Music Link Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to uncheck the "Enable Disk Use" option, but it is greyed out and I can't change it. WTF?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by jjh1234
I tried to uncheck the "Enable Disk Use" option, but it is greyed out and I can't change it. WTF?
Your iPod needs to be connected to iTunes. Then you can go into iPod properties (little icon on the lower right of the iTunes window) and uncheck that box.

Make sure you are running the most recent version of the iPod firmware and the iTunes software:

iPod firmware updater:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

iTunes update:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

With a brand-new connectivity kit from Acura, it's essential that you have the firmware and software updated as there might be drivers in there that are essential.

BJ
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
Your iPod needs to be connected to iTunes. Then you can go into iPod properties (little icon on the lower right of the iTunes window) and uncheck that box.

Make sure you are running the most recent version of the iPod firmware and the iTunes software:

iPod firmware updater:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

iTunes update:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

With a brand-new connectivity kit from Acura, it's essential that you have the firmware and software updated as there might be drivers in there that are essential.

BJ

I've done all those things. Maybe my old firewire 3G iPod does not support this option.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

I really dont think the "disk issue" is related to the problem, or solution of what we are trying to do. I feel we need to concentrate on the pinout wiring of the cable. I ordering the connector male and female so i can essentially make an extension cable between the music link adapter and the ipod removing or changing any wires that i see fit.

As soon as the parts come in i will begin working on this. If someone else has the capability work on this, keep trying!

Lets not let this die!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by dhartung02
I really dont think the "disk issue" is related to the problem, or solution of what we are trying to do. I feel we need to concentrate on the pinout wiring of the cable. I ordering the connector male and female so i can essentially make an extension cable between the music link adapter and the ipod removing or changing any wires that i see fit.

As soon as the parts come in i will begin working on this. If someone else has the capability work on this, keep trying!

Lets not let this die!
Have you tried updating your firmware, updating your software, and unchecking the little box?

You know, clicking the little iPod (below) and unticking the little "enable disk use" radio button?

It's a yes/no question.

BJ
Old 01-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I've done all those things. Maybe my old firewire 3G iPod does not support this option.
Here's the fix from Apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61019

BJ
Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Have you tried updating your firmware, updating your software, and unchecking the little box?

You know, clicking the little iPod (below) and unticking the little "enable disk use" radio button?

It's a yes/no question.

BJ
That is a yes or no question i cant answer. I am not the one having problem switching into Disk mode and Ipod Mode.

As i said earlier, i dont even have an ipod. I borrowed one for the trip home, I just got my music link installed friday.

Maybe you could try it. I am getting the parts to create a customizable patch cable to create the link i need between the ipod and the Acura.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I am getting the parts to create a customizable patch cable to create the link i need between the ipod and the Acura.
If Apple iPod dock could be modded to hold iPod reliably while car is in motion, it could do the trick. I am sure it is possible to disconnect unneeded wires inside the dock.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

The question is, does the doc even how all the wires need to do what we need. Alot of the doc only have power wires to charge, and usb/firewire wires to tranfer. We still need some of the serial connections so that commands can still be sent from the car.

Ipod Linux discussion forum has some great info on exactly what we are trying to do.
Im still researching, i will keep you posted.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Getting out of Air-Mode

Heres an interesting find. Check this out.....people over at Ipod Linux are trying to do the exact same things as we are.....but they seem to be a little more knowledgeable and making more progress.

http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopi...light=air+mode
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets not let this die!
wow where did you find a female connector?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

I ordered them from a guy over at Ipod Linux.

Heres his sales pitch:
I still have the connectors. There are two types available, one thicker
version and one slimmer version with shielding, but the later might need
to be glued together to keep closed as they are made for ultrasonic
welding (both fit the iPod dock connector, it is just the connector
cover that is different). The thicker version is available with white
or black cover, the thinner version is only available with white cover
(if you don't specify color when ordering, you will get white if still
in stock otherwise black). The thicker version costs US$ 2/each and the
slimmer version costs US$ 2.50/each. I also have the receptacle
connector for SMT/PCB mounting at US$ 4/each.

World-wide shipping will be US$ 4 for up to 20 connectors. You can pay
with Paypal to ipod_connector@hotmail.com. This account can only accept
payments from Paypal account balance, direct bank debit or eCheck, NOT
Paypal payments funded by a debit or credit card. If you only can do
credit card payments or can not do Paypal payments at all, please let me
know and I will arrange something else for you.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Apple Dock

Finally got off my butt and went and bought Dock to use as the base for my experiments. Out of the box, plugging the MusicLink into it then docking my Nano in the dock - there is no sound, no control from the head unit. The battery icon does indicate there is a charge, which doesn't surprise me. The MusicLink is probably providing voltage on the same pins as the USB/Firewire connector.

Additionally, the head unit still acted like there was no iPod connected. Makes me wonder if the MusicLink is smart enough to turn the inputs off if it doesn't think anything is connected. Since the Dock itself has a line out, my guess is it doesn't send that signal to the dock connector, so it sounds like my first test will be to do just that.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

That is a yes or no question i cant answer. I am not the one having problem switching into Disk mode and Ipod Mode.

As i said earlier, i dont even have an ipod. I borrowed one for the trip home, I just got my music link installed friday.

Maybe you could try it. I am getting the parts to create a customizable patch cable to create the link i need between the ipod and the Acura.
I own 6 iPod's but I don't own the Acura harness; until you can solve the problem, I'm not investing $450. Again, you may not need to order any pins and parts. A simple uncheck of the iTunes software may be the fix.

So....try to borrow a friend's iPod, uncheck the box, and let us know.

BJ
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

wow! 450 dollars!??! thats a ton! i only paid 330 for mine. Which is the same price as a new ipod lol.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

I own 6 iPod's but I don't own the Acura harness; until you can solve the problem, I'm not investing $450. Again, you may not need to order any pins and parts. A simple uncheck of the iTunes software may be the fix.

So....try to borrow a friend's iPod, uncheck the box, and let us know.

BJ
Ddysart,

Since it appears that you have both the music link AND the ipod, will you appease bj's request of unchecking the disk use feature. Once we get this attempt out of the way we can begin looking at more feasible solutions.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

wow! 450 dollars!??! thats a ton! i only paid 330 for mine. Which is the same price as a new ipod lol.
Try $495 - rolled into the purchase price so it doesn't sting as bad, but it still stings.

Ddysart,

Since it appears that you have both the music link AND the ipod, will you appease bj's request of unchecking the disk use feature. Once we get this attempt out of the way we can begin looking at more feasible solutions.
I'll give it a shot as soon as I figure out how to uncheck it (since its grey'd out). My friendly neighborhood search engine makes it sound like this is a common problem with Nano's (what I have).
Old 01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ddysart
Finally got off my butt and went and bought Dock to use as the base for my experiments. Out of the box, plugging the MusicLink into it then docking my Nano in the dock - there is no sound, no control from the head unit. The battery icon does indicate there is a charge, which doesn't surprise me. The MusicLink is probably providing voltage on the same pins as the USB/Firewire connector.

Additionally, the head unit still acted like there was no iPod connected. Makes me wonder if the MusicLink is smart enough to turn the inputs off if it doesn't think anything is connected. Since the Dock itself has a line out, my guess is it doesn't send that signal to the dock connector, so it sounds like my first test will be to do just that.

Same thing with my 3G iPod and dock. Shite!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Racer

Ok. By following those instructions I was able to uncheck the "Enable Disk Use". Unfortunately it did not help with the Music Link. Still goes to "Ok to Disconnect". It looks like all that does is disable the "Do not Disconnect" when connected to a computer and goes to "Ok to Disconnect" after a few seconds. Would have been too easy.

jjh1234
Old 01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Racer

I ordered them from a guy over at Ipod Linux.

Heres his sales pitch:
I still have the connectors. There are two types available, one thicker
version and one slimmer version with shielding, but the later might need
to be glued together to keep closed as they are made for ultrasonic
welding (both fit the iPod dock connector, it is just the connector
cover that is different). The thicker version is available with white
or black cover, the thinner version is only available with white cover
(if you don't specify color when ordering, you will get white if still
in stock otherwise black). The thicker version costs US$ 2/each and the
slimmer version costs US$ 2.50/each. I also have the receptacle
connector for SMT/PCB mounting at US$ 4/each.

World-wide shipping will be US$ 4 for up to 20 connectors. You can pay
with Paypal to ipod_connector@hotmail.com. This account can only accept
payments from Paypal account balance, direct bank debit or eCheck, NOT
Paypal payments funded by a debit or credit card. If you only can do
credit card payments or can not do Paypal payments at all, please let me
know and I will arrange something else for you.

Ok, I bought 4 connectors and 4 receptacles from him. Once I get them, the cable experiment will begin.

jjh1234
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Ok. By following those instructions I was able to uncheck the "Enable Disk Use". Unfortunately it did not help with the Music Link. Still goes to "Ok to Disconnect". It looks like all that does is disable the "Do not Disconnect" when connected to a computer and goes to "Ok to Disconnect" after a few seconds. Would have been too easy.

jjh1234
Damn. Oh well.....until you guys come up with a wiring solution, I'm going to sit this one out. My $29 Sony tape adapter will suffice. A little hissy and a little scratchy to the aluminum, but it's cheaper than a round trip ticket to London.

BJ

Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Racer

I agree the Music Link is a little expensive if you have the dealer install it, but not too bad if you have the option of installing it yourself. I really wanted an OEM solution because I did not want to hack my car too much with only 100 miles on it. If I was going to do it again, I would use the PIE solution that I found at Logjam here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/gm-2005-hydra-matic-6-speed-129030/

jjh1234

PS - I wanted to be happy with the cassette adapter I was using, but just could not stand the background noise. I'm too OCD about these things.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

to be honest, i feel that the music link is gonna do exactly what i want when i figure out what wire to snip snip If i can get it to do again what i got it to do accidently i will be 99% happy!

heres hoping!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

I found Something

Alirght!

i found something, i was reading through the forums and found someone elses post that says if you plug in the ipod when its not fully charged, turn on the key and you should be able to control the ipod.

Well i thinking back to when i was able to control the ipod. I had it plugged in and in the glove box. I had pulled over and let me G/f drive so i could play with it. I reached in the glove box and instead of saying ok to disconnect it said battery charged. Thats when i pressed the menu key and was able to do anything i wanted. Has anyone else experimented with this?

I wonder if this is some kind of error?

Can we exploit this?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

So iPod dock doesn't pass all wires. Apple is strange...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gt1
So iPod dock doesn't pass all wires. Apple is strange...
well its meant to be docked with a computer... so im pretty sure it only passes power and usb
Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

The revelation I had about the dock I bought is it is the "Universal Dock" meaning its got the line out jack on the back, plus a S-Video jack and the dock connector. A few minutes with the continuity detector really only told me the USB and Firewire pins are passed (for charging and syncing, I suppose).

The other thing is the dock has its on remote control circuit to support the official Apple remote. My inital thought was to bring the serial pins up from the rear dock connector and also hook up the line out pins, but the connections on the (err...) connectors are crazy small SMT points. I suck at soldering big things and know I'd probably screw up these tiny solder points.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:13 PM
kgd
Instructor

I have an RL, but believe the systems are pretty much the same. What if you were to trying using the iPod shuffle adapter. It looks like you could connect that to the Acura link cable and then plug the USB cable into the adapter. It seems like it will pass through audio and power at least.

Kris
Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I correct in that a few people here are awaiting a connecting cord that they will be using to experiment with the pins?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by colberto
Am I correct in that a few people here are awaiting a connecting cord that they will be using to experiment with the pins?

Yep, I'm waiting on the connectors I ordered from ipod_connector@hotmail.com. I ordered conncetors and receptacles to make a patch cord so I can connect the pins that I want without damaging the Music Link Cable.

jjh1234
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent Smithers!

Looking forward to hearing back on your results. There seem to be more and more people frustrated by the "control" part of the Link. I am sure the sound quality is as good if not better than 3rd party Aux in.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Racer

Yes Mr. Burns, I'll let you know first thing!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Just another dissapointed (in the AcuraLink offering) RL owner chiming in. I too am very interested in the IPOD solutions you are all working on. I don't have the technical expertise to help out, but I think you're all doing a great job with this thread. I'm sure there's a solution out there. Kudos to the individuals that figure it out first.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

I didn't get a chance to tinker too much this weekend as I was out of commission with the flu

My current thinking is along the lines of many of the other hacks that are out there for splicing into the XM input. Since one of the three parts that go with the Music Link install is a cable splits the XM bus connector, my thought is splice in a line level signal there. I'll probably send the line level signal through the Music Link since judging from photos of the circuit there could be some amplification going on from a couple op amps.

Additionally, since the dock connectors are sort of a pain to solder (at least for me), my plan is to work at the other end of the cable - the two 8 pin mini-DIN connectors on the Music Link box (hint: old Apple serial printer/modem cables used the same connecotr). This combined with one of the Belkin tune dock cables, I will probably make my own cable that will go to the iPod that will be mounted within view, either on a pro clip or some other VSM mount. I liked the idea of having it out of sight and out of mind, but really miss being able to se whats playing.

Is this going to turn the Music Link into basically a really expensive AUX input? Most likely. But I've alreeady bought and installed it, so I'm just trying to make the iPod more usable then the controls the player offers.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Racer

You think our acuras are screwed up. My friend just bought a 2006 honda civic si and the navigation on it has cd text and plays mp3's. He has the new ipod and the cable still only does what ours does. it does not display text nor does it let you control it. But he does have a mini jack input. Just thought i would share.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tfe691
You think our acuras are screwed up. My friend just bought a 2006 honda civic si and the navigation on it has cd text and plays mp3's. He has the new ipod and the cable still only does what ours does. it does not display text nor does it let you control it. But he does have a mini jack input. Just thought i would share.

This may be a longshot, but if the hardware in the TL and Civic is relatively the same(processor, nav computer) the Civic software might be compatible and just installed somehow. Maybe it could be loaded the same way as when you hack the navi loading screen?

Im no haxxor but someone might be able to do it. If it worked, the TL might be able to display track and cd info on the nav screen?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
This may be a longshot, but if the hardware in the TL and Civic is relatively the same(processor, nav computer) the Civic software might be compatible and just installed somehow. Maybe it could be loaded the same way as when you hack the navi loading screen?

Im no haxxor but someone might be able to do it. If it worked, the TL might be able to display track and cd info on the nav screen?

I thought that I read somewhere here that the hardware was newer and faster than the TL. I was not paying attention when I bought my TL, because I had just test drove a new Accord and I assumed if the Accord had the new system, the TL would have it too. I got screwed on that one. Oh well.

jjh1234
Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I think it has to be more than just firmware for the nav. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that for the CD TEXT to work the drive has to be compatitable too. But in our case I guess the music adapter that Acura has might have to be modified to send the information over to screen.

I was looking at the Apple Remote Protocol at ipodlinux, and it seems like we would have to implement our own controller to retreive the text from iPod and then convert that text so it can be shown on the screen.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThaShef
I think it has to be more than just firmware for the nav. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that for the CD TEXT to work the drive has to be compatitable too. But in our case I guess the music adapter that Acura has might have to be modified to send the information over to screen.

I was looking at the Apple Remote Protocol at ipodlinux, and it seems like we would have to implement our own controller to retreive the text from iPod and then convert that text so it can be shown on the screen.
Yeah, it definitely sounds like, that to make one that works perfectly, we're going to have to do it ourselves instead of waiting for a solution from Acura or Apple. In the words of Napoleon Dinamite, "I wish I had some sweet computer hacking skills." My buddy at work is amazing with C, J, and VB. Maybe I can get him on board or at least get me started? Keep the ideas coming fellas and thanks for all the effort so far in this experiment!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Yeah, it definitely sounds like, that to make one that works perfectly, we're going to have to do it ourselves instead of waiting for a solution from Acura or Apple. In the words of Napoleon Dinamite, "I wish I had some sweet computer hacking skills." My buddy at work is amazing with C, J, and VB. Maybe I can get him on board or at least get me started? Keep the ideas coming fellas and thanks for all the effort so far in this experiment!!!!
See if he knows how to program a PIC microcontroller or a FPGA. I wish I had more time, I know how to program both of them and it wouldn't be too hard to program something like this. It would be really easy for Acura to do something like this, but for some reason people are not thinking at Acura...instead they came up with adapter thats pretty much useless.

Quick Reply: Music Link Experiment