music link opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
music link opinion

well not exactly opinion but I am assuming there are lot out there who owns TL who hasn't jumped onto this music link and has ipod..

my thing is that i am DYING to hook up ipod to tl.. but after initial music link dissapointment....

rite now.. i am almost desparate to just hook up AUX port so that i can do the ipod through car..

but my problem is that.. what if music link will get upgrade over the course of the time.. and perfect it so that things become better than what they are? i dont wanna do aux port now.. and then have to go through music link later when they are perfect...... do we know when they will have this thing perfected?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:50 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

I'll tell you my BIGGEST problem with the music link, and why I don't feel like it will be corrected anytime soon.

I have close to 7000 songs on my iPod. there's no way to tell what's playing on the ipod. There's no song titles anywhere. if you look at the ipod, it says, do not disconnect. so I have to turn of the car to "safetly" remove the iPod. controls are IMO difficult.

the thing is not user friendly.

now why I think it will not be corrected?

we can't even display CD titles on the screen. I can't see a software upgrade to allow this on our Navi system. if they were to be able to implement this, it won't be on our cars, it will be on a future model.

If I could see what was playing, i might have been able to deal with the control scheme. But there's no way i'm gonna "guess" what song is playing on my iPod.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No car cd player has ever shown me a CD track name. The HU IS able to process a artist name and song alla XM ... It can be done, I just think the ol engineers at acura tried to rush this thing out! If MB's can do it (german electronics SUCK in comparison) then I am almost positive it is feasable with the acura HUs.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

so what is everyone doing? i got ipod ONLY because of this.. now i am stuck.. and i stop burning CDs........ this is bad.. and i refuse to put this music link as they are.. but i can't imagine why they cannot do a major software upgrade.. i can't believe apple came up wd this lame as integration
Old 01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
No car cd player has ever shown me a CD track name. The HU IS able to process a artist name and song alla XM ... It can be done, I just think the ol engineers at acura tried to rush this thing out! If MB's can do it (german electronics SUCK in comparison) then I am almost positive it is feasable with the acura HUs.
What are you calling BS on? That cars CAN indeed display the track name...? because they can. The RL does, FX35 does, and so do other cars. BUT, the CD must have the track names encoded into it.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by convenientstore
so what is everyone doing? i got ipod ONLY because of this.. now i am stuck.. and i stop burning CDs........ this is bad.. and i refuse to put this music link as they are.. but i can't imagine why they cannot do a major software upgrade.. i can't believe apple came up wd this lame as integration
i use the tape adaptor and have been pleased with the results. it's the cheapest, easiest, and most reliable method IMO. i tried the iTrip and it sucks in my area, can't find a station. i'm content with the quality as well, though it can be better by using other methods
Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
What are you calling BS on? That cars CAN indeed display the track name...? because they can. The RL does, FX35 does, and so do other cars. BUT, the CD must have the track names encoded into it.
Yep..it's called CD-TEXT and it along with RDS is something I would have expected from a so-called "high-end" system like the TLs. There are cheap aftermarket stereos that can display it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
do a little research before you call BS

CD-Text
CD-Text is an extension of the Red Book standard for audio CDs. It allows for storage of additional information (e.g. album name, song name, and artist) on a standards-compliant audio CD. The information is stored in the lead-in area of the CD (there is roughly five kilobytes space there), or in the Subchannels R to W on the disc, which are not used on Red-Book compliant CDs. About 31 megabytes of information can be stored there. The text is stored in a format usable by the Interactive Text Transmission System (ITTS). ITTS is also used by Digital Audio Broadcasting or the MiniDisc.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

My take after two days

I have to say I'm a bit bummed. I've had the Music Link for two days now. The sound (as everyone else has mentioned) is great. The interface leaves me wanting a bit more. Takes some getting used to and I know I'll be able to live with it, but its not the fast, random access to any track you're used to on the iPod. My plan was to buy a used 60G to dedicate to the car, but I can't imagine browsing that much music via the current interface, so I'll stick with my Nano for now.

My list of annoynaces:
  • TTS Browse by Artist doesn't work. The announced names are right, put once it plays them, its not the right artist (I can't even tell what it guessed at). Going to retry the Acura TTS software to see if it got a playlist wrong or something. Playlist, Album and Genre seem to work (as does shuffle Album and Shuffle All).
  • Install is not that great (though this could be the dealer - I was thier first install on ANY model). The placement of where the cable comes into the glovebox gets in the way if you have the owners manual in there. A little rearranging got it to work, but disappointing.
  • After cycling through "A... B... C..." to the letter you want then hearing all of the
  • No support for Compilation (iTunes/Apple support for this is weak at best to begin with, but palletable)
  • Totally different interaction for changing "discs" then with the real 6-Disc changer. I find myself hitting the "3" button only to realize I need to hit Disc +/-
That all said, it is still the only way to get a direct audio connection to an iPod on a NAVI and still keep XM (and not feel like MacGyver getting it setup) that I know of.

I'm not hopeful about an upgrade soon (if ever). The biggest hope would be on the next rev of the NAVI software since that is the only way I can think of them delivering it, but even then I'm not holding my breath (and non-NAVI floks are SOL). Even though this probably a software upgrade to the audio program, and probably isn't that hard (one of the benefits of Windows for Automotive), the real cost is in the delivery. Honda not only has to do the software engineering, then devise and execute a delivery program so that serivce folks don't hose the whole NAVI unit. Then comes the cost/benefit analysis - how many MusicLinks are out there, or how many might we sell? How much money does fixing existing units vs. just putting on the next model year.

The one hope - looks like the interface was done by Alpine - there is a copyright notice on the CD that is similar to the one on the Navi. It would be dependant on the MusicLink HW being able to pass the info to the headunit, but hopefully Alpine was smart.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

My third annoyance should have read:

After cycling to the lett you want, then hearing the titles (artist, etc), there is no way to go back to a different letter with out listening to something. Even then, say your on "Disc 3" and on "L" the next time you go to browse, it only plays goes through "L" again. I've had switch "discs" from 2 to 3.

Again, I'm just getting used to the thing, so it could be a DFU error, but it still seems kludgy,
Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by w1n78
i use the tape adaptor and have been pleased with the results. it's the cheapest, easiest, and most reliable method IMO. i tried the iTrip and it sucks in my area, can't find a station. i'm content with the quality as well, though it can be better by using other methods
I agree. Use the tape adaptor for now and save the $400 for something else (eg. nice rims, suspension, exhaust, etc.).
Old 01-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

i am really happy just using my aux input and cancelling my xm this for me was the best way to hear 600 songs and still have control with my steering wheel buttons
(my volume and switch between radio, cd, aux input, or tape)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Figured out my artist issue

Chaulk up another gripe - iPod cannot be in Compilation mode. If it is, the Browse by Artist (Disc 2) doesn't work.

Lame.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:58 AM
7th Gear

Tape adaptors are horrible

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I agree. Use the tape adaptor for now and save the $400 for something else (eg. nice rims, suspension, exhaust, etc.).

If the tape adaptor sounds "good enough" for you, this whole argument shouldn't apply to you.

If the tape hiss and muttled quality is OK for you, you dont have a very selective ear. You may as well get an ipod boombox, and listen to that in your car.

If the music link does nothing else - the quality of sound is perfect.

Dont forget - this is version 1.0 - there will certainly be upgrades. The artist problem is a complaint across the board. I am certain an upgrade for the software is in the making. What actually is happening is the artist that plays when you select it is the one AFTER the actual one you selected in chronological order. For example, if you have the following artists in your ipod under D: Deelite, depeche mode, and Dido - and you want to select Depeche Mode - The artist after will play (ie Dido).

As for titles appearing on the screen - I am not very hopeful.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Dr. Feelgood

[QUOTE=waqar]If the tape adaptor sounds "good enough" for you, this whole argument shouldn't apply to you.

If the tape hiss and muttled quality is OK for you, you dont have a very selective ear. You may as well get an ipod boombox, and listen to that in your car.

Hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion! I didn't say the tape adaptor was perfect, I just said for the time being, since music link has some obvious flaws or shortcomings. It's not like I don't want crystal clear music in my car, but for what you pay and what you actually get, it's worthless! Until they upgrade the unit, other than sound quality, it's a piece of crap! Don't be sore because you spent $400 and found out that you didn't get what you had hoped for! Grow up already!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sequoia
do a little research before you call BS
meh ... my bs was more toward the fact that the text COULD be shown with a little effort. I'm a computer engineer. If i werent so lazy and a bit more motivated I'd look into this myself. I'd need pinouts and an API for the HU though ...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by waqar
If the tape adaptor sounds "good enough" for you, this whole argument shouldn't apply to you.

convenientstore asked what others are doing, so relax my friend. i can live with random hisses. after awhile i ignore it. besides i replaced my stock speakers and added 2 more amps. so my setup may be different from yours. my iPod through the tape adaptor with alpine speakers and amps is for my ears - i'm not an audiophile

to each his/her own
Old 01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
If I have read the other posts about the music link correctly it does sound like the bang for the buck isn't there yet. The price to retrofit an 04/05 is more than an ipod itself and then ties you to an iPod. iPods are great but if I understand the music link correctly it doesn't bring forward the ipod's true greatness of how easy it is to control via the wheel. It sounds like song navigation is more difficult and less functional than everyone had hoped for.

While I am not a big fan of people messing with phones, music players and PDAs while driving I am seriously considering installing one of those switcheable aux input devices that taps in via the XM and letting mp3 player sit in the center console cup holder. I just can't see paying more than the price of an ipod for something that only lets you use an ipod. Am I missing something ?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced

No, you're not missing somethiing

Originally Posted by Adobeman
If I have read the other posts about the music link correctly it does sound like the bang for the buck isn't there yet. The price to retrofit an 04/05 is more than an ipod itself and then ties you to an iPod. iPods are great but if I understand the music link correctly it doesn't bring forward the ipod's true greatness of how easy it is to control via the wheel. It sounds like song navigation is more difficult and less functional than everyone had hoped for.

While I am not a big fan of people messing with phones, music players and PDAs while driving I am seriously considering installing one of those switcheable aux input devices that taps in via the XM and letting mp3 player sit in the center console cup holder. I just can't see paying more than the price of an ipod for something that only lets you use an ipod. Am I missing something ?
You said it very kindly. I had really bad words for the musiclink. I did the switcheable aux input modification on my TL recently and love the sound quality. I just bought a switchbox from Wal-mart and put it in the armrest so I can switch between XM, iPod, and another device (e.g., portable DVD player -- audio only).

Dennis
Old 01-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I just want to make 5 or so playlists on my iPod and then just alway have it on random play how easy is it to swap between those playlists? I can deal without seeing song info on the nav because 90% of the time I listen to my iPod I have it on random and don't look at it. As long as I can quickly change to a different playlist I think the Music Link might work for me. Though, I do agree with almost everyone here that it costs too much and needs an update badly.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Intermediate

My first option was to get music link if they did it rite.. but now that i dont see to my liking, I am looking for AUX in only option..... and looking for best way to do it myself(and easiest)..

Only thing I am worry is that they will come out with GREAT music link update... after i put the AUX in.. but we will see as I really want to put the ipod into action in my car..... so i was just wondering what everyone was thinking and doing.. but anywho... happi TL-Pod!ing!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Gotta say that after reading all this, the Harman Kardon Drive+Play is looking better and better!

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx
Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I must say, I am thoroughly disappointed in the Musiclink. I think Acura needs to go back to the drawing board on this one. Honda is well known for its ergonomically correct standards. This product must have been rushed out to meet demand as it is not up to Honda standards.

This needs a do-over!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Cruisin'

If I just want to make 5 or so playlists on my iPod and then just alway have it on random play how easy is it to swap between those playlists?
That would actually be pretty easy. You'd setup your playlists, run the TTS software, then in the car set CD-C to Disc 1. Then you'd be able to browse the playlists fairly quickly (especially if they all started with different letters) since there are only five.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kautiongsr
i am really happy just using my aux input and cancelling my xm this for me was the best way to hear 600 songs and still have control with my steering wheel buttons
(my volume and switch between radio, cd, aux input, or tape)
What are you using and does it display text? or let the ipod display text so i can see where i'm at on my list?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

Ddysart-

That is good to hear- can you select a randomizer within a playlist? I noticed that the press release mentions random for albums and all songs- however neglects to mention random for playlisting. Also- I assume you can advance to the next random song within a playlist easily?

Slightly depressing, but I would pay the $$ just to get the ipod out of sight- have the good sound quality, be able to randomize playlists, and advance to the next random song.

Thanks-
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

Another quick question to add-

I believe I read that Alpine had something to do with this adaptor. The Alpine ipod enabled head units have the inane limitation of 255 playable songs in a playlist. (Why do I have 4500 songs on the ipod Alpine?) Can anyone verify if the Music Link has the same limitation?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bhunter
Another quick question to add-

I believe I read that Alpine had something to do with this adaptor. The Alpine ipod enabled head units have the inane limitation of 255 playable songs in a playlist. (Why do I have 4500 songs on the ipod Alpine?) Can anyone verify if the Music Link has the same limitation?

I'd be happy if that was the only thing about it that sucked!!!! LOL

jjh1234
Old 02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ddysart
I have to say I'm a bit bummed. I've had the Music Link for two days now. The sound (as everyone else has mentioned) is great. The interface leaves me wanting a bit more. Takes some getting used to and I know I'll be able to live with it, but its not the fast, random access to any track you're used to on the iPod. My plan was to buy a used 60G to dedicate to the car, but I can't imagine browsing that much music via the current interface, so I'll stick with my Nano for now.

My list of annoynaces:
  • TTS Browse by Artist doesn't work. The announced names are right, put once it plays them, its not the right artist (I can't even tell what it guessed at). Going to retry the Acura TTS software to see if it got a playlist wrong or something. Playlist, Album and Genre seem to work (as does shuffle Album and Shuffle All).
  • Install is not that great (though this could be the dealer - I was thier first install on ANY model). The placement of where the cable comes into the glovebox gets in the way if you have the owners manual in there. A little rearranging got it to work, but disappointing.
  • After cycling through "A... B... C..." to the letter you want then hearing all of the
  • No support for Compilation (iTunes/Apple support for this is weak at best to begin with, but palletable)
  • Totally different interaction for changing "discs" then with the real 6-Disc changer. I find myself hitting the "3" button only to realize I need to hit Disc +/-
That all said, it is still the only way to get a direct audio connection to an iPod on a NAVI and still keep XM (and not feel like MacGyver getting it setup) that I know of.

I'm not hopeful about an upgrade soon (if ever). The biggest hope would be on the next rev of the NAVI software since that is the only way I can think of them delivering it, but even then I'm not holding my breath (and non-NAVI floks are SOL). Even though this probably a software upgrade to the audio program, and probably isn't that hard (one of the benefits of Windows for Automotive), the real cost is in the delivery. Honda not only has to do the software engineering, then devise and execute a delivery program so that serivce folks don't hose the whole NAVI unit. Then comes the cost/benefit analysis - how many MusicLinks are out there, or how many might we sell? How much money does fixing existing units vs. just putting on the next model year.

The one hope - looks like the interface was done by Alpine - there is a copyright notice on the CD that is similar to the one on the Navi. It would be dependant on the MusicLink HW being able to pass the info to the headunit, but hopefully Alpine was smart.
I just installed the ipod integration kit on my 2005 TL. And I noticed that my ipod freezes when I'm cycling the artist's name speech prompt. Im pretty sure its not the kit because when I listen to the "ZZZTTSA02" playlist using a headset, it will play the first 17 artist's files, then it will skip 48 name files then it will start playing 17 files again, then skip another 48 and so on. I tried deleting and reloading the speech prompts from my ipod and iTunes. I even tried deleting and reloading my ipod's software and still it didn't work. Is it because i'm using a 15gb 3rd generation ipod? On the manual, it says that you can only use 4th or later generations. It works fine when I use the Nano.

Have you experienced this problem?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bhunter
Ddysart-

That is good to hear- can you select a randomizer within a playlist? I noticed that the press release mentions random for albums and all songs- however neglects to mention random for playlisting. Also- I assume you can advance to the next random song within a playlist easily?

Slightly depressing, but I would pay the $$ just to get the ipod out of sight- have the good sound quality, be able to randomize playlists, and advance to the next random song.

Thanks-
Yes, you can randomize a playlist.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Animal Whisperer

I can't even get mine to work. It plays the tunes, but I can't select a playlist after having installed the software and all that. I have only just had it one night so far though, so I'll try again tonight and post more later. If I can just hit random to play a selected playlist, I think this thing is pretty nifty. Seems like some highs get clipped somehow though? Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Animal Whisperer

I've used both a 5g video and a 4g photo iPod and can't get any voice at all.... Only disc 5 and 6 work, 5 shuffles artists and 6 does the whole iPod from what I gather, but no damned voices... I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app and changed voices and everything on my Mac to no avail. On hold w/Acura who has no idea yet and probably won't at all. Anyone else run into anything like this?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by stingrey
I've used both a 5g video and a 4g photo iPod and can't get any voice at all.... Only disc 5 and 6 work, 5 shuffles artists and 6 does the whole iPod from what I gather, but no damned voices... I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app and changed voices and everything on my Mac to no avail. On hold w/Acura who has no idea yet and probably won't at all. Anyone else run into anything like this?
Stingrey, did you install the application (CD) in your PC or MAC? If you did, did you you sync it with you iPod. Disc 1 to 4 will not work it the TTS files are missing in your Ipod.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Animal Whisperer

Yep installed it, files are in iTunes, but don't see 'em on either iPod... Will reinstall tonight (a fourth and fifth time at least) to see if that changes anything, but in short, anyone else w/a Mac @ home who has this working w/their gear?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Animal Whisperer

NONE of the playlists created have anything in 'em, and ALL of the tts files "cannot be found" even though they were just created. I'm at a loss after reinstalling the app several times already. Anyone have anything for me to go on besides getting a PC?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Animal Whisperer

Another question, all of you with music link... Is the volume when you switch from the iPod to say FM or CD/DVD significantly higher on these other channels than it was when you were listening to the iPod? On mine there's a good amount of volume difference. And the highs are somehow clipped a bit like I was saying in another post. Wondering if you guys notice anything of this sort. Any feedback (even pointing me to other threads ANYWHERE else that can help me) appreciated.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Animal Whisperer

Ok, last post here for a bit as all is working now... I didn't have "copy files to iTunes" enabled 'cause I have never needed to use it in that manner... Now it works. Despite the no info thing, I LOVE the solution provided. It is fast, lets you select "random" on whatever playlist you want to hear (which is announced by voice, kinda nifty), and you basically get iPod integration. For what it is worth, it is a pretty clean look as you don't have any external display, etc.

BUT my above question about the audio quality still remains... I think the highs are clipped somehow. In some songs specifically with drum/cymbal intros, etc., it seems like something is missing. When I switch from CDC (ipod) to FM on a side note, the volume is way off between the two items. CDC is much lower than any other source. Anyone else have any input on this?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Racer

In my experience, the sound level between sources is very constant. Including the Music Link. Try turning ON the SOUND CHECK option of your iPod. It may also have to do with what program you ripped your music with.

jjh1234
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
rdxsteverino

Have you tried turning up the volume of your iPod?

Originally Posted by stingrey
Ok, last post here for a bit as all is working now... I didn't have "copy files to iTunes" enabled 'cause I have never needed to use it in that manner... Now it works. Despite the no info thing, I LOVE the solution provided. It is fast, lets you select "random" on whatever playlist you want to hear (which is announced by voice, kinda nifty), and you basically get iPod integration. For what it is worth, it is a pretty clean look as you don't have any external display, etc.

BUT my above question about the audio quality still remains... I think the highs are clipped somehow. In some songs specifically with drum/cymbal intros, etc., it seems like something is missing. When I switch from CDC (ipod) to FM on a side note, the volume is way off between the two items. CDC is much lower than any other source. Anyone else have any input on this?
The clipping of the highs may be due to saturation of RDX's sound system (amplifier) since you're probably turning it up really high. The iPod is the input signal to RDX's sound system, so a low iPod volume setting will result in a low output from your speakers. Try increasing your iPod's volume before you plug it into MusicLink.