My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P

I've been getting a few PMs about this and I think I might as well post the info since it will be beneficial to a few members on here that are also starting their Dom installs.

I wanted MP3 and video support and I don't have a massive DVD collection so a DVD player was out. A carputer for me is just too much. So... introducing the Mediagate MG-25.

More details from the manufacturer.

What is it?!
It is basically a USB 2.0 2.5" (Laptop) hard drive enclosure that has the ability to play music, video, and pictures straight from a hard drive without the need for another device other than a video screen with RCA inputs.

Here is a snippet of the features:
Media support: MPEG 1, 2, 4 (MPG, MPEG, AVI, M2V, VOB, etc), XviD / MP3, OGG Voris, WMA / JPEG(JPG)
Video Output: Composite, S-Video, Component video output / 480p, 720p, 1080i progressive scan
Audio Output: Audio Stereo L-R / Coaxial Digital Output / 5.1Ch (DTS, AC3)
Operating System Support: Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP, MAC 9.0 higher Linux 2.4 higher
Power Input: 5V/2A

What does that mean?
Basically, once you buy this enclosure, you can insert into it a 2.5" hard drive of your choice (I am going with Hitachi 80 GB ATA-6 5400 rpm), connect it to your computer via the provided USB cable, drag and drop your media files onto the drive, and play it virtually anywhere!

I am not actually going with this model.

AirLink Tech (aka AL Tech) is the Korean company that the drive is originally from, but it has been rebranded by a few other companies such as: LG, Vantec, AOC, etc. All the same device with a slightly different look.

I have purchased the Vantec AVOX AVX-100TX:

Reasons: Its black and it will be better hidden in the TL. It is based on the MG-25P which has a smaller card like remote versus the full sized remote.

Since AL Tech is the original manufacturer, they keep the most updated firmware with the latest features. Vantec only has one firmware posted on their site. The good news though, is that the firmware are compatible (at least AL Tech and Vantec). I have tested and confirm this by flashing both company's firmware on the AVOX. The splash screen of the Vantec looks nicer and their branding is in the menu screens, but other than that, they look identical. The AL Tech firmware is newer and has added features like resume from the last state.

Where can I pick up one?
eBay: eWaggle currently sells the original MG-25P on there.
online:local: Fry's Electronics

Some stores bundle the enclosure with a drive. You just select the size package. The cheapest I have seen for the enclosure only is $79.99 online. I bought the enclosure and the 80GB hard drive from newegg. They are in LA, so I ordered online in the morning, package arrived to my door the following day.

How will it work with the 3G TL?
It fits in the top compartment under the dash. If you don't mind leaving the door open, then you are set. I plan on taking the compartment apart and making cut-outs in the rear so the enclosure is flushed in so I can close the door.

Other possible locations include in the top center storage bin, under driver's seat, under passenger seat, glove box, and basically anywhere else if you add the optional IR extender cable.

Powering the device. The site states there is an optional car accessory you can buy, but they dont list where. I've found it, but I think its overpriced. iRiver sells a car adapter for their portable devices (one of which I also have ). This works.

For those that want to use 3.5" hard drives (regular desktop size) check out the MG-35. Its pretty awesome as well. I have that too. What can I say? I'm a hi-tech junkie.

This won't fit in the top compartment, but it still requires 5V/2A to power and I believe it should fit in the glove box.

I have been planning my install and it should be done within the next few weeks. I will post the outcome. Until then, I hope this adds an alternative to the traditional DVD player.

PS. Excuse me for any spelling errors and typos. It was a lot to write.

Edit: The final installation can be viewed in this thread: TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed
Old 06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

The iRiver link didn't work as intended.

Edit by datmrman
------------------------
Summary of Optional Equipment (for Car Installation)

Car Adapters That Work (5V/2A):
iRiver ICJ-100 car adapter for use with iRiver H100 Series / H10-5GB/6GB/20GB / iGP / PMP players. [picture]

Archos Car Lighter Adapter

Belkin XM Car Power Adapter (F5X005) (requires additional adapter) [picture]

Sony PSP car adapter [picture]

For the IR extender (3.5mm stereo plug) :
Official AL Tech MG-25P IR Extender

Gefen IR Extender [picture]

IR sensors pulled from retail car DVD boxes (Quasar, Myron & Davis)
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Team Athracite Physician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! I'll have to check the local Fry's (Anaheim, Industry, FV) - good for trying it out without committing

I had over 2000 movies burned in DIVX format but I switched over to standard DVD-5 and DVD-9 since they didn't look good upconverted to 1080i.

I wonder if this thing can play ripped Video_TS directories off of DVDs. If it could I would just buy a 500GB PATA and pop it into the 3.5 enclosure and drop that under the front passenger seat

Nice write-up - must have taken a while to type that out
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I look forward to helping with the install, damn it wendy is out of the cameras for 2 weeks!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by colossus
Cool! I'll have to check the local Fry's (Anaheim, Industry, FV) - good for trying it out without committing

I had over 2000 movies burned in DIVX format but I switched over to standard DVD-5 and DVD-9 since they didn't look good upconverted to 1080i.

I wonder if this thing can play ripped Video_TS directories off of DVDs. If it could I would just buy a 500GB PATA and pop it into the 3.5 enclosure and drop that under the front passenger seat

Nice write-up - must have taken a while to type that out
Beat you to it. The Fry's in Anaheim (the one off the 405) has a lot of them in stock at $119.

If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder, this thing will play it! Just like a DVD, even with the DVD menus.

The writeup took some time, but I think its all worth it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Good find!!!! I can't wait to read the writeup about how it works in your ride!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Thats' really neat...
Old 06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
6speed NBP

Pics of it working please
Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Sucks that the remote is IR... Gotta have line of sight to control it. You'll probably have to remote the sensor.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Instructor

screenshots of the interface please.

specifically mp3 library navigation. Is it easy to use while driving?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

I have been testing it. Not in the car though since I don't have Dom installed yet. But I know it works with the iRiver car adapter.

The interface is ok. No equilizer for the MP3. You basically see a directory listing of the mp3 files.

Here are some screenshots: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...AVOX/Page4.htm

I will see if I can post additional screenshots for you later on tonight or tomorrow.

So far I've tested XviD and DviX avi files with smi subtitles, mp3, jpg, DVD IFO. They all work so far.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

There is a plug in the back for an external IR receiver. I haven't looked into it, but I think it should be okay without it.

Just a note for mp3, it does support some type of playlist. I'm not sure if its m3u, but if it doesn't I'm sure it will in later firmware releases. I will still need to test that. I officially received the enclosure and drive last night.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:34 PM
10th Gear

If this works like the MediaGate MG-35 then it will play ISO files.
I have a bunch these hooked up in my house.
Just rip the DVD and then convert it to a ISO file.
It will play just like the original DVD without all the .TS, .VOB files etc.
This thing is pretty cool for DVDs.
Playing MP3s?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Trucki!!

If this all works out for you chris I'm gonna sell the ipod video my parents sent me for my birthday to get this as my sort of dvd player. I still like my ipod nano for songs......but this might ween me off of that.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Datmrman,

very nice find...can't wait for you to install it (w/ a diy of course!) so we can see how it performs!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Trucki!!

Chis by the way your a post whore.......you some how made 200+ posts in 2 weeks making your average post count to 6 1/2 a day........looooser
Old 06-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Safety Car

Thanks guys for the comments... except for lembowski's last post.

Originally Posted by lembowski
Chis by the way your a post whore.......you some how made 200+ posts in 2 weeks making your average post count to 6 1/2 a day........looooser
I try to contribute with helpful posts.

Anywho, I've been testing this device by plugging it via RCA to my computer (ATi All-In-Wonder video card). Here are some snapshots I took today.

The splash screen of the AVOX firmware :

The splash screen of the AL Tech firmware :

Boot up is very quick. I say less than 30 seconds? I haven't timed it. I've decided to stick with the AL Tech firmware, since it has the newest features.

Here is a better screenshot of what it looks like when playing MP3s:

I've blurred out the filenames to protect myself from other members' criticizm (like lembowski) , but as you can see, the mp3 files are listed in a directory file structure with a bar and time indicators. Nothing too fancy, which is kinda good since it wont distract me when I'm driving. You can navigate the folder while a song is still playing, which is nice.

BTW: This device works with drives with multiple partitions. I've tested this by placing my laptop's hard drive in the enclosure.

Now some shots of the tentative "mounting" location in my car.

The device is very portable.

It looks snug in the top compartment. Even without any cables connected to the device, the compartment door will not close.

Here is a shot of the space left over.

Here are my plans:
  • Make a rectangular cut-out in the back of the top compartment to allow the device to slide back farther (even with the power and A/V cables connected)
  • Add an additional cig adapter/power outlet in the lower compartment that is located in the back. I will plug the iRiver car adapter into this new outlet so that it will be concealed in the back of the lower compartment, but still accessible if I need to unplug it.
  • Run RCA cables also to the lower compartment and connect it to an RCA coupler:

This will allow me to disconnect this and connect any other device to Dom in the future without stressing out the RCA cables that will require my to disassemble the console to replace.
  • Holes will be created in between the top and bottom compartments so that I can run the power and RCA cables.

Final result will look like this :

Everything concealed.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WakBlak
If this works like the MediaGate MG-35 then it will play ISO files.
I believe I've read that the AL Tech firmware will allow you to do this, but not the Vantec firmware; at least not yet. I'll test that out next time.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone offer an audio interface that will integrate with our 5.1?

Also, i take it the remote is RF?
When you want to power it on, you just hit the power button on the remote, or do you give 12v to the player?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

That is very cool. I wonder if they'll be coming out with a WiFi version. That would really be hot!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by datmrman
I believe I've read that the AL Tech firmware will allow you to do this, but not the Vantec firmware; at least not yet. I'll test that out next time.

Damn you and your tech habit

If the MG25/35 play ISO I'm definitely in. It takes about 5 minutes to rip a DVD - I could just dump about 100 movies and a 1K songs and be set for a road trip to Chile

I was in a hurry today when I went to Frys and forgot to check the MGs. Do you think it would be possible to easily mount a MG35 under the passenger seat and still get the necessary cables to where they need to go without ripping up carpet?

And all I wanted was a backup camera
Old 06-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
Also, i take it the remote is RF?
When you want to power it on, you just hit the power button on the remote, or do you give 12v to the player?
The remote is IR.

All controls are done via remote including turning the unit on and off.

Originally Posted by VtecMW
That is very cool. I wonder if they'll be coming out with a WiFi version. That would really be hot!
On the AL Tech website, there is a MG-25N, which suggests it is a networked device, though I haven't done much research on it.

The MG-35 for 3.5" has a wireless network version: MG-350HD

Originally Posted by colossus
I was in a hurry today when I went to Frys and forgot to check the MGs. Do you think it would be possible to easily mount a MG35 under the passenger seat and still get the necessary cables to where they need to go without ripping up carpet?
You don't need to rip up carpet, but you need to remove the rear passenger seats to run the wires under the carpet. A problem I can see with the MG-35 under the passenger seat is the IR remote. The range of the remote is short and I'm not sure if the signals from the remote will reach the device under the seat. This is a reason why I've decided on the MG-25. Since it fits in the upper compartment, it is located in a convenient line of sight for the remote. The workaround, of course, is to find the optional external IR receiver to mount wherever you please.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:05 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
holy crap!

bye bye carputer plans

the main reason i wanted to do a carputer tho was so i could remote start my car and drag and drop cars to my car share

UPDATE: o...m...g http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg350.htm

i am def doing this. sweet.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Pro

im so getting this thing! only problem is i have a Eclipse AVN-30D navigation unit and it doesnt have RCA's to add an say.... DVD player or anything.... what do i do? theres def a solution to add rca's.... i just need to know it! thanks for any help!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by copy252
im so getting this thing! only problem is i have a Eclipse AVN-30D navigation unit and it doesnt have RCA's to add an say.... DVD player or anything.... what do i do? theres def a solution to add rca's.... i just need to know it! thanks for any help!
Maybe you should contact Dominic of TVandNav2Go.com and ask him if any of his units will work for you. Contacting Eclipse would also be a safe bet.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Safety Car

Concerning DVD ISOs, both the latest Vantec (version 1.3.7) and AL Tech (version 1.4.6) firmware support playing DVD from an ISO file. I've just tested and I can confirm this.

I also played around with the playlist option. No m3u support yet, but you can create your own playlist with the player. Unfortunately, the playlist doesn't get saved when you turn off the player. I guess the work around is to organize songs into folders.

UrbanGiraffe has a good indepth review on the device. A good read for anyone that is seriously looking into adding this to their car.

Just FYI, I found out the device runs on uClinux (page 7 of UrbanGiraffe review). Where are all the Linux developers?!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you are a PREMISCUOUS BOY datmrman. love the setup. just when i thought I knew what I wanted?!?!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Excellent find

so basically its a video ipod with higher picture quality.

hey does it play media center DVR-MS files?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vandido626
so basically its a video ipod with higher picture quality.
hey does it play media center DVR-MS files?
From an audio perspective, an iPod is great because of ease of use.

From a video and media perspective, the iPod doesn't stand a chance against this thing. It supports so many formats that the iPod IMO will never touch. This includes DVD ISOs, IFO, Ogg vorbis, external subtitles, and 5.1 surround sound. Not to mention the user has the ability to chose the size of the hard drive ( 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 160, etc). It's a lot more flexible than the iPod in this perspective.

I haven't tried media player DVR-MS, but I have a feeling it probably will not work. Its not a popular format as DviX, XviD, and mpeg.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Trucki!!

You know the more I look at it and research it, this is the best solution I think. Is it easy to rip my DVD's onto my computer? I have a DVD burner on my laptop. Getting this would only be $75 more than getting a DVD player and after a while I could save by not buying as many DVD's. And damn you for doing the install without us
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Ripping DVDs? Once you have the right tools, its easy. Hmm.. I'll talk to you more about it at the meet.

Just thought it would be nice to span my install over a couple days, just in case I needed it. Less rush then doing a group install. Once mine is done, I'll help you out with your install.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Trucki!!

Ripping DVDs? Once you have the right tools, its easy. Hmm.. I'll talk to you more about it at the meet.

Just thought it would be nice to span my install over a couple days, just in case I needed it. Less rush then doing a group install. Once mine is done, I'll help you out with your install.
you da man. i just wish I had the $ to get that damn megiagate thing now. All I'm going to be able to install is the DOM and the USA Spec
Old 06-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

I think you should get all the parts and then do the install all at once. It will be a cleaner install and you won't have to keep disassembling your car. Those factory plastic clips don't look like they will last if you keep pulling them out.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Instructor

This thing looks cool. I've never ripped dvds. If you could give some details about what software is good and the differences in formats, it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

You've got PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
does it offer an external IR antenna so u can mount it somewhere else?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
does it offer an external IR antenna so u can mount it somewhere else?
very good question, do they make like usb IR antenna's like this?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Datmrman,
Thanks for exposing your secret device just in time for Father's day. It is by far the most versatile media device (source) for our systems. I think I remember seeing this thing come out a couple of years ago but never knew much about it and didn't give it any thought to trying to install it in a car. I had a Father's Day Walmart gift certificate from which was quickly spent on the MG25. I would have gone with the Vantec from Newegg whom I am loyal to but decided to use the certificate from the in-laws instead.
I noticed that the Vantec has an extra output plug the the Altech is missing. I guess it has an extra option for IR and HD.

Now I only need to get a 12v power wire that will fit and a harddrive. The specs on the power input is 5V/2A. Aftermarket XM radio (RoadyXT) uses the same specs but I'll have to check on the actual plug to see if it's the correct size. I think I need it to be 3mm external and 1mm internal(hole). Could you pull the micrometer out of your shirt pocket and see if thats what your iRiver adapter measures out to?

I'm pretty sure that you're going to get more people interested in "ripping" once they get this thing. Most of the experienced rippers know that they can do it with one or two programs (tools) and it only takes a few minutes as oppose to the hours it took a few years ago. Sure miss the good old days.

Looking forward to your install and testing. Let me know if I could help with any concerns. Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

BrandonClaps, lembowski: There is a plug in the back for an external IR antenna so it is an option. I haven't tried searching to see where you can pick one up though. I found this at the AVSForums.

Crook, nice catch! It looks like the original MG-25 does not have the extra plug for external IR, but the Vantec is based on the MG-25P which does. I just checked out the pictures on eBay from eWaggle.

I'll measure the iRiver connection plugs for you when I get home. I've seen universal car adapters at Radio Shack, but they dont offer 5V. 4.5 V was the closest.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

I'm not having any luck finding a place online that sells the iRiver adapter (model iCJ-100). A google search comes up with a picture that looks like an older version of the adapter. Nothing on eBay. This is how mine looks like:

This is an info I found from a website:
iRiver Car Adapter for H100 series. Works with models PMP-100, H140, H120, H100, iGP-100, H10 5GB series. 5V 2A. 3.5mm barrel connector.

The iRiver website is currently sold out and says this wont be available again until Sept 22, 2006.

Using the term "mediagate car adapter" on google, I was able to find this:
http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id=855

Quick Reply: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P