MP3 player hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MP3 player hook up?

AUDIO: Part I

Q: How do I add iPod support?
A: There are a few options for iPod integration with the car. The factory option is to go with the MusicLink. The aftermarket options include USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Blitzsafe HON/MLink1 V.2X, Harmon Kardon Drive+Play, and the Valor iLink. The audio interfaces allow you to listen to your iPod through the factory headunit, charge your iPod, and provide limited controls. Currently, it is not possible to integrate the iPod with touchscreen control support from the factory navigation screen. Here is a quick summary of the modules. Simply click on each module for the respective threads.

Acura MusicLink
The highly anticipated Acura MusicLink turned out to be a major disappointment to the Acurazine community. The MusicLink allows you to integrate iPod controls to the factory system via CD-C (external CD changer) emulation. Due to its price and lack of features, most members choose other aftermarket solutions.
Pros: Factory option, Plug-n-play, great sound quality, keep XM radio with Y-harness
Cons: $$$, Difficult to use/navigate through songs, no track/album/artist titles, shows track title up to track 99 and reloops. Details here
Other Relevant Threads:
Music Link "OK to Disconnect" Fixed
MusicLink
Music Link Experiment
Acura Ipod Music Link for 2004 TL

USA Spec PA11-HON2y
The PA11-HON2y is an upgrade to the popular USA Spec PA11-HON2. The newer model fixes interference and locking issues as well as adds an integrated XM Y-adapter. Both models provide iPod integration as well as an extra auxillary input for another audio device. Two play modes are allowed: direct mode or playlist mode and can be controlled by a toggle switch on the module. The playlist mode works like the MusicLink and allows you to navigate the songs with factory controls. The direct mode allows direct control from the iPod itself.
Pros: Direct control via iPod, keep XM with Y-adapter, Plug-n-play, cheaper than MusicLink, great sound quality, extra aux-in for another audio device
Cons: CD-C emulation track issue similar to MusicLink, no track/album/artist titles
Other Relevant Threads:
PIEx3 vs PA11-HON2Y
Occassional Skipping on the USA Spec PA11-HON2Y
USA SPEC PA11-HON2Y Problems

Blitzsafe HON/MLink1 V.2X
Probably one of the more affordable and simple solutions out there, the Blitzsafe MLink provides an iPod connection to the factory headunit and with the built-in Y-adapter, XM is retained. All controls are done via the iPod itself. There have been a few revisions of this module. Some have reported flawless operation ('04 TL) while others encounter bugs (mostly '05-'06 TL).
Pros: Direct play mode, keep XM, one of the cheapest modules out there
Cons: CD-C emulation track issue similar to MusicLink, no track/album/artist titles, no factory controls
Other Relevant Threads:
Blitzsafe I-pod adapter 100% functional
Blitzsafe HON/M-LINK1V.2X Honda/Acura Interface for iPod

The following modules allow iPod support, but require additional hardware

Blitzsafe UII Universal iPod Interface
This is usually an option for someone that already has an aux-in interface (see below) and would like to add iPod support. The Blitzsafe UII uses RCA connections and requires another aux-in interface (PIE X3, Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX) to connect to the factory headunit. This module charges the iPod and all controls are based on the iPod itself.
Pros: Direct play mode, charges iPod, not expensive
Cons: no track/album/artist titles, no factory controls, requires another aux-in interface (more cumbersome), requires a power/ground connection for iPod charging
Other Relevant Threads:
My iPod and Sirius Integration (Aux-In) w/pics

Valor iLink
This iPod module requires a separate video interface AND another aux-input interface, but it displays the contents of the iPod on the factory navigation screen via RCA cables.
Pros: Displays track/artist info, navigation is similar to iPod interface, play video from the iPod
Cons: Requires a video interface and another aux-in interface, remote control (no touchscreen support), requires a car adapter
Other Relevant Threads:
Ilink finally Installed!!
TVandNav2Go, Valor iLink, DVD Changer, and PIE X3 & Jensen A/V Switches Installed
iLink NOT Compatible With New iPod Nano or 80GB Color iPod; All Other Models Ok
Valor iLink does not work with new iPOd software 1.2.1

Harmon Kardon Drive + Play and Drive + Play 2
The Drive+Play is a general iPod integration kit not designed for any car in particular. The kit includes everything you need to add iPod support to your car. The Drive+Play 2 is the lastest version and is soon to be released.
Pros: Display album/track info on its own display, aux-in/wired FM/wireless FM support. On D+P 2: wireless controller, bigger full color screen, album art display, usb flash memory support, optional bluetooth and sirius support.
Cons: "Bulky" - display screen, media hub, and controller, pricey
Other Relevant Threads:
Bought HK Drive + Play: Someone Please List EXACTLY what I need for 3.5mm Install
Drive+Play, audio inputs, and Lots of questions....

Q: How do I add support for my non-iPod portable MP3 player (aux input)?
A: There are currently a few aftermarket interfaces that will add auxiliary input(s) to the factory head unit: Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX and the P.I.E. X3.

Anyone using Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X for AUX?
Blitzsafe Hon/aux DMX V.2 does NOT work on 06 TL non navi
BlitzSafe Adjusting Firmware for the DMX V.2x; Eliminates the XM Bleed Issue

It is also possible to splice into the factory wires to add an aux input. See this thread for details:
DIY audio 'aux in'

Q: Where can I buy these aftermarket audio interfaces? What online stores would you recommend?
logjam
enfig
myradiostore
discountcarstereo

Q: How do I access the back of the head unit to install an audio interface?
A: There are a few good posts:
Looking 4 Instructions to Access back of Radio/NAV to install USA Adapter for ipod
Crook's Picture Howto for the USA Spec at posts 92-93
jmbnova's Comptech Short Shifter Howto

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/17-oem-cl-type-s-rims-sale-145820/

I tried to read and understand some of the above but has anyone come up with the best choice and how much it costs? I was just going to run a cable from the center console to the MP3 player, but obviously some of the aforementioned mods might be a better choice.

Is there a consensus among the board members on this?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Rime

Question

Originally Posted by TL Marlin
[I]AUDIO: Part I

Is there a consensus among the board members on this?[/B]
I second the question. Surely there has to be a consensus on the best MP3 option for the 2004 TL? I don't like the aftermarket install look; I want something that integrates with the factory radio and Navi without losing any other functionality if possible.

Thanks very much for your time.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
The "best choice" is relative. What features are you really interested in and what sacrifices are you willing to make?

For the sake of it:

For iPod, most go with the USA Spec (roughly $120), though there are recent threads on issues. Just perform a search to pull those up.

For aux-input (other MP3 players), Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX and PIE X3 are popular.

I'm not quite understanding the "aftermarket install look" idea. With most of these modules, what you will see at the end is an added wire to connect your portable music player. It's up to you where/how you want to wire things up. For instance, you could route the iPod connector from the USA Spec to the glove box and have your iPod in playlist mode. Then it would act/look just like the factory MusicLink.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Question

For cars, TVs etc I am willing to do research, but for my MP3 player interfacing best with the TL, I am not sure I can invest the time. So I am hoping others with more knowledge can make a sound recommendation based on their experience. I have a Creative 30g mp3 player that works through the center console cable hook up. Though I can set it to play the songs on a particular play-list, I have no control other than opening the console and adjusting the MP3 player itself.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Intermediate

Question

ttt