My Bluetooth Audio Streaming Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
My Bluetooth Audio Streaming Installation

-With the Belkin Car Audio Connect AUX:

I already have a USA Spec PA15-HON3 in my 06 TL that I had installed last year. Prior to that, I was using a Blitzsafe adapter and a Scosche iPod remote. Since having the USA spec adapter in the car, I've been really satisfied with it, but I wanted some Bluetooth functionality for audio streaming (like many of us do), so I set out to install an AUX Bluetooth connection for my iPhone (the iPod still is connected to the 30 pin adapter in my car for when I want to listen to the iPod music).

I selected the Belkin as it lends some control over the phone and your music (allows you to advance tracks on Pandora) when it's connected, and more importantly (to me), I wanted a device that was always connected to power (I know a lot of the BT Aux devices are rechargeable, and I didn't want the hassle of having to recharge the device). It can also function as a BT phone device, but my HFL works fine, and I'll continue to use that for the phone function. I'd rather not have to look at the phone to advance tracks on Pandora, so the ability to do this was a definite plus for me.

-I thought about mounting the control unit (button) externally for better visibility, but there's really no good flat surface to mount it, and I didn't want any crimping or tension on the wire, so the front lower compartment gets the vote.

Anyway, on to the deconstruction:

Here, the center console needs to be taken down and my USA spec was behind my pass. side knee panel, so that needed to come off as well. There's a tutorial on center console removal here on Azine that's excellent, so no need for me to repeat that:

In the above pic, I've taken off the knee panel, as well as the metal surround of the shifter, the shift knob, and I've removed the center console pieces just below the head unit (where the charger port is in the lower compartment).

Next, I thought for a while how I would like my USA Spec's location changed (in the event it ever needs a firmware update), so I decided to move everything to the rear storage under the armrest (the deep compartment). I originally wanted to put the Belkin in the front smaller compartment and power it from there, but the small spring loaded door of that compartment would close with some resistance because of the plug in of the Belkin (it would close but wasn't a smooth action). Therefore, power was going to come from the rear port, even if the button would be up front.

What I then did was to take out the under HU compartments and make an opening for the wire to the pushbutton of the Belkin:

After drilling:

I used a small file to clean up the rough edges after drilling.

Next, test fit the Belkin:

making sure there's no binding of the wires.

Installed:

I then relocated the USA Spec to the rear compartment as I couldn't find a satisfactory place to have it up front:

(this is after all the wiring was run and zip ties were used to secure the wires)

Here's the Belkin button in the compartment after reinstallation:

Stealth Installation:

Notes:
-Remember to set the dip switches on the USA Spec properly, otherwise, the Aux will not work (I was driving myself nuts trying to figure why it was only working sporadically at first). I have mine 1 on (AUX) 2 off, 3 on, 4 off
-this is the Folder + Direct Mode configuration

-If there's a downside, it's only that to activate the Belkin, you have to push the button once when starting the car (button will be red) and after it connects, it turns blue. I know many here like an auto connect for the BT, and so do I, but it's a small price to pay for this.

-the only other items I needed to do this job were RCA to 3.5 mm male jack ($3.50 on Amazon), and a female to female 3.5 mm coupler (I believe $2 or so on Amazon). The device itself was $59.99, so overall, it's a pretty inexpensive way to have Bluetooth audio streaming in the TL.

-My iPod stays in the upper rear compartment, connected and ready like I want it to be. I hit preset button #4 to get the iPod function and #6 to get the Aux, so all I have to do is just hit these to get it all to work.
The iPod is controlled from the steering wheel and the iPhone via BT by means of the Belkin.

I'm very satisfied how this all turned out. I cut the rubbers of the rear compartment and the lower front compartment (probably could have done a more precise job in the front to make to cut circular to surround the Belkin mount, but it's really not noticeable. It's all plug and play, and as long as you can take the console apart, it's pretty straightforward to do.

Last edited by erdoc48; 04-19-2013 at 05:12 PM.