NAVI, is a waste of money!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004 | 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Shat up Moron

For sales people Navi does come in extremely useful, especially the new updated dvd system in the 2004s

As far as I know the availablility of 6spd w/navi is limited and that will end up really helping in resale value. Plus there is an adapter to convert the screen into a tv tuner and keep everything looking stock.
Old 04-24-2004 | 02:25 AM
Racer

i hate to ask... but.. does manual/stick really has a better resell value over automatic cars?
Old 04-24-2004 | 04:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EluSiOn
I already expressed my view on navi system before...
They refused to look at looking for alternative and just believe what acura supplies is the best.
I looked at other products and came to the conclusion who wants another box sitting on the dash. I use the additional voice features as much as the navi and Acura does supply the best if you go by mapping in Canada, Each to his own but I won't buy another car without navi. Who cares how much it costs? If I was going to cheap out I'd buy an EL, in fact I could buy two EL's for the same price. No thanks.
Old 04-24-2004 | 10:46 AM
Advanced

Navi is a Waste of Money

Just out of curiosity--- What, exactly, is the purpose of a post like that, other than to start arguments? Seems to me, it doesn't offer any sort of constructive assistance to TL owners, nor does it seek any.

On the other hand, if mulletdude only wanted to start some bickering on an otherwise very useful forum, he certainly succeeded.
Old 04-24-2004 | 11:50 AM
Drifting

It depends..

i hate to ask... but.. does manual/stick really has a better resell value over automatic cars?
A six speed actually decreases the trade in value but it is worth far more to an enthusiast looking for it...that is if you sell privately..
Case in point...I couldnt GIVE away my acura cls with automatic...the market was saturated with them..however six speeds were rare and many people sold theirs far easier. I will never own an automatic again...I love my six speed.
Old 04-24-2004 | 01:37 PM
Advanced

LOL!!!

I've created a monster! If you guys want me to start a forum 'Stick vs. Manual' I will.

As far as why I would say something like that. I simply believe that there are better ways to spend $3000 on your car.

There is nothing more pathetic that someone buying a $35000 car and regretting it because they didn't get NAVI. this thread was primarily for them. But predictably, it has become a thread where NAVI owners rant and rave to justify the money they spent on it.

And please don't try and justify that its only $2000 for the simple truth that most of you did not CASH out on your cars, and probably leasing or financing just like the majority of western society. If you really want me to call you out... I will also say this. Probably 5% of the users on this forum are filthy rich, and probably bought the TL CASH, and only b/c it was practical, when they probably could've bought an M5, E55 or something.

BUT, Most of you probably can't really afford it, and what really gets me is that all of you try and make it seem like you guys are ballers and filthy rich. When in reality you sat down and tried to budget your money, and probably told yourself 'Im gonna go out less' or 'eat at home' to save money in order to 'afford' your car. Then probably went out for a nice steak to 'celebrate' your new car.

Simple facts.

1. NAVI is priceless if you are someone who is on the road alot for work, travelling and so forth... more power to you... however when you people start talking about resale value and how your gonna get a better deal for your car... I would say.. no, b/c chances are youre putting massive miles on your car being on the road that much, so by the time you try and get rid of it, it won't be worth sh!t.

2. You don't really use it! For the gentleman who used his NAVI to find wineries... there is nothing cooler than that.. it probably also saved his ass in front of his GF, which maybe worth the $3k just in itself. This gentleman uses it, just like to rest of you who really use it. Thumbs up to you. BUT... most of those who get it after the first few months of looking at it, cooing over it... don't really use it. but it looks cool.

3. Not the shock value you think it is! Since its a sausage fest in here... here is an illustration. Your TL is bone stock, but has NAVI. My TL doesn't have NAVI, but has a DVD system with headrest and front mounted screens with upgraded mids, tweets and better sub. Fine ass girl comes by, and takes a ride in both. She sits in your car, and says 'WOW, a TV screen' and youre like 'YEAH, baby it is!' Then you take her for a ride and shes like 'Wow a map' and you say 'YEAH, baby it is!' And then you explain to her that you are traveling North on I-5. You may even say, 'Baby, I can talk to my car!' So you say 'find the nearest Chevron' b/c youre a little low on gas. then you come back and she says 'WOW, cool car'

She gets in my car and she says 'WOW TV Screen(s)' and I say 'YEAH baby, it is!" I take her for a ride and turn on a DVD for her... perhaps 'the MATRIX' and she says 'WOW' and then i pop in a MUSIC DVD, so now we've got audio and video and she's like 'WOW' I come back, and she doesn't get out. PLUS, my TL is A-Spec.
That my friends is SHOCK VALUE.

I just call it as i see it. PLEASE READ BTWN THE LINES. Its not the people that have NAVI and actually use it, that Im dogging.

THIS THREAD IS FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE NAVI AND ARE REGRETTING IT B/C IT MAKES THE INTERIOR LOOK COOL, AND THATS REALLY THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY WANT IT. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY IF THAT IS THE CASE, BUT LIKE I SAID, THAT IS THE CASE MOST OF THE TIME.
Old 04-24-2004 | 01:47 PM
Drifting

heh

Originally Posted by silvermullet
LOL!!!

I've created a monster! If you guys want me to start a forum 'Stick vs. Manual' I will.

As far as why I would say something like that. I simply believe that there are better ways to spend $3000 on your car.

There is nothing more pathetic that someone buying a $35000 car and regretting it because they didn't get NAVI. this thread was primarily for them. But predictably, it has become a thread where NAVI owners rant and rave to justify the money they spent on it.

And please don't try and justify that its only $2000 for the simple truth that most of you did not CASH out on your cars, and probably leasing or financing just like the majority of western society. If you really want me to call you out... I will also say this. Probably 5% of the users on this forum are filthy rich, and probably bought the TL CASH, and only b/c it was practical, when they probably could've bought an M5, E55 or something.

BUT, Most of you probably can't really afford it, and what really gets me is that all of you try and make it seem like you guys are ballers and filthy rich. When in reality you sat down and tried to budget your money, and probably told yourself 'Im gonna go out less' or 'eat at home' to save money in order to 'afford' your car. Then probably went out for a nice steak to 'celebrate' your new car.

Simple facts.

1. NAVI is priceless if you are someone who is on the road alot for work, travelling and so forth... more power to you... however when you people start talking about resale value and how your gonna get a better deal for your car... I would say.. no, b/c chances are youre putting massive miles on your car being on the road that much, so by the time you try and get rid of it, it won't be worth sh!t.

2. You don't really use it! For the gentleman who used his NAVI to find wineries... there is nothing cooler than that.. it probably also saved his ass in front of his GF, which maybe worth the $3k just in itself. This gentleman uses it, just like to rest of you who really use it. Thumbs up to you. BUT... most of those who get it after the first few months of looking at it, cooing over it... don't really use it. but it looks cool.

3. Not the shock value you think it is! Since its a sausage fest in here... here is an illustration. Your TL is bone stock, but has NAVI. My TL doesn't have NAVI, but has a DVD system with headrest and front mounted screens with upgraded mids, tweets and better sub. Fine ass girl comes by, and takes a ride in both. She sits in your car, and says 'WOW, a TV screen' and youre like 'YEAH, baby it is!' Then you take her for a ride and shes like 'Wow a map' and you say 'YEAH, baby it is!' And then you explain to her that you are traveling North on I-5. You may even say, 'Baby, I can talk to my car!' So you say 'find the nearest Chevron' b/c youre a little low on gas. then you come back and she says 'WOW, cool car'

She gets in my car and she says 'WOW TV Screen(s)' and I say 'YEAH baby, it is!" I take her for a ride and turn on a DVD for her... perhaps 'the MATRIX' and she says 'WOW' and then i pop in a MUSIC DVD, so now we've got audio and video and she's like 'WOW' I come back, and she doesn't get out. PLUS, my TL is A-Spec.

I just call it as i see it. PLEASE READ BTWN THE LINES. Its not the people that have NAVI and actually use it, that Im dogging.

THIS THREAD IS FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE NAVI AND ARE REGRETTING IT B/C IT MAKES THE INTERIOR LOOK COOL, AND THATS REALLY THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY WANT IT. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY IF THAT IS THE CASE, BUT LIKE I SAID, THAT IS THE CASE MOST OF THE TIME.
Navi is not a waste..if you have it you use it CONSTANTLY. If you never had nav in a car whether it be aftermarket or manufacturer you will NEVER, EVER understand. Of course if you never leave your house than yes...nav is a waste of time and money. I have aftermarket navi...love it. Use it everytime I have to go anywhere or need a quick telephone number etc. Do I feel the 3-5000 you may pay for the manufacturer navi is worth it? Not to me...not because I cant afford it...I can. But I have a sense of whats "worth" the money and whats not...by not spending the money I can invest it and have my money double over time. Do I feel spending 500-1000 on aftermarket navi is wortht it? Hell yes. Many guys here may have bought the navi for coolness factor and then found out its damn useful.
Old 04-24-2004 | 01:57 PM
Advanced

See dude, that is what i am talking about... You felt you needed and went out and got aftermarket NAVI. you probably paid much less for it, and as you said, it is NOT worth the premium paid as a dealer option. That is my point and i think you've proved it quite nicely. Im not dogging on NAVIGATION and the usefulness of it. I am either directly or indirectly dogging on those who paid a gross premium for an option that they will hardly ever use.

Like I said, there is a good % of people who actually use there NAVI... so I say GOOD. BUT!!!! there a larger % of people who DON"T USE it. So, I say, if that is the case, especially for people who are looking to buy a TL and wondering NAVI vs. NON-NAVI, really think about why you want it. The perceived value of NAVI vs. the actual value of NAVI is usually very different.

Sure, Go invest $3k in a fund or a CD or stocks. put it towards an appreciating asset like a house. If you want to GO SPEND $3000 on your car, but there are better places to spend $3000.
Old 04-24-2004 | 05:48 PM
Racer

I wouldn't go so far as to say Navi is a complete waste of money, but I don't think it's worth the extra $2000. I don't travel much, rarely get lost. and have no trouble looking at a map. I also would never get in the car without knowing where I was going. And as far as being able to find the nearest restaurant, well I'm trying to get in shape so the last thing I need is to be able to find restaurants more easily. What would make the Navi a real must-have is if it showed realtime traffic. I would gladly pay $2000 for that. The problem with the TL is that the non-Navi screen looks awful so you have to get the Navi. Maybe Acura did that on purpose. Right now I have an Accord. I didn't get the Navi cause I didn't need it and the non-Navi dash looks good. But I hope to someday get a TL. I'm just waiting for them to offer AWD. But I'll have no choice but to get the Navi since the non-Navi screen looks awful and the fact that there's a screen there makes people think you have Navi. Then you have to explain that you don't. That happened to my parents who had a Lexus RX300 without Navi. It had the screen and everyone who got in thought it had Navi and then you feel like an idiot saying you don't, you just have a big screen in the dash for no reason. I also think Navi is becoming more and more of a given in luxury cars and not having it looks like you got shortchanged. It's like getting a luxury car and not getting a moonroof or leather.
Old 04-24-2004 | 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
But I'll have no choice but to get the Navi since the non-Navi screen looks awful and the fact that there's a screen there makes people think you have Navi. Then you have to explain that you don't. That happened to my parents who had a Lexus RX300 without Navi. It had the screen and everyone who got in thought it had Navi and then you feel like an idiot saying you don't, you just have a big screen in the dash for no reason.
Oh the humanity of it all. Did you have to move out of that town from the shame?

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
I also think Navi is becoming more and more of a given in luxury cars and not having it looks like you got shortchanged. It's like getting a luxury car and not getting a moonroof or leather.
Actually it's a lot more like getting a luxury car without a navigation system. A moonroof contributes to the driver's control of the in-car environment, and leather just feels good! A navi may or may not be a $2000 decoration, depending on if you need it.

The navi will be quickly outdated and outclassed by technological advances, whereas the other features retain their desirability.

Mike
Old 04-24-2004 | 07:18 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Unhappy

Silvermullet
this is a really sorrow way to get your posting counter up...

plus this subject has been discussed way too many times... just do a search.

if you don't like Navi, don't buy it, it's an option, you know.
and leave all of us to enjoy what we want.
Old 04-24-2004 | 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by svtmike
Oh the humanity of it all. Did you have to move out of that town from the shame?
:lol1:

Good one!
Old 04-24-2004 | 10:07 PM
Instructor

I went without the Navi, would have been nice to get but with my wife expecting our first child in about a week or so I just couldn't justify the extra cash. I'm sure I will need to money to by diapers or clothes etc.
It will nice when someday Navi is a few hundred dollar option, then I'll be happy to get it.
Old 04-25-2004 | 01:03 AM
Racer

US market is really behind for electronic consumer gadgets.

Cell phone, pda & NAVI system are behind Japan, Korea, Taiwan and most of East Asia country about 6 months. The just came out brand new cell phone on the cingular/T-mobile store counter was a hot item six month ago in those region. Those Camera phone and also color screen phone just take off this year in US but it already take off in Asia 18 month ago. In addition, those high tech gadgets are also extremely popular in Europe. Many brtis use toothing to find one night stand. That is blue tooth msg one and other. :devil:

People uses realtime traffic NAVI system in East Asia and it only cost them less than US$1000 to install the system. There is no justification for a NAVI that cost US$2500~$3000. I didn't get the nav not b/c I am short on cash. I put down 20k for my TL and I only financed 11k for the car. Having a nav option would only increase my monthly payment around US$30. However, I do not wish to buy something for US$2500 that would immediated labelled out of date item. and Godspeed to 3D Solar Sensing Function TL Nav system. :thefinger

If you really travel alot around the country, you would probably prefer taking the planes or the train instead of driving your TL.

and so much for the annually updates http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78322
Old 04-25-2004 | 02:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

US market is really behind for electronic consumer gadgets.

Cell phone, pda & NAVI system are behind Japan, Korea, Taiwan and most of East Asia country about 6 months. The just came out brand new cell phone on the cingular/T-mobile store counter was a hot item six month ago in those region. Those Camera phone and also color screen phone just take off this year in US but it already take off in Asia 18 month ago. In addition, those high tech gadgets are also extremely popular in Europe. Many brtis use toothing to find one night stand. That is blue tooth msg one and other. :devil:

True... I know a salesman from Taiwan visiting his clients in US quarterly... 4/5 years ago, when ppl here carried plump and heavy cellular phones, he had some newest Motorola V flap cell. His cell was the eye-catching stuff in the conference room. After 10 months, I saw some stores starting to sell that model in US. We always wonder what he will use in next trip.

Now, we may shorten that distance, but are still far behind the real trend...
Old 04-25-2004 | 05:48 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

I already expressed my view on navi system before...

It is not really worth $2500 for it... you can get after market PDA or tablet pc for much cheaper price and provides more functionality. However, most ppl who already got NAV system would try very hard to resisting believing that they made a bad choice and they would keep their eyes narrowed and focusing on those integrated functions like 3d solar sensing and etc. They refused to look at looking for alternative and just believe what acura supplies is the best.
EluSiOn - Did you purchase the 04TL Navi? I suspect not, considering your leanings.

For your information, I tried 4 other "aftermarket" Navi systems in my previous car, and all of them were almost total disasters. It's true that they may offer more features than the TL Navi, but the TL Navi also offers useful features that the aftermarket Navi systems do not.

I was leaning the same way that you are as far as "Why spend the extra bucks for the TL Navi when I could use my PDA instead?"

So, being a good engineer, I ended up trying the TL Navi for a quite a few hours during test drives to do proper research before I made my final decision.

For reference: I used a Dell Axim X5 with the following software: Destinator 1, Destinator 2.0, TomTom USA Navigator 2, Mapopolis (don't remember what version, but it was recent). I had a lighter based power cable to the Axim to keep it powered, and a windshield mount to keep the PDA in view and usable.

Here's what I found:

(1) Many attempts to use my PDA-based Navi while driving should have ended up with me having an accident. Operating the controls on the small PDA screen and the poorer user interface made Navi changes while driving extrememly hazardous. While not recommended (of course!), making Navi changes on the 04TL while driving has been a lot safer.

(2) Using a notebook computer or Tablet PC required purchasing the CPU. The combined price of a CPU + software + GPS receiver + decent mounting system would have brought the total price close enough to $2500 (and possibly over that) that purchasing the dealer installed Navi just makes good sense. If your real goal is to save a significant amount of money, the only viable option is to purchase a PDA with software, GPS, and mounting system. Otherwise, you won't be saving much money worth considering if you're buying a $35,000 car.

(3) Voice commands on the TL Navi allows me to stay focused on the primary task - driving. The voice commands are not just a "nice-to-have", they actually make me a safer driver by keeping my attention on the road. The fact that the TL Navi mutes the car's audio system whenever you issue a voice command makes voice control a truly usable feature. I have never seen another voice recognition system work this well (95%+ good recognition), regardless of training (which the 04TL doesn't need). Since other systems can't mute the ambient sound of your car stereo, voice commands won't probably ever be a useful option on after-market systems.

(4) The TL Navi is always available when I'm driving my car. When I used my PDA-based system, there were many times that I wish I had it with me to find a place I was going to, but I had left the PDA at home or at work. This goes back to item (2), which really requires puchasing of a seperate system (PDA, notebook, or Tablet PC) that stays in the car to get similar functionality. The only time I had the PDA mounted in the car was when I went on long trips out of town. However, I use the TL Navi a lot more often than just for that.

(5) The "Yellow Pages" functionality of the TL Navi is extremely useful, especially when you include a Bluetooth phone. Just press the "Send" button on the Navi display, and you're dialing the business - no more calls to Verizon Information, no more memorizing numbers while driving in case the business's phone is currently busy.

(6) The vocal direction cues from the TL Navi reduce the car's sound sytem output and use the car's speakers to make the direction cues easier to understand. The sound from my PDA was usually a challenge to hear above my car stereo, and only had one usable sound level that wasn't extremely distorted but still loud enough to be somewhat audible in my car. A portable PC's speaker system with a single tiny (On a notebook: two tiny) speakers can't compete with the sound quality and understandability that a real integrated sound system provides.

(7) Some of the PDA based systems offered a 3D view that I really liked that the 04TL Navi doesn't offer. Functionally, that's the only real feature that I truly miss from the PDA-based systems.

(8) For some reason, the user interfaces on the PDA-based systems were poorly thought out. The best one of the bunch was TomTom Navigator 2 in my opinion, and I still found that I often went to the wrong screen or didn't get the functionality that I wanted bacause of the user interface. I would think that this should be solvable with enough time and research by the software manufacturer, but I haven't seen it happen yet. The 04TL user interface is simpler and more direct, though not very "flashy".

(9) While it wasn't too bad, the windshield mount of the PDA slightly obstructed some of my road view. Not a problem with the TL Navi.

(10) Some of the PDA-based systems (TomTom and Mapopolis) displayed the car's position more accurately than the 04TL Navi. However, this isn't a huge problem on any of the TL Navi. One problem with Destinator 2.0 was that it didn't give the vocal direction cues until I was right on top of the turn ("Turn Right" means "Turn right this instant or you're going to pass up the street, Bozo!")

(11) I won't get into the esthetics of the TL Navi, other than to say that any other after-market system that was purchased to save money over the stock system will look like "an after-market system that was purchased to save money over the stock system".

(12) Better warranty with the Acura installed system.

When it gets right down to it, the TL Navi is just a fully integrated system that can't be matched feature-for-feature with any after-market systems, at least not yet and possibly ever.

And, in my opinion, the 04TL Navi was better than any of the other stock Navi systems that I saw from Infiniti, BMW, and Lexus.

Once I spent enough time with the 04TL Navi, I realised that there was really only one sensible choice: Pay a few hundred dollars more and get the Acura system. I may not have gone the same way if I was purchasing a G35, but the Acura system made this a "no-brainer".

Worth the $2500? Absolutely, if you want a Navigation system that can truly improve your driving experience.
Old 04-25-2004 | 08:17 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

I also thought of one more feature on some of the PDA systems that I miss on the 04TL Navi: Image quality. Destinator 2 and TomTom USA 2 had more graphically "rich" and "full" displays instead of the "stick-figure" displays that the 04TL Navi has.

While the poorer TL Navi graphic quailty doesn't hinder functionality in any way, the PDA software had a higher quality look in this regard.

Also, I should mention that my PDA-based navigation systems worked so poorly overall, that I rarely used them except when really needed.

The opposite is true of the TL Navi: I didn't think that I would use it very much, since I thought I knew my way around town pretty well. Instead, I'm finding that I'm using it for more than I thought I would because of the system versitality and design. I didn't realise how much I used to go to Mapquest to get to new restaurants and businesses or friends' homes.
Old 04-25-2004 | 09:50 AM
Racer

GotJazz,

My neighbor/co worker he got an Anthracite with NAVI. He bought that car one week b4 I do and he got the navi due to that was the only car on the lot was Anthracite. Then I went ahead got a NPB w/o NAVI due to there is only one car on the lot that is black. Two of us evaluate the NAV system from Feb -1 until now, our conclusion is that the NAV is expensives. Both of us coming from programming background and we often fly to East Asia attending Computex Shows and Cebit Shows. You can say it is only two computer nerd's conclusion. BTW, he is 33 and I am 26.

There are 8.4 inch screen size PDA out. and also there are voice command & vocal command available for many nav system papago is one of them. However, it is impossible for anyone trying to watch DVD video on PDA due to it lacks of video ram and its CPU is way to slow to process rich media content. It can provide most of the Acura nav system function except all the intergrated function like 3D solar sensing then adjust Climate Control accordingly and etc. The Yellow Pages feature that so many praise about is also available in many nav applications. However, the DVD only updates annually!

A 12.1inch Tablet PC will play DVD without a problem and also in near futurely when G3 (which is big in Japan and also UK) is avaible, driving on interstate and while get online at broad band speed will become common. If you are on the go type of the person, using the tablet pc solution probably cheaper b/c you can take that tablet pc anywhere w/ you.

I made assumption on that realtime traffice nav system will definately require a monthly service fee due to you need to get additional service from XM or 3G content provider. 05RL nav with XM realtime traffic info is extremely nice and I am assuming the service in the beginning would only available in metropolitan area like NYC to DC region.

This tablet pc only cost US$1600

This PDA cost US$850 and it is running the same OS as the Alpine Nav system

Old 04-25-2004 | 05:19 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, same ol' argument again. I've never replied to any of them before, but it always surprises me how much people argue against the navigation system because they didn't purchase it.

I live in SoCal so I use mine a lot. If there is roadwork or an accident and I get rerouted, the navigation system will inform me how to get to my destination another way within seconds. It's very driver friendly. I've found myself in many different cities since I've bought my car (Feb 14) and it has helped me immensely in finding my way around. I love that it cuts down on time I would have wasted looking at maps or trying to find the correct freeway entrance. I suppose it all depends on where you live and your lifestyle. I travel from the Los Angeles area all the way to Ventura County in Southern California on a weekly basis. Also, my husband and I enjoy driving and visiting different places on weekends so it's been invaluable for that reason. All in all, I feel safer with it. I hate being lost in unfamiliar neighborhoods at night. I guess it all depends on how much that is worth to someone on an individual basis. I bought it because I truly needed it and I felt it was worth the price for that peace of mind.

As others have pointed out, if you don't feel it's worth the price and you don't think you'll use it on a regular basis, then don't get it. I don't see the need to vilify others who wanted/needed it in order for you to feel justified in not getting it. If you're happy with your decision - great. In the same vein, simply allow others to be happy with theirs.
Old 04-25-2004 | 05:36 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

This is a dumb argument. These devices are great, but for the NAVI APPLICATION, they are far inferior. Where do you put them, how can you use them quickly. Ooops, I dropped my Tablet Pen, hello tree! Even if you had one on the seat ready to go, by the time you got your eyes focused on it to the right place, you will have had your eyes off the road for a long time. What about at night? How would you handle that with a PDA or Tablet? If you want to stop and pull over all of the time, they are fine.

Face it, if you don't want a navi, DON'T GET IT! Don't you get it?
Old 04-25-2004 | 05:42 PM
Racer

Yes, if I really felt like it, I guess i could ask 'NAVI' for directions. btw.. I don't have NAVI in my TL for the following reasons

1. Resale is better on Non-NAVI then NAVI.

That has been in the past. Can't say in the future since there is this year a greater demand for TL's with navi. So could very well be a sale factor in the future in selling a TL or any car with Navi.

Navi is not gonna be a day-to-day necessity. But is handy on a vacation or... going someplace new. I use on my PC something like Mapquest quite a bit. Besides that, right now being a new owner, Navi adds to the fun! Another toy! (and i'm not even male.... men and their toys..)
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:10 PM
Safety Car

this argument is getting old. Elusion how come you are so against the factory TL nav but offer all these make shift alternatives. so what if the Alpine Nav is the same OS as the tablet. it will not do what the Acura system does. we have been through this already. the Xbox has a pentium processor and nVidia chip in it, same as my computer. but i cannot play Xbox games on my PC. is it impossible? probably not, but do you know how much development effort would be involved. honestly who here wants to carry around that tablet pc or pda everytime they have to drive the car? i remember the last thread you posted pics of a sytem your friend had installed that had a lcd screen and a PC jimmy rigged into a car. i am sure i am not the only one who was chuckling when they saw that. the Acura Nav is not the best thing since sliced bread. there are probably japanese systems that are far superior. but its a great system to use, its convenient and offers value. besides the neat factor it serves a purpose without the hassle of wiring installing and configuring an aftermarket system.
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:22 PM
Safety Car

here is the post from last time, this is the pic of the aftermarket nav system that his friend installed. notice the pc wedged into the spare tire wheel well and the cooling fans in the trunk. the console has a huge lcd screen mounted in front of the passenger airbag for safety reasons. in case the car crashes the lcd will be cushioned by the airbag and your passengers face. to anyone looking for a nav system consider this as an alternative.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...8&page=3&pp=25
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:22 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Why do some people think the NAVI hurts the resale? I checked the Edmunds pricing on Acura TLs and found the following:

Trade-In/Private Party/Dealer Retail

1999 Acura TL (60000 Miles)
1999 Acura TL NAV (60000 Miles) add 458/520/650

2000 Acura TL (48000 Miles)
2000 Acura TL NAV (48000 Miles) add 756/845/1035

2001 Acura TL (36000 Miles)
2001 Acura TL NAV (36000 Miles) add 891/981/1183

2002 Acura TL (24000 Miles)
2002 Acura TL NAV (24000 Miles) add 1058/1120/1360

2003 Acura TL (12000 Miles)
2003 Acura TL NAV (12000 Miles) add 1280/1349/1627

Looks like it adds value to me!
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:35 PM
Bobz

I don't have anything against the nav except it is too expensive. The prive for a navigation system in 1997 was $ 2000.00 on a Lexus GS300, and seven years later it is still $ 2,000.00, when every other techno toy has come down in price big time. A nav system today should cost no more than $ 1000.00 tops. When you factor in the Acura dealer stance on not dealing on Nav units, the cost difference between Nav and Non-Nav is even greater. But I guess if you have to have it, you have to have it. Too me the TL is such a great car, the Nav is not even frosting on the cake. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to Acura TL owners. It is a non-issue with the competitors cars. I'm not even sure I saw any Navigation units on the G35, CTS, or 325I although they must have them as an option.
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:46 PM
Safety Car

i agree that the price of the nav should come down with time. but there have been improvements in the system which you have to consider. i have owned another nav system prior to this and there have been improvements to the system. its more accurate, the database is much larger. calculating of routes are much faster with auto re-routing. the interface is improved a great deal, voice reponse is perfect addition because you don't want to take you hands off the steering wheel for safety. in another 5-10 years i would not be surprised if they made the navi standard on luxury model lines to offer more value. maybe soon after that it will be standard even on a honda civic.
Old 04-26-2004 | 01:27 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by caball88
here is the post from last time, this is the pic of the aftermarket nav system that his friend installed. notice the pc wedged into the spare tire wheel well and the cooling fans in the trunk. the console has a huge lcd screen mounted in front of the passenger airbag for safety reasons. in case the car crashes the lcd will be cushioned by the airbag and your passengers face. to anyone looking for a nav system consider this as an alternative.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...8&page=3&pp=25
OMG! That's hilarious!

I was going to give a more detailed and hopefully thought-provoking response to EluSiOn comments, but those pictures speak volumes! I wouldn't even think about doing something that destructive and down-right ugly to my TL.

EluSiOn, if that's what you have in mind as an actual improvement over the TL Navi with a cost savings, feel free to go ahead. Send us pictures of your installation when you're done. Be sure to keep track of all your expenses beyond the PC/PDA, GPS module, and mounting system. I'm sure there will be other things to take into account - wiring expenses and hours of work to do the installation, jsut to name a few. My guess is that your end expense will be very difficult to keep under $2000.

Also, I'll bet that while your final system may offer some features over the 04TL Navi, but you'll be making significant sacrifices in others. For your system to truly be an "improvement" over the 04TL Navi, there shouldn't be any loss of functionality from what the 04TL Navi provides. Otherwise, what you have isn't an "improvement", it's called a "trade-off" - where you sacrifice some features for what you feel are more important features.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2004 | 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

The Germans know how to Navi

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
I don't have anything against the nav except it is too expensive. The prive for a navigation system in 1997 was $ 2000.00 on a Lexus GS300, and seven years later it is still $ 2,000.00, when every other techno toy has come down in price big time. A nav system today should cost no more than $ 1000.00 tops.
Navi on a new Mercedes-Benz ML350 is $995.

XP
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:25 AM
Advanced

I once got lost leaving New York City at dusk and had no idea where I was. I had a crappy map book and some Mapquest maps I printed off which did nothing since I was off the beaten path. We had to stop at a police station of all places to get directions and finally after 2 hours got back the right way. I drove on Broadway in Manhattan and I did not even get nervous until I took the wrong freeway exit and ended up in the hood somewhere in Jersey. My wife and 9 month old daughter, my dad, we were LOST! I have a fine sense of direction and 99% of the time I do fine usually but after this, I will never get a car without Navi ever. I added Navi to my 03 TL because of that time. I'm not a white knuckled slow in the left lane dousch bag driver from Ohio, I drive that TL and I get around but even if I don't get lost often, I have it now in case I do and if I do need it, I don't have to think twice about driving in some town and worrying about my family or passengers, we'll be outta there. Oh and I like gadgets too. Eric.
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:39 AM
Racer

lol... out of those pics I posted.. you guys choose that particular one...

what about the following ones?

People has done it many times already... connect GPS bluethoo device to PDA or Tablet PC.
Old 04-27-2004 | 01:13 AM
Safety Car

ok does anyone else agree with me that the keyboard is rediculous. the pictures again speak for themselves. who here would prefer these aftermarket lcd setups to the factory TL one? and don't tell me the cost of those systems is 600-800 dollars. where did they hide the computer? when you start the car do you have to boot up the computer manually? when you arrive at your destination do you have to shut down the computer before you turn the engine off.

Elusion i am sorry that i am so negative to the aftermarket install of a nav system but what you are offering is just not a "better" system than the acura one. its an alternative and offers people an option to customize their ride which is fine by me. like gotjazz said it offers trade offs when compared against the acura system. but i still believe if someone was looking into getting a nav for the TL just get the factory one it makes the most sense. the TL is a great car with or without the nav. but for those who want nav i urge you to stick with the stock nav. the cost will be the same when you add up all the parts and time and effort that will be spent intalling the unit. and IMHO it will still not offer some of the nice features of the TL.
Old 04-27-2004 | 09:18 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by caball88
ok does anyone else agree with me that the keyboard is rediculous.
No. Personally, I do think it does look ridiculous, though. :toothless
Old 04-27-2004 | 10:11 AM
Drifting

hmm..

I am a big supporter of aftermarket navi units. But I do think the keyboard in the car is overkill. This unit when it comes out in june will sit right where the
clock is(on that little ledge) with no wires as it has a lithium battery or can be wired directly to your cars power source. The software is better than the alpine(3d view--not like the crappy 3d in the nissans) and it has real time traffic sensing. A windshield mount works great...
This will be about 5-600 dollars...
www.tomtom.com --the go unit..
I will be owning this bad boy.
Old 02-12-2006 | 01:35 PM
Safety Car

DISCLAIMER: I do like the way it makes the interior look.

but Seriously, Who really uses the NAVI for the mapping abilities. I can really count on one hand the last time i said, 'oh shit where is there a MacDonalds' in Seattle or 'where is the closest Holiday Inn to my house'

Yes, if I really felt like it, I guess i could ask 'NAVI' for directions. btw.. I don't have NAVI in my TL for the following reasons

1. Resale is better on Non-NAVI then NAVI.
2. you will end up paying more than $2500 for NAVI over the term of your financing or lease
3. Currently NAVI systems are relatively stupid to those in Japan obviously, so, don't feel like wasting money on it. In a couple years, they'll be able to do much more, like show you real-time traffic problem spots.

Now if i drove from Seattle to Iowa, then perhaps it may come in handy, but probably won't happen in my TL anyway.

You will probably be able to count on 1 (maybe 1.5) hand the total number of times you will actually really need it... unless you are someone who doesn't know where the hell you're going most of the time.

All it does it look cool, b/c yoos a fool riding around with screen glare at night. trying to feel important, hoping people will say 'Oh damn, check that guy out, he must have a whole entertainment system in there, or be watching TV'

1. You will never use or even care about the Solar sensing climate control, some may not even know they have it.
2. You may use the voice commands, but most of the time, I bet you'll find it easier to just push the #2 preset or #2 disc button or change tracks on the steering wheel, then use a voice command to switch stuff.

Why do most people want NAVI hacks? B/C they want to actually use the $2500+ screen in their car.

So lets think about the logic there. I buy a $35000 car with Navigation, only to get annoyed by certain aspects of it 3 months later, even wanting to reprogram it so it doesn't do what its supposed to. It looks cool, but then I realize this 8" is too cool to just show a map, so I try and get a hack so I can watch movies on it.

I ain't hatin on the peeps who have NAVI... im just simply stating the fact that its not used for its intended purpose most of the time.

BETTER SOLUTION IF YOU DON"T GOT MONEY TO WASTE:

Spend $3000 and upgrade all the speakers, b/c even even with our ELS 5.1 system, the sound is respectable, but still shit, if you compare it a BOSE systems of Acura old. Get a DVD system with an 8" mounted right above the clock unit, with headrest units (why the hell not) and maybe a separate sub, and maybe even throw in an amp.

Then when your car is bumpin off a true DVD-V, peeps will be like 'oh sh!t'

But, you probably paid a premium for you TL anyway, and it looks good inside. =)
DVD's can't be played through the Navi screen system...i don't think?
There's no available s-video out input thing...so i thought?
or IS THERE?! WTF WHERE?!
Old 02-12-2006 | 05:35 PM
Intermediate

I for one appreciate your comments. I have never laughed so hard! The fact that you consider a navi a waste of money and then go on to brag about your TV screens and new stereo shows how much $$ you wasted. You bought a nice car with a nice stereo and then removed all the radio components (that you paid for when you bought the car genius) that were working fine to impress women? Talk about paying money for something you don't use. Your original Acura stereo is probably collecting dust on a shelf. By the way, if you need a stereo or a navi to impress a girl you are probably gonna be single forever .

LOL!!!

Simple facts.

Old 02-12-2006 | 05:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GusterFan
I for one appreciate your comments. I have never laughed so hard! The fact that you consider a navi a waste of money and then go on to brag about your TV screens and new stereo shows how much $$ you wasted. You bought a nice car with a nice stereo and then removed all the radio components (that you paid for when you bought the car genius) that were working fine to impress women? Talk about paying money for something you don't use. Your original Acura stereo is probably collecting dust on a shelf. By the way, if you need a stereo or a navi to impress a girl you are probably gonna be single forever .
Ummm, Silvermullets last post on this forum was May 28th of 2004!!!!.

So when is Guster going to release their next album? As far as I'm concerned, they've been getting better and better.
Old 02-12-2006 | 05:54 PM
Pro

Lets get it started again. All I have to say is that Nav has gotten me out of some of the worst situations ever. Getting lost in the worst section of the area code, for instance. And Nav lets me drive the heck out of my car for fun. You just pick a point somewhere far away and drive there, and then you can always get home. Nav has been an integral part of my TL obsession
Old 02-12-2006 | 06:56 PM
Instructor

i do wish i had gotten the nav, but now im actually kinda happy i didnt get the acura nav....... the new pioneer in dash unit does more
Old 02-12-2006 | 07:02 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I can tell you honestly that no...I dont use the voice commands that often...at least all of em that are there for use anyway. I do use the navi all the time, and it has all but eliminated any hesitation to travel anywhere in the US (although I am sure there are some areas where coverage sux or is nonexistant...I havent run into em yet). I used to have a real hesitation to travel in larger cities where I did not know my way around already because if you miss an exit...your entire schedule is off by half hour then...not now....now I just punch it in and go. It also eliminates the need for me to figure milage, ect. for my expense reports...I just punch in before I go...record the milage in log in advance...and go. I do understand where this may not be the thing for everybody...and you apparently have no need for something like this....but myself...it has proven to be invaluable in many ways. But you are right...there are LOTs of stuff it does that I dont use or dont need...but I still like it being there? And with this being some of the newer stuff.....years down the road...these things are gonna be great! Room for improvement...yes....but very nice and great to have....yes indeed! Just my opinion....
Old 02-12-2006 | 10:07 PM
Advanced

I just love to use the Navi when i want to take a shortcut thru a street when stuck in local traffic and i can see if that street is a dead end or not. How many times have people tried doing that with no navi and end up going opposite where they wanted to go or end up in a dead end street? Also i find the calendar and calculator functions a real help. With the calendar page, I leave my girl little messages on certain days just cause i can.

Quick Reply: NAVI, is a waste of money!