Navi/Dash Clock Sync MEGATHREAD (UPDATE: all should be fixed now)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022 | 05:03 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by RxWorld
mine started working today
So did mine after I had to manually set it.

Last edited by DMZ; 08-17-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2022 | 05:21 PM
Instructor

I checked mine shortly after the calendar rolled over and it hadn't changed. Then I took the car out a couple of hours later and it was completely resolved. I didn't change or adjust anything, but I will likely go into the menus to disable DST. For those still having issues, perhaps disconnect the negative battery cable, let it sit for a few mins, and then hook it back up. That should force the GPS to sync again and perhaps straighten out the issue.
Old 08-17-2022 | 10:49 PM
RPM
2nd Gear

Miracle!

When I called Acura many months ago to ask about the clock and they told me it would reset itself on Aug 17, I was skeptical to say the least. Today… voila! Clock can now be set. Hopefully, it will sync with GPS to auto adjust too. Trouble is, I’ve got so used to ignoring it, so will take a while to re-admit it into my circle of trust!
Old 08-18-2022 | 04:30 AM
Instructor

You'll want to disable auto DST, or it'll jump an hour (seemingly) randomly on you (it thinks it's January, so it has DST off, even though it's actually August and should have DST on).

If your clock is still wrong, try manually setting it... it should work, and stay correct. I believe the problem is when GPS thought it was 2002, it would save your manual time changes, but not use them. So if you pressed the + minute button a bunch of times and you thought it wasn't working... it was actually storing it, just not showing it. Now that it's back to using GPS for time, it's applying all those corrections you asked for.

DogP
Old 08-18-2022 | 05:14 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

So all of the options will require manual intervention once or twice a year, no? You either a) disable auto DST and change the time during DST changes, or b) enable auto DST and adjust the clock one hour during DST changes?
Old 08-18-2022 | 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NTP66
So all of the options will require manual intervention once or twice a year, no? You either a) disable auto DST and change the time during DST changes, or b) enable auto DST and adjust the clock one hour during DST changes?
The 06 TL's fixed in February of this year and this is what I do. In spring I let the clock auto set and then add an hour. I turn off DST, and it's been fine. In the fall I am going to click auto and then turn off DST, which should last until spring.
Old 08-18-2022 | 11:03 AM
Advanced

Congress is working on a bill to make DST permanent, and it has a lot of backing, should pass but wouldn't take affect until spring 2023, so we may still have to switch back an hour this fall. My RL's clock reset yesterday, but was giving me GMT time (5 hours behind EDT) - I set the clock manually, turned off automatic time zone (it shouldn't have given me GMT since it knows I'm on US east coast from my GPS location), and turned off DST too because of the bill I mentioned. My clock had gone from being exactly 5 mins late to 8 mins late after I tried DogP's calendar/clock update CD but it failed - no idea why that happened or why the CD didn't work for the calendar.
Old 08-18-2022 | 05:34 PM
Racer

Finally!

I turned on my 2007 TL yesterday and smiled when I saw the correct time. I didn’t even have to manually change the time, it was exactly correct. I went into the diagnostics menu (press menu, guide and cancel at the same time) and the date was January 1, 2003 with the time four hours ahead. The time was 1:46 pm and the internal clock showed 17:46 which I assume is Greenwich Mean Time. I also checked if I could manually adjust the time which I’ll have to do in November when we go back to standard time. That works again as well. I’ll admit I was a little skeptical when my service tech told me everything would be fixed on August 17, 2022, but everything seemed to work out.
Old 08-18-2022 | 09:17 PM
Instructor

Not exactly... if you disable auto DST, you'll only have to manually change it twice per year (spring and fall when we actually have DST changes). If you leave auto DST enabled, you'll have to change it four times per year (when we actually have DST changes, and when GPS thinks we have DST changes):
1) Is DST, but clock thinks it isn't (like right now), manually set +1
2) Not DST, and the clock also doesn't think it is (will happen in a couple months), manually set -1
3) Not DST, and but the clock thinks it is (will happen shortly after #2), manually set -1
4) Is DST, and the clock thinks it is (will happen about 6 months after #2), manually set +1

DogP
Old 08-19-2022 | 06:00 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

Originally Posted by DogP
Not exactly... if you disable auto DST, you'll only have to manually change it twice per year (spring and fall when we actually have DST changes). If you leave auto DST enabled, you'll have to change it four times per year (when we actually have DST changes, and when GPS thinks we have DST changes):
1) Is DST, but clock thinks it isn't (like right now), manually set +1
2) Not DST, and the clock also doesn't think it is (will happen in a couple months), manually set -1
3) Not DST, and but the clock thinks it is (will happen shortly after #2), manually set -1
4) Is DST, and the clock thinks it is (will happen about 6 months after #2), manually set +1

DogP
Does this apply to your modified files? Because that's what's currently configured on mine.
Old 08-20-2022 | 02:31 AM
Instructor

Does this apply to your modified files? Because that's what's currently configured on mine.
Yes, the modified files add exactly 20 years, so the month and day are still wrong. Therefore, it'll still change based on when it thinks it's Spring/Fall, which isn't actual Spring/Fall.

DogP
Old 08-20-2022 | 04:14 AM
Pro

Can I just say that during this entire debacle DogP has been incredibly helpful and informative. I didn't apply any of his work and just decided to run it out until August 17th (just wasn't a huge priority...annoying though yes so I just did the hvac button resets every 1-2 weeks) but I oddly feel like I learned some things during all this. I'm probably excluding some guys here but always look forward to his posts on this silly situation.

Thanks bud for the time and effort helping this community...
The following 3 users liked this post by jeffstlnote:
DMZ (09-03-2022), pohljm (09-03-2022), Will Y. (08-24-2022)
Old 09-02-2022 | 03:04 PM
Drifting

Fixed but I had to increment the clock forward 1 hour and DST is enabled and set properly with GPS time enabled. So who knows why.. haha. Whatever.

what kind of technology goes out and updates the programming anyway? How do they connect to my car?

Last edited by Chad05TL; 09-02-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2022 | 06:59 AM
Instructor

Fixed mine a few weeks ago. The only thing was I get the DVD error like 50 percent of the time so when that happens I can’t set the time.
Old 10-10-2022 | 01:42 PM
Advanced

What DVD error are you talking about? I couldn't use DogP's fix the calendar/time DVD, kept getting a disk read error near the end of the process - is that what you mean?
Old 10-10-2022 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ex_hacker202
What DVD error are you talking about? I couldn't use DogP's fix the calendar/time DVD, kept getting a disk read error near the end of the process - is that what you mean?
Yeah that’s what I’m talking about. Honestly, I can’t remember what it says because I’m always driving when I get the error haha. But what you’re describing is what happens.
Old 10-11-2022 | 03:50 PM
Advanced

That only happens when I try to update the calendar with the special DVD - you shouldn't be getting errors once the map DVD is back in the unit - sounds like your unit is going bad. After my original croaked, I bought two on Ebay, one as a spare, can't change any settings w/o a functioning NAV unit. There aren't many left on Ebay for 2005-2008 model years (< 10), so if anyone thinks they may need one better buy one quick.
Old 10-11-2022 | 05:01 PM
Instructor

That only happens when I try to update the calendar with the special DVD - you shouldn't be getting errors once the map DVD is back in the unit - sounds like your unit is going bad. After my original croaked, I bought two on Ebay, one as a spare, can't change any settings w/o a functioning NAV unit. There aren't many left on Ebay for 2005-2008 model years (< 10), so if anyone thinks they may need one better buy one quick.
Yeah I’m sure it’s going bad…I just don’t even really use it. The audio functions still work so I’m cool with it. I think I’d rather put that money into a new head unit that integrates with my phone. This is future plans though. I’m tapped out on spending money on the car for this year.
Old 10-12-2022 | 12:43 PM
Advanced

Your choice, but I'm trying to point out that ANY setting that's accessed via the NAV display in the dash will be unavailable if the NAV unit goes bad - you literally cannot do anything but change the temp (but not fan settings) - you can only choose radio/SXM stations if they're preloaded to one of the 6 buttons under the display. A broken NAV unit completely cripples most functions. Mine broke during a heat wave, and not being able to change fan and vent settings drove me nuts - sweated like a pig with AC on because the fan speed was too slow and I couldn't increase it.
Old 10-12-2022 | 03:28 PM
Instructor

Ohhhh yeah that's not what I was thinking. I guess I haven't had any issues like that yet. When I get the error, my navigation just doesn't work. I can still use the unit for everything else.
Old 10-22-2022 | 04:50 PM
Advanced

haveyou?

Originally Posted by DMZ
So did mine after I had to manually set it.

have you or anyone else running AngryDads Honda hack gone and checked all those extras, after the "clock hour only" fixed itself?

In mine, the sun position indicator has for a couple years been naturally is off... it thinks its Feb of 02... when the sun is on the horizon when mid summer and sun overhead. Also, comparing to my handheld GPS that can show individual sat locations, the sat positions are off. It does eventually cling to them. Which makes me start to think the clock problem is part of my occassional WRONG PLACEMENT ON THE MAP problem I get now and then... (suddenly Im driving the opposite way on the hwy, then frozen miles back, then suddenly back in the right spot). I think I asked this in a thread a year or so ago but got no answer...i still wonder if its related.

This is why I worry a CALENDAR DATE issue that still is ongoing, might cause other issues we arent aware of yet.

An update: I had hoped it would clear up since the Aug. clock date thing, but hasnt. If I wait a few months usually I dont have to write about something one way or another, it 'clears up'... in this case it hasnt yet, or if ever:
I have now a constant, not periodic, Nav Disc Read Error thing off the main screen, so the main Nav doesnt get to occassionally show me miles away from my actual location any more, the screen blanks out after the error warning and goes black.

I have to hit radio buttons to bring up anything on the screen, and the info button for the AD hack options like real time fuel consumption or the tech check and A/C visual controls near the bottom of the choices.
IF the disc reads ever again (its fine reading the homemade AD hack disc so who the f knows whats going on), maybe I have to be wary of where it thinks the car is GPS wise.... until then its blank screen and AD disc loading of his hack i guess
Old 11-21-2022 | 01:31 PM
Advanced

anyone yet?

not really off topic, just shows how out of touch I am on it, but has anyone tried these updates and tricks via the PCMCIA card tech slot in the trunk DVD Nav player?
Not sure what format you could ghost on those things or if it would fake out the device to think it was a Nav card or a hack from AngryDad or others on Acurazine.
I went to try myself yrs ago and found the PCMCIA I had was pitiful small capacity, and a PCMCIA card adapter to use more modern smaller mem cards wasnt recognized by the unit.
I expect its still the same "cant use it for anything" situation?
The following users liked this post:
tlmailman (04-05-2023)
Old 01-25-2024 | 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by B Sc
I went to try myself yrs ago and found the PCMCIA I had was pitiful small capacity, and a PCMCIA card adapter to use more modern smaller mem cards wasnt recognized by the unit.
I expect its still the same "cant use it for anything" situation?
Before I removed my old failing NAV unit I bought a PCMCIA card so I could transfer the saved addresses from my old unit to the replacement unit - not sure if I bought a PC card or an adapter to use a Compact Flash card as a PC card, and it worked - saved my life, had >100 addresses in the old unit. Just went to a drawer where I store all spare parts for my 2005 RL but couldn't find any kind of card - I wonder if it's still in the replacement unit? I don't remember the commands for how to copy stuff to the card either - I'm sure I found the directions somewhere on this website but can't find them at the moment - wait, this might be how I did it, can't confirm it worked though:

Press and hold "map/guide", "cancel", and "menu" simultaneously for several seconds and you will access the Nav setup screen

A word of warning for those with old 2G RLs - getting to the NAV unit to replace it in the trunk is a royal PITA and I partly wrecked my trunk liner replacing it - there were 16 yr old plastic "tree" clips holding the cardboard/carpet trunk liner to the body of the car and of course they all snapped off when I pulled back the carpet to get to the NAV bolts. I also left the liner pulled out for a week or so while I messed around with stuff - perhaps like putting the old bad NAV unit back in so I could use the PC card to transfer addresses - had to swap NAV units 3 times - that permanently distorted the liner so now I can't stick it under the lip of the trunk and make it stay there (impossible to replace the broken plastic clips). It stinks, trunk now looks shabby, but nobody but me ever looks in there so I just decided to live with it.

To summarize, you can definitely use the PCMCIA slot and card to transfer addresses - sorry I can't tell you exactly what I bought from Amazon - my account got hacked and I had to create a new one so I lost all old purchase history.