Navi question: searching for destination by name

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi question: searching for destination by name

Why is it that if I search by name for a destination, lets say "Wal-mart", it comes up with wal marts 500 mi. away, when there are at least 27 of them within 20 miles?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
In your Navi settings, is there a way to have it search for closest first?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 518 Likes on 294 Posts
There are some other threads on this. Basically sort by distance sometimes works, but overall it's poorly implemented. Likely because of the way stuff is entered in the database. So either search by category or use a web enabled phone to lookup an address.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
04 6MT WDP w/ black Whls

Also, if this is a manual screen search make sure you are starting out by selecting the city you are in... my NAV doesn't always start in the city I want, nonetheless the right state.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've given up trying to use the search feature of the Navi for even the most obvious stuff like Costco. I can be sitting in San Francisco, CA and enter 'Costco'; it will show me results 2,000 miles away. Same if I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I believe the problem is in how data was entered - they have entries for Costco, Costco Warehouse, Costco Pharmacy, Costco Wholesale, etc and they don't know how to search such data appropriately. I've made sure my settings are appropriate (sort by distance, etc) - makes no difference.

It really is a pathetic implementation - how they dare charge $100+ for the updated maps I don't know.

Once you have an address, the Navi is great at getting you there; so I use my iPhone to look up a place, then type the address into the Navi.

That said - does anyone know if the 2008 updated DVD helps at all with this issue?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 518 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've given up trying to use the search feature of the Navi for even the most obvious stuff like Costco. I can be sitting in San Francisco, CA and enter 'Costco'; it will show me results 2,000 miles away. Same if I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I believe the problem is in how data was entered - they have entries for Costco, Costco Warehouse, Costco Pharmacy, Costco Wholesale, etc and they don't know how to search such data appropriately. I've made sure my settings are appropriate (sort by distance, etc) - makes no difference.

It really is a pathetic implementation - how they dare charge $100+ for the updated maps I don't know.

Once you have an address, the Navi is great at getting you there; so I use my iPhone to look up a place, then type the address into the Navi.

That said - does anyone know if the 2008 updated DVD helps at all with this issue?
I think the new disk only has updated roads I doubt it fixed the uselesness of the search feature.
I do the same thing with my iPhone, I really wish there was a "transfer to navi" button I could press which would take a point in the maps app on the phone and transfer it as a destination to the navi.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steerpike

No Steer it doesn't fix it. I have the 06 TL and updated to the newest version with the $149 special hoping it would but it still gives me some places that are across the country although there are some within 20 miles of me. The thing it did do for my navi was make it brighter and better resolution if that helps any ha ha.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
04 6MT WDP w/ black Whls

The few times I've used the search I haven't had any problems, but I've really only used it a couple times. Like you guys, I use my phone's Verizon Navigator for any similar types of searches, get the info and go from there... its just quicker and I know it works pretty good from all my past uses.