Navi Replacement vs CarPC vs Tablet Integration

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Replacement vs CarPC vs Tablet Integration

Thanks for viewing.

I've recently installed the Grom-USB 2.0 in the car. My nav just died in my 3rd Gen TL and I'm beyond frustrated. Are the two related? Maybe. I came on the forums and saw quite a few people having the same continuous resetting issue with their navs. I don't use the NAV at all b/c it is old and out of date. So I was considering replacing the entire unit. I wanted to know my best 2013 options. I've been reading through the forums and your input(s ) for a solution is appreciated.

Option 1: General Car Stereo Replacement: If I remove the Nav and try to put any Normal/regular car stereo in the dash then I disable what exactly? I know by removing my NAV I disable my Sub-woofer in the back. There are some controls such as clock setting and speaker settings within the nav menu that I would loose. I was thinking/hoping that I could get a motorized fold down screen that may could interfance with my phone. Maybe even take a (Micro)SD Card? CarToys told me that I would be unable to ever take the NAV out of this car because of its integration with everything else. Is that still true?

Option 2: CarPC : I was thinking of removing the DVD unit in the trunk and maybe replacing it with a CarPC (Running Windows 8). Building the PC isn't an issue, however wiring it so that it will interface with the touch-screen is quite bit more of a hurdle. IS IT EVEN WORTH IT? I guess is the real question. I know that the resolution is truly low on the factory screen for the NAV and Win8 just got upgraded, to downgrade to a minimum 1024x768 SR. So that may not be a solution simply b/c the resolution on factory screen may not run Win8. Can I simply replace the factory screen with an upgraded resolution touch screen? That may actually lead back to option 1. A coworker suggested adding a CarPC, adding a video RGB input, removing the DVD drive, and overlaying the current touchscreen with a touch-screen over lay to interface with the PC. That seems like a bit much.

Option 3: Tablet Integration: I've seen the android integration thread where people are placing Tablets in their cars. Is this even a viable solution? Steering wheel controls will obviously be lost correct? Even with tablet integration my NAV would have to be able to fully boot in order for this to be an option correct? Then there the issue of charging and direct input into the stereo (even if I get my nav to boot again). So, at that point I would be using the GROM (or equivalent) to input into the stereo and only have the tablet for control ect? Steering wheel would obviously still work for volume. We talked about this during lunch and it is sounding like tablet integration would be the best. If that is the case are the measurements best for a iPad (Grown Mans Ipad) or for the Mini ( "other" Mans Ipad)?

Option 4: Is there an option 4?

Even with the Grom, like another user previously posted, I have to take it to 30+ to get decent volume out of it. So then that leads into adding possibly an amp. Which then leads to replacing the factory sub. If I'm going to replace the factory sub I may as well replace the door speakers and the window speakers. Which finally leads me to, a fully viable navigation replacement is going to cost me 2xs more than replacing the current Nav with a Booting Nav that I won't use.

Again your input(s ) are appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Your Acura Brother,
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
Dash mount
iphone 5
Car charger

The worlds best navigation.

- im too tired to read your post, im sorry in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Grand_hustle17 (07-05-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I would go for a tablet install. Look over both of the recent android and ipad mini threads for details. I think you can retain your steering wheel skip/back controls too if you go with an iPad mini with a USA SPEC hon 3 adapter.

The biggest catch with the tablet installs (if your current nav screen is broken) is that you won't be able to see what your radio is doing. Not a big deal though if you will only use the new iPad for music...
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPad Mini for 04 TL Nav Replacement?

Has anyone tried or looked into the possibility of using the iPad Mini for 04 TL Nav Replacement? My DVD reader just gave out and if I have to spend $350 to get a refurb'd unit then why not put that money towards a mini replacement. Thoughts?