Is my Bluetooth malfunctioning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my Bluetooth malfunctioning?

I am really getting frustrated with the voice recognition system. It always takes the third or fourth try for it to recognize a name. I even have a lot of trouble getting it to recognize “yes” so it will dial the person I selected. I have fan turned off, and speak loudly right into the microphone while trying to speak as clearly as possible.

Is it me, or is the system not working properly? Anyone else having a problem?

Thanks,
Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this is probably not a solution to ur problem. But i grew out of talking with the HFL, its a great handy tool i admit, and safe too, but just not my cup of tea. So i talk the conventional way, although i do use the voice recogniction when i have to find nearest ATM or so on, what a great tool.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
I Want CD Text for 35k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jime
I am really getting frustrated with the voice recognition system. It always takes the third or fourth try for it to recognize a name. I even have a lot of trouble getting it to recognize “yes” so it will dial the person I selected. I have fan turned off, and speak loudly right into the microphone while trying to speak as clearly as possible.

Thanks,
may be a stupid question but do you have an accent?

is this system a learning system? meaning, does it take time to adapt to your voice? how long have you had the car?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:46 PM
VTEC HoooA

I have the same issue with mine. I get alot of comments from passengers about the car possibly having a learning disability.

I always ask them how many commands it takes to get their cars to perform...!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never had it misunderstand a VALID command, although stating an invalid, or at least improperly worded, command does sometimes yield some humorous results. (I had a lot of fun with "Mute" which is a valid command during a connected phone call, but not at any other time. I'd hoped to use it to mute the radio, but not go... using voice command button OR HFL button. Still... the car seems to pick a random command every time I try. )

On another note... when answering the phone, I'll push the talk button, wait a second, and say hello, but the person NEVER hears me the first time. It's like there's a four or five second delay between the time I push the button (and hear the phone connect) and the time when the other person can hear me. Is THIS normal?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Instructor

I get it to work as long as I wait for the MFD to switch over to the HFL page before I say anything, but that really doesn't take that long. Sounds like there might be some issues with either your phone or HFL.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1. The problem has to be with the Bluetooth and not the phone, because the problem occurs before the phone is dialed.
2. Even if I had an accent (my Californian wife says is Midwestern twang), I am trying to duplicate a name that I recorded. My recording would include any accent I might have.

What amazes me is how the Bluetooth gets dialed numbers correct the first time, almost every time. I guess I need to come up with some phonetically very unique names for the people that I call most often.

Thanks,
Old 11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced

I thought it was annoying that the HFL must confirm every name I recorded before dialing, but it sounds like this is a necessary "feature" if it fails to recognize those names frequently. Is it possible to turn off confirmation in HFL the same way one can turn it off for Nav and Audio commands?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:16 AM
loves his TL!

Originally Posted by jime

Thanks,
Try to use longer names such as "Jim's cell phone" or "Jim at home" as opposed to just "Jim". also after the system asks "Do you want to call 'Jim at home'?" hit the HFL button again and say yes. Works for me 100% of the time.

good luck!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car won't recognize "Call Mom"....when I say the command, it keeps calling "Bill"..or anyone else it feels like except my mom. I've about given up using voice commands...it's embarassing when you've got friends in the car, and try and use voice recognition commands...and have to keep doing it over and over. Technology is great but only when it works. I think it's a gimic Acura uses in their commercials to make people think the car is this high tech marvel..and it is to a point..but voice recognition is in the early stages of development and should never been included in the TL until it's perfected.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Slacker

i use first and last names which helps alot, but some names are similar in sound to numbers and that sometimes screws it up for me
Old 11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

I no longer answer "Yes" when asked, "Would you like to call ..." I just press and hold the button and it dials. I too find that the caller doesn't hear my first "Hello" after receiving a call. I have to wait a moment and then the caller can hear me. Sounds like Dirac has the solution although I'm not really clear on what "wait for the MFD to switch over to the HFL page" means.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Acurazine Addict

Hmmmm... That's weird, my car seems to understand everything I state perfectly fine. Never had a problem with the HFL ever. The car even recognizes "ya" and "yup" instead of "yes" commands. I always knew my baby was gifted.

I do believe the pause before a call is connected is normal. It lags by maybe a second or two before I can actually converse with the person on the line.