Navi Consistently off 100', Navi Diagnostic Menu

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:56 AM
Over Caffeinated

Navi Consistently off 100', Navi Diagnostic Menu

I did a search and checked out the entry noted in the 3G Garage, but didn't find any real answers.

My Navi is pretty consistently 'off' maybe 100' with respect to cross roads. It *might* be off laterally too, but the "snap to road traveled" would mask that.

I tried the 'adjust vehicle location' option in menu option 4 (I think that's the option), but it seems to have mixed results and doesn't seem to 'stick'.

I saw a reference in a thread "your Navi needs to be recalibrated, you can do it if you know how" - of course no explanation of calibration was offered nor a reference.

There were also references to metalic tint mucking up the Navi. There's tint on the rear glass from the previous owner. I have no idea if it's metalic or not - can you tell by examining the tint? However, the Navi does not seem to have any issue locking onto the satellites, so I don't think that's an issue.

And please no "the gov't/military degrades GPS signals for civilians". SA (Selective Availability) has been turned off for years.

Any answers or suggestions?

Also, in the Navi diagnostic menu there's an option for VSP/set pulse count/manual/auto "thingy". I've seen references to the YAW position setting and what it's about, but nothing on VSP. I'm thinking this is related to the vehicle speed and it's relationship to the Navi. Other threads have stated that the Navi uses inertial sensors most of the time instead of calculating position using the GPS signals - this seems really stupid to me. I could see using inertia if the GPS signals were lost (as in a garage)... so I wonder if this is really true.

Does anyone know anything about the VSP setting?

I'm generally disappointed that the Navi is inferior to the $225 Magellan Roadtrip 3100 that I have in my Ford Explorer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Steve
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:32 PM
Over Caffeinated

VSP Setting Experimentation

Just to follow up on myself - I threw caution to the wind and took the VSP setting out of automatic.

On my car, the VSP setting was "4".

When I set it to "5", the Navi display indicated I was traveling way faster than reality.

When I set it to "3", the Navi display indicated I was traveling way slower than reality.

Looks like 4 is 'correct'.

I still have it in manual mode - for no particular reason than experimentation.

Steve
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

isn't the nav ant on the roof? if so, tint won't do anything to it.........

I have a CL with tint all around and it does not interfere with the garmin unit at all
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:51 PM
Over Caffeinated

Not positive on the antenna location for the Navi/GPS. "They" say it's below the rear deck. My understanding is the roof 'bump' is only for the XM antenna.

Steve
Old 09-09-2008 | 03:31 PM
Over Caffeinated

Bump...

No comments, insights, suggestions??????
Old 09-09-2008 | 03:38 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

The GPS antenna is somewhere inside the car on the rear deck. Hence the warnings about metallic tint.

I have no idea how to help on the other issues. Just wanted to confirm that the GPS antenna is not on the roof.
Old 09-11-2008 | 04:01 PM
Over Caffeinated

Navi Location Error Fixed?

I may have fixed this. I used the 'clear memory' function under the diagnostic menu. When I selected this function, the Navi sat there for maybe 15 seconds and then rebooted. I'm not sure what memory was cleared, but I did not lose my "OK button hack".

After the reboot, the current positioning of the car on the map seems much more accurate. Not perfect, but closer than it was.

I have no idea why clearing the memory improved things.

Steve
Old 09-11-2008 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sr1sws
I may have fixed this. I used the 'clear memory' function under the diagnostic menu. When I selected this function, the Navi sat there for maybe 15 seconds and then rebooted. I'm not sure what memory was cleared, but I did not lose my "OK button hack".

After the reboot, the current positioning of the car on the map seems much more accurate. Not perfect, but closer than it was.

I have no idea why clearing the memory improved things.

Steve
all the adjustments made from the user calibration in the settings option were erased...
Old 09-12-2008 | 03:07 AM
Safety Car

\

you're not alone in the matter - my navigation's RETARDED. i'll have to try clearing the memory - but i'm pretty sure my navi's off because of the tint...
Old 09-12-2008 | 12:53 PM
Advanced

I was told, but I never looked into it, that the yaw settings, were to help calibrate the VSA. If you are to mess with it to much you might make changes that would caused the car to become unstable in certain conditions. I have watched the screen while driving, stopping and corner. The percentages seem to change with the vehicle. However, I am not 100% sure about this.