Navigation Conversion Help:

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Navigation Conversion Help:

I have completed the Non-Navi to Navi conversion for my 2005 TL. Everything went well and the display works great. I picked up the navigation display, DVD-rom drive, all wiring harnesses and the disc from ebay. Pretty good deal too. It took me about four hours to seperate out the required navigation wiring and get eberything neat for installation. The installation took about 8 hours to perform. The longest part was getting the single grey wire up to the connector on the steering column for the navigation Hands Free Link switch on the steering wheel. If you have the time and can get the parts, this may be a good weekend project. The only reason I performed this was it was difficult to locate a TL with 6-speed with Nav in Minnesota. I do have one problem.

My navigation functions perfectly, except that the voice guidance can not be heard. The front stereo speakers are muted during the time when the voice guidance should be heard. The other thing is that when I go into the diagnostic mode, all modules (including the stereo) are green and the test ding ding tone can be heard in the dash center speaker. I have performed a continuity test of all the associated wiring and they test intact (from pin to pin).

The other issue is that the Hands Free Link for the navigation does not except commands. When I press the navigation HFL voice button the stereo is muted, I speak my command, and nothing. The radio then turns back on after about 10 seconds or so. The back button on the navigation HFL works and the HFL for the phone works fine. The HFL for the phone excepts voice commands. I performed a diagnostic (pressing and holding the HFL back button) and the diagnostic says it is OK. I performed a continuity check of the 5 wires from the navigation DVD-rom to the HFL roof module and the wiring tested intact (pin to pin).

The navigation volume control on the navigation set-up screen is at max. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be is most welcome.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you install the mic? it is in the overhead where the sunroof controls are
Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

Mic Reply:

The Mic was already there as I had the HFL for the bluetooth phone. The HFL for the phone side of things works without any problems, just as it did prior to the installation. I can also go into the Nav diagnostic mode and press the Nav Talk Button and see it register my voice on a bar scale and the Nav Talk and Back turn green when activated.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by senewman1
The Mic was already there as I had the HFL for the bluetooth phone. The HFL for the phone side of things works without any problems, just as it did prior to the installation. I can also go into the Nav diagnostic mode and press the Nav Talk Button and see it register my voice on a bar scale and the Nav Talk and Back turn green when activated.

is it wired to wherever it's suposed to go for the Navi? i'm guessing that would be the DVD unit
Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Mic Reply

The mic goes to the HFL module and then there is 5-wires that communicate between the HFL and the Nav DVD-rom unit in the trunk. I may have a problem with the HFL unit, but wanted to post out here to ensure that I didn't miss anything. But I got everything right as I verified pin to pin.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Problem fixed:

Well today I figured out the reason for the no navigation voice guidance and why the Navigation voice commands did not function. It was the radio unit. But I swapped it out my original radio unit and now everything functions correctly. Thanks for any posts to help me with this issue.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but from where did you get the display. I am looking for one and acura said it cost 2.1K
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Display Finding:

Watch ebay my friend. Do a search for Acura TL Navigation and there is always one or more for sale.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by senewman1
Watch ebay my friend. Do a search for Acura TL Navigation and there is always one or more for sale.
already got one, but thanks for the advice.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

Navigation Conversion Update:

My conversion is doing well. I actually had my display unit fail, but took it to the dealer and "BAM" got a new one. I was even offered a loaner for the week my car was there waiting for the part. I was very detailed on my installation so much that the dealer could not even tell the difference themselves. I think my conversion was another success story and to tell all those who say not to do it may be mistaken. The cost of my conversion which included the purchase of the dvd-rom unit, display unit, radio unit, and all associated wiring was less than the loss of trading it in for a new vehicle. I enjoy my car and the navigation upgrade is just another plus. Plus finding a 6-speed with navigation may be a difficult venture, especially here in Minnesota.

So I will say that those who say that is easier to trade it in are just those who have not ever done it.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like you got a good deal... bought a used nav screen and ended up getting a brand new one from the dealer. congrats! =)
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

senewman1
I am about to tackle the same upgrade on my 06 TL. What disc version are you running? I've seen 3.2 and 3.5 orange? I am having trouble locating a used climate control screen. Did you buy it from the dealer or find it on Ebay? Best Regards...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by agmaustin
senewman1
I am about to tackle the same upgrade on my 06 TL. What disc version are you running? I've seen 3.2 and 3.5 orange? I am having trouble locating a used climate control screen. Did you buy it from the dealer or find it on Ebay? Best Regards...
I have... removed

edit by datmrman:
Please conduct all sales in the Private Sales & Trades forum. You can shoot him a PM when you have posted your item.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I have aspare one that i can let go, but it has 3 nicks in it, but it doesn't affect the screens usability. I can let it go pretty cheap like 100 bucks + shipping. Normally a new one from acura cost 2.3K
Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
7th Gear

hello all, i just picked up an 04 w/o nav....im just curious if i get the screen with the dvd rom itself will i be able to watch dvd's and all the functions except the navigation part? in other words i want to swap but dont care for navigation..
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thread revival. can anyone tell me if the dvd drive on acuras are compatible with other cars navi system? my 2004 tsx dvd drive burnt out and i want to replace it with the 2006 dvd drive from another tsx. is this just a simple hot swap?

my 2004 tsx has the navi, i just need to replace the dvd drive. and i want to use the newest drive to have updated functions, instead of just replacing it with another 2004 drive.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

I have... removed

edit by datmrman:
Please conduct all sales in the Private Sales & Trades forum. You can shoot him a PM when you have posted your item.
Why remove this guys question? He is not trying to contuct a sale here!!!! He simply wants to know what version of DVD to use and where to purchase. I did a complete NAV update on my TL and received valuable info from people experiencing the same issues but without any help from these idiot admins who feel a need to police this site.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Why remove this guys question? He is not trying to contuct a sale here!!!! He simply wants to know what version of DVD to use and where to purchase. I did a complete NAV update on my TL and received valuable info from people experiencing the same issues but without any help from these idiot admins who feel a need to police this site.

what was his question? i need some help here cause my navi dvd drive broke and not covered by warranty. looking to replace my 2004 drive with a 2006 drive, but would need to get the new disc. also need info on upgrading the bluetooth and xm hardware to the 2006 dvd drive.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
what was his question? i need some help here cause my navi dvd drive broke and not covered by warranty. looking to replace my 2004 drive with a 2006 drive, but would need to get the new disc. also need info on upgrading the bluetooth and xm hardware to the 2006 dvd drive.
To my knowledge, the XM equipment changed in 2007, the 2004-2006 disk drives should be identical, as well the 2006 drive uses teh 3.xx disks so your 04 one would work. What happened to your drive that it is "broken"? agmaustin, in all honesty, i don't even remember what I posted, but datmrman is conducting his duties of keeping the forum clean and i have no objection with that, though I wonder what i posted originally. Datmrman, can you pull that up for me?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

my drive just burnt out for no reason. and the dealer charging me 4000 dollars just for the replacement part, no labor. actually the 04-05 drives are the same, and the 06 is different. my old disk doesnt work in the 06 drive. the xm wont work because it goes to the HU, which is different in the 06 than the 04. i am adding the bluetooth from the 06 into my 04.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
my drive just burnt out for no reason. and the dealer charging me 4000 dollars just for the replacement part, no labor. actually the 04-05 drives are the same, and the 06 is different. my old disk doesnt work in the 06 drive. the xm wont work because it goes to the HU, which is different in the 06 than the 04. i am adding the bluetooth from the 06 into my 04.
darn, forgot you had a TSX, the 06 tsx may be using the 4.xx disk. As for XM, you most likely will have to swap the radio of figure out a way to get it working. In all honesty, i would just get the 04-05 parts and call it a day as running wires ans switching radios will cost some $$. check out ebay for the tsx drive.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

well i'm going with the 06 dvd drive as it works fine with the 04 hardware. i'm gonna go with disv v4.31 and hopefully get it for cheap. anyone selling theirs?

yeah i aint gonna swap out the radio. i'll pop in the drive and add the bluetooth, and be done with it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow.

agmaustin, in all honesty, i don't even remember what I posted, but datmrman is conducting his duties of keeping the forum clean and i have no objection with that, though I wonder what i posted originally. Datmrman, can you pull that up for me?
csmeance, you were trying to sell some spare parts, thus I edited your post and asked that you continue the sale in BM.