs onto DVD-A for use in the TL is a way to take a lot more music on a lot fewer discs. It won't sound better nor worse than the CDs, but it will take up a lot less space in the glovebox or the little shelf underneath the stereo. (I store the DVD-As in CD/DVD sleeves I buy at Staples. They protect the discs and they take up way less space than jewel boxes.)

Well said! Good idea on the sleeves too. I wonder if they fit in the top little cubby hole thing below the EXTREMELY random tape player lol.

I, in a completely legal way, get all my music in FLAC format as it's easy to find usually. Then I use FreeMusicConverter to get FLAC-->WAV/41000hz.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Been meaning to follow up on my comments above about the CD/DVD sleeves I use. Here are two pictures I took this weekend while stopped at a red light. The first is just to give a sense of what the sleeves look like. Each one can hold two CDs or DVDs, one on each side. I get them at Staples in the same aisle where they keep the blank media. (BTW, as I mentioned elsewhere, I use the LightScribe drive to burn the label onto the DVD. Helps a lot with keeping track of what's on all those discs.)

Second picture gives a sense of how they fit in the car. I have 18 CDs/DVDs in that set of sleeves in there (and one or two of the sleeves have only one disc in them) and there seems to be room for another two or three sleeves. Sure saves a lot of room over the jewel boxes, ESPECIALLY the DVD-A jewel boxes since those are a different size and shape for some annoying reason.