"my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rlaguirre7
I just got me tl and I want to be able to play dvds in it but I have no clue what I have to buy to get it to happen, so I saw that you had dvd and I was wondering if you could tell me what I have to do in order for this to be possible. Thanks
Welcome aboard. You will find that a little bit of searching will go a long way. Perform a search for "TVandNav2Go" and you will find a lot of info on adding DVD video to the factory navigation.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey jptl04, nice setup. i got a ? tho, do u know where the stock amp in a 05 tl? i tried to look in the trunk but its all covered up. is it okay to replace the stock subwoofer with a better one while usin stock amps.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by socalcarmodder
hey jptl04, nice setup. i got a ? tho, do u know where the stock amp in a 05 tl? i tried to look in the trunk but its all covered up. is it okay to replace the stock subwoofer with a better one while usin stock amps.
the stock amp is located behind the passenger side kick panel. you could replace the stock sub for a better one, but the stock amp probably wont have enough power to push the sub like it's supposed to. i guess it all depends on what kind of sub you are using.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Opium den in

Nice job jp
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear

hey jp thanks for the tips. i saw the bundle of wires u made is that for connecting the stock amp to the 360?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=jptl04]
Originally Posted by urbaita1
In my opinion, as a former electronics junkie and installer... this is the cleanest, best install I have seen yet.

thanks all for the compliments, i used the 3sixty .1 and used the palm one treo 650 to wirelessly tune it, via bluetooth connection. i took the signal from factory deck after the stock amp.

this was my first attempt it came out good, a little too plain and simple. i only had the sub ampified. so when i decided to redo the whole system i wanted to do something a bit more complicated and creative. i don't do this for a living, guess im just good with my hands, and i have all the tools
p.s. woodshop was my favorite class
JP, I can't add anything to the compliments everyone has given you. It's by far the best install in a TL I've seen anywhere. I have a question for you about the 3Sixty, cause I have one installed in my 2004 TL and I'm having a lot of trouble with the bass. I've swapped out my 3Sixty.2 once already, and I've changed out the amp as well. Each time it sounded great for a few days, then something goes wrong and the bass just gets muddy and loses power. This is my setup:

Alpine MRD-M605 mono amp
Alpine MRV-F545 4-way amp
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 (taking the speaker-level signal after the stock amp)
A/D/S/ 346cs front components
Polk Momo MMC-650 coaxial rear deck
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 sub

Would you mind checking exactly which wires you tapped into for the connections to the 3Sixty for the sub? Mine is connected to the Yellow/Black (Sub +) and Light Green/Red (Sub -) speaker-level wires, which according to a chart that Crutchfield tech support gave me, those are the right ones.

Any advice on the gain settings on the sub amp or OEM setup for the 3Sixty.2?

I'm pulling my hair out on this one, I need help!!!
Thanks.

P.S. By the way, if you have the 3Sixty.1, I think you can just buy a code from Rockford Fosgate to enable the ".2" features in the unit.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
2004 TL

JP, man, I just now found your other post about the accident, after asking you all those questions. So first things first, sorry to hear you went through that, I had no idea, and I'm glad you made it back from that okay. Good thing they could get put you back together again. You're among the lucky ones. Best of luck with your next project. I look forward to seeing more pics.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Where the dash tweeters easy to remove?? How do I take them out? Also I thought that the grey plug (seen in your picture with the kicker wire) was to send the signal to the factory amp from the head unit. So did you skip the factory amp completly and get the signal off the head unit or did you get the signal after the amp?? Can you please explain it to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by aztec209
Where the dash tweeters easy to remove?? How do I take them out? Also I thought that the grey plug (seen in your picture with the kicker wire) was to send the signal to the factory amp from the head unit. So did you skip the factory amp completly and get the signal off the head unit or did you get the signal after the amp?? Can you please explain it to me.
the tweeters pop off pretty easy, a little prying ith a small flat tip screwdriver, or you could stick a paperclip end into the small grill and pull it up alittle and pop off. the wires coming out of the grey connector is the coming from after the amp to the speakers. so i had it.... signal from factory deck to factory amp the from factory amp to the 3sixty. so yes signal after the amp.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jptl04
the tweeters pop off pretty easy, a little prying ith a small flat tip screwdriver, or you could stick a paperclip end into the small grill and pull it up alittle and pop off. the wires coming out of the grey connector is the coming from after the amp to the speakers. so i had it.... signal from factory deck to factory amp the from factory amp to the 3sixty. so yes signal after the amp.

Would you recommend using the factor wires after the 3sixty or should I run new wires to each speaker just like you did. Also why did you run new wires to them?? Was it because you just wanted a clean uncut soild wire running to them so that there was any chance of picking up any electronical pulse from the surounding areas. (hissing or humming)
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

omg omg so so nice! Well done, pure envy over here.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by aztec209
Would you recommend using the factor wires after the 3sixty or should I run new wires to each speaker just like you did. Also why did you run new wires to them?? Was it because you just wanted a clean uncut soild wire running to them so that there was any chance of picking up any electronical pulse from the surounding areas. (hissing or humming)
Thanks.
running new wires from the stock amp to the 3sixty is the best way imo cuz thesignal is clean and straight to the processor instead of going all throughout the car. less chance of hiss or distortion. my system had no hiss or humming at all. the front components tweets and mids had to go to a crossover, thats why i ran new wires, then from crossover to the amp. why use wimpy stock wires when doing an uprade? might as well go all the way.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

running new wires from the stock amp to the 3sixty is the best way imo cuz thesignal is clean and straight to the processor instead of going all throughout the car. less chance of hiss or distortion. my system had no hiss or humming at all. the front components tweets and mids had to go to a crossover, thats why i ran new wires, then from crossover to the amp. why use wimpy stock wires when doing an uprade? might as well go all the way.
As soon as all my stuff comes in I will be putting it in. I bought the same wire that you used. I didn't know how much wire I would be using so I bought the hole spool (400 feet). This way I know that I'm noy going to run out of wire. Anyway thanks for the help. If there are any tips that you think would come-in handy please post . Again thanks.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
7th Gear

How did you power the DVD player? I'm trying to install mine (it's not a Myron), and the harness has four wires: blue (+12V remote out), black (ground), red (ACC +12V), yellow (back up +12V). it also comes with an optional cigarrete lighter hook up, but i was thinking of connecting the power harness to an ignition power source, perhaps the fuse box.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Cruisin'

Very nice install jp. I'm doing a similar one right now and I have a couple questions I was hoping you might be able to answer:

* You said you screwed the mirrored plexiglass into the box. Where were the screws? How did you hide them?
* Did you make that front transparent panel yourself also, or is that premade? It looks like it has
a dark strip around the edge where the screws go. Is that just paint?
* How are you lighting the box? LEDs, CC tubes?
* How did you attach stuff in the trunk? Did you just use metal screws and go right into the body, or bolt it down, or what?

Any advice is much appreciated. I'll post pics when my install is done.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

how the hell do you play at full volume without shattering the glass/your eardrums(whichever blows first)?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Pro

One more question regarding taking the signal after the stock amp.

For the fronts there are separate wires for the tweeter/door speaker. I assume you used the wires going to the door speakers and ignored the tweeter wires, and then the 3sixty will "convert" this signal before going into your aftermarket amps?.?.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Actually... the front speaker wire are the same (Door and Tweeter).... it just splits at one point and head towards the door and the tweeter... the tweeters have a small crossover built into them...

Your described flow diagram sounds right...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Racer

what are those lights under around the kickpanel coming from... it looks awesome.. are they just LED strips u taped down there?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I was wonderin if you have an electric schema of your install...specially for the 3sixty. Im in the process of installing my carpc and I really want to maintain the 5.1 PLUS add some subs and change speakers to improve sound quality.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Damn what a pimped out ride!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Wow, that thing is clean! I really like the components you chose.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i wonder how u got it without having any hiss in ur speakers are u controlling the volume via the sixty knob or the stock volume button. I might be wrong but since our stock amp has hiss on its own u just can not have it without especially since everything is being amplified...So i do have hiss, slight but only while using the stock volume control. If i leave the stock volume at 30 and run the setup and then control the volume with the 3sixty remote knob i get zero hiss at zero volume. Its probably there when u turn it up but u cant hear it cause the music is way louder anyhow .....the only problem thoe is that the 3sixty know isnt really linear. I ended up using the stock volume button.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

thanks man, they are 19" maya rt5 3 peice wheels
Hey Jptl04!

As if you haven't heard this enough already...

Nice install!! Super clean.

Was there any advantage to tapping into the wires AFTER the oem amp as opposed to before? I've never owned a 3Sixty, but all things being equal, wouldn't you get a clearer signal by tapping into the wiring BEFORE the amp? I'll be doing this myself soon, so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought an 08 Type S and my first purchase will be a 3Sixty.

Also, Crutchfield sells an aftermarket wiring harness. Do you know if this is the same connector as what's on the oem amp?

Crutchfield Harness

Tony
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by Tony407
Hey Jptl04!

As if you haven't heard this enough already...

Nice install!! Super clean.

Was there any advantage to tapping into the wires AFTER the oem amp as opposed to before? I've never owned a 3Sixty, but all things being equal, wouldn't you get a clearer signal by tapping into the wiring BEFORE the amp? I'll be doing this myself soon, so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought an 08 Type S and my first purchase will be a 3Sixty.

Also, Crutchfield sells an aftermarket wiring harness. Do you know if this is the same connector as what's on the oem amp?

Crutchfield Harness

Tony
i'm not an audio expert, but others have done the install before the amp as well. for me i did some research and from what i read it was better to get the signal after the oem amp. i have no complaints it sounded great. i say sounded cuz that car was totaled in an accident.

i now have a 07 type-s and plan to do something similar to that install. as for the that harness i don't think you'll need it. the only signals you need to take from the stereo are the speaker signals.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
i wonder how u got it without having any hiss in ur speakers are u controlling the volume via the sixty knob or the stock volume button. I might be wrong but since our stock amp has hiss on its own u just can not have it without especially since everything is being amplified...So i do have hiss, slight but only while using the stock volume control. If i leave the stock volume at 30 and run the setup and then control the volume with the 3sixty remote knob i get zero hiss at zero volume. Its probably there when u turn it up but u cant hear it cause the music is way louder anyhow .....the only problem thoe is that the 3sixty know isnt really linear. I ended up using the stock volume button.
I haven't found any hiss issues with stock HU. I've run BTL's between the HU and AMPs, eliminating the stock amp all together, to flatten the signal, but no hiss issues. Use stock volume control for front stage and have separate volume control for subs...
Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks like alot of weight. I love the setup though, nice and clean!!
You should have weighed your car before and after... haha.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^thats a fact, if performance is one of the goal!!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I haven't found any hiss issues with stock HU. I've run BTL's between the HU and AMPs, eliminating the stock amp all together, to flatten the signal, but no hiss issues. Use stock volume control for front stage and have separate volume control for subs...

did u ever go after the stock amp to find out that is not good and went instead from the head unit directly......

do u think is better to go before or after the stock amp.....I dont have much hiss but there is some especially in the back wich i happend to hear even with the speakers connected directly to the stock amp, now its just more amplified.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
3sixty before amp or after?

Hey Jptl04!

Tony
I'm curious to know as well. I have the same quesiton as well. I have all the components sitting here but have been reading to find out where the 3sixty should be connected to: directly from HU or after stock amp?

Peace,
Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
I'm curious to know as well. I have the same quesiton as well. I have all the components sitting here but have been reading to find out where the 3sixty should be connected to: directly from HU or after stock amp?

Peace,
I've read in another thread that Rockford Fosgate recommended to tap in after the OEM amp. I don't know if this is true or not. Someone needs to call them and confirm. I work nights and by the time I usually wake up they're already closed. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Tony
Old 02-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've read in another thread that Rockford Fosgate recommended to tap in after the OEM amp. I don't know if this is true or not. Someone needs to call them and confirm. I work nights and by the time I usually wake up they're already closed. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Tony
Let us know if you find out anything on this. Thanks Tony.

Peace
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Let us know if you find out anything on this. Thanks Tony.

Peace
Well, like I've read on this site before, RF just confirmed that their preferred method of installation is after the OEM amp. The guy I talked to, Jeremy, told me that noise from the high level outputs after the amp should not be an issue.

I explained to him that I was of the opinion that with all things being equal, low level signals are much preferred over their high level counterparts. He agreed. However, he said that most OEM systems do not provide a true signal before the amp and if you try to tap into these pre-amp wires their signals will be meaningless to the 3Sixty. Sounds conceivable. I certainly don't know enough about OEM systems in general, or the TL OEM system, to say any different.

Personally, I will do the install as they recommend. If there are any sound issues I can't resolve after the install, I might try doing it before the amp. Hopefully, there will not be any problems with the preferred method.

Tony
Old 02-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

you are now one of my official favorite TL's ever.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
did u ever go after the stock amp to find out that is not good and went instead from the head unit directly......

do u think is better to go before or after the stock amp.....I dont have much hiss but there is some especially in the back wich i happend to hear even with the speakers connected directly to the stock amp, now its just more amplified.
We took out the stock amp al together, took up space and wasn't needed...I have absolutely no hiss...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
-=2005 TL=-

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
We took out the stock amp al together, took up space and wasn't needed...I have absolutely no hiss...
I have the 3Sixty.2 setup currently but have floor noise (hiss) issue and I'm connected post factory amp. When you eliminated the stock amp, did you loose any of the factory controls, such as HFL? Because the HFL works even when the stock radio is off. Just wondering. Since you removed the factory amp, do you have the wiring diagram for the factory amp (pre-amp & post-amp). Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by topckret
I have the 3Sixty.2 setup currently but have floor noise (hiss) issue and I'm connected post factory amp. When you eliminated the stock amp, did you loose any of the factory controls, such as HFL? Because the HFL works even when the stock radio is off. Just wondering. Since you removed the factory amp, do you have the wiring diagram for the factory amp (pre-amp & post-amp). Thanks in advance.
All controls/functions work...hfl, etc...as far as wiring diagram, King of Pain sent me one, I have one somewhere, but will need to dig it up...it may be a few days, but I will send it to you
Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I have floor noise with my 3sixty.1 as well. Never found a way to get rid of it. Kinda sucks!!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been wanting to get either the 3sixty.2 or the new alpine processor but I worry about noise too. My Navone LOCs are quiet. ChicoOG, I'll have to check you set-up. You're running active crossovers, right?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a 3sixty.2 and I don't have any hiss, noise or whatever... I have it installed as per Rockford... After the stock Amplifier... The key is to solder and properly shield the connection to the 3sixty from the leads of the factory amplifier. Then run the 3sixty setup and set up your amp gains properly... My sound didn't sound right until an experienced audio installer TUNED my system properly. It was like night and day.

I've heard that the new Alpine unit doesn't work well in the TL due to our EQs changing profile from one volume level to the other (EQ profile been Volume dependent).

What I've been waiting for is the JBL MS-8... It's supposed to be the wave of the future.

Quick Reply: "my custom audio system upgrade w/ 3sixty!"