My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few similar products out there. That one does look kinda cool.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah,
It looks like it fits right next to the power socket in the lowest dash compartment.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

I doubt that. The lowest compartment is really very small.

You can see the difference between the two compartments here.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Dimensions:

Length: 5.12 "
Height: 0.79 "
Width: 3.15 "

The upper cubby is exactly the size of one CD case...
4 7/8 x 5 1/2...

It woudl JUST BARELY fit in the upper cubby without wires. Wires plugged in, it would stick forward and the door would not shut... Dremel again.

Originally Posted by datmrman

Old 07-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You guys can tell how much I use the lowest cubby area… slim to none that I didn’t even realize that it was that shallow… (thanks Datmrman for your clarification)....

however, it should fit width wise in the lower cubby area… since you would have to modify it (dremel the back) and attach the unit with Velcro.... So it can be easily removed, then updated and reinstalled…

Old 07-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
WHOOHOO!! I'll be ordering mine now How big is it?
Its actually bigger than I had hoped. Its around 1.5" long and 1" wide. I opened it up to see if the circuit could be replicated and guess what? There is no circuit, all it is, is one IR transistor soldered straight onto the stereo plug leads. This thing could be easily made but Im not sure what part number the transistor is. I will look again when I go to mount it. I am probably going to retrofit the transistor into something a little smaller or flushmount it to the plate I made for the PIE selector.

Other than that its great. 24.99 plus shipping. Plug n play!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got mine from here: Gefen IR Extender

$27.31 shipped via USPS.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ doh http://cgi.ebay.com/iRiver-H100-iGP1...QQcmdZViewItem

it works ppl got mine today! woot!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My install has begun!

Its only 100 deg outside right now

Got the car taken apart tonight after work. I am going to get up bright and early to start installing stuff.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

^ wow, what else are you installing? i've just gotta take my console out, and run the ir and im gooood
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

i think he's installing everything. Malayalee, so the adapter you bought works? If so, i'll link my friend to it. I pointed him to the archos adapter that i bought off amazon. It was only about $23.00.$12 is a much better price hahah.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

^ yup, i just got it today!i wasnt goign to check my mail but i said "what the hell" and it was there lol. i checked it, its good, the part that plugs into unit isnt as snug as the normal wall adapter but it works
Old 07-28-2006, 11:44 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Malayalee King
^ doh http://cgi.ebay.com/iRiver-H100-iGP1...QQcmdZViewItem

it works ppl got mine today! woot!
weird. I bought the same iriver car adapter from the same ebay seller and when I plug mine into AVOX unit, it doesn't seems to provide enough power to boot up the drive. The red light stay lite and doesn't go off, then i heard this hard drive head noises. (usually it will go off after it first got power)

then i bought a PSP car adapter from amazon seller (game-essentials) for only $3.50 shipped and when i try that it works, however, after a few minutes, it seems to auto power off or not able to provide enough power, because i heard the same hard drive head noises.

not too happy about this - now i'm still stuck with the power inventor which i have to hold power button to turn it on each time i start the car..
Old 07-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

That eBay link is not for the real iRiver adapter. It's generic. I think lembowski bought the same one and had issues just as waacow mentioned. The adapter does not provide enough power to boot the drive.

I would stay away from generic products especially when it comes to powering fancy electronic equipment.

Good luck with the install FADE! Looking forward to seeing why you removed the driver's air vent.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

For those still lookin' for a solid power adapter, check this:

Archos Power Adapter (Yes, it WORKS!)

scroll down to "new" and buy the one from techno_chuck. I bought that one and it works! Also, he shipped it right away.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Thread Necromancer

Update!

I am sweating my balls off!

I got all the stuff hooked up and it all looks like it is working to me. Now I have to hide stuff and put the car back together. I have been taking pics here and there. When I get it all done I will post some.

Time to go back into the heat
Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

crap! the ebay one didnt work! i tried it out fully today....

i finally said eff it and ran it to the power inverter for now until i get the xm or archos adapter -- still waiting on IR adapater heh

got some quick vid but i have to figure out how to compress it -- i havent xvid/divxd anything for a long time since isos and dual layer burners haha
Old 07-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Thread Necromancer

Got it all in!!!

Looks good. I think I had a heat issue with the Avox. But I got the floor vent on it now and it seams to be working.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Thread Necromancer

Ok, I took a test drive and I now have noticed that I have allot of nasty noise on the I-pod channel of the X3. The other channels are very quiet. So it has got to be the Blitsafe I-pod interface that is making all the noise. I am going to move my add a circuit to a different constant power source and see if that helps. I know the ground is good because I ran it to the back and grounded it with all the stuff in the trunk to the factory ground. I taped power off of the dash cigarette lighter socket. So the only other thing it could be is I have some how nicked one of the rca cables. That would suck because I will have to take the dash apart again to fix it. I guess I will just have to live with it for a few weeks till I have time to mess with it again. 3 days till I go to Quakecon!!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Nice install Where did you mount the player?

Originally Posted by FADE
Got it all in!!!

Looks good. I think I had a heat issue with the Avox. But I got the floor vent on it now and it seams to be working.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Advanced

3 days till I go to Quakecon!!!!!

Participating or observing?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Thread Necromancer

Originally Posted by axiom
Nice install Where did you mount the player?
It is under the passenger seat right in front of the floor a/c vent
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Thread Necromancer

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
Participating or observing?
I will be helping set up, working registration, in the b.y.o.c. , and I have a press pass this year. It’s going to be a lot of fun. I go every year.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Thread Necromancer

That eBay link is not for the real iRiver adapter. It's generic. I think lembowski bought the same one and had issues just as waacow mentioned. The adapter does not provide enough power to boot the drive.

I would stay away from generic products especially when it comes to powering fancy electronic equipment.

Good luck with the install FADE! Looking forward to seeing why you removed the driver's air vent.
That was so I could install the DVD switch that DDC made for me. I have had it for months, been itching to see it in action. It works great and looks stock. I highly recommend anyone doing one of these installs give him a pm to get one.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
OK,
I'm convinced. I ordered one of these untis from newegg as well. Just loaded it up with 100GB of mp3 files.

I have a question about operations though.

The way my files are organized, (by artisit), the media browser resets to the beginning of the list every time. I have almost 400 individual artists. If I want to listen to "Motorhead", I have to hit and or hold the scroll button almost 200 times.

Once I listen to that song, and "up one directory back, it starts back at the A's again.

1) Is there ay way to PAGE through the directory structure?

2) or is there a way to better organize them?

The unit's really neat, but with the volume of data I have I'm concerned it's going to be too difficult to use.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Thread Necromancer

I agree the mp3 operation is a pain in the ass, thats why I put a dock for my I-Pod in. I am just going to have pics and movies on mine. Maybe we will get some firmware to fix this one day.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

I agree the mp3 operation is a pain in the ass, thats why I put a dock for my I-Pod in. I am just going to have pics and movies on mine. Maybe we will get some firmware to fix this one day.
I am doing the same approach with FADE.. use Ipod for my music then use AVOX/Mediagate for the movies and pics.

Regarding page up/down, try the "Fast forward or next track botton", in the file listing, that button will work as page down, not sure about in directory view, should work the same way.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

That was so I could install the DVD switch that DDC made for me.
Interesting. If you removed the whole VSA panel, then you wouldn't have to remove the driver's air vent right? I am assuming you removed the air vent to access the wires since you didnt remove the VSA panel?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kennedy
The way my files are organized, (by artisit), the media browser resets to the beginning of the list every time. I have almost 400 individual artists. If I want to listen to "Motorhead", I have to hit and or hold the scroll button almost 200 times.

Once I listen to that song, and "up one directory back, it starts back at the A's again.

1) Is there ay way to PAGE through the directory structure?

2) or is there a way to better organize them?
1) I agree with waacow about using the Next/Prev buttons.

2) See this post I created in ZeroWiz's thread on how I am organizing my files.
I thought you were all over this thread Kennedy.

There is a RESUME function, which might require the most recent firmware (from AL Tech). To activate this feature, just press stop on the media you are currently playing (video or music) and then turn the sytem off. The next time you boot it up, it will ask you if you want to resume the current file, go to that same folder, or start fresh.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

I like how you've mounted the PIE X3. Someone's toe nails needs a clipping though.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Thread Necromancer

I like how you've mounted the PIE X3. Someone's toe nails needs a clipping though.
Ha-ha Yeah I noticed that myself when I looked at the pictures.

I cut a piece of mdf to size and mounted the Pie-x3 controller to it, took the top off the top pocket and screwed in some L brackets. The plate is attached with Velcro.

If you take the air vent out the VSA switch is right there, you just have to reach in and pop out the blank and the VSA switch. To hook up DCC switch you need to use vampire taps on the VSA switch to get the power for the light. A lot easier to pull the air vent out than take the dash apart. The Air vent just pops out, and back in.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Advanced

I will be helping set up, working registration, in the b.y.o.c. , and I have a press pass this year. It’s going to be a lot of fun. I go every year.

Press pass? You lucky dog. Say hi to Fatal1ty for me, and tell him I pwn him at Unreal, lol.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Racer

Ok,

After reading all these pages I can’t remember page 1 anymore, lol... Anyway I just want to confirm, I should be able to use different firmware on these from the different manufactures or in this case re-brands?

Also do ALL of the 2.5 models have the IR port or only some branded ones? If only some please provide.

I want to order this things ASAP but see all these brands/models and different prices and don’t know which to get. I want to make sure I can use the best firmware on it and have IR port but prefer one of them silver & black or aluminum/black ones.

My car is Black/Aluminum trim so I think that wouldn’t look so bad in the car, and those ones don’t seem to have all that extra writing on the cover.

But please post about me few questions if you know,

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Ok,

After reading all these pages I can’t remember page 1 anymore, lol... Anyway I just want to confirm, I should be able to use different firmware on these from the different manufactures or in this case re-brands?

Also do ALL of the 2.5 models have the IR port or only some branded ones? If only some please provide.

I want to order this things ASAP but see all these brands/models and different prices and don’t know which to get. I want to make sure I can use the best firmware on it and have IR port but prefer one of them silver & black or aluminum/black ones.

My car is Black/Aluminum trim so I think that wouldn’t look so bad in the car, and those ones don’t seem to have all that extra writing on the cover.

But please post about me few questions if you know,

Thanks!

I know that the AVOX Jukebox, model AVX-100TX, available from Newegg.com has the IR port. It is also black on black with a little writing on the top. It is firmware upgradeable and I am currently running version 1.4.6. This is the only model I have so its also the only one I can verify.

Also, Datmrman pointed out that the AVOX is the same as the Mediagate MG-25 from AL Tech. Hopefully others will chime in with thier models and firmware versions.

AVOX Jukebox AVX-100TX

AVX-100TX and MG-25 Firmware
Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Racer

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just have to wait to see what everyone else says.

I do see newegg has the other version Click Here

I emailed them to ask but if someone knows and can reply to me would still be great as they may take a bit to get back.

Also as a side note.

I emailed the manufacture (the real ones) and asked "What's the difference between the MG-25 and MG-25N?"

This is what I got back:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes both has same specs and performance. the design different only.

So I reply back again to ask whats diffrent with the design as they look the same.

We shall see... Also, anyone know where to get there design thats in stock? I like how they look, then again would run into the IR question with that also... lol

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Thread Necromancer

I have the Avox but I am using the Mediagate firmware. The stock Avox didnt play .iso files.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just have to wait to see what everyone else says.

I do see newegg has the other version Click Here

I emailed them to ask but if someone knows and can reply to me would still be great as they may take a bit to get back.

Also as a side note.

I emailed the manufacture (the real ones) and asked "What's the difference between the MG-25 and MG-25N?"

This is what I got back:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes both has same specs and performance. the design different only.

So I reply back again to ask whats diffrent with the design as they look the same.

We shall see... Also, anyone know where to get there design thats in stock? I like how they look, then again would run into the IR question with that also... lol

Thanks!
This is to update about the MG-25N, they responded back saying that they are both the same, and just the face plate is diffrent... The US dealer who uses them (not rebranded) is anyware computer accessories... So anyware is the brand that they use for the US...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

it just hit me -- no WMV...time to re-encode my thatvideosite folder lolz

IR should be here tomorrow, and power was ordered today

has anyone cracked open the lighter adapter and tapped it into something that turns on with the car -- like windows or something?

i think i may do this.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Safety Car

BigB2k5,

First, make sure you read this post.

I have yet to see the Mediagate MG-25N. I know its on the AL Tech website, but I have not seen it being sold anywhere.

The link you posted is for the Anyware HD-MG-25, which I believe Crook is currently using. He got his at Walmart. It looks like it is based on the MG-25P since it also has an IR extension port.

Basically, there are many rebrands on this drive and they run almost around the same price. I have a strong feeling that any of the rebrands will also run the original AL Tech firmware, which is usually the latest. A majority of members are running the Vantec AVOX. I can count about six off the top of my head. You can stick to what is known to work or go out and try a different rebrand. Just make sure it has all the features you want. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BigB2k5,
Yes, I did get mine from Walmart (online) and the packaging/box is exactly the same as the one Newegg is selling. I have not hear of that brand, "Anyware".

It has a silver finish and it only says, "Portable Mpeg4 Player" on the top. It works fine with all firmware and does have the IR input on the rear. At least now I have an idea what brand it may be.

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P