NAVI, is a waste of money!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 09:33 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Break Granted.....lol

BTW...I use my NAVI all the time. I think it often times becomes a function of if you often times travel out of areas you are familiar with and also if time is of the essence is some cases. (an apt to make or something) If you just stay around home all the time or right in your own "envelope" ... Navi is probably more of a toy than anything.
Old 06-23-2006 | 05:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
MBenz, the last response was posted 3 months ago, not too old that it was a "holy thread bump" give the guy a break

All of you just need to take a minute and breath, relax... feel better?
Obvisously some folks here have an issue beyond ownership of NAVI or NOT. Also I see there is still a need for people to express their opinion/thoughts concerning NAVI in their TL's - why try to shut that off. BTW navigation units have begun to reach a critical mass in the after market retail arena. It's here! Learn to live with it. I also get a chuckle with people who buy these cars and then spout about moding them and driving around their neighborhood because they don't wanna run-up the miles on their cars. I'm not sure I need a $35,000 automobile to truck down to McDonald's drive through for a burger with my girl friend supposedly drooling all over the seats because the dude installed a DVD player in his ride. Give me a break here . . . That technology is more for Mommies and Daddies to keep the kids occupied in the rear seats while they tool to Disneyland. Just because you CAN doen't mean you SHOULD! LOL

NEXT . . .
Old 06-23-2006 | 06:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
Obvisously some folks here have an issue beyond ownership of NAVI or NOT. Also I see there is still a need for people to express their opinion/thoughts concerning NAVI in their TL's - why try to shut that off. BTW navigation units have begun to reach a critical mass in the after market retail arena. It's here! Learn to live with it. I also get a chuckle with people who buy these cars and then spout about moding them and driving around their neighborhood because they don't wanna run-up the miles on their cars. I'm not sure I need a $35,000 automobile to truck down to McDonald's drive through for a burger with my girl friend supposedly drooling all over the seats because the dude installed a DVD player in his ride. Give me a break here . . . That technology is more for Mommies and Daddies to keep the kids occupied in the rear seats while they tool to Disneyland. Just because you CAN doen't mean you SHOULD! LOL

NEXT . . .
YOu are correct! If you don't travel further than the local McDonalds - you don't need the Navi! Period! Unless of course you just think it's pretty! I travel and my work requires me to find locations all over Connecticut! I would be poking around in a map guide book whilst drive in strange neighborhoods looking for some out of the way house location! Navi - takes me there without a worry!! Also when we travel across country to Wisconsin - we can stop at every (convenient) Costco for the cheapest gas in that area! Navi allows that for us! So to say Navi is useless is a local opinion! That's why it's an option! But hey your comments have nothing to do with Navi anyway . . . They are just provocative - and get you a lot of response! TL without Navi is just another Honda in my opinion!

PS . . . WTF is a "peep"?? It's a yellow sugar coated marshmellow that shows up every year before Easter and we "eat'em"!! You calling everyone here a sugar coated Marshmellow??? Quit using 'trendy' street talk for addressing fellow human beings . . .!!! Period!!!
Doing a bit of this yourself now arent you? (provocating response) I guess whats good for the goose huh?
Old 06-23-2006 | 07:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by boltjames
The navi helps me get laid. Every prostitute that I pick up goes "wow....that's really cool" before they put the latex in the mouth.
LOL your a damn fool!

I think this thread started by a hater. I'm a NON-NAVI owner, but c'mon man, if you had a choice at the same price you paid you would NOT get the NAVI? For the money, I think its not worth it, I'll agree with you on that. But if you can afford it and intend on utilizing it occasionally its a neat thing to have. I got a deal when I bought my TL, and later on bought a Magellen 300 NAVI for $400-. The good thing is that I can move it from vehicle to vehicle, but its a pain in the ass to store/hide from the theives. Different strokes for different folks, not everyone can afford to fork over the cash, but those who do and add mods do so for their and our added pleasure!
Old 06-23-2006 | 09:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by dero79
LOL your a damn fool!

I think this thread started by a hater. I'm a NON-NAVI owner, but c'mon man, if you had a choice at the same price you paid you would NOT get the NAVI? For the money, I think its not worth it, I'll agree with you on that. But if you can afford it and intend on utilizing it occasionally its a neat thing to have. I got a deal when I bought my TL, and later on bought a Magellen 300 NAVI for $400-. The good thing is that I can move it from vehicle to vehicle, but its a pain in the ass to store/hide from the theives. Different strokes for different folks, not everyone can afford to fork over the cash, but those who do and add mods do so for their and our added pleasure!
Well stated. Your right too...they were really dealing on the Non-Navi units what I was buying too! I just had it set in my mind that it was something that I needed as I was so hesitant of driving into large cities and "mapping it from paper". I am terrible with directions/maps so this really makes it easy. But ya...I know what you mean....they were really trying to incent me to buy a Non-Navi unit too.
Old 06-23-2006 | 09:54 AM
Advanced

I bought mine from a NON-Acura dealership via internet special. I've seen the Acura NAVIs when I had a TSX as a loaner and don't feel bad that I did'nt get the TL with NAVI. Maybe it was'nt set up, but the one I was driving does'nt give you a verbal indication of an upcoming action. The ZAGAT and other neat options are cool but then again I enjoy seeing my XM and A/C readings on the big panel too. I guess once you have either of the two you become accustomed to a certain layout. Another thing I know for sure was that I did'nt care for the directional aspect of the Acura NAVI. The North is always to the top of the screen, which as silly as it may sound to you to me was a bit confusing at times.
Old 06-23-2006 | 09:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Well stated. Your right too...they were really dealing on the Non-Navi units what I was buying too! I just had it set in my mind that it was something that I needed as I was so hesitant of driving into large cities and "mapping it from paper". I am terrible with directions/maps so this really makes it easy. But ya...I know what you mean....they were really trying to incent me to buy a Non-Navi unit too.
Back when I bought mine, Navi units were generally in short supply. So all the dealers tried to get rid of all the non-Navi units their lots were overflowing with.
Old 06-23-2006 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

I know for sure was that I did'nt care for the directional aspect of the Acura NAVI. The North is always to the top of the screen, which as silly as it may sound to you to me was a bit confusing at times.
That can actually be changed by pressing the directional arrow, it will change from North up to Car up.
Old 06-23-2006 | 02:24 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Toronto-TL
That can actually be changed by pressing the directional arrow, it will change from North up to Car up.
Funny you mention that...I just figured that out about a month ago! lol
Old 06-24-2006 | 09:07 AM
Instructor

I bought mine from a NON-Acura dealership via internet special. I've seen the Acura NAVIs when I had a TSX as a loaner and don't feel bad that I did'nt get the TL with NAVI. Maybe it was'nt set up, but the one I was driving does'nt give you a verbal indication of an upcoming action. The ZAGAT and other neat options are cool but then again I enjoy seeing my XM and A/C readings on the big panel too. I guess once you have either of the two you become accustomed to a certain layout. Another thing I know for sure was that I did'nt care for the directional aspect of the Acura NAVI. The North is always to the top of the screen, which as silly as it may sound to you to me was a bit confusing at times.
Hey guys they come with a neat little 'get started' reference manual for the NAVI. It doesn't hurt to actually peruse it for information, rather than acidentally discovering a feature a year later by accident. Sheesh!! I'm always astounded by Americans non starter attitude about reading manuals. My sister purchased a Honda Pilot with lots of goodies. When I visited recently I pulled out her manual pouch from the glove box and what I found was it was actually fused shut from I assume the car having heated up during the summer months (Raleigh NC). She had NEVER even opened the pouch (plastic)! And had NO idea about most of the capability of her vehicle - 'cept starting, steering and stopping! Oh yes, she did find the gas port!

If you were blind it would be the thing you'd want MOST in the world, and you're sighted and don't even give a hoot!

MY "What is Wrong With People" rant . . . Cheers!
Old 06-24-2006 | 10:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Hey guys they come with a neat little 'get started' reference manual for the NAVI. It doesn't hurt to actually peruse it for information, rather than acidentally discovering a feature a year later by accident. Sheesh!! I'm always astounded by Americans non starter attitude about reading manuals. My sister purchased a Honda Pilot with lots of goodies. When I visited recently I pulled out her manual pouch from the glove box and what I found was it was actually fused shut from I assume the car having heated up during the summer months (Raleigh NC). She had NEVER even opened the pouch (plastic)! And had NO idea about most of the capability of her vehicle - 'cept starting, steering and stopping! Oh yes, she did find the gas port!

If you were blind it would be the thing you'd want MOST in the world, and you're sighted and don't even give a hoot!

You sound like my Dad Pappy! And your right too...lol. For some reason I find reading directions unamerican! lol! I like the art of discovery! But your right...not negating that at all!
Old 06-24-2006 | 11:52 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I want to study a vehicle that is loaned to me for a day. I don'nt know about you, but I try not to fall in love with loaners. Its kinda like a prositute. Your only business is getting some easy ass, not asking her life story and trying to get to know her..... but I guess you would ask her, huh?
Old 06-25-2006 | 07:38 AM
Instructor

Yeah, I want to study a vehicle that is loaned to me for a day. I don'nt know about you, but I try not to fall in love with loaners. Its kinda like a prositute. Your only business is getting some easy ass, not asking her life story and trying to get to know her..... but I guess you would ask her, huh?
Hmmmm don't know if I'd equate a loaner in quite the same way but I get yer point. My manual rant was primarily aimed at owners who are too lazy to open a manual to acquaint themselves with their new vehicle. Generally, I think the dealers are supposed to spend some time explaining the car but hey, that last about 15 seconds in memory. And if it's a used car . . .well then you're on yer own again.

No, you're excused my friend for the moment on loaners.

PS your comment about the prostitute I'm sure was 'only' for illumination of your point. And YOU would never personally objectify another human in the manner of simply using them for your personal pleasure and then casting them aside. But that's a whole 'nother rant . . .
Old 06-25-2006 | 07:50 AM
Instructor

I travel for work and I would be completly lost without a Nav of some type, I have a portable for when I fly and rent a car or the TL when I am traveling around where I am based, it may not be perfect but it is better than trying to use a map or getting directions from someone
Old 07-05-2006 | 06:36 PM
I love cars!

The difference here is that you came in criticizing the prostitute's performance without getting to know her.

You can't say, "Gee this car's NAVI SUCKS" if you didn't take five minutes to see how it works or what it can do other than the features you happened upon. That's simply unfair and not very smart. Do you comment on movies after leaving within the frist 15 minutes? That was the original point; you were speaking from a place of ignorance.
Old 07-07-2006 | 05:08 PM
Racer

I spent a 3 days in a TSX with Navi, it is quite nice to have when navigating new areas. In looking back, i dont think the Navi was right for me over my non-navi. Cant say that it does not come in handy quite often, but not worth the $$$ in my IMHO...
Old 07-07-2006 | 05:17 PM
Trucki!!

Its amazing how often I've seen this thread come back up.

I look at it this way: is it worth $15 a month knowing everywhere I'm going? Yes it is! That is the break down in costs of how much more the navi was compared to the non-navi sitting next to mine when I bought it.
Old 07-09-2006 | 07:15 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Base TL was 42k, G35 was 44k, TL navi was 45K. So for 1K more, I got Navi car.

Canada.
Old 07-09-2006 | 09:55 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by lembowski
Its amazing how often I've seen this thread come back up.

I look at it this way: is it worth $15 a month knowing everywhere I'm going? Yes it is! That is the break down in costs of how much more the navi was compared to the non-navi sitting next to mine when I bought it.
That's a good way of looking at it! Today I had to go pick up my Steely Dan tickets from a guy, in a Dallas neighborhood I've been to before, but I'd never been to his partticular intersection. With just an intersection or an address I'm there. If I get lost or detoured, no worries. My biggest complaint about Navi-haters is when they pretend to know EVERY street and address in a city the size of Dallas. It's crazy. Nor am I always starting out from home or work where I have Mapquest and a printer..
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:27 AM
bay area

This thread sucks! debating navi vs. non-navi..... what the heck! you guys are pathetic!
Old 07-11-2006 | 06:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by dong_cj
This thread sucks! debating navi vs. non-navi..... what the heck! you guys are pathetic!
You're right. This topic has been beat to death many times over.

Time to close it.
Old 07-12-2006 | 09:07 AM
8th Gear

navi is a good thing... the luxurious look... comes in handy for me, especially when i go out of state alot... only get navi if u planning to take the TL out of town or out of state...
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:31 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Love It, Love It, Love It!

I had it in my previous 04 Accord and I knew after that there was no way I was EVER buying a car without it again; it is so convenient. And not to mention that the cars, IMO, look so much better with the navi inside. To look at cars without them, just looks so bland anymore.....

It's all in personal preference, one would assume....
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by fast-tl
That's a good way of looking at it! Today I had to go pick up my Steely Dan tickets from a guy, in a Dallas neighborhood I've been to before, but I'd never been to his partticular intersection. With just an intersection or an address I'm there. If I get lost or detoured, no worries. My biggest complaint about Navi-haters is when they pretend to know EVERY street and address in a city the size of Dallas. It's crazy. Nor am I always starting out from home or work where I have Mapquest and a printer..

it kills me that you call people against it navi haters. why cant you just understand that some people can do with or without it. nobody is saying that its a bad tool. navi is freakin awesome.

there are times when I wish I had it, but shit dude, if you've lived in Dallas for any length of time and you still cant figure out where you're going you got problems. the only time I would really want navi is if Im on a business trip and i rent a car. thats when I would need it. other than that its just eye candy to me..
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:57 AM
The Boss

I have a Navi, I got it cuz the vehicle looks better with it. To be honest, I hardly use it, but those who realize you got an Acura TL will ask this question "It has a Navi right?" And you'll have to explain WHY you didn't get it. I got it and I hardly use the Navi, but I've used it about a dozen times in the last 2 years on business trips and vacation spots where I got so lost.

Navi also works guiding you to a party that I have never been to or don't know how to get it. It also work when you're on the freeway and sudden have a desire for say... "pop eyes, outback steak house."

TL is a luxury car and luxury car should have a Navi...
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
I have a Navi, I got it cuz the vehicle looks better with it. To be honest, I hardly use it, but those who realize you got an Acura TL will ask this question "It has a Navi right?" And you'll have to explain WHY you didn't get it.
Ive never had to explain to anyone why I dont have it. Ive hosted numerous meets and had shit loads of acuras in my driveway. Not once has anybody asked me if I have it and needed an explanation why I dont.

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
I got it and I hardly use the Navi

my point exactly
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:27 PM
Advanced

Talking

The difference here is that you came in criticizing the prostitute's performance without getting to know her.

You can't say, "Gee this car's NAVI SUCKS" if you didn't take five minutes to see how it works or what it can do other than the features you happened upon. That's simply unfair and not very smart. Do you comment on movies after leaving within the frist 15 minutes? That was the original point; you were speaking from a place of ignorance.

If it takes more than 15 minutes to learn the standard operations of a built in NAVI than of course I'm gonna dislike it! Those small manuals are more like quick references, and the biggest issue with the NAVI is the subject being WASTE OF MONEY! If you already have one and can afford it good on you, but there have been many complaints on the NAVI with disc updating, screen location, traffic, tint blocking antenna, OEM vs portable, lack of use...shall i go on??

And in regards to the prostitute, man do you seem like the kind of guy that would kiss one!
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:08 PM
RAR

You know. Theres a reason the navi is an option. the. only. option. god help us if we get more addon options and we have to put up with more nitpicking over moot points.
Old 07-12-2006 | 03:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

And in regards to the prostitute, man do you seem like the kind of guy that would kiss one!
Imagine being a prostitute's driver!

The Nav will sure help you find those addresses!

Old 07-12-2006 | 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Alright guys, lets stay on topic here and sway away from comments on prostitutes please.
Old 07-12-2006 | 06:01 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by trancemission
it kills me that you call people against it navi haters. why cant you just understand that some people can do with or without it. nobody is saying that its a bad tool. navi is freakin awesome.

there are times when I wish I had it, but shit dude, if you've lived in Dallas for any length of time and you still cant figure out where you're going you got problems. the only time I would really want navi is if Im on a business trip and i rent a car. thats when I would need it. other than that its just eye candy to me..
So you'd know where McKee St and Wall St intersect, without a map, I take it? What part of Dallas would you say that's in? This is precisely what I'm talking about. Don't pretend to have Dallas memorized. I have YET to see a living Mapsco. And to read the posts about those who did not get it, all they talk about is how portable systems are way better they can swap between cars, their PDA can do teh same thing...they're justifications, is all.
Old 07-12-2006 | 06:02 PM
Team Nighthawk member

I love the Navi! Comes in handy when I'm in an unfamiliar area and need to get some gas or find an ATM.
Old 07-13-2006 | 04:47 AM
Intermediate

This tread is funny. Next someone will say that the auto is better than the 6 speed.
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:50 AM
Instructor

So you'd know where McKee St and Wall St intersect, without a map, I take it? What part of Dallas would you say that's in? This is precisely what I'm talking about. Don't pretend to have Dallas memorized. I have YET to see a living Mapsco. And to read the posts about those who did not get it, all they talk about is how portable systems are way better they can swap between cars, their PDA can do teh same thing...they're justifications, is all.
The debate is over! If you drive, you probably need a Navi. If you just tool around your neighborhood looking Kool in yer ride - well it's still impressive to have. It's the future of automobildome. Reminds me of the debate years ago between something new called 'Windows' and venerable DOS on computers. The naysayers came up with all kinds of reasons this graphical program called 'Windows' would NEVER be on their computers! It would NEVER replace DOS for them. Anyone using computers knows what happened. Soon automobiles without NAVI will be dinasaurs. Of course our current NAVI will evolve in ways we currently can't imagine. These are the early days - and the early adoptors will prevail!
Old 07-13-2006 | 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Do I have Navi in mine? No.

If the TL came with it standard, I'd honestly use it quite rarely. I know where I'm going, have a good sense of direction yadda yadda. For two thousand dollars I can buy a lot of maps. I dont mind asking for directions either. And yes, I am justifying my reasons.

I like that Acura gives us the option of getting Navi if we feel the need. For me, the increased cost wasnt worth it. Others may actually find it more useful than I. More power to them

However, I DO like the interior in a navi-equipped TL better. Too bad Acura cost cut in that department.
Old 07-13-2006 | 07:56 AM
I love cars!

I like Snappy's post; quite to the point. I noticed how many car commercials make a point of filming interiors that show available Navi systems. When you cna get Navi in a Mazda3 or Honda Civic, why in the world would you have it in your Acura? If a CIVIC or Mazda3 owner can justify the cost of Navi, surely we shouldn't hear of Acura drivers complaining that it "costs too much.' And that's all I'm goint to say about that.

Snappy did put the argument to rest.

Since no one wants $2000 worth of non-voice-activated, non-automatically re-routing, non-phone-dialing maps piled up and laying around their car, I think it can be concluded that Navi is not "a waste of money" while letting non-navi buyers save face by conceding that it may not be for everyone. If a $20K Civic owner can pony up for it, sure a $35K Acura buyer can.
Old 07-13-2006 | 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Sure I could pony it up. I was going to pony up for an RL, but i decided it wasnt for me. And since I had the choice I chose not to get Navi. Simply dont need it. As I mentioned Honda gives its customers that option (except for the '05/'06 RL) Someday it'll probably be a standard feature on many cars, I'll accept that. I probably wont use it though. Meanwhile those $2000 went to something more useful.
Old 07-13-2006 | 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Sure I could pony it up. I was going to pony up for an RL, but i decided it wasnt for me. And since I had the choice I chose not to get Navi. Simply dont need it. As I mentioned Honda gives its customers that option (except for the '05/'06 RL) Someday it'll probably be a standard feature on many cars, I'll accept that. I probably wont use it though. Meanwhile those $2000 went to something more useful.

Thank you Ken, well said...........you really saved face for us non-navi buyers...

I remember the sales guy asking me if I wanted navi and I specifically remember saying no thanks!

Now that I think about it, Ive never driven in anybodies car with Navi and seen them use it once. probably because they knew where we were going.
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

So you'd know where McKee St and Wall St intersect, without a map, I take it? What part of Dallas would you say that's in?
my point being I dont need to spend another 2K for my car to tell me how to get there. You keep argueing how great a tool it is and thats not my point at all. Its an amazing tool. I'm glad you were able to use yours that one time, I probably wouldve done the same. But at this point in my life I dont mind looking it up...

If a $20K Civic owner can pony up for it, sure a $35K Acura buyer can.

you've argued this in past threads. I think for the most part you make good points until you say shit like this, this is where you derail. I cant believe you think just because someone pays 35K for a car they should spend another 2K. I work on jets that cost millions of dollars and Ive seen owners that couldve spent a couple thousand more on some items and they decided against it. Does that make them stupid? no. They are only buying what they need. Thats why its great to have options. Thats what everybody thats going to spend a shitload of money want.

Okay Im done......tell us how the Steely Dan concert is.
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2point3
This tread is funny. Next someone will say that the auto is better than the 6 speed.
HaHa, yes the Auto is better than the 6sp. When I was younger I did foolish things like purchase sports cars with manual transmissions to squirt around in (besides auto trannys were called 'slush boxes' in those days.) Now that I'm grown up and Auto tranny's have grown up, sawing through a 6sp makes NO sense to me. Especially, in stop and go traffic we see EVERYWHERE these days. If rowing the gears is your thing - go for it. For me I'd never go back to those days again. This argument of Auto vs. Manual will *never* be settled here because it is an emotional issue for many. And it's a 'male' thing too I suspect. Kinda macho to pop the clutch and feel the power curve. So to each his own - but *better choice* is an individual thang guys. Course with some folks rowing a 6sp is probably the most exercise they'll get during the day.

Quick Reply: NAVI, is a waste of money!