My custom audio video upgrade install with 3sixty.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
Thanks guys. My Alpine TME-M780 headrest monitors came with a controller box like that, but the stupid thing has only 1 output and I need that for my NAVI screen.

Does the Nesa MVA4 box amplify the signal as well? Can I get this or the Pioneer box Rodney is referring to by itself?

All I need is one more output for a tv I'm getting for the inside of the trunk lid. I'm going to flank it with 2 6 1/2 coaxials.
yeah, it amplifies the signal. the pioneer box comes with the player only compatible with it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Bone stock tl-s

well today i made the custom faceplate for the OEM factory dvd drive. as you guys saw i wanted to make the design symmetrical so it would look nice and even. the 3sixty on one side and the drive on the other, problem was the dvd drive is so boring and plain so here was my idea to make it a little more pleasing to the eye.

i had a local graphics shop cut some revers stickers of what i wanted to display. took a thin piece of plexi and removed one side of the protective film, on the other i drew some guidelines to evenly place the stencil

i used som duplicolor charcoal color spary enamel for the project

let it dry, removed the protective film from the other side flipped it over i got this

this is how it will look on the opposite/passenger side from the 3sixty

originally i was gonna do something with leds to make the letters light up, but went the simpler route, i still might do it though.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if i actually hate you, or if i'm just that damn jealous. haha!

Dude, that looks great. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 AM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jaime, your center channel amp has arrived!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Bone stock tl-s

ok guys i finished the system. here are a few more shots of some of the work i did. including the finished product.

to secure the sub to the enclosure i used these threaded anchors they have spike on one side you hammer into the wood.

hade to shave off one of those spikes cuz it came too close to the edge, i used my trusty dremmel and a cutting wheel

thats more like it!

they stuck up so i took my router and shaved a hair into the wood to allow for a flush mount.

like this

hammered them in and filled any spaces with wood filler paste.

sanded it down and sprayed that stone look texture paint to the front inside part

mirrored the inside walls and attached the 3/4" plexi to the back side

the JL symbols, frames with wire screen stapled on, then wrapped in black breathable cloth

finished running the speaker signal wires i soldered from the stock amp to the 3sixty. under the carpet away from any other wires.

crossovers for the focal KP2 underneath each front seat

every single end was soldered to prevent wires from fraying, going to the crossovers and 3sixty

visor stripped and cut for the mounting of the monitors, added i little bit of foam so the monitors sat flush, they are thin but not that thin.

here a wrapped the whole thing using a very thin piece of foam sprayed some spray adhesive and applied it. ready for the headlinner material

video and power wires ran through the mounting tube for each visor

the vanity light cover useless, wrapped it in headliner material as well

came out nice,

im gonna put another 7" monitor in the rear, i made this custom console out of wood but was not pleased with the outcome so i scratched it for now, gonna give it another try using some fiberglass, then wrap it in black vinyl

i missed a ton of other stuff i did, but after all that here is my finished trunk and set-up

inside with a 1 watt red led

the 3sixty knob

Old 06-14-2009, 02:20 PM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This all looks hideous...I hate it.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice work
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice Work, I like the amp placement and design.

How do you like the HD series amps compared to the older JL series?

How do you trace the contours of the trunk? I know there are a few ways to do it, but how did YOU do it in this install?

Last edited by JerZDevil; 06-15-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by JerZDevil
Nice Work, I like the amp placement and design.

How do you like the HD series amps compared to the older JL series?

How do you trace the contours of the trunk? I know there are a few ways to do it, but how did YOU do it in this install?
i love the HD amps they are lighter smaller more powerfull, and require less power, but the older ones were great also,

for the edges or contours i used cardboard and a hot glue gun, cut a bunch of small 1" slats of thin cardboard, placed one big piece covering the general area, then with the glue gun glued the slats to meet all the edges till i got the pattern i wanted then i just traced it onto the wood. use of the glue gun is a good way cuz it glues and holds it in seconds
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
jptl04: finished running the speaker signal wires i soldered from the stock amp to the 3sixty. under the carpet away from any other wires.
You kept your stock amp? If so, what are you using it for?

Everything looks great as usual btw!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
You kept your stock amp? If so, what are you using it for?

Everything looks great as usual btw!
yep, rockford fosgate recommends that you take the speaker signals after the stock amp to the 3sixty. not gonna disagree with them they make the processor

and thank you.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
absolutely amazing. you are patient, creative and executed it perfectly. I'll go out on a limb and say this isn't your first time doing this.

What do you do for a living? Something that requires patience and meticulousness and attention to final details I would guess.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by rockstar143
absolutely amazing. you are patient, creative and executed it perfectly. I'll go out on a limb and say this isn't your first time doing this.

What do you do for a living? Something that requires patience and meticulousness and attention to final details I would guess.

thank for the compliments.
what do i do for a living? not car audio i just have a bunch of tools that i like to play with. when it comes to my car, and i do something to it i do require myself to have patience, meticulousness and always pay close attention to final details.

this is like my third time building a custom set-up like this

this was my first attempt, felt i could do better

my second attempt. i had this for a few months then my car was totaled. so i didn't have much time to enjoy it

i liked my last set-up so much i did the sub enclosure the same way, the sound was awesome.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM

I can see the logical progression then.

It's funny, I'm 30 now and I'm starting to see the frustration and wasted time I had spent doing things really fast just to get them done. Crappy jobs, I did just to get it done. Never cared about how long it would last or how well it was put together or looked. Now that I'm older I realize that there's no rush...just take my time and do things right!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jptl04
yep, rockford fosgate recommends that you take the speaker signals after the stock amp to the 3sixty. not gonna disagree with them they make the processor

and thank you.
I guess that'll make my future set-up easier to do. Saves me the trouble of redoing the center speaker, which I never use anyway (no navi)...
Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I can see the logical progression then.

It's funny, I'm 30 now and I'm starting to see the frustration and wasted time I had spent doing things really fast just to get them done. Crappy jobs, I did just to get it done. Never cared about how long it would last or how well it was put together or looked. Now that I'm older I realize that there's no rush...just take my time and do things right!
yeah if you want some thing done a certain way, you must have patients "Danielson " it took me alittle over a month to do all the work, and thats just a few hrs a day, i do have another job.

plus if you want something done right you have to do it yourself unless its out of your realm of ability. no one is gonna be as careful or particular with your car more than you
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Bone stock tl-s

I guess that'll make my future set-up easier to do. Saves me the trouble of redoing the center speaker, which I never use anyway (no navi)...
your stock stereo has the ability to play 5.1 audio. i kept my center and replaced it with an Infinity Kappa 3.5 i have a small alpine mono center channel amp powering it. the 3sixty has a center channel input for an amp. all my speakers in the car are amplified.

i used this amp it's perfect
Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You want it right do it yourself, Ain't that the truth, or go see an installer to do all my stuff, I was quoted $3000.00, JUST TO INSTALL, PLUS ANOTHER $600 for the "bit one" I'm all hot & heavy to get !
Holy shit batman !!!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
You want it right do it yourself, Ain't that the truth, or go see an installer to do all my stuff, I was quoted $3000.00, JUST TO INSTALL, PLUS ANOTHER $600 for the "bit one" I'm all hot & heavy to get !
Holy shit batman !!!
3,600.00 for an install like this!!!!! im in the wrong business if i had more time each day to do this i could have done it quicker 2 1/2 - 3 weeks tops. some days i only worked on it like 2-3 hrs other days 0 hrs
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
how does your sub sound facing trough the armrest like that ? i have a similar design to what you did but im just using pdx amps and a boston G5 in the middle. altough the sound sounds good you can tell its not tuned well. It becomes peaky at certain frequencies and for some music its just not right. i guess im getting a lot of cancellation even though im completely sealed of from the trunk.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
how does your sub sound facing trough the armrest like that ? i have a similar design to what you did but im just using pdx amps and a boston G5 in the middle. altough the sound sounds good you can tell its not tuned well. It becomes peaky at certain frequencies and for some music its just not right. i guess im getting a lot of cancellation even though im completely sealed of from the trunk.
it sounds awesome, so awesome its the second time i did it. the first time it was facing the trunk. the bass sounded muffled. with the sub facing into the cabin i get good hard tight bass, that you could feel. its the only way i would do a sub upgrade. i dont get the corner enclosures at all. how does the bass get in the cabin?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Racer

Tom over at Beach sound probably has one on the best things going for car audio, Nothing but the best gear, and He does sell the everyday stuff to pay the bills, But, Honestly I won't pay someone 3000, to do an install, I have 3 amps 2 sets of 3 way components wire and all the goods, dynamat, distribution, fuses box, little crap that add to the install I'm sure if I bought everything from Him, I'd be spending $9000.00 out the door. But 3000 to install, for something I can do in a few weekends. You need to thing of the Bit One, If your into audio, the 3sixty is crap, I have one going in temporarily, the Bit One allows you to sum and completely dial your system in.

bass get in the cabin , by way of the old sub spot.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
Tom over at Beach sound probably has one on the best things going for car audio, Nothing but the best gear, and He does sell the everyday stuff to pay the bills, But, Honestly I won't pay someone 3000, to do an install, I have 3 amps 2 sets of 3 way components wire and all the goods, dynamat, distribution, fuses box, little crap that add to the install I'm sure if I bought everything from Him, I'd be spending $9000.00 out the door. But 3000 to install, for something I can do in a few weekends. You need to thing of the Bit One, If your into audio, the 3sixty is crap, I have one going in temporarily, the Bit One allows you to sum and completely dial your system in.

bass get in the cabin , by way of the old sub spot.
car audio is expensive well there are meets all the time in irvine maybe once you get your bit one installed you could make it out to one of them. i would love to hear it and compare the sound. im gonna have to research this "bit one" who makes it and how is it tuned?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Pro

bitone is much better than the 360...

Bit one made by Audison...tuned via PC USB Connection

jptl04...i highly rec that you reconsider your choice in subwoofer driver and enclosure...at higher volumes the front of the w7's distort when front loaded in a bandpass manner...such as the case you have here...not to mention you'll haave some weird phasing and eq issues..i know because i experienced it on my own personal install back in sept...called JL to confirm it...and sure enough...JL does not recommend these drivers in such a way that you have and I had...

just an fyi...

-Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
bitone is much better than the 360...

Bit one made by Audison...tuned via PC USB Connection

jptl04...i highly rec that you reconsider your choice in subwoofer driver and enclosure...at higher volumes the front of the w7's distort when front loaded in a bandpass manner...such as the case you have here...not to mention you'll haave some weird phasing and eq issues..i know because i experienced it on my own personal install back in sept...called JL to confirm it...and sure enough...JL does not recommend these drivers in such a way that you have and I had...

just an fyi...

-Jason
jason, i dont know what kind of hearing you've got must be something super human. what i hear sounds awesome. i really dont turn it up at super high levels for long. i seen your set-up and i dont need my roof or my rear windshield to flex. dont get me wrong, thats awesome. just too much for me. its a sealed enclosure just facing the ski pass i wouldn't consider it a bandpass. what are these weird phasing and eq issues? maybe i might be able to detect them with my normal human hearing. LOL! JK

you prolly have some kind of device that tells you any issues or problems with the sound quality. but if my ears dont hear it, and it sounds great so thats fine with me for now.

i would really like to hear this bitone in person to hear just how much better this sounds is.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, very nice work and very clean everything fits so flush in there.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Pro

jason, i dont know what kind of hearing you've got must be something super human. what i hear sounds awesome. i really dont turn it up at super high levels for long. i seen your set-up and i dont need my roof or my rear windshield to flex. dont get me wrong, thats awesome. just too much for me. its a sealed enclosure just facing the ski pass i wouldn't consider it a bandpass. what are these weird phasing and eq issues? maybe i might be able to detect them with my normal human hearing. LOL! JK

you prolly have some kind of device that tells you any issues or problems with the sound quality. but if my ears dont hear it, and it sounds great so thats fine with me for now.

i would really like to hear this bitone in person to hear just how much better this sounds is.
it most certainly would be considered a bandpass...you have a rear sealed chamber firing into a front ported chamber...the skipass acting as a port...an untuned uncontrolled port....remember...if you're firing into an enclosure where the opening is smaller than that of the speaker mounting baffle ...in essence is essentially acting as a port...

see what i'm saying?

-Jason
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Bone stock tl-s

it most certainly would be considered a bandpass...you have a rear sealed chamber firing into a front ported chamber...the skipass acting as a port...an untuned uncontrolled port....remember...if you're firing into an enclosure where the opening is smaller than that of the speaker mounting baffle ...in essence is essentially acting as a port...

see what i'm saying?

-Jason
yeah, i see what you're saying. jason... remember i dont know too much on this stuff. but my ears dont lie. it sounds awesome.

i seen your other thread on your build, its awesome. and sometimes you explain shit on there talking about HZ's DB's and whatever order slopes. im like "speak english" ha,ha. JK. im just an amateur dude. with some building skill.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Bone stock tl-s

i live like two blocks away from "Speaker Works" dont know if you've heard of them, they been around for years. they do high end installs i might check them out and maybe they could demonstrate this bitone.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

i must say i agree with him... I though by centering the one sub in the armrest opening and sealing it of from the trunk and also pretty close around it, that I would be good to go but for some reason i cant listen to lets say nickleback, it just sounds out of control and in my case it doesn't hit the lows at all until i open up the windows.

i have some pictures if someone could upload it for me to show what i did.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
i must say i agree with him... I though by centering the one sub in the armrest opening and sealing it of from the trunk and also pretty close around it, that I would be good to go but for some reason i cant listen to lets say nickleback, it just sounds out of control and in my case it doesn't hit the lows at all until i open up the windows.

i have some pictures if someone could upload it for me to show what i did.

www.imageshack.us

free upload.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2882c.jpg

there you go....
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

What kind of mirrors do you use in the enclosure?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Bone stock tl-s

What kind of mirrors do you use in the enclosure?
its 1/8" mirrored plexi, there's a place near my home that deals with all kinds of plastic material, they sell everything there i just give them the dimensions and they cut it. they also cut my 3/4" piece for the box
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

its 1/8" mirrored plexi, there's a place near my home that deals with all kinds of plastic material, they sell everything there i just give them the dimensions and they cut it. they also cut my 3/4" piece for the box
That's awesome, you have everything right down the street!! haha

I want to find a supplier near me so I can get a mirror under the hood
Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Pro

my only gripes aesthetically about your install is...

the baffle board of your enclosure...y did u choose to do t-nuts which r exposed through the enclosure vs just doubling up the baffle board which would look alot cleaner...

the install is too flat... throw some curves in there

y did u choose to use exposed screw caps on all of the acrylic panels?

to me it looks raw and unfinished...build another trim panel and cover them screw caps!

-Jason
Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Bone stock tl-s

my only gripes aesthetically about your install is...

the baffle board of your enclosure...y did u choose to do t-nuts which r exposed through the enclosure vs just doubling up the baffle board which would look alot cleaner...

the install is too flat... throw some curves in there

y did u choose to use exposed screw caps on all of the acrylic panels?

to me it looks raw and unfinished...build another trim panel and cover them screw caps!

-Jason
those t-nuts are more than enough to hold that sub in place, i thought of doubling the face for the sub, but didn't want to add any more wood. i could have easily covered the exposed screws with some of that spray in like 10 seconds, but i think they look cool like that so i left them.

that flat design is on purpose im gonna make panels and carpet them to go over the amps and processor dvd drive. i still want a usable trunk. i didn't want to get all crazy with fiberglass curves shit like that. i wanted a simple clean look to it. nothing over the top or overdone.

the screw caps can be covered with another panel, but i like them there, i dunno i place some carpet over them just to see how it will look then i'll make my decision.

thanks for your input bro what sub and enclosure would you recommend?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM

What time should I drive my car where ever you are to have a similar install done? Free of charge of course!

J??!
We tend to look for stuff that could be better or look nicer etc...but it's all subjective. That ish looks perfect.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Racer

You live in Orange, I just my house on the corner of Maple & Jewel, I know speakers works well, He got me on the dynaudio kick. My system is being installed right now, In Torrance near Honda, (my work) But if you'd like to know about the BitOne go see Tom at Beach sound in Huntington, the guys ears are golden and could tune an empty beer can to sound like a set of Wilson Alexandria's, well almost.......
Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet....Very impressive!

Quick Reply: My custom audio video upgrade install with 3sixty.2